Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 9, 2012 1:17:07 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Great characters and acting by all. Mouse was funny.....in a deadly sort of way!

If you've not read any of Walter Mosley's Easy Rawlins mystery books, I can almost guarantee you'll be hooked. His Leonid McGill series is good, too.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:49:47 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
The Man Who Wasn't There

Crime/drama about a blackmailing, chin-smoking barber. Great cinematography. Billy Bob Thornton, who I normally dislike, delivered a good performance. Pace was a little slow. Definitely not my favorite Coen film, but absolutely worth watching.

7.5/10

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 1:16:17 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 1:16:41 PM PDT
stevign says:
Bella:

Thanks for the heads-up Bella.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 1:17:30 PM PDT
stevign says:
Your name is "SOULPOLLEN HOGWALLOP"? With all due respect, your parents should be horse-whipped. Just sayin'..........

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 3:07:03 PM PDT
El Emmarino says:
stevign, ain't nothin'. The town tried but "Mrs. Hogwallop up and R-U-N-N-O-F-T"

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 4:51:17 PM PDT
stevign says:
And Mr. HOGWALLOP?

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 5:00:59 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Mr. Hogwallop was stuck up in the loft of a barn in flames shouting "Damn! I'm in a tight spot!" while the community was outside cursing his name.

Posted on Jul 10, 2012 10:15:34 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 10, 2012 10:18:55 PM PDT
Zolar Waka says:
You Will Meet a Tall Dark Stranger [Blu-ray]

I've seen this 3 times now. This is a Woody Allen movie that flew under the radar...the one he did before "Midnight in Paris." Really great look at how aging affects relationships for both genders, with parallel subplot involving the next generation's similar trials. Also, futility of religion, mysticism, sexx, etc., as escapism from aging and death. This is a really good movie...bogged down only by wooden performances from Naomi Watts (mostly) and Josh Brolin. Gemma Jones is great; Lucy Punch, Anthony Hopkins and Antonio Banderas are really good. Frida Pinto is alright. If you like Woody Allen, you will like this. (8.3/10)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 10:46:23 PM PDT
That one slipped by me. I'll check it out asap.

John Sayles' Passion Fish

Varied themes woven together by Sayles the weaver! It's the details that make the film here; the smallest tidbits of character, of scenery, of message, all creating a vivid portrayal of people not exactly happy with their lives, and where they ended up. The acting is absolute top-shelf. Mary McDonnell, Alfre Woodard, David Strathairn, and Vondie Curtis-Hall lead from the front.

An authentic feeling dip into the south in a tale of betterment and empathy, I give it 7.3/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 10, 2012 11:10:50 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
That's the movie where I fell hard for Alfre Woodard. Such an underrated actress.
You've seen 'Mumford'?
Among other reasons, that's well worth seeing for Zooey Deschanel's debut, and Pruitt Taylor Vince acting up a storm.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 5:51:36 AM PDT
Nup. Haven't seen it yet. One of Kasdan's better films, huh? Kasdan: Mr. Middle of the Road.

I reckon I fell for Woodard after seeing...well....Passion Fish!

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:27:26 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
>"Kasdan: Mr. Middle of the Road."<

Yeah, generally. To me 'Mumford' is his best work, and I guess you might say "edgiest" movie. Jason Lee's best role, that's for sure.
I like 'Silverado' and 'The Accidental Tourist', though. Not everyone likes those.
And I really liked 'The Promotion', which you gave two tries for, and to no avail? So there's no telling for sure, but I think you'd like 'Mumford'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:33:24 AM PDT
El Emmarino says:
Mumford was a pretty decent movie. However, my favorite Jason Lee role was in Mallrats. Stupid movie but oh such a great guilty pleasure!

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:55:07 AM PDT
Silverado is a wonderful film--you can't beat the opening, and it's smart all the way through. And I did like The Accidental Tourist as well, although it's been some time since I saw it.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 9:18:24 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 9:21:21 AM PDT
Any suggestions on "Film Noir" films to watch. Just started checking for some.
A top ten would be appreciated.
Thanks!

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:25:22 AM PDT
Warren: Well, just a few off the top of my head--Kiss Me Deadly (noir and atomic paranoia--a personal favorite); Out of the Past; Double Indemnity; T Men; The Narrow Margin; The Big Sleep (as twisted and convoluted as the novel from which it comes); Murder, My Sweet; Lady in the Lake; The Blue Gardenia; The Maltese Falcon (maybe more noir-ish than noir, but a great film); and for neo-noir, I quite liked The Black Dahlia and Hollywoodland. Not to mention LA Confidential and The Usual Suspects.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 1:08:09 PM PDT
stevign says:
Mumford was good.....and different.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 1:09:03 PM PDT
stevign says:
Silverado was awesome.....that's right, I said "awesome".

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 1:22:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 11, 2012 1:22:43 PM PDT
stevign says:
~ Kill The Irishman ~

I saw this free on TV yesterday; not a major motion picture by a long shot but not a cheap B-Movie either. This biopic of Cleavland's notorious gangster Danny Greene turned out to be pretty darn good and the excellent cast is nothing to turn one's nose up at either. (Look for a very overweight Val Kilmer)

"In 1976 alone, 36 bombs exploded around the Cleveland area. It was soon to be called "Bomb City, U.S.A."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=x2zN53Vwnz0

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 2:10:22 PM PDT
Joe says:
The last movie I watched worth mentioning is Machine Gun Preacher and I was blown away by it. I went in excepting a shoot em up action flick but realized when I saw in the opening credits that it was based on a true story that I was in for something more. The story follows Sam Childers and his struggle with drug addiction followed by his discovery of faith and then by his struggle with balance his family and his adoptive family (the children of Sudan who were being turned orphans and soldiers by Joseph Kony). Gerard Butler really shows quite a bit of range in this movie going from drug addicted criminal to newly found religious man to "warrior for God" as he states numerous times throughout the movie. It is definitely a must see.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:02:30 PM PDT
stevign says:
Machine Gun Preacher? Horrible title...but it does sound a bit interesting though.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 7:05:25 PM PDT
Well I just watched Fargo for about the fourth time, and is there anymore that needs to be said about it?

Well, I guess I should mention my favorite scene: Marge talking to the two hookers: "Go bears!"

Overall, this is my 7th favorite film of all time. 10/10.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:17:24 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Well I just watched Fargo for about the fourth time, and is there anymore that needs to be said about it?"

Other than sharing great lines........no.

Marge Gunderson: Ah, hon, ya got Arby's all over me.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:18:51 PM PDT
Oh Jeez.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 11, 2012 7:24:54 PM PDT
Joe says:
Yea the title is weird, but it's a name he gained over in Africa and it's actually the name of his website
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions