Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Marilyn Monroe

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 74 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 20, 2013 8:33:53 AM PST
GGG says:
I've been on a few Amazon discussion sites, and this seems to be a busy one... certainly a lot busier than one devoted to literary fiction.

There must be a few people out there interested in reading about Marilyn Monroe, despite so much that's been written about her.

I just self-published a novel. It's called The Psychoanalysis of Marilyn Monroe and the book is essentially her talking about her experiences, movies, people she knew.

She also happens to find out about the assassination of J.F. Kennedy a year before it happens.

Posted on Jan 20, 2013 10:28:49 AM PST
Geeee, GGG! Do you run across that item about her house being "wired" with listening devices by the FBI, (ostensibly to see what she was saying about JFK, the wiring job supposedly being ordered by RFK who, I have seen in places, also ordered her death), in your research? I was wondering if there was any legitimate documentaion on that. I always wondered what she saw in Joe DiMaggio. She sure drove him nuts... well, he was a little nuts already. :-D Good luck with your book.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 6:00:34 AM PST
GGG says:
One of the things I wanted to keep away from in the novel was any kind of "conspiracy" theories. It's possible her house was bugged... but the interesting part, I think, of the novel is Marilyn really listening to herself talk, trying to understand the reasons she felt so anguished, going back through all her experiences (yes, and her marriages too, to DiMaggio and Miller) to see if she could change, become someone else. For me, writing the novel was also an attempt to understand how some of us can't ultimately accept the past, how it piles up - in more ways than one - and we get buried under it... or we bury ourselves. "She drove him nuts." Interesting point here about DiMaggio. They were very different people, wanted and needed different things. One of my favorite parts of the novel is set in center field at Yankee Stadium in the middle of the night after shooting the famous scene with her skirt flying up.

Thanks for your good luck. I hope a few people besides family and friends read it.

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 8:25:13 AM PST
MarcoVG4 says:
She also spotted bigfoot and was abducted by aliens....I should write a book too......

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 2:42:03 PM PST
GGG,

Try not to be too bothered by comments from Marco, there will always be people like that. Best of luck on your book. Be not deterred.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 21, 2013 3:29:07 PM PST
Forget the butter, Jeff, you're STILL not getting a free copy!!

Posted on Jan 21, 2013 5:07:38 PM PST
Well, I tried.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 11:19:07 AM PST
GGG says:
Thanks. No, comments from people who haven't read the book don't bother me at all.
But I'm starting to realize that posting comments here might not be the best way to be productive.
I'm writing another novel. That should keep me busy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 22, 2013 11:20:04 AM PST
GGG says:
Marco,
you have to read the novel first before deciding how to evaluate it.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 11:24:26 AM PST
I don't usually volunteer to review books, GGG, but I do have a mild interest in Marilyn Monroe. If you want to send me a used copy, I'll do an immediate read and review it for you. Reviews (for books that are good) seem to jump start sales sometimes -- I was a top 500 reviewer (top 1000 right now) for awhile but I have gotten lazy lately because I'm writing my own book so my ranking had taken a slide of late, plus Vine reviews have eaten up a lot of my time. You can check my book reviews (go back a ways for lots of my book reviews) to see how I present things. I don't work too hard on Vine reviews. If you're interested, let me know and I'll give you my e-mail for an address to send it. It's up to you and I won't be in the least offended if you don't have any to send out.

pat

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 1:02:48 PM PST
MarcoVG4 says:
GGG - I don't have to bang my head against a brick wall to know it's going to hurt. I have no problems with you writing a book. Do what you want.

It's that last phrase in your original post, "She also happens to find out about the assassination of J.F. Kennedy a year before it happens" that prompted me to post. How did you prove this? And why you when hundreds of others have researched her death endlessly? You state you don't want to include any conspiracy theories yet you bring this up? Did you hear this from Natalie Wood?

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 4:31:44 PM PST
A year before Kennedy's death, Marilyn was dead already.

Posted on Jan 22, 2013 6:23:48 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 22, 2013 6:28:08 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I think some here are missing that GGG has written a NOVEL, as in fiction, based on MM's life. By its very nature, most of it will be speculation and, well, fiction. I once read a novel written in the form of a faux autobiography of the great soprano Maria Callas. Anyone familiar with Callas' life could easily see where the author was inventing events. In addition, where the writing covered known events in Callas' life, the author usually gave her own spin on the meaning of them to the soprano, meanings that had very little real connection with what is known of Callas' own attitudes about them. She also invented Callas' motives for many of her controversial decisions. The result was a book that was at least three quarters invention, with the remaining fourth misrepresentation. I've seldom read anything so irritating and, at times, disgusting. It's the only book on Callas I did not keep in my library because of its worthlessness. The author claimed to be a psychiatrist, apparently believing that would give her invention some greater credibility.

Now, that's not to say one couldn't write a very entertaining novel on a famous person's life. Obviously, one could, but even if it is good, one mustn't look to a novel for an authoritative treatment of that person's life. GGG's book on Monroe may be very pleasing, but to expect true answers in it to any questions one may have about the actress is foolish.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 5:30:16 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Cav
I got that much, all right.

Actually by creating a thread here to hawk his novel, GGG is in violation of Amazon's policy against self-promotion by authors except in the space dedicated to that purpose. I'm rather surprised that Amamom hasn't removed it, because She swiftly does that to other authors that try that stunt. GGG's book may be interesting in itself, but I think his purpose in posting this was to shill.

Nobody's complained yet, and I certainly won't--free market economy and all. Amamom certainly makes enough money off us buying Her stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 7:04:49 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Writing "biographical novels" about people who are comparatively recently dead, that is, within the memory of the living, always strikes me as somewhat creepy. Look at Hilary Mantel's brilliant novels about Thomas Cromwell; Cromwell is historical enough that an author can put any words she wants in her subject's mouth, and it's fine. Everybody who knew Cromwell is dust. His existence is now partly fiction in even the most rigorous scholarly biographies.

But there are still plenty of people around who knew Marilyn Monroe. I don't know how long a real person should be gone before we start in on her, but this seems a little off.

Since the title is the "Psychoanalysis of", is the author a psychiatrist or psychologist, or has he ever spoken to anyone who actually knew Marilyn?

Poor Marilyn; she'd become a Symbol long before her death, the stuff of fevered conspiratorial imaginings. Like Natalie Wood times a thousand.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 7:45:44 AM PST
Hikari says:
Marilyn has inspired more fetishes than any woman since Cleopatra. What would drag queens do for an act without Marilyn?
----
Have you seen 'My Week With Marilyn'? Michelle Williams transforms herself into Monroe, albeit a less pneumatic MM. She's got the walk and jiggle and the breathy vocal delivery down, though. Diarist Colin Clark, on whose slight memoir this equally slight film is based was accused during his lifetime by people who knew Marilyn and even his own associates of being a fantacist--that his purported 'affair de coeur' with Marilyn that he reports in his diaries never happened, and all that was actually true was that he happened to be a flunky on "The Prince and the Showgirl" set. A flunky with delusions of grandeur. Colin got a lot of mileage out of the incident, whether it was manufactured or true; I don't know how hard we can be on him--he was 23 years old and in daily proximity with Monroe. Who among us is *not* guilty of penning fantasies in a diary?

Cute film. Williams wows, but Eddie Redmayne & Sir Kenneth Branagh make the movie as Colin and Larry Olivier, respectively.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 7:48:12 AM PST
Rita Reader says:
I agree with others who have pointed out you are not supposed to hawk your books on this forum. I have read a huge amount of the books out there about Marilyn and it just never ceases to amaze me the things people write about her. But his book is after all fiction. GGG, best of luck in your endeavor, but this is not the place to push it.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 10:41:15 AM PST
vivazappa says:
What would you do if you found Marilyn Monroe in your bathtub naked?
"Rubber balls and liquor!"

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:15:29 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
vivazappa

Well, first of all, I would be shocked out of my mind! Considering how long she's been dead, the matter of her being naked or not would be beside the point.

Let's say, though, that somehow I were transported back to the late fifties or early sixties and I found her naked in my bathtub. My first reaction would be to exclaim, "Thank you!"

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 11:22:23 AM PST
I see nothing at all wrong with someone saying that they've written a book and that it's now available. Who has he hurt? That is just information and people can choose to either read it or ignore it. It hasn't injured anyone and it might benefit some people. We live in a Capitalistic society, (at least those of us in America do), so it seems quite logical to me. I would think that anyone with an interest in Marilyn Monroe would like at least to know that it is available. But, as I have observed and stated many times in the past, life is not the same for everybody and everyone is thus entitled to their opinion. Live and let live is my credo. I would suggest that GGG also create a facebook page for the book, which I believe can be done with no problem.

Anyway, on Maria Callas (I am a big fan -- I love listening to her sing on my numerous CDs of her work from different eras of her career), I think the best book on her is this one: Maria Callas

It was published in English around 1982 but still a great read and I particularly liked how the appearance of Jackie O. on the scene (before she was Jackie O.) affected Maria -- it was especially interesting to me but a sad story. There's also quite a bit about Onassis' daughter, another sad story. But the book additionally covers Maria's technical skills and how her voice got a little squalky near the end, a tragedy for a great soprano but bound to happen I suppose. I heard Kathleen Battle sing recently (she's from my home town -- I really love her singing) and, great as she once was, she strains on the high Cs these days. That makes them no less a legend in my opinion.

On Marilyn, Peter Lawford's wife at the time of his death says (in her biography of Peter who lived a very weird life) that she has (somewhere :-D ) photos of Marilyn and JFK naked in the tub together, an orgy that was set up by brother-in-law Lawford. Can you imagine the value of that photo if it exists? I'm surprised that the Kennedys didn't have Peter's wife knocked off after the book came out -- it's a fine biography, not brilliantly written but it smacked of truth. She also detailed a revealing trip of a trip to Las Vegas that Peter and a friend took in a convertible with Nancy Davis [Reagan] who did all manner of "things" with the two men along the way. She should have just "said no" but it sounds like she initiated it all anyway. Ah! The lives of Hollywood people! It makes for great reading.

But then you get a celebrity like Fatty Arbuckle (he really hated that nickname!) who was *falsely* accused of rape and, even after this was proven to have been a false accusation, his carreer was sadly ruined forever. I guess that was chiefly because he was a big-time party animal and small-minded hateful and miserable people really despise to see successful people having a good time. They seem to want to lash out with all manner of venom, a result of their own wasted lives I guess. So the fake story about Fatty got perpetuated and if you talk to someone today who even knows who Fatty Arbuckle was, they will just about always bring up the accusation of rape and many still believe that it was true. He must have felt like Richard Jewell after our government (the FBI) ruined *his* life for no good or legitimate reason.

I have no issues with authors who reveal true events and activities, (conspiracy or otherwise), such as Kitty Kelly who wrote books like "The Royals" which came out just prior to Princess Diana's death and detailed many of her (and Fergie's) illicit (is that the right word? I don't know.) activities. Kitty has been sued numerous times over the years but no one has collected yet so far as I know -- because she can document what she says. But for some reason, I find that people in American culture will often come to hate you if you say something that is true and that happens to conflict with their own vision of one of these public celebrities, at least until the truth becomes so evident that it can no longer be denied. This happened, for example with people like Bill Clinton and Jimmy Swaggart. I personally still like Clinton and Swaggart, their morality being their own brand and, so far as I am concerned, their own business. But because they are public people, it also becomes fodder for biographical authors and their readers like me. But if you get people like Eisenhower and FDR where their love affairs and indiscretions are little known because they are otherwise so beloved, people will sometimes beat you up a bit for even talking about it.

I don't mind a little beating once in awhile -- I have my own numerous indiscretions to atone for. :-D

Everyone have a wonderful day!

pat

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 11:37:43 AM PST
D. Larson says:
As you say, a very slight picture. But, "My Week With Marilyn" was entertaining enough, and Michelle Williams certainly had enough Marilynisms down pat to satisfy me; admittedly, I've never been a particular fan. To me (and all of those who follow me) Marilyn was just somebody who was in some old movies you see on TCM now and again. I don't expect she can have the same mythic quality for me as she had for that Norman Mailer crowd.

In the same way, I will never understand the Elvis Cult. Some old, dead, fat guy who made really bad movies. What's the big deal?

But, "My Week With Marilyn" was an unobjectionable way to spend a couple hours. Slight, but harmless. Nice old cars and costumes, and a lot of wistfulness for our protagonist. And yes, the bits about Olivier were funny.

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:07:27 PM PST
Aha! Elvis... poor guy. I tend to agree with D. Larson but I would definitely be in the minority there. Elvis lived a very dramatic life as I would have had I been him. He went from nothing to everything. He had no sense of proportion, not a fault really but just a fact.

Graceland, I was sad to see a couple of years back, is located in a very bad section of Memphis, steel bars on commercial property doors and windows all around the place, up and down that street. I wouldn't wish to be there at night. It was likely much better in Elvis' day, green shag carpet, pink Cadillacs, and all. Elvis' bad tastes seem to be a big facet of his attraction for people. I presently know one gal (now old, obese, and very ugly, which she always was anyway), who would KILL me, [not a figure of speech -- she would really kill me] for saying a bad word about Elvis, not that I would ever do that intentionally.

I liked the story (true? I think so but who knows.) where somebody introduced him to a pharmacist and that night he showed up at the guy's home and ended up rummaging through the poor bugger's medicine cabinet to find some munchie-goodies. That story has the ring of truth anyway because I know lots of local drug people here in Appalachia (they all drink *Mountain Dew*, just to stereotype a bit) and they do things exactly like this all the time.

But, awful as they were, I loved some of the Elvis movies. I knew a couple of people personally who co-starred in them (Tiny Lund and Bill Campbell, two different films, *Speedway* and *Love Me Tender*, respectively) and they both characterized him as "an okay guy" (but being mishandled -- Elvis didn't realize his own peril, they mentioned.) I believe that. Elvis was a pawn of The Colonel. But I still recall the magical ambiance (at least at the time) of his films. *Follow That Dream* was not his biggest by any means but my personal favorite -- I was into happy endings back then. :-D

As for his music, I only ever cared for one song, http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hdmIhCkp3p4 I call it one of his *comeback* songs. It was not by any means my *favorite* song. Jimi dominated that turf. But Elvis really had the power to hang on and, (I do not know why I did it), I visited his re-sited home in Tupelo and sat my portly arse on the porch step and thought about him. My wife took my photo there and it's among my favorite nostalgia pics. A lot of good stuff happened to me back in those days so the connection with Elvis is a warm and pleasant one, if a bit ridiculous for a grown man. Maybe that is his draw, at least for males. With female fans, it's different.

But then there were Frank Sintra fans who were equally bug-eyed and I see nothing whatever attractive about him other than the fact that he sired Nancy... or at least I *think* he did.

:-D

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 12:08:56 PM PST
vivazappa says:
Cavardossi:
That is a joke from the early 60's...the first semi-dirty one I heard but didn't quite understand as I was about 5 years old!

Posted on Jan 23, 2013 1:06:17 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
vivazappa

I'm embarrassed to admit I didn't even notice the gag line! I guess I was so amused by the setup idea that I had to respond to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 23, 2013 1:50:57 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 23, 2013 1:51:22 PM PST
Trust me if Elvis was alive today, he would've moved a long time ago. Cash cow that it is, the area around Graceland is about as safe a place as you could want. And you will see tourist there writing on the bricks of the wall in the wee hours of the morn.

Elvis in actuality could act, he just wasn't allowed to. The three films I suggest anyone watch to prove this is Love Me Tender, his first film, and not a bad debut by any means. Jailhouse Rock, where Elvis plays a really unlikeable character, and Kid Creole, the last film he made before entering the military.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  74
Initial post:  Jan 20, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions