Customer Discussions > Movie forum

George Lucas sells Star Wars and Lucasfilm to Disney? And it's not April Fools Day!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 72 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 30, 2012 1:38:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 1:47:17 PM PDT
W.T. says:
http://www.foxnews.com/entertainment/2012/10/30/disney-buying-tar-wars-maker-lucasfilm-for-405b/?intcmp=features

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 1:39:50 PM PDT
W.T. says:
And Disney has green-lighted Star Wars Episode 7!

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:01:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 3:35:15 PM PDT
Ron says:
Yeah, I just saw that. Here's hoping we FINALLY get the originals on blu-ray. Unless there's a "stick it to the fans one last time" clause in the deal.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:03:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 2:07:09 PM PDT
Ron says:
W K says:
"And Disney has green-lighted Star Wars Episode 7!"

And while they're at it...how about rebooting episodes 1,2,3?

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 2:38:51 PM PDT
If all goes as I expect, by 2015, I may never watch another Star Wars film ever again, except for the original unaltered version I have of The Empire Strikes Back.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 3:30:55 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Oct 31, 2012 3:31:59 AM PDT]

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 3:50:35 PM PDT
JMM says:
Wow... I never expected there to be another Star Wars film. I've always wondered what other writers/directors might do with a Star Wars movie, I guess now we'll find out!

If they continue the story (and re-introduce some characters) from the Original Trilogy and combine it with the amazing visual/design elements of the Prequels, then they might have something great here.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 3:59:21 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"I've always wondered what other writers/directors might do with a Star Wars movie, I guess now we'll find out!"

Maybe they will let Tim Burton do one....

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 4:01:40 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Disney paid $7 billion for Pixar a few years ago; I wonder why Lucas sold for $4 billion.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 4:03:58 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
K. Rowley

".....let Tim Burton do one."

Sssh! Someone in Hollywood might hear you and think it's a good idea.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 4:07:48 PM PDT
What odds are offered on Jon Favreau getting the gig? Joss Whedon?

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 4:18:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 30, 2012 4:19:59 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
CNN added the additional information that Disney will absorb Industrial Light and Magic and the Skywalker audio sound studio. No mention of Skywalker Ranch. Will Lucas continue living there, or does he not now do so anyway?

Lucas is said to be a consultant on new Star Wars films, but when asked how involved the director will be, Iger replied that Lucas intends to retire. That makes it sound as though Lucas' participation will be limited to the title only.

Maybe a retired George Lucas might find an interest in returning to directing films for other companies, as well as Disney. If he brings back some of the spark of American Graffiti and the original Star Wars (now episode IV) that might be an interesting development.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 4:51:25 PM PDT
I think Han and Lay had twins. Don't be surprised if that is what it is about.

Posted on Oct 30, 2012 5:05:39 PM PDT
MJEH says:
"Star Wars Episode Seven: The Return of Jar-Jar Binks"

Can I get an amen in the house...?!?!?!?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:47:36 PM PDT
K. Rowley says:
"Sssh! Someone in Hollywood might hear you and think it's a good idea."

Come on.. Can't you see Johnny Depp as a Jedi Knight?..

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 6:58:48 PM PDT
Only if Helena Bonham Carter stars as the mistress who Depp loves.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 30, 2012 11:13:45 PM PDT
Blu Boy says:
Please Please Please let us have the original films!

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 5:22:45 AM PDT
W.T. says:
The smart thing to do would be a direct adaption of "Heir to the Empire", because the Thrawn Trilogy is still the best Star Wars adventure ever told in any format.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 6:27:04 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 6:28:00 AM PDT
I read on the Internet that after episodes 7, 8 , and 9, Disney plans to crank out a movie every 2 or 3 years. Where are they going to get stories from? The EU books?

(The Wikipedia article on "episode 7" as written is currently useless. Even Wookiepedia isn't much better.)

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:28:45 AM PDT
widowTink says:
HOORAY!! This is EXCELLENT news! Disney and LucasFilm one and the same.....brilliant! I'm a Disney Cast Member too (Disney Store), so this will be the "topic du jour" today at work......

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 8:56:21 AM PDT
I really hope they do the "Darth Bane" Trilogy of books, as well as "The Old Republic" & "Force Unleashed".....these are begging to be made, & "Darth Maul Shadow Hunter"(set right before TPM) would be a good one too, but they would have to get Ewan McGregor & Liam Neeson back in cameos which could prove difficult, not to mention Ray Park as Maul again....let's hope Disney does SW justice.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:06:20 AM PDT
I always thought SW was too kid oriented [see Ewoks]. With Disney it may be more so.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:35:59 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Spiritual Architect

Re Disney too kid oriented

That wouldn't necessarily be the case with Star Wars. Remember Dragonslayer? That always seemed too intense for little kids in my estimation. Also, the films will be produced and released under the Lucasfilm banner, just like Miramax's more challenging material is produced under theirs. Sure, Disney is going to be interested in the merchandising market of SWs items and they will surely have lots of kid oriented toys for that, but I don't think it is necessarily true that Disney will "kiddiefy" the films, not all of them anyway.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:46:14 AM PDT
I guess it depends on the director and how much power he is given. If Ridley Scott made it no kids would be allowed.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 11:24:39 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 12:16:08 PM PDT
Ron says:
Well, Disney has done a pretty good job with Marvel so far. I'd say they could probably handle Star Wars; so long as they bring in the right people to make it. It would be nice to see the series go back to being entertaining for both children AND grown-ups, much like Lord of the Rings.

Speaking of...I wouldn't mind seeing Peter Jackson take a shot at it.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions