Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Why aren't there DVD 3D equivalents of all these Blu-ray 3D discs?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-5 of 5 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 13, 2012 4:08:17 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 13, 2012 4:08:50 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Is there some technical reason that the present day form of 3D doesn't work? It can't be that 3D on DVD doesn't work on HDTVs because I have the Journey to the Center of the Earth on DVD in 3D and it works just fine. (If only the movie were as good as the 3D!)

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 6:53:40 AM PST
D. Larson says:
If I were an entertainment company, already producing a blu-ray disc for every movie, and a blu-ray 3D disc for every movie, and a DVD for every movie....why would I want to go to the expense of producing also a 3D DVD? Especially considering that DVD is not a format with a future?

Plus, you'd have to get Best Buy and Target to order not only DVD and blu-ray and blu-ray 3D, but now yet another version?

If people are willing to pay more to get a 3D experience, they're also going to be willing to pay extra for the superior image of blu-ray.

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 9:58:45 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
D. Larson

According to the statistics we see from time to time, large numbers, if not the majority, have yet to go Blu. So, they are to be shut out of 3D? Sounds like an odd business model to me. Not to mention, the studios possibly losing money they could make on 3D DVDs.

A related question to this would be, if there were DVD 3D equivalents of the 3D BDs we've been buying, would they be in the new 3D used on Blu-rays, or would they just be the old anaglyph type?

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 12:27:42 PM PST
D. Larson says:
My point was, and I did have one, I think, that the kind people who buy 3D TVs are also going to have blu-ray players. There are no DVD-3D players, and considering how few people use blu-ray 3D at all, it's not likely that any electronics companies are eager to produce yet another variant of playback machines. Oppo might, they pride themselves on playing every kind of disc ever made. Nice machines, Oppos.

I'll leave it to the engineering types to explain whether or not the comparatively low-resolution DVD format could support 3D information; I intuitively doubt it, but that's something for the propeller-heads to take up. I don't see any reason a DVD couldn't hold an anaglyph image, but I don't see any reason to think anyone would buy it.

The future, like it or not (and I don't like it) belongs to streaming. Netflix is desperately eager to get out of the plastic disc mailing business, rental video stores are fewer and father between, and sales of DVDs at retailers are flat to diminishing. Me? I have about 350 or so plastic discs shelved at our house, and I cherish them all, and add to them every trip to Pawn America or Big Lots. SWMBO doesn't care for the amount of room devoted to my ever-expanding collection, but she tolerates my hobby as being better than collecting guns or Hummel figurines.

But, the adoption rate of 3D has been a big disappointment to electronics companies and retailers alike. I can't see them wanting to double down on 3D by introducing yet another format.

And, I have new Panasonic plasma with 3D capabilities. But, we don't have a 3D blu-ray player yet, or any glasses. Hint to SWMBO: Christmas is almost here, and you can get a very nice 3D blu-ray for less than $150....

Posted on Dec 14, 2012 1:40:39 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 14, 2012 1:41:32 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
D. Larson

You make some good points, but there have been 3D DVDs for some time, though they are the older anaglyph kind. They don't require any sort of special 3D player and work just fine on HDTVs. Since few people have ever really liked anaglyph 3D, it's not surprising the studios aren't rushing to put out current movies in that type of 3D.

What I am wondering - idly, I will admit - is whether the sort of 3D found on current BDs and requiring active or passive glasses would also work on DVDs. It's frankly admitted that this form of 3D, whether you like 3D or not, works much better and is easier to watch for extended periods than anaglyph.

Now, we can't assume that everyone interest in 3D will naturally buy the required equipment to view it. I'm thinking here of people who laid down a goodly sum for a recent HDTV. This could have been before 3D capable HDTVs were available, or when they were very high priced, out of the reach of many interested purchasers. There could be any number of movie fans interested in 3D in the home right now, but can't afford to change TVs so soon. Why wouldn't there be a market for this audience, potentially as large as buyers who have the necessary equipment, for 3D DVDs? Aren't the studios missing out on a possibly strong market, especially when folks realize there is no need for a new HDTV or BD player? I find it hard to believe an interested market in 3D versions of Avatar, Titanic, Thor, Harry Potter: The Deathly Hallows, etc., exists only among people who have already purchased 3D HDTVs and BD players.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  2
Total posts:  5
Initial post:  Dec 13, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions