Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Robert Redford, Warren Beatty, Clint Eastwood -- have these guys officially retired as actors ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 104 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Apr 2, 2012 7:13:53 PM PDT
Redford hasn't acted in a film since 'Lions for Lambs', and it wasn't a leading man role even then. Beatty hasn't been in a film since God-knows-when. Eastwood is a prolific director but seems to have ceased as an actor (didn't he even state that 'Gran Torino' would be his last acting role ?)

I realize these three great stars are up there in age, but does anyone know if these guys have decided that enough is enough, at least as far as acting is concerned ? Being a fan of all three, I certainly hope not.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 7:17:32 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 7:24:32 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Clint Eastwood is filming a new movie now where he plays a blinding baseball scout. It's called 'Trouble with the Curve' and co-stars Amy Adams and John Goodman.
His long-time assistant director, Robert Lorenz, is making his debut as director with it.

Redford is shooting two movies now that he stars in: 'The Company You Keep', about a former Weather Underground activist, and something called 'All Is Lost'.

Warren Beatty is right about to make his surprise run for President of the United States, for the New Whig Party. He hasn't acted since 2001, so this new swing into politics should prove the role of his life, like it was for Reagan.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 7:25:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 7:28:45 PM PDT
Jonathan,

Thanks ! Redford in a film about the Weather Underground, huh ? Interesting concept !

Perhaps ol' Warren is content being a house husband and raising his kids. It's just so ironic if that's true, since he was the ultimate Hollywood playboy for years.

JUST READ YOUR NEW COMMENT ON BEATTY, JONATHAN -- would that be great if it were true !! The New Whig Party, huh ? Ha-ha ! In all honesty, I'd vote for Beatty over ANY of his presidential competition !

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 7:26:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 7:30:07 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
By the way, the things I said about Eastwood and Redford are totally factual. Look it up on IMDb. The part about Beatty came to me in a dream last night, so it still feels real, like it might happen.

As to Beatty being a great "Hollywood playboy," from what I've read, reports on that score have been greatly exaggerated. But what do I know? I wasn't in the bedroom with him.
It seems like one of those legends, like Deano being a heavy drinker, that was just a running joke that took on a life of its own.

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 7:35:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 2, 2012 7:36:18 PM PDT
I think we need a Redford/Beatty (or Beatty/Redford) presidential ticket in 2012 !!

They could run against an Eastwood/Fred Thompson ticket ! In that scenario, whoever would be Speaker of the House would become EXTREMELY important due to the age factor ! They would have a high likelihood of becoming president (unfortunately).

1937 was a special year. Redford, Beatty, Jack Nicholson, Dustin Hoffman -- all born that year, I do believe.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 7:56:12 PM PDT
"Warren Beatty is right about to make his surprise run for President of the United States"

The Rapping President!

Posted on Apr 2, 2012 8:12:18 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Not Redford (close, he's 1936,) but notable 1937 births abound:

Morgan Freeman
Barbara Steele
Jack Nicholson
Dustin Hoffman
Anthony Hopkins
Vanessa Redgrave
Ned Beatty
Tom Courtenay
Bill Cosby
George Carlin
Tom Smothers
Suzanne Pleshette
John Phillip Law
Harris Yulin
Anna Massey
Ingrid Pitt
Warren Beatty
Jane Fonda
Peter Cook
Jo Anne Worley
Zohra Lampert
Darwin Joston
Luciana Paluzzi
Adam Roarke
Linda Lavin
Margaret O'Brien
Bobby Driscoll
George Takei

Plus, the directors Ridley Scott, Peter Medak and Claude Lelouch; the composers Philip Glass and Angelo Badalamenti; singers Merle Haggard, Shirley Bassey and Waylon Jennings; and the writer Tom Stoppard, boxer Rubin 'Hurricane' Carter, and the dictator Saddam Hussein.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 9:01:00 PM PDT
Hikari says:
. . . .also, my mother, b. 1937. Ridley Scott is 75? Holy crap. I didn't know he was quite that old. I know Alien was 33 years ago, but still. I had thought him more of a wonderkind. Not so much, if he was already 42.

I am now older than Ridley Scott was when he directed Alien. Holy crap. Every year since passing my 33rd birthday I tell myself I'm older than Jesus. And every year that just keeps getting truer and truer. Shoot.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 9:13:26 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Hikari: "also, my mother, b. 1937"....

Sorry that I forgot to mention that.

>"I am now older than Ridley Scott was when he directed Alien. Holy crap. Every year since passing my 33rd birthday I tell myself I'm older than Jesus. And every year that just keeps getting truer and truer. Shoot."<

Well, to Ridley Scott fans, he's bigger than Jesus. So everyone has their cross to bear!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 9:27:47 PM PDT
Hikari says:
T'is OK, JB, you couldn't have been expected to know. Her birth was 'notable' to me for obvious reasons, even if she's not famous. But she does share a birth year with a lot of famous folks.

Do Ridley Scott fans and Jesus fans have to be exclusive? Though God never invented the Alien Queen, that's true enough.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 9:35:32 PM PDT
Well, James Cameron (working with Stan Winston) created the Alien Queen, so according to Cameron, God DID invent the Alien Queen.
;)

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 2, 2012 9:47:44 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Oh, in that case, absolutely God did! He made the Alien Queen on the eighth day. Stan Winston was . . . the Holy Ghost?

Okay, so now my mind has to absorb two new realities:
1. I have been misled as to the true identity of Jesus of Nazareth's father for my entire life. and
2. In just a few short days I'm supposed to turn up at sunrise to venerate the resurrection of the Son of Cameron? That nuffing isn't happening--I'll be sleeping in if that's how it is.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 6:00:49 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Redford, Beatty, and Eastwood, especially, the first two, were famously among the most handsome men to ever step in front of a movie camera. Hoffman, born in the same year, never was considered handsome, yet, ironically, today he's the best preserved of the four. How does that happen?

Cruise will probably still look something like he does today even if he lives to be 100!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 9:11:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 9:16:59 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@cav

Dustin Hoffman is a shining example of my theory that people who are plain when they are young hold up better over time than the pretty boys and girls. It's not that they don't age, but age sits far better on their faces and lends them an air of gravitas. Dustin is looking very well. Other members of this club that come to mind: Gene Hackman; Morgan Freeman. Daniel Day-Lewis is a generation behind these guys and could also be lumped in with the pretty ones, but I think he's going to be a member one day. On the women's side we've got Dame Helen Mirren. Dame Judi Dench, Charlotte Rampling & Meryl Streep. Maybe La Mirren might have been considered a beauty in her youth, but that was mostly for her rack. Her features are very strong--not normally associated with ingenues. All these women are in their 60s and 70s and are still in demand as actresses.

How does it happen? Careful living, bone structure . . . staying actively engaged in work and maybe a positive mental attitude. Plus I think it's God's reward for not being a top-level star in their youth because they weren't considered beautiful or handsome enough. Longevity is better than beauty, in all walks of life, not just acting.

>>>Cruise will probably still look something like he does today even if he lives to be 100!

And won't that just be a frightening spectacle! He kind of scares me now and he's not yet 50. Tom is not aging so much as being preserved--maybe in formaldehyde; maybe by supertnatural means, via a self-portrait decaying in a closet someplace.

When he was cast as Dustin Hoffman's little brother in Rain Main, I could definitely see a resemblance and thought there couldn't have been a better choice. The resemblance is largely (!) in the nose, but it's a feature that's hard to overlook.

As Tom is a contemporary of mine, it will be interesting to see how the years go with him. Can I age as well without the wonders of Scientology and $500 million dollars at my disposal? It's very doubtful.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 10:06:19 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Hikari

Your comments on Tom Cruise were the sort of things of which I was thinking. To my eyes, there's something manufactured about his continuing youthful look. It's probably due to non-stop dieting, constant trainer assisted workouts, and maybe a bit of judicious surgery here and there. Maybe there's even some genetic help going on. Nevertheless, it just seems almost unnatural for a man in his mid forties to look so nearly twenty years younger. Even Paul Newman, to my mind the most amazing example of a male actor's looks preservation even to the very end, seemed to be plausibly a man in middle age by the time he was in his forties. And in Newman's case it never came across as manufactured. Cruise, though, doesn't display even a suggestion of the middle aged body spread that is almost impossible for humans to avoid by that time in life.

I mentioned once before my theory of why Cruise is so driven to sculpt his face and body to resemble an impossibly lengthened youth. His phenomenal career began with his association with the strongly ambitious young American Male; think Risky Business, Top Gun, The Firm, etc. I think Cruise strongly identifies with this image, and why wouldn't he? Look where it's taken him. He is strongly motivated to keep that image alive and it's why he so frequently returns to roles that continue that image, such as the Mission Impossible movies, which successes add to his legend. But Cruise knows he needs to keep the young audience, even as he ages, hence the fierce need and drive at all costs to continue to present an appearance that diverts the audience from thinking about his true age. I think that was the true cause of his infamous couch jumping, though it turned out to be a major miscalculation. In his eagerness to be perceived as a young man head over heels in love, he imagined such gymnastics would communicate a young guy's enthusiasm in such a situation. Unfortunately for him, it reminded everyone of how old he really is, and his image was damaged for awhile. I think that damage only spurred him to work even harder to preserve his youthful looks. Of course, having a large fortune, not to mention enormous amounts of free time, makes it easier to keep the project going. And I would be surprised if he doesn't succeed for decades to come.

Of course, I suppose it could be that Scientology is true and that it actually startlingly rejuvenates its adherents on a daily basis.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 10:27:30 AM PDT
Presidential vote:

Warren Beatty +
Obimbo Hussy -

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 3:13:05 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@cav
Crusing Wikipedia, I see that Tom was very nearly Born on the Fourth of July--He will be 50 years old on July 3rd. Which makes him a scant 6 weeks younger than Craig Ferguson (May 17, 1962). 5-0 gives anyone pause, I'm sure; Craig wouldn't like me to mention it but he looks more like 50 than TC does. And yet . . . Tom doesn't exactly look 'young', either . .more like stretched. I'm sure he has a punishingly self-disciplined workout and diet regimen. (CF will cheerfully admit that he does not. His concession to living in Los Angeles is to eat Cobb salad.) I think Tom is indeed desperate to hang on to the appearance of youth and virility because his action-star status depends on it. The whole breakneck Courtship of Katie-couch-jumping episode always smelled like a calculated image enhancement to me, too. Katie is 18 years his junior and by my calculation was in kindergarten learnng how to read when her future husband scored his first starring hit with "Risky Business." Though Tom is hardly alone in being an aging star snagging a much younger woman . . . his contemporary Ferguson outdid him in this regard--the current (third and hopefully last) Mrs. Ferguson is 21 years his junior. Feh!!

Yeah, the couch-jumping episode on Oprah was whack (memorably satirized by Craig Bierko in one of the Scary Movie spoofs). I don't think it was JUST the couch-jumping, though . . . Tom is a notoriously twitchy interview subject and was just giving answers that did not parse. Then he followed up that infamous appearance on Oprah with his feud with Brooke Shields over post-partum depression & his jihad with Matt Lauer on the Today Show. He's remarkably fit, but I think there are a few screws loose upstairs . . Tom has always seemed rather erratic. Driven? Absolutely. Easy to live with? Doubtful. I always scrutinize pictures of Mrs. Cruise, and she is so often snapped looked quite haggard and fragile. What I wouldn't give to be a fly on the wall in that marriage. Odd does not even begin to describe it. I think Katie was more or less auditioned for the role she now holds because he was feeling pressure to prove that he could produce a child and still be a catch for the 20-somethings. Having procreated, it's entirely possible that Katie is now his professional beard. At any rate, she doesn't appear very happy and I wonder if her life isn't a gilded prison of sorts.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 4:35:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 4:37:33 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Hikari

".......more like stretched....."

That's a good description of him. I thought he might be closer to 50 than 45, but I didn't know for sure, so I took the safer road of saying he is in his mid forties. Being essentially only a month short of your fiftieth is assuredly not mid forties! In any case, I wish him well with his project of trying to look thirty until who knows when. This has always been a hope and desire of Hollywood denizens - he's just been more successful at it than most.

Speaking of being fifty, I thought I was fifty for two years because I had completely overlooked my fifty-first! True story. It was only in the following year when I was reading an article about a politician I knew was born in the same year as me that I made the connection. The article said this guy was fifty-two, which puzzled me. When I realized I not only wasn't fifty but actually fifty-two, I was distinctly unhappy for a few days. To find out you're two years older than you thought was just as unpleasant as you'd think it would be. In addition, I kind of mourned that missing fifty-first year!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 6:09:11 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@cav
There are times I wish I could forget a couple of my birthdays . . .haven't mastered that trick yet. Many people claim to be younger than they are but it's a smokescreen tactic--they haven't actually forgotten.

Tom C. looks very good for a 50-year-old and might even be able to pass for 35 at distance, if you squint a little. Certainly his body seems like a younger guy's. If you put a pic of Tom's present face with one from when he was actually 30, the jig would be up. Frankly, it's in the eyes--Tom has crazy eyes. In a young man, they could be called 'intense'. Now that his face has lost the greater fulness of youth, those blue eyes just blaze out in all their deranged glory.

Tom has been pretty honest about having dyslexia as a kid and struggling in school . . .he doesn't really do cold reads, which must be a nightmare for him. I think there's some ADHD in there as well. He spent his formative years creating the persona of a successful person as he got dragged from town to town by his gypsy mom, and with learning disabilities, just feeling on the outs all the time. See, there is value in psychology, even if he doesn't believe in it. I think what drives him to be such a prolific actor also made him vulnerable to Scientology, which I will declare flat out in this space is a cult. I don't think Tom is ever going to find peace as long as he's relying on the narcissism of self to get him through life. That's essentially what Scientology is, and that's why he's so obsessed with the exterior.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 6:32:07 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Hikari

".....in all their deranged glory."

Whew, right on and funny!

You may really be onto something about the appeal Scientology has for Cruise. I hope that he overcomes that fascination, preferably sooner rather than later.

BTW, in all the reading on Scientologists and their faith I've done, I have never gathered that they actually worship any god. If that is the case, it seems odd they call themselves a church.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2012 6:41:33 PM PDT
Mary A says:
Clint did say that Gran Torino would be his last acting role in film in that he was going to pursue directing projects in film. Bob and Warren are up there in years also but Bob would entertain the right film role
if it interested him. Warren, same thing except he only is an actor and has not been offered anything with his time... so he says. but i agree it would be cool to see any of these three in film again, but in the right
roles not cameo's.

Posted on Apr 3, 2012 10:34:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2012 10:37:10 PM PDT
Cavardossi,

There's a legend that exists that Redford actually tried out for the role of Benjamin Braddock in 'The Graduate' which Dustin Hoffman made eternally famous. Redford supposedly was turned down for the role because he was told that he was too handsome to be believable in the part !

As far as Tom Cruise, I've always felt that he's a damn good actor. It's remarkable when you think of the directors he's had a chance to work with -- Martin Scorsese, the late Stanley Kubrick, Barry Levinson, Steven Spielberg, Oliver Stone, etc. And being a 50 year old guy myself, I say that Cruise and Brad Pitt are the two men that us guys in our late forties/early fifties should look to as role models for physical fitness. It's amazing the shape they stay in. But I suppose, when you can afford a private chef to plan your meals in addition to the working out....well, it's gonna make a difference !

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 6:57:11 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Robert Bykowski

I've read that legend too and in contexts that suggest it was really true. I'm a big Redford fan, but The Graduate just wouldn't have been the same movie with him as Benjamin Braddock. For one thing, the affair at the center of the film would not have had the same meaning. What woman wouldn't have wanted to jump into bed with the young Redford? The fact that Hoffman was not handsome gave the affair a whole different resonance. Why was this essentially unremarkable young man chosen by Bancroft's character? (Can you believe it?! At the moment, I can't remember one of filmdom's most famous women character's names! "Are you trying to seduce me, Mrs. ?????)

Posted on Apr 4, 2012 8:40:38 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Hikari - I like to lie and say I'm older than I actually am. Then people are like "Wow! You look great!"

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 4, 2012 8:51:29 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 4, 2012 8:52:14 AM PDT
What do you have against Clerks?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  104
Initial post:  Apr 2, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 12, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions