Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Alibi Lounge

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 10000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 10, 2012 10:08:45 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 10:17:55 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Re My Week With Marylin

I read the book years ago and, as I recall, the author never had an affair with Monroe. I understand he does in the movie. The problem with that is that I seem to recall from the book that the author is gay.

Which might not necessarily have precluded an affair, though. Remember Cecil Beaton's memoirs in which he chronicles at some length an affair with Greta Garbo? I vividly remember wondering while reading, which is more amazing - that Beaton had an affair with Garbo or that Beaton had an affair with a woman at all?

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:12:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 10:20:33 AM PDT
Hikari:

Michelle Johnson was so wonderful as Marilyn. So what if they had to use a body double for the skinny-dipping scene? You're right, the voice was essential, and Scarlett J. would've struggled with that. Easier to pad Johnson's clothing than to dub Scarlett's dialogue. I love Meryl Streep, but I think Michelle Johnson deserved the Oscar this year. But she'll win one eventually. Eddie R. was good, too. And Branagh was in fine form as Olivier.

Sometimes filmmakers intentionally deploy illogic to streamline a plot. In "The Lincoln Lawyer", the titular lawyer is intent on locating evidence that will free from prison an innocent man, a man that he, several years previously, had persuaded to cop a plea in a murder case because the circumstantial evidence against the poor guy was too damning. In the penultimate scene, this exculpatory evidence is found, and Matthew McC. is shortly thereafter shot in the shoulder. Very long fade to black. Very gradual fade from black....and we see Matt being wheeled out of the hospital. He gets into his Lincoln, and his driver asks him "Hey,boss, is it true that (the innocent man) was freed?" "Yep."

Now I enjoyed that movie in the theatre and have seen it several times on DVD, but only now do I realize that a wrongly imprisoned man could not possibly be sprung from federal prison within the short time span that Matt was in the hospital with a non-life-threatening shoulder gunshot wound. Such a thing, reversing a conviction and freeing a prisoner, would take a very long time. BUT it doesn't matter, because the audience had to know the innocent man was getting freed. And I think the very long fade-in and fade-out was a tricky way of playing with the audience's sense of time. Had it been a fast cut, the audience might have thought "Wait a minute....the guy's already free?"

Catherine Zeta-Jones as Vivien Leigh? She's even taller than the actress who did play her! Wasn't Vivien Leigh petite?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:52:02 AM PDT
Carvardossi:

I think they probably said the film was BASED on the memoirs, which gives the filmmakers some wiggle room in terms of fidelity to actual facts. A different kind of movie might've been made if the young man deputized to look after Monroe was shown as gay, and of spurning her advances, hastening her tailspin. But that's not what audiences would have wanted to see.

The story of the filming of a half-century-old movie that very few people have even heard of is not such a piece of legendary history that the strict facts need to be adhered to, so I think changing the guy's sexuality counts as fair dramatic license.

If you believe that sexuality exists on a spectrum, from purely hetero on one end to purely gay on the other, with a good distance and plenty of variation inbetween, it's not all that hard to imagine that Cecil Beaton might've gone to bed with Greta Garbo. Well, a little hard. And "a little hard" might be the operative phrase, here.

Sorry, don't know what came over me.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:07:34 AM PDT
WDE: I see no distinction. I can't think of a film that I enjoyed while watching, and also had major problems with logic or coherence. There is a limit to which one can check the brain at the door.

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:08:46 AM PDT
WDE: re: sexuality as a continuum. Correct, of course. Kinsey pointed that out long ago.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:14:29 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on May 10, 2012 11:38:36 AM PDT]

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:16:43 AM PDT
William A. Smith:

As I've said, as long as a movie doesn't collapse WHILE I'M WATCHING IT, if the plot holes only come to mind later, I don't really care. It's only a moooooovie, as Hitch said.

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:46:59 AM PDT
Hey, do I have the honor of being the first one to get deleted on this thread? I don't even remember what I wrote. Hokey smoke!

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:51:14 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
Something about holes, I'm sure.

Posted on May 10, 2012 11:52:40 AM PDT
I am so ashamed. No, not really.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 12:12:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 12:15:03 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@Cav
The movie of "Marilyn" does not depict a sexual affair, more of a platonic, if slightly bizarre friendship that felt much more intense to the young man than it did to Marilyn. Our hero falls under the spell of MM, and thinks himself in love with her, but Marilyn only uses him for an emotional crutch on the set and then spends time with him while her husband is gone, mostly to infuriate her director, who does not condone members of the crew fraternizing with the talent. Marilyn is flirtatious and even invites young Colin into her bed, but no clothes come off at all. MM was unable to be without some form of male attention for even a few hours. She tells young Colin that she loves her husband, and even though they go skinny-dipping and kiss, that's all the further it goes. Memories for a young man to dine out on for a lifetime, even if he was gay.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 12:49:06 PM PDT
Hikari:

Maybe he was gay and intended to be in the film. I didn't quite catch that, but it's plausible. And certainly a young man infatuated with the movies and desperate to get involved in some capacity would welcome the chance to spend time with---as the movie points out, I think--the most famous woman in the world, regardless of his sexuality. And if he were gay, it would account for his preferring to spend time with somebody glamorous but unobtainable over somebody merely lovely, yet obtainable---Emma Watson's character. And maybe Ms. Watson's ultimate rejection of him was not simply because he was infatuated with Marilyn, but because she realized, well, this guy, handsome and charming as he is, is kind of on the other team.

If everybody else but me got that......well, I'm slow sometimes. I liked the film a great deal anyway.

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:41:55 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
OK, gang, a big mea culpa from me. Colin Clark died in December 2002 and I just read his obituary in the Telegraph. Clark was married three times. I can see a gay guy marrying once, but three times? I don't know now where I got the idea he was gay. I seem to remember reading it one of the reviews of The Prince, the Showgirl, and Me, but that may have been the impression of the reviewer.

It turns out Clark actually wrote two books dealing with his relationship with Monroe, the book I listed above which does not give details on the relationship, and a later one, My Week with Marilyn, which apparently does give the details shown in the movie. The obit says the first book was critically well received, but My Week was not.

I'm wondering now if the book review I read was actually of My Week, and that's where the impression that Clark was gay was given. After all, how many 23 year old guys in bed with Marilyn Monroe making her invitation clear would say to her, "That's what you have Mr. Miller for", then roll over and go to sleep?

In any case, I regret having said anything and now should skip dinner as a penance.

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:09:25 PM PDT
Cavardossi:

Assuming there is Nothing Wrong With That (being gay), then you were simply mistaken, as if you had referred to Delaware Ernie Ford. Anybody can make a mistake. Even I have once or twice.

Eat your dinner in good conscience.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 4:54:57 PM PDT
Hikari says:
>>>Clark was married three times. I can see a gay guy marrying once, but three times?

I dunno if that's so bizarre, really. Shall we ask Tom Cruise? ;-) Whether a gay man enjoys the emotional companionship of women, or thinks it politic to have a wife as professional cover . . or if deep down he is conflicted about his attraction to men and thinks living a heterosexual lifestyle will bring him around to being attracted to women . . fact is lots of gay men have been married, many several times.

I have not read Mr. Clark's memoirs, but the movie does not infer that he's not into women. The movie Colin certainly never reminded Ms. Monroe that he wasn't there for husbandly duties. I think he was very much hoping the reverse, but did not cross the rather sadistic boundaries MM set for him. ("Here, climb into bed with me while I'm wearing practically nothing and just hold me.") Mr. Clark was, at the time, what, 23 years old? He'd have had to have been supremely disinterested in women for Herculean self-control not to have been called into play.

I gather that many of Colin's close associates (not to mention anyone affiliated with Ms. Monroe) regard the second half of his memoirs as more or less complete fabrication. I don't know. But it was an awfully charming movie. I had never seen Eddie Redmayne before, but he was very appealing to me. I daresay he looks a great deal like a 23-year-old Craig Ferguson might have looked, had he reddish hair and freckles. So my attraction is not too hard to decipher. And he sings, too! I think he will make a fine Marius, for what that part's worth.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 5:06:51 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>Wm. Smith:
"JB: Re Sixth Sense--of course it was obvious by the end of the first reel!"<

Well, you might be surprised at how many people I heard repeat the line that it was a 'mindblowing trick ending'. Ditto the rug-pulling ending of 'Fight Club', another one that plenty of gullible people seem to have been impressed by.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 5:11:12 PM PDT
I confess, the thought did occur to me, did this really happen? Maybe it did...but Clark was the sole surviving witness of much of what occurs in the movie. Would Marilyn Monroe have gone skinny-dipping with a man she hardly knew? Okay, maybe. If I'd been assigned to babysit Marilyn Monroe, I might easily have wanted to sell my story. (Of course, it would have been quite a story, as I was only 9 years old when she died. Maybe I could have written that she babysat me.)

I don't really care, it was a good story.

Posted on May 10, 2012 5:15:25 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 5:29:36 PM PDT
At one point, Olivia Williams shoots a glare at Bruce Willis, in the restaurant scene. Because he was supposed to be a ghost and invisible to her, that was a gaffe.

Greg Kinnear said that when they were filming "Ghost Town", occasionally Tea Leone would forget and shoot a glance at him, and he'd have to say "Hold on...I'm a ghost, Tea, you can't see me, remember?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:26:12 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
JPB- Sixth Sense

Shotguns at that range don't leave holes, they remove organs, so anyone familiar with that would pick-up on the "He's dead" rather quickly. Trick ending or not I enjoyed the movie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 6:38:23 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 7:01:03 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
Yeah, I picked the twist pretty early in the piece, but it didn't effect my enjoyment at all. Actually, I liked watching how M.Night was hiding the twist.

******MILD SPOILER******
The same goes with 'Signs'. The whole water thing was pretty easy to pick as some importance was being placed on his daughter leaving half full glasses of water all over the place, but I still enjoyed the movie.

Posted on May 10, 2012 7:22:00 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
JPB- Vidas Secas

I found a production copy on DVD. It's by NEW YORKER VIDEO. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:24:53 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
KKaS- Signs

It was a fun movie! I thought it was about road construction & was really excited but I enjoyed what they did with it. ;>)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 7:51:24 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>C McGhee says:
"JPB- Vidas Secas

I found a production copy on DVD. It's by NEW YORKER VIDEO. :)"<

Yea, I hope you didn't spend too much for it. I almost bought one several years back when it was $15 new. I've been kicking myself since then for not jumping at it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 8:20:59 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
JPB- Vidas Secas

It was $1 in a bargain bin. I'm assuming they had no idea what it was. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 8:26:02 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Re: "$1 in a bargain bin."

Yowser; they only had one, I take it?
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions