Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Alibi Lounge

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:32:16 PM PDT
@Sloany

"My favorite scene in 'Signs' is......Joaquin in the closet with the tin-foil hat!! No jokes. I love how he plays that scene. How he rationalizes the crop-circles, then his shock at the alien appearing. Top shelf Joaquin."

Seriously, his face when that alien comes out is one of the funniest moments of all time. I'm laughing right now just thinking about it! Hahaha...

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 7:33:25 PM PDT
What in the h-ell is up with this sled?!

Like, a sled that you ride down a snowy bank? How is this the #1 movie of all time?! I guess I'm gonna have to watch it now... :/

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:49:06 PM PDT
@Hikari

"Bill Hader is the most talented SNL cast member since the late Phil Hartman."

No way!!! Andy Samberg is my favorite of all time. You need to check out Lonely Island's album 'Turtleneck and Chains.' The videos will make you want to pee in your pants.

In honor of Mother's Day...let me present...Lonely Island feat. Justin Timberlake in 'Motherlover'!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X0DeIqJm4vM

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:49:40 PM PDT
I don't even have cable so I haven't been able to watch any SNL. I just catch bits on youtube when I can...

Posted on May 11, 2012 7:51:50 PM PDT
Does Andy really have a thread here?!

haha!

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:06:33 PM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
You do know SNL comes on NBC right?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:51:35 PM PDT
I don't have one of those fancy things that is required to view the channels these days. Doesn't it require an adapter of some sort since it went digital, or whatever, a few years ago?

I actually just avoid TV because it's the devil. F consumerism and mass media. SNL would probably be one of the only things I would like to watch.

I'm a simple kinda gal. I don't even have internet {shhh}...

I used to hate internet as well, but I like zooming around on Amazon. Movies and books are my guilty pleasure.

Otherwise, I avoid social media sites at all costs. It's gossip and drama, I tell ya!

Posted on May 11, 2012 9:55:48 PM PDT
Kelly says:
Q - NBC streams a lot of shows on their website - I'd be surprised if they do not have SNL there. Have you looked?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:07:54 PM PDT
True, if I had a fast enough internet connection to watch it! Ha.

Can't complain about the {shhh} internet.

I may break down and just get it soon enough, because I'm getting tired of being disconnected every time I want to post something here or watch something on youtube!

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:53:16 AM PDT
Hikari says:
http://omg.yahoo.com/photos/what-were-they-thinking-05-11-slideshow/#crsl=%252Fphotos%252Fwhat-were-they-thinking-05-11-slideshow%252Fpatricia-krentcil-photo-1336764185.html

I just had to share this because it gave me such a laugh. It shows Tanning Tragedy Patricia Krencil looking particularly beautiful. But the funny part is when you scroll down in the comments section and some wag has written "I need a new wallet." In clear reference to Ms. Krencil's mummified alligator-looking skin.

I thought it was witty. And now you know my dirty little secret--I'm addicted to "What Were They Thinking?!" on OMG. Never fails to bring a smile to my face.

Posted on May 12, 2012 7:27:26 PM PDT
Hikari says:
http://murdermysterymayhem.blogspot.com/2009/10/cant-get-enough-of-inspector-lewis-on.html
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
What better place to put this than "The Alibi Lounge"? A comprehensive list of British TV mystery series and other good stuff for fans of mysteries and crime procedurals.

Posted on May 13, 2012 6:46:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 6:52:03 AM PDT
"My Week With Marilyn" is out on DVD and I (for what it's worth) recommend it. The director commentary reveals that not only did Michelle Williams so perfectly embody Marilyn Monroe physically, she also did all of the singing and dancing required herself. What's more, in the scene in which she sings a song to Kenneth B. as Olivier, it wasn't pre-recorded---she sang it live. I haven't heard Marilyn sing in awhile but it seems to me Williams absolutely nailed it.

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:33:45 AM PDT
Louise says:
One of my all time favourite British series is Miss Marple, the Joan Hickson ones. A favourite episode of mine is A Caribbean Mystery, which was also brilliantly portrayed by Helen Hayes in the US version. I can recommend both.

http://youtu.be/lWJdHJh-6pY

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0085296/

Posted on May 13, 2012 1:17:51 PM PDT
A quick note--after tonight's episode I will do a fuller review of the first two episodes of Sherlock in the appropriate place. I watched the first episode of the new season--A Scandal in Belgravia--and when in recent memory have we seen anything on television so brilliantly and densely written? And with such deep knowledge of the originals, and such deftness in weaving in references? (I caught at least two to unwritten cases--the aluminium crutch and the Vatican cameos--and there may have been others.)

No wonder they are only doing 3 at a time--you can't write like that by the yard.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 2:21:54 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@was
Looking forward to this as soon as I can get my paws on a copy. Netflix has a "Save" button. Grrr. That means it will be weeks yet, likely, until they have it. Usually it gives a DVD release date and allows you to put it in the regular Queue.

I could just buy my own . .but I'm not supposed to be buying anything else after I went a bit crazy recently with the purchases. We'll have to see if I can dig up enough change in the sofa cushions.

I've heard a charge levelled against Stephen Moffat of turning Sherlock into a p#&&y--says he's entirely too nice and not sociopathic enough this season. Because he didn't like to hear Mrs. Hudson being abused, for one. I can't comment--have you any thoughts? I just figured that living with Watson is humanizing him a bit more, is all.

Posted on May 13, 2012 3:06:18 PM PDT
NOTE: We recently had a re-organization in the cult movie thread. If anyone is interested in voting...come on over!!!

Posted on May 13, 2012 7:51:52 PM PDT
Hikari says:
FROM THE INTERWEBS--"Didn't see that coming" Edition
1. CBS cancels 'CSI Miami' after 10 seasons. Horatio has whipped off the sunglasses for the last time.
2. Tennis star Roger Federer gets a "Man in Black" suit in a gigantic display case from Will Smith. 'Cause that's exactly what every Wimbledon champ needs.
3. Clay Aiken goes on "Face the Nation" to support gay marriage. Okay . THAT one I did see coming. Even though Clay prefers to inseminate his former (female) manager in lieu of getting married to a guy. You can take the boy out of North Carolina, but you can't take North Carolina out of the boy. Even if the boy has gotten so much plastic surgery you can hardly tell it's him anymore.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:04:10 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 13, 2012 11:04:45 PM PDT
HAHAHA!!!

Clay, that rascal!

He gives us gays a bad name. I'm from North Carolina too, born and raised.

And I got the HAIL outta there as soon as I could!

I still don't want to marry a woman though...haven't found "the one", maybe?

I wonder if all the "Claymates" deserted him when he dropped the soap....err, i mean the gay bombshell.

He is so frickin' creepy.

In reply to an earlier post on May 13, 2012 11:45:42 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
Hikari- Clay Aiken

Do you mean to tell me that Clay "fudged" on being gay earlier?

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:08:59 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
I still don't understand NBC's astoundingly odd decision to cancel the original Law & Order in favor of their struggling new series Law & Order: Los Angeles. Even with a midseason major overhaul, which took away what little attractions the show had, LOLA still sank and was cancelled after its first season. Now Law & Order: SVU is the sole survivor of a once proud franchise.

NBC, clearly recognizing they made a huge tactical error in canceling the still excellent parent program, has given SVU the green light for two more years. It wouldn't surprise me in the least if SVU continued even beyond that. Meanwhile, reruns of Law & Order continue to demonstrate how wonderful that show was.

TV programming - who can ever understand it? Clearly, not the people actually doing it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 7:26:22 AM PDT
Hikari: To assume that Holmes is a sociopath is completely to misread his character. After all, he's a detective, and underneath it all, is driven by a sense of justice--there are many other things he could do if he lacked that underlying drive. (Mycroft notes that he has the mind of a philosopher or a scientist.) If the first season emphasized his quirkiness, this set of episodes is to a degree redressing the balance--the influence of Watson? Certainly to a degree yes--they form a pair with highly complementary skills and attitudes, and part of the fascination of the story is their growing realization of just how complementary they are. In the originals, after all, their working relationship survives Watson's two, or three, marriages.

The success of the series is a tribute to Conan Doyle's genius. Very few writers have created a character with a life that transcends the printed page. Even when Conan Doyle wanted to kill him off--he couldn't.

Posted on May 14, 2012 7:29:11 AM PDT
Of the three CSI franchises, Miami was my least favorite, but it still will be missed.

How typical of That Man In The White House to say that he "supports" gay marriage--and then fail to back it up with any suggested actions.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 9:29:18 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 11:56:41 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@was
I didn't think 'sociopath' was appropriate to Sherlock, either--however, that's what he calls himself, in episode 1 anyway, if that word is never used in Conan Doyle. We've gotten a lot more familiar with the concept of sociopathy since the originals were written; I think that was Cumberbatch's Sherlock being a little provocative. He'd like to believe that about himself because it makes him sound badazz . . .but it is not strictly true, of course. Sherlock is a bit of a narcissist, and careless with social niceties and rules of order (and housekeeping), but he's not incapable of making attachments. Watson is the proof. Sherlock butts heads with Mycroft because his elder brother makes him feel something he is not accustomed to feeling around other ordinary mortals--inferior.

That's why I think it's so interesting that this version has given us a Moriarty who is Sherlock's peer in age, instead of the much older man normally depicted . . . Moriarty is Sherlock's opposite number--the dark side of that brilliant mind. Equally genius, except in a malevolent direction--the anti-Holmes. He lacks Sherlock's sense of justice and drive to put his gifts into the service of the good.

Waiting to read your review of Season 2.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 10:19:59 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@cav
It was indeed a sad day when they cancelled the flagship "Law & Order", the granddaddy of them all. I watched a few minutes of LO:LA and it was excreble. It was never the same after the passing of Lenny Briscoe (who was a great favorite of my dad), but I think on the whole they had recovered pretty well. Jeremy Sisto & Anthony Anderson were coming into their own as a detective team, and the dishy Linus Roache ably took the baton hand-off from Sam Waterson as the ADA Mike Cutter. It was a shocking (and boneheaded) programming decision, but after the whole "Late Night Wars" debacle, I have come to expect nothing more from NBC.

I was a fan of "Special Victims Unit" from the beginning, but have not been watching since the departure of Chris Meloni. Couldn't see the point. I feel kind of the worst for "Criminal Intent", which after a rocky start established itself as maybe the most surprising of the spin-offs. Loved the partner duo of Dets. Goren & Eames; Chris Noth and his revolving stable of female partners was less successful, but then Jeff Goldblum came in for a Hail Mary pass and proved himself quite adroit as a series lead.

Dick Wolf has been busy exporting his cottage industry internationally . . . allow me to recommend "Law & Order: UK" which reconstructs past favorite episodes from the original Law and Order for a British setting. The Brits excel us at mystery/crime shows as a general rule, but I thought they did a good job of adapting a very American franchise and making it their own. Cruising around Netflix, I see an intriguing entry for a show entitled: "Criminal Intent: Russia". My interest is piqued, but there's no telling when that will be available to us.

In reply to an earlier post on May 14, 2012 11:52:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 14, 2012 11:53:30 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
One of my local Star Theatres has display cases hung up on the hallway walls leading to the movie areas with props and clothing from many famous movies. One of the displays features items and outfits from the first Men in Black movie. I will try to take pictures of some of the displays on one of my next visits and post them here on the forum.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions