Customer Discussions > Movie forum

TV Shows That You Wish Hadn't Been Axed Or Canceled

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 126-150 of 355 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 8:56:50 PM PST
stevign says:
RE: "Why is the River alive"

To offer us an invitation when times are tough.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hcp07P4iubg

I've been all across the country
And I've stayed in every town
Because I'm trying to find my baby
But no one has seen her around
And you know which way I'm headed
If my baby can't be found

I spoke to the river
And the river spoke back to me
It said man you look so lonely
You look full of misery
And if you can't find your baby
Come and make your home with me

Well, I don't want to leave her
Because I know she's still alive
And someday I'm going to find her
And I'll take her for a ride
And we'll spend our days forever
In our home beneath the tide

Posted on Feb 11, 2013 5:15:07 AM PST
The Lone Gunmen.

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:12:31 AM PST
W.T. says:
Anybody remember an obscure Fox show called "Strange Luck"? I miss that show still!

Posted on Feb 12, 2013 11:47:39 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Some series, no matter how good they were, or how much you really enjoyed them, simply reached the end of their shelf lives, regarding story arcs, characters, exhaustion of ideas, etc., and didn't have much room for further development. They were well ended when they finished.

The Fugitive
The Untouchables
Felicity

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 12, 2013 1:43:29 PM PST
Hikari says:
Adding New Tricks to that list, sadly.

They should have ended in Season 7. Hanging on for three additional seasons has not been kind. For the upcoming season 10, they will be carrying on without 75% of the original cast. Visionary or just incredibly foolhardy? It's still on top of the ratings at home in Britain, but the show's intrinsic character has suffered to the point where it's altered nearly beyond recognition.

Posted on Feb 17, 2013 9:08:48 PM PST
J. Paul says:
Three's A Crowd it wasn't as good as the last 3 seasons of Threes Company but it wss pretty good & why is this series not on DVD.
I agree with Balok loved The Critic as kid
High Incident underrated Cop show on ABC that had 2 seasons

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:33:52 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Come to think of it, each of those ("The Fugitive", "The Untouchables", and "Felicity") ran exactly four seasons, and ended at the right time.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:35:12 AM PST
Steelers fan says:
Now, "Star Trek" lasted a season too long. That third year was junk, although there were still some good episodes.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 9:53:09 AM PST
Pulpman says:
Harry O is on dvr the complete 2 seasons as well as the tv movie Smile Jenny you are Dead. I love this show and still consider it the best detective show on tv even today. David Jansen play the character in just the right way to keep you involved.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 9:54:41 AM PST
Pulpman says:
The last season of Star Trek tos was produced by Freddy Frieberger a well known series killer.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:17:16 AM PST
W.T. says:
I though Lost should have ended when the nuclear bomb went off. The last season or so was a waste.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 10:24:13 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Apr 12, 2013 8:27:36 AM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Yeah. G. Roddenberry stated that he offered to return to "Trek", but to no avail. What other series did Freiberger kill?

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 11:27:48 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Out of Practice, Action

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 11:28:40 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Friday Night Lights should have had at least two more seasons.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 11:59:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 18, 2013 12:00:22 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
"Star Trek" is also an example of a series whose fate was known in its last season. Never a ratings success, NBC had tried to cancel it twice, only to be dissuaded by massive letter-writing campaigns from fans. By the last year, stuck in a bad time slot (Fridays at 10 p.m., when a lot of the younger audience was out), it was a goner. It got pre-empted by other programming a lot, too. Roddenberry offered to come back; it didn't matter. Series didn't even have a final "wrap-up" episode.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:23:58 PM PST
Carnivale.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:40:17 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I'm not a Trekker who condemns season three of TOS. There were some very good episodes in it, including one of my favorites in the entire series, All Our Yesterdays, still as evocative today as it was all those decades ago. Sure, some episodes were a little weak, but watered down Star Trek is still be pretty potent. Besides, the iconic characters are still there to be enjoyed. I feel the original series needs that final season; any fan who decides to reject it is misguided, in my opinion, and only hurting himself or herself.

P. S. There is no such thing as too much Star Trek.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:48:58 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
That may have been the best episode of the last season.

Posted on Feb 18, 2013 1:54:37 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
McCoy and Scotty each got a love-interest episode in the last season, in "For The World Is Hollow..." and "The Lights Of Zetar", respectively. Both are good. The McCoy episode was originally intended as a two-parter.

I know it's not a "Star Trek" thread.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 18, 2013 1:59:59 PM PST
stevign says:
Stop talking about it, you'll just make me cry all over again.

Posted on Feb 19, 2013 2:35:52 AM PST
Pat Wood says:
Dogs in the city/luv dogs luv NYC

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 2:56:38 AM PST
Balok says:
@Steelers fan:

> Now, "Star Trek" lasted a season too long. That third year was junk, although there were still some
> good episodes.

I would put it that the network was very shortsighted in its decision to cut the budget before the third season and by not hiring Bob Justman as producer. Had the network not cut the budget so drastically, the producers wouldn't have had to limit themselves to such obviously low-budget stories. As you say, sometimes it worked -- "Specter of the Gun" and "The Empath" are examples of cheap episodes that worked (not that either of those episodes is without its problems -- just that they both told their stories effectively using minimalist sets).

One might be tempted to say that _The Twilight Zone_ (the original one) overstayed its welcome by about two seasons, except that I would probably respond that the few classic episodes in the last two seasons are classic enough to overcome the majority of clunkers. Not that anyone asked, but I'd put "In His Image," "Death Ship," "Miniature," "Printer's Devil," "On Thursday We Leave for Home" from season 4 and "In Praise of Pip," "Nightmare at 20,000 Feet," "Living Doll," "Number 12 Looks Just Like You," "Night Call," and "The Masks" from season 5 up there with the best TZ episodes from seasons 1 - 3. Of course, back then, they did 36 shows a season, so you could have a low hit/miss ratio and still end up with plenty of hits.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:01:33 AM PST
Balok says:
@Steelers fan:

> Yeah. G. Roddenberry has stated that he offered to return to "Trek", but to no avail.

I think that the story as Justman and Solow told it in _Waiting for Roddenberry to Die So That We Can Finally Say All of the Nasty Things about Him That We've Been Waiting 30 Years to Tell_, better known as Inside Star Trek : The Real Story, is more believable than anything Roddenberry might have said. Their version is that Roddenberry left at the end of the second season because he realized that given the budget cuts and the terrible scheduling, there was no way that there would be a fourth season, so why bother.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:04:40 AM PST
Balok says:
@Steelers fan:

> Never a ratings success, NBC had tried to cancel it twice, only to be dissuaded by massive
> letter-writing campaigns from fans.

This is a popular myth, but the NBC executives knew very well that the "massive letter-writing campaigns" were far less spontaneous than many of the letter-writers thought.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 19, 2013 3:05:56 AM PST
Balok says:
@Cavardossi:

> There were some very good episodes in it, including one of my favorites in the entire series, All Our
> Yesterdays, still as evocative today as it was all those decades ago.

I'll confess that the first time that I saw _Bedlam_, my initial reaction to the first scene in the asylum was, "Hey! That's Mr. Atoz!"
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  355
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions