Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite Christian Movies

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 68 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 6, 2012 9:30:07 PM PST
Balok says:
Although Bunuel famously said, "I'm an atheist, thank God," he made some truly great films on Christian themes: Nazarin, Viridiana, Simon of the Desert, The Milky Way. Admittedly, the last three are satiric views of the Church, but they are not entirely unsympathetic ones.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 11:48:18 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Luis Bunuel...great Catholic-influenced filmmaker.

That reminds me: Hitchcock's 'The Wrong Man'.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:10:31 AM PST
Oz le Fou says:
Or perhaps 'I Confess'.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 12:46:15 AM PST
J. Baker says:
Yeah, I only saw that once, too long ago. I've been meaning to revisit 'I Confess' again.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:31:06 AM PST
Balok says:
@Sloan:

> Or perhaps 'I Confess'.

In his interviews with Truffaut, Hitchcock said that non-Catholics had a hard time understanding the sanctity of the confessional, a point is central to the plot of _I Confess_.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 6:36:01 AM PST
Balok says:
@UCC:

> Luis Bunuel...great Catholic-influenced filmmaker.

For whatever reason, I find Mediterranean Catholic-influenced filmmakers (Bunuel, Almodovar, etc.) easier to take than American Catholic-influenced filmmakers. Maybe it's because the Spanish and Italians don't seem to take it quite so seriously.

For example, Scorsese feels some need to put a layer of Catholic Guilt [tm] on everything he touches. Sometimes it works (_Mean Streets_), sometimes it doesn't (the remake of _Cape Fear_). Then there's _Bringing out the Dead_. How many people (besides this non-Christian) felt that we were being beaten just a bit too lovingly about the head and shoulders with an amazingly heavy-handed parable about Jesus?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 7:06:37 AM PST
W.T. says:
Well,"The Exorcist" has enough explicit content, mostly foul language (spoken by the demon via the little girl), to make it inappropriate for many audiences. However, the story it tells is a very Christian one about a Catholic Priest who helps to free a little girl from demonic possession, based on a real case.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 4:10:01 PM PST
J. Baker says:
>"Then there's _Bringing out the Dead_. How many people (besides this non-Christian) felt that we were being beaten just a bit too lovingly about the head and shoulders with an amazingly heavy-handed parable about Jesus?"<

That's how I felt about 'Raging Bull', which I still think is Scorsese's first big misstep.

Let's not forget that his screenwriter (and Calvinist-influenced) Paul Schrader deserves a hefty share of the blame for those.

Although, with all my reservations about his writing, Paul's 'Light Sleeper' is more interesting to me than any Scorsese since the 1980s.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:01:07 PM PST
Balok says:
@UCC:

> That's how I felt about 'Raging Bull', which I still think is Scorsese's first big misstep.

One of the nice things about the internet is that you can discover that there is in fact at least one other person on the planet who does not agree with the critical consensus regarding _Raging Bull_.

I never saw _Raging Bull_ as a parable about Jesus -- especially since Jake La Motta violates several of the Cardinal Sins. Unlike Nicolas Cage's character in _Bringing out the Dead_, who is a savior both literally and metaphorically, La Motta doesn't seem to have died for anyone else's sins, if you know what I mean.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 7, 2012 10:23:41 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
I think you mean adversity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:05:40 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 8, 2012 12:06:12 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 12:06:40 AM PST
Georgedc says:
Anti-Christ

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 8, 2012 5:33:47 AM PST
W.T. says:
Thank you.

But it was a funny typo, at least! LOL!

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:03:32 AM PST
Anthony L. says:
Gospel of John

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:48:59 AM PST
mack says:
Not familiar with this movie...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 3:59:11 PM PST
mack says:
This isn't a Christian movie. This movie is about a psychotic preacher who's on the hunt for a dead man's money. This is with Robert Mitchum (1955 movie)Night of the Hunter..........

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2012 7:07:15 PM PST
J. Baker says:
The psychotic preacher is a fraud (evil). Lillian Gish is the spiritual influence (good) that leads to the children's salvation.
'The Night of the Hunter' is rather overtly, if not traditionally, a Christian movie. See it if you don't believe it.

Here are a few other Christian movies that are non-traditional, by way of Carl Theodor Dreyer: 'The Passion of Joan of Arc'; 'Day of Wrath'; Ordet (The Word)'.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 1:39:55 PM PST
Thanks for the succinct explanation - I was certainly in earnest when I added NOTH to the list.
Given that, I'm not sure how another one of my favorites would go over here - 1967's "Bedazzled", where the Devil is one of the two principals. The whole tone is quite arch and potentially offensive at times, but there are some interesting theological discussions going on.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2012 3:03:52 PM PST
Anne Rice says:
Bunuel was a genius.

Scorsese is a genius too, but he's from the New York streets in his
art, I suppose, and that colors all that he does.

Posted on Nov 16, 2012 3:07:04 PM PST
Anne Rice says:
Great Christian movies:
On the Waterfront
It's a Wonderful Life
Scrooge (A Christmas Carol with Alastair Sim)
The Borne Supremacy (the second Borne movie with Matt Damon)
The Passion of the Christ
Diary of a Country Priest

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 9:47:41 PM PST
Balok says:
@Vincent G. Macek:

> Given that, I'm not sure how another one of my favorites would go over here - 1967's "Bedazzled",
> where the Devil is one of the two principals. The whole tone is quite arch and potentially offensive at
> times, but there are some interesting theological discussions going on.

Despite the presence of the classic Moore/Cook comedy team, and Raquel Welch, I've always felt that _Bedazzled_ was one of Donen's misfires. Nothing to do with its Christian content or lack thereof -- I just didn't think that it was very funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 10:23:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 17, 2012 10:24:09 PM PST
J. Baker says:
Re: 'Bedazzled'

It was a masterpiece compared to the remake.

What didja think of 'Movie, Movie'? Being a Scott fan I was planning on re-seeing that soon. I saw it at a revival theater 13 years ago and didn't care for it much then.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2012 11:30:34 PM PST
Balok says:
@J.P. Baker:

> What didja think of 'Movie, Movie'? Being a Scott fan I was planning on re-seeing that soon. I saw it
> at a revival theater 13 years ago and didn't care for it much then.

I loved _Movie Movie_. I even liked it enough to get the Suevia (Spanish) DVD, which is AFAIK the only DVD version available, and which turned out (as I was afraid it would) to be the colorized version. You can probably guess that the presence of Ann Reinking ("And now, in her eighth month. . . Troubles Moran") in the first segment did not in any way lower the film in my esteem. I wonder if there are any other movies in which the same actor dies twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:22:51 PM PST
mack says:
Never heard of this Christian movie at all. Never saw this on TBN..

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 21, 2012 1:28:05 PM PST
mack says:
The only Christian movie here is The Passion of The Christ...Bourne Supremacy is an supense action movie.On the waterfront isn't a christuian movie...Scrooge isn't a christian movie at all....Try courageous, The Perfect Gift, King of Kings ,Facing the Giants...........
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  17
Total posts:  68
Initial post:  Oct 27, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions