Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more Discover it Stephen Marley Fire TV Stick Happy Belly Coffee Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer showtimemulti showtimemulti showtimemulti  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

My Pagoda Is Your Pagoda

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 304 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 6:42:07 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "I bet you made her gasp!!"

Yep, although I prefer to pretend that's a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 6:55:44 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Only political historians who have been taking LSD say that"

Like most things, there are exceptions, I think they were saying "in general" both have moved further to the Left over the years.

re: "Some of us actually know something about the history of American politics"

I think they call those experts "Political Historians", is that "your" profession?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 6:59:40 AM PDT
Balok says:
@stevign:

> I think they were saying "in general" both have moved further to the Left over the years.

Why don't you give us some citations? That should be fairly easy for you to do.

> I think they call those experts "Political Historians", is that "your" profession?

One does not have to be a professional historian to be able to compare and contrast the political positions of the men who have served as President during one's lifetime.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 7:34:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 4, 2012 9:31:05 AM PDT
stevign says:
re: "Why don't you give us some citations?"

Gee I don't know, because I'm not a Political Historian? Look, I'm just reporting what a couple Political Historians said on a PBS morning tv interview series. I saw a few years ago. I wish I could remember the name of the 1/2 hour series that was on each week but I can't. Perhaps you should hunt down a few Political Historians and battle it out with "them".

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 8:31:46 AM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 4, 2012 8:43:18 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 9:38:17 PM PDT
Balok says:
@stevign:

> Gee I don't know, because I'm not a Political Historian?

Let's see, you claimed that "political historians" state that both parties have moved leftward. Now you admit that you cannot provide any support for your claim other than a vaguely remembered conversation from two "political historians" whose names you cannot remember on a TV show the name of which you cannot remember. Why should I have to "battle it out" with anyone, given that I have already pointed out to you that your claim is demonstrably untrue? All you have to do is to compare the social and economic policies of Eisenhower and Nixon with those of the Republican Party from Reagan through Bush Jr., and the differences between Romney's actions as governor of Massachusets and the rhetoric he needed to adopt in order to get the Republican nomination.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 4, 2012 11:35:20 PM PDT
stevign says:
What's your friggin' problem Balok, either you believe what they assert or you don't. Give it a rest or go pester someone else. Jeeesh!

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 12:10:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 5, 2012 1:25:24 AM PDT
I must agree with my good friend, Balok, even though he considers me to be insane. Claiming that the Repbublicans and Democrats have moved farther and farther to the left is patently absurd. In election after election, long-time Republican congressmen have been turned out of office in their own primaries and have been replaced by farther to the right tea partiers. These far-right legislators on the state level are moving all over the United States in continuing legislation to reduce voting rights to only a selected few. Early voting rules and ID laws have been changed in 35 states to make it much more difficult to vote--unless your are a Republican. In Michigan, the governor can now decide to take over any city he pleases, dumping the local elected leaders and replacing them with his own city manager. The people have no right to object and their voting rights have been completely illiminated on the local level. This, as always, hits hardest at lower and middle class people and those who are members of a union. All over the nation while Republicans are saying they're creating jobs, they are, in fact, doing nothing but writing anti-abortion legislation. I am dumbfounded when some women legislators vote for these bills which allow the government to tell a woman what she must do with her body. The Republicans have always claimed that they want the government out their personal lives, but obviously that's only true if you're a man. When the government, as it did in Michigan, concentrates power in a central authority and removes from the people the right to vote, in other words, to have a say in determining their own fate, then it's very difficult indeed to claim we're not on the road to fascism. I know that's a loaded word, but the above is a pretty good definition of fascism. Good start anyway.

Moving to the left? Yeah, I don't think so. Any "political historian" who issues such a ridiculous statement is obviously working late nights in the Republican Propaganda Department.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 3:15:25 AM PDT
Balok says:
@stevign:

> What's your friggin' problem Balok, either you believe what they assert or you don't.

My problem is that unlike you, I believe that there is such a thing as "objective truth." I also believe that while the purported statements of fantasy creatures from another person's imagination may carry within them something approaching objective truth, the odds are against it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 12:28:29 PM PDT
stevign says:
re: "My problem is"

Which I no longer care about. Have a nice day.

Posted on Sep 5, 2012 1:20:20 PM PDT
Stevign, have you put frozen bags of peas around the swelling? I hope you're alright.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 5, 2012 3:08:51 PM PDT
stevign says:
have you put frozen bags of peas around the swelling?"

Five (5) times a day for 15 minutes. It's the only way I like peas.

re: "I hope you're alright."

All the attention from you fine women seems to make the swelling in my foot go down but the swelling seems to be traveling to my head. Odd.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 1:44:27 AM PDT
Lol, :))

I hope Vanessa is providing the bags of peas and cans of beer?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 8:04:08 AM PDT
stevign says:
That's not exactly her job.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 8:46:42 AM PDT
She's lookng after your swellings I hope?

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 8:49:53 AM PDT
stevign says:
LOLOL.......Actually she's adding to it.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 8:56:53 AM PDT
bella7 says:
D'oh!!

: 0

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 9:48:58 AM PDT
I should think it makes it difficult to walk ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 10:13:30 AM PDT
stevign says:
Well a man's gotta do what a man's gotta do.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vYCgPzP12iM

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 10:37:56 AM PDT
Lol :)

I've just been watching bits of Dr Horrible....... I am going to start watching Castle, and other Nathan Fillon films....

I'm just going to see if I can find anything with him unclothed......

Kacee likes!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 10:49:28 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Kacee,

You should check out Firefly - The Complete Series. Fillion is good in that. He plays the captain.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 11:20:17 AM PDT
stevign says:
Castle was ok for a season but I grew bored with it by the 2nd season. Nathan Fillon looks like he belongs on a Soap Opera.

Posted on Sep 6, 2012 11:31:05 AM PDT
Bella and stevign, thank you for the recommendations.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 11:35:25 AM PDT
bella7 says:
Now, now stevign...don't be jealous of Nathan's soap opera good looks. ; )

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 6, 2012 11:45:21 AM PDT
stevign says:
http://images1.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20110915191952/southpark/images/8/82/StanNKyle2.JPG
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  304
Initial post:  Mar 5, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 25, 2016

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions