Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite Cult Film?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 249 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Oct 14, 2012 11:04:44 PM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Good,Cheap,Fast,& fun films that have achieved Cult status.

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 11:07:23 PM PDT
My favorite cult film is 'The Big Lebowski.' Nothing beats, 'The Dude'

Posted on Oct 14, 2012 11:12:41 PM PDT
So many.
Being closer to Halloween now, my mood turns more for the macabre than action, comedy or romance, so on that I would have to say it's a toss up between 'The Curse of the Cat People' and 'Curse of the Demon'.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 7:02:58 AM PDT
The Big Lebowski cannot be considered a cult film anymore. If one of the top 10 filmmakers of all time made it then it's not a cult. If every white male who has smoked pot between 1995 and 2012 owns the DVD, it's not a cult film.

To be honest the frequency that it gets mentioned on these boards is getting creepy.

Posted on Oct 15, 2012 9:22:53 AM PDT
D. Vicks says:
Videodrome
Repo Man
Blade Runner

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:11:49 AM PDT
Q says:
"The Big Lebowski cannot be considered a cult film anymore. If one of the top 10 filmmakers of all time made it then it's not a cult. If every white male who has smoked pot between 1995 and 2012 owns the DVD, it's not a cult film.

To be honest the frequency that it gets mentioned on these boards is getting creepy."

Agreed.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 12:13:40 AM PDT
Q says:
Hi, we have a game about this. It's called "Favorite Cult Films: Continuation Game & Discussion."

Please refer to that thread for anything one may ever need to know about cult films.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 1:02:09 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 1:04:38 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 3:05:21 AM PDT
Creepy?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 8:03:21 AM PDT
ßækyr ~ Undead in Castle Courtempierre: If you read the top 100 movie reviewers, the Coen Brothers are frequently discussed among the top 10 greatest American directors of all time with Kubrick, Scorsese, Welles, Ford, Tarantino, Fuller, Peckinpah, and Altman. Like them, the Coen's made consistently high quality while still making a modest or even huge profit.

"Avengers" and "Prometheus" are 2012 releases. Have you forgotten what it was like to be young? I was six when the original "Star Wars" came out and engaged in stick fights with other six year olds, each of us making silly light saber sounds. By 4th grade, "The Empire Strikes Back" was a daily topic of conversation for at least the first 2 weeks of school. This was before DVD or even VHS.

The reason "Lebowski" is singled out is because it's fanbase is older... much much older in some cases. The only info I could find on sales:
http://forum.blu-ray.com/showthread.php?t=181220&page=11

8-21-11 90,716 blu-rays
8-28-11 39,000
9-04-11 22,175

Those are extremely high blu-ray sales for a movie that was over 13 years old at the time. We're into "Braveheart" and "Blade Runner" numbers there. I'm not such a snob to insist that all of those units were shipped to daily or weekly potsmokers, but my hunch is over half of them were. All I'm saying is let's have a one year moratorium on Lebowski. When 2014 rolls around, make it open season again. Whattya say?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 2:16:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 2:21:21 PM PDT
mc:>"Have you forgotten what it was like to be young? ... Whattya say?"<

I'm speechless. I am without speech.
Urh.....
All those units may have been purchased as multiple copies by the same loyal fans as gifts for family and friends in the valiant attempt trying to convert others?
We 'Lebowski' fans are a cult after all.
We've got the robes, special music and rituals, drinks of choice that we all must consume when we join.
Eventually receiving our Little Lebowski Urban Achievers diplomas.
Smoking optional. But like Donny, your Slice may be laced with LSD from time to time. Join us?!

More likely it's a case of excited cultists buying the new discs as soon as they're made available. It seems like a great mass at first, but the first flush of excited purchases is really all the action there'll be. Unlike how most people purchase videos of their favorite movies, cult film fans will often have multiple copies, different versions of their treasured movies that *most people still don't treasure, or even like especially*.

Granted, 'Lebowski' has become much more popular in the last several years than it used to be.
There is no question it was a cult film in 1998, 2000, 2003... Even cool college kids were largely clueless about it in that period.
The cult has grown to such an extent, I'd call it a borderline-cult case, like 'Blazing Saddles' and 'Dawn of the Dead'. It isn't quite as big or near-universally revered as those two yet.

An example of a former-cult that has grown so large as to not be considerable as cult anymore, is for 'Blade Runner'. I'm too young to remember when that was a cult. I've only known it first-hand as a widely celebrated modern classic on par with 'Close Encounters' and '2001' (I don't agree, but that's what I hear all the time).
Doesn't Maltin, for example, still give 'Lebowski' a pitiful two stars?
I know the reviews for 'Lebowski' were very mixed, mostly so-so, and all those reviewers in '98 have not magically changed their opinion. Neither has the average citizen's, the straight community's Opinion.
It's still a cult film.

If all this talk is so creepy, why bring it up?

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 3:50:43 PM PDT
Q says:
JB: "Both things are very familiar to people with a passion for film bordering on (or exceeding) nerdiness."

JB: "There is no question it was a cult film in 1998, 2000, 2003... Even cool college kids were largely clueless about it in that period."

I honestly don't know anyone my age who hasn't seen (or at least heard a ton about) Lebowski. And I don't think I know anyone who *has* seen and doesn't like the film. Heck, I like the film. I own it! I just don't think it is cult. You, Sloany, and I are the same age, so we are kinda from the same "era" in film. Do either of you have friends that haven't heard of the film and/or don't like it?

I'm sure that older people (i.e. my parents and the baby boom generation) may not have seen it, and may not care to (my dad would probably like it). Still, this age group probably hasn't even seen most of the "well-known" non-cult films that receive such praise these days.

As for nerdiness...I'm a bit of a nerd myself in my old age...in the most complementary way. :) But I don't think that the majority of Lebowski's fanbase would be considered nerdy film buffs. I would agree with Mr. Critic that the majority of the fanbase is quite the opposite. When I think of Lebowski, it reminds me of being in college, sitting around with my pals, drinking and having a bong toke. Apparently I was much "cooler" back then...

So I *can* say, from first-hand experience, that a lot of young adults (our age) consider it somewhat of a stoner/party film. It was widely known among my peers in the early 2000's. They may be stoners, and may like it for entirely different reasons than you do, but they like it nonetheless. It has a reputation for being "cool", and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "young internet people" today claim to have seen it and liked it just to seem "cool". That doesn't make a cult film in my opinion.

I've looked into it, and a couple of things that do stand out as cult are the fact that it wasn't a huge box-office success, and evidently became more popular over time, it has it's own festival (cult), and according to Wiki there is an online religion called Dudeism in reference to the film. -Definitely cult.

This is also per Wiki: "Entertainment Weekly ranked it 8th on their Funniest Movies of the Past 25 Years list." -Not cult

So I guess there is both an argument for and against the cult status. I'm not arguing you that the film isn't good!

Creepy may be a strong word. If anything, it makes for a good debate!

PS: I think you should definitely change your alias to "JB: Live from the Bowling Alley"...or "The Dude: Live from the Magic Carpet".

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 3:56:48 PM PDT
Q says:
I'm actually going to go watch it right now. For the simple fact that I haven't seen it in some time.

I *can* still quote it though!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:17:49 PM PDT
I bring Lebowski up hoping nobody will bring it up again. It's like going to the classical music forum and bringing up Beethoven's 5th every week or going to the Michael Jackson forum and bringing up "Beat It."

Every man, woman and child knows it and has a very definite thoughts about it. There aren't the random details, hidden subtext, or social commentary to keep bringing up Lebowski again. It's just evolved into some very desperate way for middle aged pot smokers to feel okay about doing something a more mature or ambitious person would have quit doing 10 or 20 years ago. It's a very strange spin to put pride on middle aged stoners when a little shame or regret might be more appropriate. There I said it! Let the outraged no voters be off to the races!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:25:44 PM PDT
Q: "You, Sloany, and I are the same age, so we are kinda from the same "era" in film."

But here's the key, Q: when did you first see it? How early in the 2000's?
It's a notorious film among a certain set, no doubt, but I came to it as a fan of the Coen's, not through the haze of a passing-the-bong party (not that there's anything wrong with that!)
It's quite something that everyone in your immediate circle knows and likes it. I have to say, that's the first time I've ever heard of that happening. And I've known several people that went to university, including a couple that were cognizant of all sorts of movies at the time. Could it be that it was bigger in the Southeast than way out west, here?

>"Do either of you have friends that haven't heard of the film and/or don't like it?"<

Absolutely, I do. And I've known of quite a lot around my age who don't care for it. And since in my business I'm around plenty of men and women 40+, 50+ and older, I can say definitely that 'The Big Lebowski' is not widely known by many over forty. Let alone well liked. And most of these people I'm referring to are well aware of popular movies, some of them are dedicated filmgoers who see more movies at the theaters now than I do.
'The Warriors' also has a pretty broad youth following today, not only older nostalgists. It's also a cult movie currently. Maybe one day it will have the justly bestowed title of all-time classic among most people. For now, it's a cult classic.

>>"It has a reputation for being "cool", and I wouldn't be surprised if a lot of "young internet people" today claim to have seen it and liked it just to seem "cool". That doesn't make a cult film in my opinion."<<

You have a valid point there. But I'm not sure how far that extends in reality. Under the cloak of anonymity, kids can say a lot of crazy things to seem part of something, sometimes something beyond their comprehension. I don't think most people watch 'Lebowski' and say they like it to seem cool. That "cool" factor is a recent thing, I would suggest. It wasn't cool in 2002 to love 'The Big Lebowski'.

It may become a bigger thing within the next decade, like 'Blade Runner' became, more widely accepted (or generally thought cool among a majority) but for now I maintain it is deeply, richly, uniquely a cult movie through and through, and deserving of the appellation: "The First Cult Movie of the Internet Age".

Now, 'Office Space'... don't get me started on how that's Not a cult movie! . . .

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:28:06 PM PDT
mr. critic,

Hogwash.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:30:17 PM PDT
Preach it, brother. Preach it.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:49:51 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 16, 2012 4:54:07 PM PDT
On second thought, I could have said more than "hogwash" ... that was a little un-Dude, was it not?

But ...what really is there to respond to, for someone who basically says that 'The Big Lebowski' has no substance and only addicts and assorted losers would hold any affection for it?
This is not 'Cheech and Chong on a Magic Carpet Ride' -- or as a similar scold (TAStith) had it: 'Abbott and Costello Meet the Morons'.

I'd say a person has to have a significant level of film literacy to fully appreciate the brilliance of 'The Big Lebowski', but that's true of most Coen films, and fortunately like 'Fargo' it can be enjoyed on many levels. Such is the magnanimity of the Boys; still it's not as approachable as 'Fargo'. It's a chillier view of humankind than 'Fargo' is, on further inspection.
It's not a movie for lightweights and amateurs. Not exclusively, anyhow. ツ

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:55:22 PM PDT
Could have used `Hogwallop'. At least that's Coen-ish.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:57:02 PM PDT
Q says:
Okay. We are going to have to agree to disagree.

I graduated high school in '99, so I saw it sometime not long after that. Maybe 2000-2001ish?

I was living in SW Virginia then. Near Virginia Tech. And I definitely hung with some stoners and restaurant-worker crowds. I remember watching it with my roommates. We also watched a lot of silly movies around that time too. That is one reason why I think Office Space is cult. It had poor success at the box office (I remember thinking, what a stupid movie. Who would pay to see that?), but it was later worshipped by me and a lot of my friends. We still quote it on a regular basis. It never gets old.

Well, here is a Wiki quote about Office Space negating the point I was trying to make about Lebowski earlier: Entertainment Weekly ranked it fifth on its list "25 Great Comedies From the Past 25 Years", despite having originally given the film a poor review.

So we are 3 rungs above Lebowski according to that highly esteemed source. Meaning- Less cult. Crap.

Who cares about Entertainment Weekly anyway? Haha.

I haven't taken a poll on who likes/dislikes these two films, and assessed the differences in age range. So I will just have to (ass)ume that maybe it's that we grew up in different areas and/or hung with different crowds??

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 4:59:14 PM PDT
It was very, un-Dude. And it really gets old hearing that 'The Big Lebowski' is a stoner movie, because there is so much more to it than a guy who likes pot, so much more. I don't necessarily think you have to have a significant level of film literacy to fully appreciate the brilliance of 'The Big Lebowski', but I don't think someone under twenty would be able to appreciate it. I just don't see how they could. I can't comment on Fargo, unfortunately. I haven't seen it yet, but am hoping to real soon.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 5:03:38 PM PDT
Q says:
Oh, and let me add one thing. Some of those "restaurant-working stoners" that I was referring to are actually pretty smart people. My best friends from high school/college and I turned out to have advanced degrees and real jobs, so we aren't all assorted losers! And definitely not addicts! Although, one is still a very highly functional stoner. I've gone rather straight edge.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:09:30 PM PDT
Re: "Who cares about Entertainment Weekly anyway?"

Yes. Meaningless leaches!

>"I haven't taken a poll on who likes/dislikes these two films, and assessed the differences in age range."<

Well get your glasses on and secure your pocket protector, Missy. We shall sycnronize our watches and get to work posthaste.
We'll meet next Spring at the Hollywood Star Lanes and discuss our results while sipping oat sodas and white russians.

Posted on Oct 16, 2012 5:13:05 PM PDT
Re: "Who cares about Entertainment Weekly anyway?"

I sure as heck don't.

*Whistling innocently with hands in pockets* ;)

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 16, 2012 5:24:07 PM PDT
Q says:
Haha. Okay.

Alright, fellas. I have to leave this debate on the merits of one Jeff Lebowski, so that I can head over to Alex's to tune in for the debate on the merits of Polished Idoit #1 vs. Cocky Idiot #2 to run this blasted country.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  52
Total posts:  249
Initial post:  Oct 14, 2012
Latest post:  Oct 10, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions