Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 10000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 6:52:44 AM PST
jmgirl says:
Letters to Juliet - 6/10 stars

While on vacation in Verona, Sophie meets a group of ladies called the secretaries of Juliet. They respond to letters lovelorn women have written to Juliet Capulet. Sophie joins them and writes a very late response. The recipient of that letter is Claire. Claire comes to Verona with her grandson, Charlie and Sophie helps her find her long lost love. Along the way Sophie simultaneously realizes her fiance is not "the one", and falls in love with Charlie.

I think this movie came at just the right time. I've been watching a lot of serious movies lately and I was in the mood for something sweet and fun that didn't require me to think too much.

It was formulated and totally predictable, but that was offset by the warmth of the story. Vanessa Redgrave was splendid as Claire. Even though she was not the heroine, all of the most touching moments in the movie involved her character.

Letters to Juliet was fluffy, lighthearted and romantic. It was perfect for my mood at the moment, so I'll call this one a winner.

No worries rick tan, your credibility is intact!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 6:58:18 AM PST
Hikari says:
Amanda Seyfried played a character named "Sophie" almost back-to-back . . .Mamma Mia and Letters to Juliet. Weird coincidence? Or do casting directors look at her face and go "You sure look like a Sophie?" She kinda does. More than like an "Amanda" anyhow.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 8:55:27 AM PST
jmgirl says:
This was the second movie I've seen her in. Dear John was awful IMO (I didn't like the book either). Can't quite pin down why I feel that way. Is Mamma Mia any good?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 9:55:02 AM PST
The only film I like Amanda Seyfried in is "Chloe"...we get to see all of her & Julianne Moore.....I felt like Liam Neeson in that one somewhat,"Dear John" I liked the first time I saw it....upon the second viewing, I lost interest in it....Channing Tatum was really playing the same character he played in "G.I.Joe"....still haven't seen "Jennifer's Body" yet.....her & Megan(sexy)Fox....what is wrong with me...I know, maybe, oh, never mind

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 10:33:55 AM PST
Hikari says:
@jmgirl
I actually enjoyed Mamma Mia! quite a bit. More than I expected to. I saw it at the dollar show, so I wasn't out a lot of money. There are some big musical numbers that might not come across as so much fun on the small screen. I think if you can watch it on a pretty large TV that would be best.

You have to go into it with your expectations properly adjusted:

1. Not only is this a musical, but it is almost COMPLETELY sung, like an opera. ABBA's greatest hits are interspersed with music and lyrics written expressly for the show. There is very little spoken dialogue.
2. Pierce Brosnan does have one flaw: he doesn't really sing. He gives it the old college try. But no.
3. Meryl Streep on the other hand has an amazing voice. It is not 100% trained, of course, but she sells every song like the consummate performer that she is, and looks to be having the time of her life. As you watch, bear in mind that Meryl was 59 years old when it was shot. It will gobsmack you even more.
4. Wait until you are in a goofy, funny mood. It would be very suitable for viewing for a girls' night in with several friends, particularly if you keep the alcholic drinks flowing. It's a fun movie. Not great cinema by any stretch. Sort of a disorganized mess, really, but everybody's having so much fun it's hard to fault them. It's kind of like everybody learned the music separately and then the director got everyone together for a couple of weeks of location shooting on a fabbo Greek island and just shouted, "Action!" with very little rehearsal actually involved. Some, if not all of the cast might have been a little drunk when they shot it. So it helps to be a little drunk when you watch it.

It'd be a great centerpiece to a luau-themed girls' night. Do not ask the men to watch it. And if you really can't stand the music of ABBA, you'll have to take a pass, 'cause it's all ABBA all the time!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 10:47:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2010 10:53:37 AM PST
Hikari says:
@michael
I saw "Chloe" recently and was very impressed with Ms. Seyfried. The girl apparently has skills that go beyond just the ingenue genre. Some really good acting in there by everyone involved. This film was in production when Liam Neeson lost his wife Natasha, and there is evidence of a profound sadness there that informs his character somewhat. I think there may have been a break in the shooting to accomodate his bereavement and that's why it took 18 months to come out on DVD.
Yes, some girl-on-girl action between her and Julianne Moore, if that's your thing. Ms. Seyfried is very fetching as an impeccably dressed or impeccably undressed prostitute. Julianne Moore does not fire my engines, sorry. Too thin, too pale, all those freckles . . .I look at her and all I see is red: red hair, red eyelashes and brows, red-rimmed eyes. Her profile is oddly flat, like one of those Roman bas relief statues. She whines, stridently. I've liked her in other roles, not particularly in this. With Ms. Seyfried's yellow hair and large, rather unsettling aquamarine eyes, it's quite the contrast between the two actresses. This is sort of a "Fatal Attraction" story, with a much younger woman in the Glenn Close role.

Amanda quite nearly does girl-on-girl action again with Megan Fox in "Jennifer's Body". This horror spoof is profoundly silly, but again I was impressed with Amanda for having some chops I didn't know she had. I just wouldn't have expected them to come out in that particular movie. She seems to alternate between playing a sunny ingenue romantic lead, and playing these darker supporting turns where she is mentally unbalanced. Though her character of "Needy" is actually the lead. She could be like this generations Rebecca DeMornay. I'll be interested to see what else she does. Hope it's more like "Chloe" and less like "Dear John".

Here's a P.S. to the three degrees of separation in Hollywood. Amanda's recent "Letters to Juliet" (anybody else see another trend in Amanda's career--always named Sophie, always in movies that are titled with some form of 'letter') she plays opposite Vanessa Redgrave. Who is the mother-in-law of Liam Neeson who Amanda played opposite in "Chloe". Weird how that works, huh? :P

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2010 1:27:40 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
Sharon Gless plays the exact same character in "Queer As Folk" and "Burn Notice." A naggy over-bearing mom always butting into the lives of her only son, (both) named, Michael.

In fact, you could take sound bites right out of QAF and insert them into BN and nobody would notice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 4, 2010 1:45:58 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Apr 27, 2012 3:02:38 PM PDT]

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 3:15:46 PM PST
Wastedyrs says:
Hereafter - And man was that the most pointless movie I have ever sat through. There was a story. And that story was this: man has psychic power. It ends there. Seriously. There's nothing exciting, nothing else worth noting, and nothing happens.

Here me know, believe me later.

Posted on Dec 4, 2010 6:08:43 PM PST
V. Pierce says:
Who is Harry Nilsson and Why is Everybody Talkin' About Him. This has opened up a whole forgotten world of music for me. Always loved Nilsson, and I'm glad to get reacquainted, and this time with more information than when I was younger. This documentary treats the tragic man with admiration, pleasure and respect. David Leaf made the film, and I've always found his films to find just those angles into a person's life that makes me feel as if I could have known them. This on Nillson, especially.

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 8:04:47 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Movies that I have recently watched are all 3 Lord of the Rings movies. It had been years since I last saw them, and while I find them enjoyable for the most part they are still not among my most favorite movies as compared to others like the Star Wars trilogy or other action/adventure fantasy trilogies. The movies are a little too lengthy for my liking for one, the characters seemed way too perfect, the bad guys were all really evil, the heroes were all perfect with little or no flaws, they were all noble and brave, and everyone was overly melodramatic, and they all spoke very eloquently and elegantly. A lot of it just seemed way too fake to me. Plus, all the heroes fight in numerous battles against thousands of foes and they always come out on top without a scratch? Okay. I know it's fantasy, but, I like a little more realism in my movies. Still, the special effects in these movies are amazing. And I did find myself being touched by the deaths of some of the characters and a little teary-eyed here and there in other spots. So, All in all an enjoyable viewing.

Another recent film I saw is titled Trailer Park of Terror and it is pretty much what the title describes. A bunch of lowlife trailer park residents end up getting massacred and join the living dead and become a bunch of zombie-like creatures who kill anyone who stumbles into their trailer park. Of course a busload of troubled teens crash their bus nearby and soon the slaughter begins. It was an okay movie worth a view if you are into horror movies. The film had a good amount of suspense, and the gorey special effects were pretty top notch and effective as well as the makeup job on the zombies which some were actually pretty creepy looking.

The last movie I recently viewed was The Big Lebowski with Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, John Turturro, Steve Buscemi, and Julienne Moore. And this is a movie that I can watch over and over again and it is always enjoyable. Most of you have already seen it I'm sure, it is about a bunch of likeable losers of which Jeff Bridges is the main character, a guy who calls himself "The Dude", and whose sole function in life is to smoke pot, drink, and go bowling with his buddies. Jeff Lebowski (Dude) gets mistaken for another guy named Lebowski by some thugs who are trying to extort money from him and this leads into the introduction of all kinds of zany characters who cross each others paths in a wild mix-up of comedy of errors. The real joy of the movie is watching the performances of it's stars, especially Jeff Bridges and John Goodman. If you haven't seen The Big Lebowski yet, I highly recommend it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 8:16:33 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:44:34 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 8:24:05 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010 8:24:58 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Really? You find Han Solo, the reluctant hero, a scoundrel and pirate, and Luke Skywalker, a whiney young farmboy who yearns to fight in the rebellion against the empire as being perfect heroes? Not me. That is why they are more interesting characters to watch, they just seem more realistic to me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:07:26 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:44:35 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:19:21 AM PST
jmgirl says:
We all interpret movies differently. My interpretation of LOTR was a bit different than yours. I didn't think Frodo was the perfect hero at all. He was small and peaceful. His bravery stemmed from a sense of responsibility, not a macho belief that he was the best. With the rest of the fellowship the imperfections were more subtle. They were all heroes in their own ways, but none could withstand the power of the ring. We can definitely agree on the special effects though. I also though the location for shooting (New Zealand, I think) was exquisite. I would recommend those movies for the scenery alone, lol.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:41:21 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010 10:09:50 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Ha, Ha! You're right, Tarek, but that's not what I really meant. The heroes in Star Wars were just more believable to me. But I still like the LOTR movies, just not as much as the Star Wars trilogy. C'mon, give me a hug now.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:45:51 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
jmgirl - I've got no problem with Frodo, that poor guy went through hell. And you're right about the scenery too, it was simply beautiful. The movies are wonderful to look at with great costumes, and amazing sets, and as I said before, the special effects are pretty spectacular.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:48:15 AM PST

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 9:50:51 AM PST
Tarek....you are at it again I see....

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:51:52 AM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Oh Geez...I don't know? I've never really kept count but it's been dozens of times over the years.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 9:57:07 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 23, 2011 8:24:25 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 9:59:58 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 6, 2010 10:02:51 AM PST
I just finished the Han Solo Trilogy of books "Paradise Snare", Hutt Gambit" & "Rebel Dawn".....Han is far from perfect....these books were awesome....& definately gives new meaning to "A New Hope" & "Death Star" does too....also in "Rebel Dawn" we learn what Lando meant in "Empire" when he says "you got a lot of guts coming here after what you pulled".......Han's relationship with Lando, Boba Fett & Jabba are explored here in these books....now if we could just a book on Luke's backstory on Tatoonie

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 10:00:04 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 23, 2011 8:24:25 AM PST]

Posted on Dec 6, 2010 10:04:27 AM PST
jmgirl says:
Daisies - 6/10 stars

Daisies is a foreign film about two young women who are perpetually bored. They make a decision to be bad and come up with all kinds of zany ways to keep themselves occupied.

This movie had well disguised depth and meaning, but came off as a "just for fun" kind of flick. In the first half the girls finagle their way into free dinners from older men. The poor gents are left heartbroken and alone at the end of the night. In the second half they go on a destructive binge culminating at a banquet hall they broke into. At the end the girls begin to wonder if being bad is really making them happy.

With psychedelic images and scenes flip flopping from black and white to color this movie fit the era from which it came (the 60's). It was a wacky, kooky movie that also has heart if you pay close enough attention.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 6, 2010 10:07:00 AM PST
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions