Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 8351-8375 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 5, 2012 11:55:52 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "Bates in "Misery" was simply a masterful performance."

So was Fried Green Tomatoes and Delores Clayborne.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:29:11 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 6, 2012 2:34:42 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 4:37:40 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
stevign: I agree about DC and Fried Green Tomatoes--I mentioned Misery and Hard Candy because they are two takes on the same situation--men being held by women who are up to no good. One being tortured physically (and mentally), the other being tortured mentally. It soon became clear the Bates character was just a tiny bit NUTS, but I never could decide if the character Ellen Page played in Hard Candy was truly nuts or not.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:21:00 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:22:16 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 7:23:02 AM PST
stevign says:
That's true for me as well. It just amazes me why we don't see her as much as other great actors and in really "good" movies.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 7:48:48 AM PST
stevign: What is the difference between a good film and a "good" film?

I fail to see the utility of the quotation marks.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:47:46 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:50:24 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
The quotes convey a sarcastic distance.

Good film. (writer means it) vs. "good" film (writer doesn't think so at all.)

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 12:50:05 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:50:51 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
Laurence Olivier made it clear that he worked for money; it was all he could give his family. He did "The Betsy", "Inchon", and Polaroid commericials. Richard Burton, whose reputation is more mixed, was even clearer; he stated once that he would do anything for money, or words to that effect. I think I'm correct.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:00:21 PM PST
Steelers: It's neither good, nor accepted style.

Unless you haven to be finger-quotin' Margo in Apartment 3G.

Simply saying so-called good films would be so much clearer, and so much more correct.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:03:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 1:06:06 PM PST
Steelers: Olivier did more parts with accents for the paycheck than even Meryl Streep.

One critic, commending on his performance in The Jazz Singer with Neil Diamond (just typing that makes my flesh crawl) said "At one point, Lord Olivier exclaims, "I haff no son!" If he keeps doing this sort of film, he will haff no career."

As for Burton--I can think of no actor who did so much bad work, for so long, so consistently.

His turn in Candy might not be the ultimate I'll-do-anything-for-a-buck performance--but it might be in the top 10.

"Need! My great........NEED!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:08:30 PM PST
stevign says:
For some reason Hard Candy is talked about a LOT on these movie threads. Both good and bad reviews are here for the reading (mostly bad I think), but I get the impression that I really wouldn't want to waste my time with it and that it's rather sick.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:11:15 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
I thought Ms. Page was brilliant in "Hard Candy".

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 1:14:36 PM PST
Steelers fan says:
The Medved brothers singled out Burton's performance in "The Exorcist II: The Heretic" for special notice. "E-E-E-V-I-L-L-L-L!" He was in that movie where Tatum O' Neal is naked. But then he could turn around and play Richard Wagner in a tremendous performance, near the end of his career.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 1:40:35 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
That's all I was left with after sitting through it. A feeling of wasted time.

I stand with: good performance from whats her face or no - that is not a theme/message/story I care to be enveloped in. I found it aggravating and quite vexing every minute it progressed - leading to a climax of exponential frustration and bewilderment at what I just watched and why I just watched it.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 2:04:59 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
stevign: At best "Hard Candy" is a psychological thriller". The performances by Page and the guy (don't remember his name) are excellent. What is disturbing on some levels is which of them is the most evil/disturbed/perverted/etal. And it just hammers away at you if you get involved in the movie. I kept wanting to turn it off, but just kept watching. I don't know if you would like it or despise it. I am very sure I am not going to watch it again. On the other hand I do not believe that it is an insignificant movie. The last movie I watched, watched the entire movie when it was everything I could do to not turn it off, was "American Me". They are different movies but they had the same affect on my sensibilities.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 3:40:37 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Concerning the short film on TCM- it is titled "What Price Jazz" (1934), from MGM. Thanks goes to Steelers fan who posts here occasionally. :)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:29:15 PM PST
stevign says:
lolol....Well that ain't good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 4:31:29 PM PST
stevign says:
Oh man, I loved "American Me", but it is rough to watch in spots. It's gritty and they pull no punches.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 5:11:41 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
stevign: My understanding of the message of "American Me" is that anyone who is not a gang member is "prey". That would be me and millions of others. I am sure that sociologist, etal. would say that WASPS are the true reason this innocent young men turned to crime. Anyone selling that, don't knock on my door.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:05:15 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 6:05:40 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "My understanding of the message of "American Me"

I didn't see it as a "message" film, it's more like a Docudrama about how the Mexican Mafia (La Eme) was formed and eventually took over the California Prison System.

re: "is that anyone who is not a gang member is "prey"."

They don't care if you're a WASP, if you're not in their gang (clique), then you are open to be preyed upon.

[Wiki]

The character of Montoya Santana is modeled after Rodolfo Cadena, who was a high-ranking and founding member of in the prison gang La Eme, known popularly as the Mexican Mafia. In real life, Cadena unsuccessfully attempted to steer La Eme into left-wing activism before being stabbed to death by members of the rival Nuestra Familia. In the film, Santana is stabbed and killed by his own gang.

The character of J.D. was based on Joe "Pegleg" Morgan, a Croatian-American gang member and prisoner who preferred the company of Gangsters and along with Cadena helped found La Eme, becoming a high-ranking, respected, and feared member of the Latino gang even though he was of Croatian descent. Morgan died from liver cancer in 1993, while he was incarcerated at California State Prison, Corcoran.

The real Mexican Mafia continues to revere Cadena and was enraged by the film, as the Cadena character is portrayed as having been raped as a juvenile ward of the court at the beginning of his foray into the criminal justice system and ultimately stabbed to death by his own followers at the end of his criminal career.

Eme godfather Joe "Pegleg" Morgan allegedly attempted to extort money from Olmos, the director and lead actor of the film. An Eme member-turned-informant raised the possibility of putting out a contract on him... Court documents show that Olmos was a victim in one extortion count contained in a 33-count federal indictment.

According to reportage by CBS News weekly 60 Minutes, three consultants on this film were later murdered because of the depiction of a homosexual rape scene which offended the Mexican Mafia's internal code of "ethics."The first killing occurred 12 days after the movie's premiere when one of the film's consultants Charles "Charlie Brown" Manriquez, who was a member of La Eme, was slain in Ramona Gardens, L.A.'s oldest public housing project.

Another well-known person of East Los Angeles and paid consultant to the film, 49 year old grandmother Ana Lizarraga commonly known as "The Gang Lady", was murdered when she was gunned down in her driveway unloading groceries. A federal indictment accused La Eme of ordering the 1992 murder of Ana Lizarraga.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 6:25:51 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
stevign: You certainly knew much more about this movie than I did or do. Frankly the movie outraged me. Why should I have to live in a country where gangs such as this are allowed to be. If every police/prosecutor/judge in the state knows who these people are, why are they not hounded daily until they cease to exist. Don't bother answering. There is no logical or reasonable answer. Thank God I am old and hopefully will not live to see this country go completely in the dumps. Sorry, but certain things ring my bell and I get "upset".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:34:40 PM PST
C McGhee says:
stevign- American Me

A truly insightful look at gangs in American prisons. We had an incident where a man was held down by two men in front of other other prisoners while another gang member slowly pushed an electric wire through the guys eye & then the wire was turned around and around scrambling his brains. I didn't really need to recall that one but your post brought it to mind.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 6:37:19 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Larry Kelley- anyone who is not a gang member is "prey"

While that's true, in point f fact anyone including gang members can be used as prey. You don't want to be suspected of being weak on your gang or be in a position of being used as a message to other members.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 7:19:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 7:27:51 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "Sorry, but certain things ring my bell and I get "upset"."

Hey, I don't blame ya, I've often wondered why they just don't declare these gangs an ongoing criminal organization and prosecute them all under the RICO Act (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act)? I also don't understand why we don't use the Death Penalty more than we do, we REALLY need to thin this herd of gangsters.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 7:26:50 PM PST
stevign says:
There's a really heavy tv series called Gangland on the History Channel that every American citizen should watch. The majority of us don't have a clue as to what really goes on in this country when it comes to gangs.

http://www.history.com/shows/gangland
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions