Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Jodie Foster!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 143 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 6:40:23 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 8:07:51 PM PST
MarcTheKing says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oK0R7Jn-QFU

Her Golden Globe Honors was a great moment for her. Great Speech. Great Actress. She demanded privacy and respect in her life and got both. The "surprise" in her speech concerning her private life and her career finale was honest, and and heartfelt as anyone could hope. I wish there were more celebrities like her.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 7:15:06 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Then again, if Jodie Foster wanted to be really private about her private life, she could have just graciously accepted her award, said a few words of thanks to the Golden Globers and the industry, and mentioned nothing whatever about her personal history or partners. People used to do that all the time, a simple "Thanks for the statue and goodnight!" without any biographical information.

If she wanted to be really, really discreet, I mean.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:19:28 AM PST
But the speculation is now at an end for her. By getting that out of the way, she's pretty much squandered all the "is she or isn't she" talk.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:11:31 AM PST
Why can't the golden globes and academy awards just be about movies?

If actors want to talk about privacy or their sex lives, why not go on a talk show?

How would it be any different if Mel Gibson had won an award years ago and went on a rant about how the catholic church had abandoned the doctrine he felt was most important or how 90% of the people who could green light a movie were jewish?

In both cases they would be perfectly valid opinions in a totally inappropriate forum. It smacks of arrogance and entitlement to a soapbox.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 10:54:59 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Anybody who was still in doubt about Miss Foster's preferences would have to have been living in a total media-proof bubble for the last twenty or thirty years, though.

Or, be so indifferent to her inclinations that the "is she or isn't she" question never registered on his or her consciousness. That would be, I'd think, the preferable state of being.

Speculating on whether she was "that way" or not would be kind of like taking bets on whether the sun would rise tomorrow.

All I can say is that everybody in my club knew more about Jodie and her loves and kids and breakup and inexplicable sympathies with Mel than we really needed to.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:31:09 AM PST
RichieV says:
I don't pay as much attention to who is dating who (whom?) as I should when it comes to celebrities. I always assumed she had came out and I had just missed it.

No big deal, I remember before Clay Aiken came out it was the Gay community that was hounding him to come out. People should be free to come out or keep it to themselves.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:26:00 PM PST
Hikari says:
I'm a longtime admirer of Jodie's acting work. Her 'announcement' was an Event on a par with Ricky Martin's or Clay Aiken's similar 'revelations'. Jodie's eldest boy is now what, 16, 18 years old? Then 16 or 18 years is how long any semi-perceptive person has known that Jodie's taste does not run to men. At the time she announced her first pregnancy, she issued a press release stating categorically that she refused to talk about the father, the 'method of conception', etc. Seeing as, in the normal run of things, the 'method of conception' is not usually a subject for exhaustive speculation, the effect of her preemptive announcement was actually to invite the very exhaustive speculation that she was purporting to want to avoid. Was that the aim? I don't know, but that was kind of the outcome anyway.

I've only read reproduced articles of the speech, but it seemed that she was saying that she's currently single & had actually waited until she broke up with her longtime girlfriend to actually come out. If that's what she was doing. Advertising for a new squeeze? Anyhoo--Jodie's aces at managing her message. She never says anything but precisely what she means to say, when she means to say it. Her pal Mel Gibson could take a lesson in image management from her.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:29:34 PM PST
Isn't this old news. I thought this was already out there.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:43:47 PM PST
RichieV says:
I guess if I can defend the crazy chair speech by Clint this one is a no brainer. I thought it was a good speech, people are making much ado about nothing.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 1:36:47 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
On a side note, I found Jodie Foster most attractive in her role alongside Mel Gibson, in "Maverick".

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:41:01 PM PST
RichieV says:
Little girl who lived down the lane. (but then, When I saw it I was about the same age as her character)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 2:34:56 PM PST
Hikari says:
@KB
She was very appealing in Maverick. For a later role where I think she looked like a million dollars, "Madeleine the Fixer" in "Inside Man". That really was a good look for her.

I liked her a lot in her directorial debut, "Little Man Tate".

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 6:04:25 PM PST
She's just a poor man's Jennifer Jason Leigh who gets by by taking her cast-offs (and Michelle Pfeiffers) and a dozen others. She was so average in the average 'Silence Of The Lambs' that the better sequel got along perfectly fine without her. She is catastrophically useless at comedy, her sophomore project as a director was an irritating mess. She's clearly a smart woman who's somehow convinced the critical masses that she's come from nothing to embody the sort of intelligent female lead that can kick arse that others can make believe that can be with her so-called guiding light. For God' sake, woman, there's any amount of woman leads (when they get them) that have been doing that for years!

Oh and her paternal love for Mel Gibson is just creepy and annoying, as is her defence of annoying 'Twilight'er Kristen Stewart, just cos she player her momma once, and there was no way she wasn't going to inject a little bit of her private life into proceedings, just to remind people she's still here and commercially viable. What a shame. You'd never get Jennifer Jason Leigh doing anything similar. Or any of her other betters.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 6:23:50 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
I will have to check those out, don't believe I've seen them...Inside Man have Denzel in it? Either way, both sound good.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 8:10:13 PM PST
I found her speech to her Mom the highlight of her speech. I made those same statements to my Mom as she lay in a coma following a stroke. Hang in there Jodie!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 6:13:22 AM PST
Hikari says:
@KB
Yup, Inside Man pits Denzel as the detective against Clive Owen as the leader of a bank heist gang. Not normally a Spike Lee fan, but it's a great thriller.

Little Man Tate was done in the early '90s. Jodie directs and stars as the working-class mom of a 9-year-old genius. Harry Connick, Jr. is also in it.

Jodie also was very good in Panic Room with an 11-year-old Kristen Stewart & in Flightplan.

ScottPaul2 is obviously a hater and I'm ignoring the rather unhinged rant above this. I actually commend Jodie for not jumping on the trendy Hollywood "Hate on Mel" train. Yeah, Mel has some issues of mental health and no internal filter, but it's just gutless and fashionable to hate on him now. Jodie bucks the trend there.

By the way, Kevin, be sure to watch Jodie and Mel together as an embattled married couple in "The Beaver". Jodie's best directorial effort by far. And Mel proves that he can act, despite his other problems.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:43:36 AM PST
D. Larson says:
I don't thnink we "hate" Mel that much. We're more amused. Sure, he's a raving antisemitic woman-hating loony with a bad drinking problem and a vile mouth. But, they'e common enough. Mel is just better known than most.

Anyway, with his increasingly rare forays into mainstream movies, we don't even pay him that much attention. His best pictures are long behind him, and unless he undergoes a Full Eastwood and somehow emerges as a beloved elder statesman, an eminence grise or a repentant philanthropist, he'll increasingly be just that old guy who used to be in cop movies.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 7:45:14 AM PST
Count me among the admirers of Ms. Foster. When she's good, she is very good indeed. I don't particularly like all the many of her films--but I do like her.

And if she chooses to reveal some details about her private life, that's her prerogative. Besides which--she is one of the few genuinely intelligent people in the industry. I've heard her interviewed in person, and she is quite refreshing.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 8:06:16 AM PST
Hikari says:
Jodie is a summa cum laude graduate of Yale University & is fluent in French. Very fluent. She appears in a supporting role as a widow in "A Very Long Engagement" with Audrey Tautou. I am not an expert, but her French sounded impeccable to me.

For someone who's been a working actress and primary economic support of her family since she was three years old, Jodie is remarkably level-headed and has reached the milestone of 47 years in show business with nary a stint in rehab, an arrest, or a court appearance of any kind. She's collected multiple Oscars and conducted her personal life out of the papparazzi glare. A class act that the starlets of the current generation (hello, LiLo, et al) should take a lesson from. They won't, but they should.

Jodie is just a bit older than me and I've followed her career since we were both gawky pre-teens. She grew out of her gawkiness into a very attractive and savvy woman. What an irony that she and Lindsay Lohan were both in "Freaky Friday"--what a completely different outcome for them. Jodie has managed a life that cannot have been simple with grace and dignity--hard to believe she's 50!

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 8:20:21 AM PST
H: From what I have heard, her French is entirely correct and idiomatic.

She is quite admirable.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:32:54 AM PST
KinksRock says:
Clint was really angry with that chair, but I must admit that I didn't see how the chair deserved that kind of abuse. Maybe it looked at him funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 11:33:38 AM PST
KinksRock says:
I thought it was nice that Mel apparently made it through the evening without an anti-Semitic rant.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 11:52:40 AM PST
Why is anyone who doesn't suddenly worship Jodie Foster considered a "hater"? She's a fairly capable but by no means great actress that adds a certain nervous flustered and timid quality to every role. The ultra liberal Hollywood elite propaganda machine is making me absolutely freaking ill. How about at least saving the hero worship for an actress who has done many different genres of movies well?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 12:45:04 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 12:48:10 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Mr. Critic--
I admit that Jodie does have certain patented mannerisms that are hallmarks of her performances, though 'timid' is not an adjective I'd choose. High-strung, perhaps, but nearly every role she's ever done in her career is the antithesis of timid.

SP2's 'comment' (I will dignify it with the term) has now been mercifully hidden by the community. Did you get a chance to read it? Listen, I don't 'worship' Jodie Foster. She's not even my favorite actress. But one doesn't have to be a sychophant to disagree heartily with SP2's terms such as "poor man's Jennifer Jason Leigh"; "catastrophic at comedy"; "irritating mess"; "creepy and annoying", or even the relatively innocuous 'so average'. Jodie is far from 'average'. She may not be to everyone's taste as a performer, but 'average', she sure isn't.

Perhaps SP2 will come back and illuminate further for us what he meant by Ms. Foster's 'paternal love' for her friend, Mad Mel Gibson. Even with Jodie's recent coming out at the Golden Globes, and as talented as she is, I'd say displaying 'paternal' love is beyond even her.

It's language choices like the above which led me to label Mr. SP2 as a hater, not that he doesn't belong to some Cult of Jodie. As neither do I. I think you are intelligent enough to see the difference.

And with all due respect to Jennifer Jason Leigh, who is an actress I admire very much, to say, as SP2 did that Jodie Foster's career is made up of 'JJL cast-offs' is a patently ridiculous statement. Jodie predates Ms. Leigh in the movie business by quite a wide margin. By the time JJL debuted in "Fast Times at Ridgmont High" in 1982, (not forgetting that Ms. Leigh had show biz connections in the person of her father, Vic Morrow), Jodie was already a movie veteran with 17 years' worth of show business jobs on her resume. Jodie and JJL are a similar age, and may have been in contention for some of the same roles over the years, but Jodie has, to large degree, blazed the way for tough, independent actresses--she got there first, and in a sense, her career has made those of others like JJL or Julianne Moore possible.

And I feel compelled to point out that Jodie has steered her own course and become a multi-hyphenate in the movie business without either a show business parent OR by marrying a director. She became one instead. Jodie doesn't have 'betters' so much as she's set the standard. That's not 'worship', but it's true anyway.

Posted on Jan 16, 2013 1:12:44 PM PST
Mr. Critic: And what, pray, does the "ultra liberal Hollywood elite propaganda machine" have to do with Ms. Foster?

Unlike Sean Penn and Babs Streisand, she's quite circumspect about her politics.

Her reputation is built solely on her work. Which, by the way, is quite varied--if you bothered to look at it. I'll be the first to say that I don't particularly care for a lot of her films. But one certainly can't accuse her of being a one-note performer. From Silence of the Lambs to Contact to Nell is a pretty broad range.

Are you suggesting that we reflexively condemn anyone who happens be be gay, and dare mention the fact? Particularly when the media are full of the couplings of untalented performers?
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  143
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 25, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions