Professional restaurant supplies Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_cbcc_7_fly_beacon $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer bschs2 bschs2 bschs2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback May4th
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1226-1250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 5:53:09 PM PST
Now who in the world could possibly dislike that film?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:26:00 PM PST
stevign says:
I found it a bit boring.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:39:35 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Blasphemy!! It's a classic film that will be enjoyed for years and years to come.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:42:20 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
JB: I've watched the entire film 3 or 4 times and parts of it many times, and I still get a kick out of McGavin, the kids, the entire show! You are correct, it is a classic!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 26, 2012 7:51:27 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Growing up my family would watch it on Christmas. And to this day, even though us kids aren't kids anymore, and we have lives of our own, when we're together on Christmas day the TV won't be showing Basketball or anything like that, nope.... 'A Christmas Story' will be on, and we'll be watching it.

Posted on Nov 26, 2012 7:59:28 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
JB: Jean Sheppard wrote a lot of short stories for Playboy magazine--which I only purchased to read the articles and stories-(I didn't inhale either). I half-way believe I read this story there--but it just doesn't fit that magazines style--but I still think I read it somewhere before the movie came out. I had a Red Ryder BB gun too, not the model shown in the movie. Wasn't Red Ryder played by Allan Lane--and Robert Blake?
Another Question: What movie did Robert Blake and Robert Redford co-star in?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 3:30:46 AM PST
Robert Redford and Robert Blake were in a 1969 movie called "Tell Them Willie Boy Is Here"
Allan Lane and Don "Red" Barry played Red Ryder in the serials,Robert Blake was Little Beaver in some of them,a mix of actors in both parts.
They made a few pilots for a TV series but for some reason it was never picked up.
Playboy in the early years did have an odd assortment of short story writers that did not really fit the magazine,the interviews were a strange
mix-Jimmy Carter with Lust In His Heart horrible sinner.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 7:51:47 AM PST
The only Christmas film I bother to watch is "A Christmas Carol" (1951) starring Alastair Sim. No other version can match it. It was nicely restored within the last few years.

I can't watch "It's a Wonderful Life" for fear of a having a diabetic attack.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 12:51:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 10:55:56 AM PST
I've just finished partially watching Rock Of Ages starring Tom Cruise. Thank goodness I didn't go to the cinema to watch it! I thought it was okay but I didn't enjoy it. The bits that I did see, were mostly of Alec Baldwin, and he was the best part of the film.

Edit. I just rewatched the Alec Baldwin and Russell Brand scene again - so funny :)

Spoiler!!!!!!!!!
http://youtu.be/fVqV4KakzMs

5 out of 10

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 1:18:02 PM PST
Ah, Christmas films.

Let me first discard the coal in the stocking and eliminate Capra's nasty exercise in sticky sentimentality and bad economics.

The essential viewing chez Smith?

A Christmas Story--perfect fun, and a perfect blend of sugar and spice.
White Christmas--for Vera Ellen.
Holiday Inn--for Fred Astaire.
Christmas in Connecticut--for Barbara Stanwyck.
The Bishop's Wife--for spirituality.
And the Sim A Christmas Carol, and God bless us, every one!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 2:12:06 PM PST
WAS: Please don't tell me you have a 'Leg Lamp'!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 2:14:04 PM PST
... I gave big fruit baskets to my teacher as well...

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 2:41:50 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Warren B: I have one, it is the hi-lite of my early Dreck decorating style. Actually it was given to me and I do like it. In the movie it provided a lot of laughter for me and my family and I view my small copy as a reminder of that.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 2:58:48 PM PST
Warren:

Of course I do. A small one.

And an official Red Ryder BB gun.

Both were gifts.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 3:17:17 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
MR. Smith you never cease to amaze me. But I am just a teensy bit doubtful that you are telling the truth--are you spoofing us?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:56:10 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 27, 2012 4:56:52 PM PST
LK: On matters of great importance, such as A Christmas Story, I would never spoof.

After all, who could resist the gleam of electric sex, as Ralphie puts it?

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 4:58:38 PM PST
chasmcg says:
Skyfall - B

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 5:05:01 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Mr. Smith: Excellent then! I haven't watched the Alastair Sim movie in a long time. Last time it was on TV the film was so faded and bad it was impossible to watch. It is a family favorite though among all the adults.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 27, 2012 5:35:15 PM PST
Larry Kelley:

This great film was beautifully restored around 2007 for DVD release and is now even available in Blu-ray. The DVD is a two disc set containing the original black and white print and includes the colorized version which I simply skip. The original UK release title of this film was "Scrooge." In the US it was released as "A Christmas Carol."

Although it strays a bit more from Dickens' original text than some other film versions, none captures the essence and the times in which the story is set better than this.

Posted on Nov 27, 2012 8:00:54 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Bruce: I am using Neflix streaming until I run out of easy to get to stuff, then I will hook up my DVD player (needs a cord or something that my niece's husband has if he can find it) and will start watching what isn't available on Netflix. I have watched the Sims version but it was many years ago. I think I have seen at least 7 or eight versions--all to some degree interesting, but not as good or affecting as the Alastair Sims version. Thanks for the info.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 28, 2012 3:15:02 AM PST
Larry: I can not picture Mr. Smith with a leg lamp and a Red Ryder BB gun either. A smoking jacket,a pipe,slippers,looking at a bust of one of the
first philosophers-Yes.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:23:18 AM PST
Warren: Consistency is the hobgoblin of little minds. Emerson.

I am large. I contain multitudes. Whitman.

There is no contradiction between Plato and the leg lamp.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 6:26:53 AM PST
Dickens' short novel has been rendered on screen many times. More often than not, in modernized or bastardized versions, only one or two of which--Scrooged, for instance--are worth even a passing glance. I can recall three worthwhile versions: the Sim, which is the best; the Reginald Owen; and a TV version with George C. Scott, which I recall as being quite decent.

For the rest--Bah. Humbug.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 29, 2012 6:28:12 AM PST
WAS: No fan of the Albert Finney version?

He was the perfect Scrooge.

Posted on Nov 29, 2012 7:16:12 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 29, 2012 7:17:35 AM PST
PoM: Sorry to resort to the internet equivalent of a shout, but: IT'S A MUSICAL, DAMN IT!

With sticky music and lyrics by Leslie Bricusse--of Doctor Doolittle infamy.

Not even the considerable talents of Mr. Finney, Alec Guinness, and Kay Walsh, among others, can rescue this over-roasted turkey.

There are certain writers whose work should never be turned into a musical, and dickens heads the list. I have suffered through Dickens-based musicals--this abomination, and Oliver!, for my sins (seeing that alone is penance sufficient to guarantee the remission of all my sins), and Nicolas Nickelby--and even the best of them (Nik Nik) is a Bad Idea.

Sim remains the gold standard, and for more modern versions, Scott.

God bless you, laddie, but you really need to learn the difference between a good musical, and a bad one, and further what is appropriate to be made into a musical, and what is not.
Discussion locked

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions