Truck Month Textbook Trade In Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Grocery Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Spring Arrivals in Outdoor Clothing May4th
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 251-275 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:20:30 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Agree:

Statement: Point Break is a fantastically fun movie to watch.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 4:29:53 PM PST
I can't comment on that, since I barely remember 'Point Break'. I wish this was about 'Point Blank' (with Lee Marvin)!

I'll leave this for the next visitor.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 4:55:46 PM PST
Re: Point Break: agreed. Good fun.

Gosh, I want to respond to someone's ill-humored comment about that vicious tissue of lies Fahrenheit 9/11; but I won't.

Instead: Few bits of comedy in a film are funnier than the birthday cake sequence in The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:20:43 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 11, 2012 5:23:29 PM PST
Mildly disagree. It's such a personal judgement, but I find more than a few comedy sequences in American film funnier than 'The Bachelor and the Bobby Soxer''s birthday cake scene. Then, as you know, I'm including the silent films of Ernest Lubitsch, Boris Barnet, Rene Clair, Charles Chaplin, Sam Taylor, Buster Keaton, Harold Lloyd, King Vidor, etc., which are not to some people's taste.

Statement: Some directors on the level of skill that Hitchcock, Walsh and Ford were at, can remake their own films and have them come out better than the originals (cf. 'The Man Who Knew Too Much', 'Colorado Territory', The Sun Shines Bright'). And then there are directors like Frank Capra, who remade some of their films that never should have been mad in the first place (see: 'Lady for a Day').

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 5:22:37 PM PST
WAS,

Since you couldn't begin to justify the canard "vicious tissue of lies 'Fahrenheit 9/11'", and it wasn't a Statement anyhow, it's a good thing you stayed as mum as you did.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:39:37 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Disagreed, and I have gone at great lengths as to why Act of Valor is a first rate film. And for the record, I find it funny that you would condemn both AoV and 2016 as partisan hackery propaganda marred with paranoia among many other things, and yet praise Fahrenheit 9/11 even though it's the same thing. At least both films were an honest attempt at their respective jobs; AoV as a pro-military picture and a Marine-recruiting propaganda flick (just because a film is propaganda doesn't devalue it; Battleship Pokemtin and Triumph of the Will, anyone?). 2016 is an evaluation of the President and where he came from, what he is doing, and what he may very well accomplish by the end of his second term Presidency should he (and he has) be reelected.

But that's not my statement. Here's my statement:

Fahrenheit 9/11 was made by a cynical hack and j@(k@2$ with a loathing hatred of America and what it stands for, and--like the rest of Michael Moore's bibliography--exploits the emotions of the fickle and the tragedies of others to further his agenda while simultaneously trying to implant his own insensitive and morally and intellectually corrupt jokes. He's a populist on par with the titular character from Mr. Smith Goes to Washington. Robot Chicken's spoofs of the man capture everything bad about him to a tee.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:44:35 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
And I'm agreeing with my previous comment, especially since I'm a bit behind on my Statements.

And I'm going to disagree with Baker's previous comment to a certain extent. He's got Hitchcock down to a tee in being able to remake his previous film and make it better, but it's the only instance in which he did. As to John Ford, the number of good films under his belt are too few and far between. They essentially come down to the best of his Westerns with John Wayne--in his case, The Searchers leads the pack.

Statement: The Men in Black is Will Smith's best and most enjoyable film to date.

Posted on Nov 11, 2012 6:46:55 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 11, 2012 7:33:48 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:48:18 PM PST
Reluctantly agreed. Though he has had multiple other enjoyable films and performances.

Statement: Raging Bull is Scorsese's best picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:56:01 PM PST
Strongly disagree. I thought 'Raging Bull' was Scorsese's first giant misstep.

Statement: Montgomery Clift was a better actor than Marlon Brando.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 6:57:56 PM PST
Re: "As to John Ford, the number of good films under his belt are too few and far between"

That's easy for you to say, since you've only seen a fraction of them.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 11, 2012 11:16:40 PM PST
I probably haven't seen enough of Clift to have a firm opinion on that one. What I will say is the Clift I have seen has been mighty impressive; as impressive as any Brando I've seen. I've yet to see a Clift where he goes right out on the edge like Brando (any suggestions?).

Statement: Battle Royale has much in common with The Breakfast Club.

Posted on Nov 12, 2012 5:41:13 PM PST
Couldn't agree more, Toby. Students brought together to fend for themselves, having to combat each others personalities - and their own shortcomings. The coming together of students to combat the authority figure. Genius! ;)

Statement: 'I Was a Teenage Werewolf' is a great title for a film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 5:59:40 PM PST
Agree. It's a perfect metaphor for growing up with uncontrollable natural urges that are brought on by witnessing a full moon.
More wit and imagination in that title alone that the whole 'Twilight' fiasco.

Statement: There aren't enough horror movies anymore with Hookers in the title... 'Vampire Hookers', 'Hookers in a Haunted House', 'Frankenhooker', 'Hollywood Chainsaw Hookers', 'Cannibal Hookers'...where have all the good horror-hooker titles gone?!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:01:52 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Agree. Bring on the hookers!

Statement: To keep with the horror theme. There aren't enough horror movies involving chainsaw wielding maniacs being made these days.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 6:22:46 PM PST
Disagree. Chainsaws are played out, man. I say bring on the whipper-snippers!

Statement: In The Loop is one of the funniest films of the last five years.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 3:37:16 PM PST
I agree it must be that way for you. I'm going to have to pull out the "neutral" card, since I thought it was funny-occasional-grins, rather than funny-explode-in-orgasmic-laughter.

Statement: Comedy, especially satire, may be the most personal genre which effects every individual in a unique way, yet the irony is that it's a genre that benefits most from the communal viewing experience.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:16:53 PM PST
Agreed.

Statement: Blade Runner is an excellent science fiction film, and arguably Ridley Scott's best film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:21:00 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Disagree.

Statement:

Alien was ahead of its time and a classic movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:30:11 PM PST
Disagree with Point A. Agree with Point B.

Statement: Alfred Hitchcock thinks cops are bumbling and useless, and thinks it better if we take the law into our own hands.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:32:18 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Dissagree. Case in point Dial M for Murder.

Statement: Hot Fuzz is a highly underrated film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:39:56 PM PST
Disagree. 'Hot Fuzz' is deservedly highly rated already.

Statement: 'The Edge' is one of the most re-watchable adventure films, and probably Anthony Hopkins's best performance in an American film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:40:00 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 13, 2012 4:43:06 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:41:35 PM PST
Have you seen 'The Edge', T? I'm relying on you!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 4:41:35 PM PST
Totally agree. On all fronts.

Statement: The River Wild is an eminently re-watchable adventure film, and Meryl Streep gives an amazing performance.
‹ Previous 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 16 ... 21 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions