Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 201-225 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:38:19 PM PST
I wonder, will any election hangover hurt the box-office returns of Lincoln, or will the last echoed strains of 'God Bless America' inspire more folk to see it?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:39:35 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Agree. That was very well put.

Statment: Beer League though not the greatest flick in the world, was still a very underrated flick.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:48:31 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 7:52:33 PM PST
Hikari says:
PoM: Exactly.

I'd be curious to know how many people actually saw "There Will Be Blood" at the movies vs. how many watched the DVD after his win in order to sound more knowledgeable at the post-Oscars office watercooler. The same thing will no doubt happen with Lincoln.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 7:50:19 PM PST
H: I'm not sure since the name "Steven Spielberg" is more popular with modern audiences than "Paul Thomas Anderson".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:06:38 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Sloany
"Lincoln" will not be damaged by lingering post-election hangover. Abraham Lincoln is elevated into a plane beyond cynicism in this country (other than the cranky pseudo-scholarly few who insist they have conclusive evidence that this father of four sons was actually gay). In polls, he is consistently ranked #1 greatest American president. George Washington is second. Lincoln was not so revered in his own time and was accused of cooking and eating Southern babies and being the Devil incarnate by the Confederacy. He was only human, and had flaws like any man, but he has become something of a Christlike figure to succeeding generations of Americans, this man of many sorrows, acquainted with grief. Other presidents have governed during wartime, but Lincoln stands alone as the only President to lead a fractured nation during a civil war. As such he had unique burdens. Unlike the sons of privilege and Ivy League learning that constituted our forefathers, mostly, Lincoln was truly a self-made man, from the humblest of beginnings, and thus a quintessential American. This film, and its star have a big load to carry. It's the kind of movie that people will feel they 'ought' to see for the subject matter, but may opt to spend their $9.50 on The Hobbit on the screen next door instead. I think Dan will be head and shoulders above the Oscar field, just like Abe was head and shoulders above other men--quite literally. The only thing that might prevent his win is a backlash against giving him a third statue. Has anybody ever won THREE?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:37:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 10:37:37 PM PST
@h
Yeah, he's kinda like our Ned Kelly. Tall, bearded, campaigner for equal rights, with a giant sized statue in his honour.

https://www.google.com.au/search?q=ned+kelly+statue+images&hl=en&client=firefox-beta&hs=9XQ&rls=org.mozilla:en-US:official&prmd=imvnso&tbm=isch&tbo=u&source=univ&sa=X&ei=XvSdUMCiGMjWrQesh4CoAw&ved=0CCAQsAQ&biw=1024&bih=649

"Has anybody ever won THREE?"

I'm not sure. I know of a bunch who have won two Best Actor gongs, but can't think of any male actor to win three. As to the ladies, I think Katharine Hepburn has 4.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 10:44:06 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
RE: I'm not sure. I know of a bunch who have won two Best Actor gongs, but can't think of any male actor to win three. As to the ladies, I think Katharine Hepburn has 4.

No actor as ever won best actor 3 times but Walter Brennan did win three Best Supporting Actor awards and Jack Nicholson won two for lead, and one as a supporting actor.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:34:38 AM PST
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 8:23:29 AM PST
AJA says:
Re: Hot Fuzz. It's a thoroughly enjoyable movie, sharply scripted and well acted. I guess that's one reason I was disappointed in Simon Pegg's followup, Paul. It's a decent comedy, but I had such high expectations based on Hot Fuzz that I felt let down.

Statement: Akira Kurosawa never made a good color film.
Some may point to Kagemusha or Ran to refute my statement, but I don't think those were good films. Both may look good visually, but the scripts needed tightening, the pacing was sluggish, and a number of the films' actors had far better performances in other movies. Kurosawa the auteur got in the way of Kurosawa the storyteller.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:45:30 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: "Statement: Akira Kurosawa never made a good color film."

Disagree to the max: Kurosawa's 'Dodes'Ka-den' and 'Dersu Uzala' are not only two of his greatest movies, they are on my shortlist for the best of the 1970s.
'Kagemusha', 'Ran', and 'Dreams' are all very good and worth seeing at least once.
I agree he did slow down as a storyteller is favor of spectacle. By his first two are masterworks and balanced it out remarkably well. 'Kagemusha' is a visual masterpiece, although it does indeed lack in the story department.
And his earlier variant on King Lear, 'I Live in Fear', is a lot more lively and interesting than 'Ran', visual spenders aside.

STATEMENT: 'You would need to have a heart of stone* not to laugh at the death of E.T.: The Extra-Terrestrial' (apologies, Oscar Wilde).

[* or a head full of rocks]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 5:52:59 PM PST
Neutral. I'd have to see it again, haven't seen it in quite some time.

Statement: Singin' in the Rain is in the top five best films of the 1950s.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:58:32 PM PST
Pom: Agreed. If anything, that underrates it.

Statement: The Holy Roman Empire was neither holy, nor Roman, nor an Empire. Discuss, citing the origin of the quote.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:02:08 PM PST
Agreed. Although please William, try to stick to movies. I made that clear on the first page.

Statement: It is utterly impossible to say what the best song in Singin' in the Rain is (though Good Mornin' looks like my favorite).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:04:31 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Agreed.

Statement: The Replacements is one of the best football movies ever made.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:08:45 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Disagree. I'm not a football fan, but 'The Replacements' might be among the worst I've seen. I loved Gene Hackman and Brooke Langton in it, that's about it.

Statement: 'Rudy' is a darn good movie, especially in the acting department.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:10:53 PM PST
Agreed. Sean Astin gave one helluva performance.

Statement: Unless you're completely cynical, it's impossible to dislike Singin' in the Rain.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:14:26 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Agree. Unless one is Thomas A. Stith, it's impossible to regard 'Singin' in the Rain' as anything but a delightful entertainment.

Statement: There hasn't been a really good Hollywood musical since 'Little Shop of Horrors' (1986).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:16:54 PM PST
Agreed.

Statement: General Turgidson from Dr. Strangelove is the funniest character in any of Kubrick's films.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:19:14 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
Agreed.

Statement: The  most entertaining Steve Buscemi character is Mr. Pink.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:21:07 PM PST
Disagreed. Carl Showalter for the win.

Statement: Shrek is the most overrated animated movie of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:23:53 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Agreed:

Statement:

Pinocchio is the best animated film of all time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:26:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 6:26:57 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: 'Pinocchio' being the best.
Agree. Close enough, anyway.

Statement: There aren't enough movies made about haunted cheese wedges.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:29:10 PM PST
Agreed, though I never gave much thought to them. Don't know why.

Statement: The Bridge on the River Kwai has Alec Guinness' best performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:29:18 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
"haunted cheese wedges"... um, what did I miss?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 6:30:06 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
I was wondering the same thing.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions