Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your favorite Bill Murray movie is... ?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-24 of 24 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 14, 2013 9:27:26 AM PST
Originally I fell in love with Bill Murray because of `Stripes'. However my all time favorite is definitely `Ghostbusters'. No matter how many times I watch that movie, it still entertains me.

"This city is headed for a disaster of biblical proportions." ... "Human sacrifice, dogs and cats living together... mass hysteria!"

Which one is your favorite?

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:36:47 AM PST
Carl Spackler from Caddyshack is my favorite character from him. But his role as Dr. Peter Venkman in Ghostbusters is really good also.

Carl Spackler: "Cinderella story. Outta nowhere. A former greenskeeper, now, about to become the Masters champion. It looks like a mirac... It's in the hole! It's in the hole! It's in the hole!"

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 10:47:43 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 15, 2013 9:47:34 AM PST
Hikari says:
Groundhog Day
Runner-up: What About Bob?
Honorable Mention: Lost in Translation
----
I watched 'Scrooged' again this past holiday season, and though The Ghost of Christmas Present (Carol Kane) is as funny as I remembered, and the bits with Karen Allen were good, the rest of it feels like Bill Murray parodying himself. Was that the point? A lot of the script feels improvised, especially that last long-winded speech at the end, live on the air by Frank Cross. Bill is rambling, breathless, sounds like he's spinning his wheels as fast as he can because the whole thing is extemp. Probably was. It goes on too long and he runs out of gas.

These two early '90s ones I mentioned above are better. 'Scrooged' plays for me now like an SNL bit that goes on for 90 minutes too long.

For a top later performance--"Lost in Translation". I'm not a fan of Sofia Coppola's exercise as a whole, but Bill's performance is worth a view. When I think what he might have been able to do with an actual script, as opposed to making it up as he went . . ."Groundhog Day" is an example of what happens with a thoughful script perfectly tailored to its leading man. One of the top comedies ever made, in my opinion.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 11:23:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 3:38:15 PM PST
RichieV says:
The Razors Edge (I know, there's a classic but this one is great as well)

Meatballs (Silly, makes me laugh and can't help pulling for Rudy the Wabbit in the end)

The great thing about Bill Murray is he has made quite a few movies I have truly enjoyed: Where the Buffalo Roam, Scrooged, Rushmore, The man who knew too little, Mad Dog and Glory as well as the ones that are the staple of his resume'.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 2:09:40 PM PST
Ouch, that's hard.

I might have to go with his cameo in Little Shop of Horrors. Yes. He was that funny.

But I also love Ghostbusters, Groundhog Day, and Trading Places.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:18:25 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 2:20:17 PM PST
Hikari says:
I'd forgotten about The Razor's Edge (1984).

I don't think I can rate Bill's performance there as more memorable than the comedies he's better known for. His character, Larry Darrell, mostly reacts to events as opposed to being a really dynamic protaganist.

That movie died at the box office. Unjustly, I think, but it was a gamble to make a big studio picture from a classic of 20th century literature and expect it to be embraced madly by movie audiences. That is more a failing of the audiences than of the material or the actors.

I read"The Razor's Edge" by Somerset Maugham during a very impressionable period in my life, and still now, I'd rate it as probably my favorite novel. It's largely an interior journey of self-discovery by our hero, and those kinds of stories are incredibly hard to translate to film. I was as shocked as anyone to see Bill in this--at this point, he was only known from Saturday Night Live sketch comedy and movies like "Meatballs", "Caddyshack" and "Stripes". His very best comic work was still ahead of him . . and nobody expected to see him in a straight drama like this. He served notice that Bill Murray, the actor, was not merely the overgrown goofball that his previous roles had prepared us for, but had a depth that nobody knew about.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:47:50 PM PST
I don't recall Bill in `Trading Places'. Are you perhaps thinking of Dan Aykroyd? Which in my opinion, `Trading Places' was Dan's BEST movie.

Did anyone else enjoy `Quick Change'? Or am I alone with that guilty pleasure?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:53:30 PM PST
ARGGHHHHHH!!!!!

Muppets has been away for far too long...

But hey, again, we forgot Moonrise Kingdom!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 2:58:05 PM PST
"Muppets has been away for far too long..."

YES! Yes you have! Bad Muppets... no MLT sandwich for you!

While I enjoyed Moonrise Kingdom, I don't think I would put it in my top 5 Bill. Do you disagree?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:02:24 PM PST
That's fine. I'm more of a steak person anyway :)

I'm juggling it around. Of course I wouldn't put it as high as the other three, but I did like it a lot.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:04:38 PM PST
Ah, the King. Always hard to pick a fave. I'll go with Comedy>Dramedy>Drama, so, Groundhog Day>Rushmore>Broken Flowers.
This could easily be reversed, or all together as one perfect package.
The man is a genius, and I love him, and I want to marry him. I want to cover his body in melted chocolate and package him, for he is sweet, sweet candy.

Groundhog Day
"This is pitiful. A thousand people freezing their butts off waiting to worship a rat."

Rushmore
"You guys have it real easy. I never had it like this where I grew up. But I send my kids here because the fact is you go to one of the best schools in the country: Rushmore. Now, for some of you it doesn't matter. You were born rich and you're going to stay rich. But here's my advice to the rest of you: Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down."

Broken Flowers
"I'm a stalker in a Taurus."

The King is still alive. Long Live the King!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:08:32 PM PST
Em: Did anyone else enjoy `Quick Change'? Or am I alone with that guilty pleasure?

You are not alone. I reckon I've seen it maybe 5 times now - even though it is one of the few Murray films I don't own - and will watch it again...and again...and again.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:28:33 PM PST
Steak > Mutton = Blasphemy

Ok I think I have my top 5 worked out to be `Ghostbusters', `Scrooged', `Groundhog Day', `Stripes', and `Rushmore'.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:29:03 PM PST
"I want to cover his body in melted chocolate and package him, for he is sweet, sweet candy."

Hahahahaha! Oh, I am never going to look at the King the same way again.

Yesterday my best friend said Ethan Coen was writing a screenplay for `Ghostbusters III'. Um but it's actually Etan Cohen. Stupid friend for getting my hopes up!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:29:57 PM PST
No. You meant to say "Inconceivable!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 3:31:32 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 14, 2013 3:36:26 PM PST
Ethan penning Ghostbusters III? Wonder what that would entail...

I think Ray could easily be played by the Dude.

Actually no. Venkman's played by the Dude, and Ray's played by Walter. I think Barton Fink could be Egon.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 4:15:41 PM PST
People seem to be answering as if they were not choosing their favorite movie which had Bill Murray in the cast, but were instead choosing their favorite Bill Murray performace. And so it is with me. My favorite Bill Murray performances are from "Groundhog Day" and "What About Bob?" He has been in a number of fine films, starring or featured, but when I think of Bill Murray, these are the ones that immediately come to mind. Another instance of an actor so dominating the character that you have to believe it was written just for him and you can't imagine another actor playing the part. I felt that way about Brando in "Streetcar Named Desire" and Paul Newman in "The Hustler," and while Murray's performances may not be in that class, they were still great comedic performances. And, of course, his performace in "Groundhog Day" wasn't just comedic. Being in a film which was actually about something, Murray's acting chops were well displayed with the evolution of Phil the Reporter.

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 4:41:17 PM PST
mack says:
I liked Groundhog day!!!!!!

Posted on Jan 14, 2013 5:22:33 PM PST
It's hard to pick a favorite, but I'd probably go with Ghostbusters or Groundhog Day.

Carol Kane was the Ghost of Christmas Present in Scrooged. She also played "Simka" in Taxi and Billy Crystal's wife in "The Princess Bride." Madeline Kahn was in Blazing Saddles, Young Frankenstein, and a number of other Mel Brooks movies.

One of my favorite scenes of Bill Murray was a deleted scene from "Ed Wood" where he sadly sings "Que Sera Sera" with a mariachi band in a meat locker full of hanging carcasses.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 5:23:41 PM PST
"Flores! Flores por los muertos!"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 14, 2013 6:24:25 PM PST
MarcTheKing says:
chhhwhere 2? ccccwhere 2??

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 9:46:36 AM PST
Hikari says:
@Cilantron
Whoops! You're right. I was thinking Carol Kane but my fingers, in a bout of dyslexia, rebelled and typed Madeleine Kahn
Duly corrected.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 9:54:53 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
Zombieland

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 11:47:17 AM PST
S. Stalcup says:
Ed Wood
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  12
Total posts:  24
Initial post:  Jan 14, 2013
Latest post:  Jan 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions