Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1276-1300 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 30, 2012 2:44:23 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Could "A Little Night Music" be turned into a plausible film? There is something about Sondheim's musicals that suggest they can't be translated to film very easily. Can you imagine "Follies", "Company", or "Sunday in the Park with George" as films?

We won't even discuss the abysmal Liz Taylor version.

Disclosure: I've never seen " Sweeney Todd" and I gather it is the exception.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 3:38:22 PM PST
CM: Actually, it's a good piece of work by Sondheim, based on a very entertaining film by Bergman. Not everything he did was gloomy.

Posted on Nov 30, 2012 3:43:17 PM PST
Cav: Sweeney Todd is a good film--actually, there is the Burton film, and a pretty good film of the stage version.

Sunday in the Park With George is entirely of the stage; its crowning moment (the end of Act I) is purely theatrical and I cannot see it as cinematic. As to the others--well, not optimal, but possible. If you could make a fairly decent film from Cabaret (always excepting La Minnelli), there is always hope.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 30, 2012 5:10:55 PM PST
C McGhee says:
William A. Smith- Not everything he did was gloomy.

Yet his name is synonymous with gloom & it's what I expect when I see his name. I make room for his gloom & doom, sort of like letting him carry it for me. The Seventh Seal is a joy to watch even if that is an oxymoron.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 4:34:53 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Watched "Hugo" yesterday afternoon. Had a head-ache, not feeling well at all, and wanted something fairly relaxing to watch--and watching this film turned out to be what I needed. I would give it 7 or even 8 of ten, simply because I enjoyed it that much. I believed had I been able to watch this movie when I was 9 or 10 and my imagination in full flow, I would have loved this film.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 4:53:07 AM PST
LK: In my opinion, Scorsese's best since Goodfellas.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:39:57 AM PST
The Third Man

The prime example of how to write a film noir. Orson Welles with his perpetually bastardizing grin is the stuff of legends.

10/10

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:24:30 AM PST
CM: There are at least four Bergman films--two among his best--that are in their ways rather jolly: The Magician, Smiles of a Summer Night, Fanny and Alexander, and The Magic Flute. They are a useful corrective to some of his gloomiest, like Hour of the Wolf and Winter Light--and frankly are better films. There are others, too, that fall in the middle, like Wild Strawberries.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:44:48 AM PST
J. Baker says:
Ingmar Bergman's funniest movies were 'Secrets of Women', 'Smiles of a Summer Night' and 'A Lesson in Love'. 'The Face (Magician)' really is more an 'in' joke comedy. I don't get half of it. Worth seeing at least once.
The one to really stay far away from is the comedy he made after 'The Silence', called 'All These Women'. It's close to the opposite of 'The Silence' in tone and overall quality. I think 'The Silence' is Bergman's most interesting and perfectly crafted movie. Buyer beware of Bergman comedies.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:00:25 AM PST
JB: Am I to take it that you are not fond of Fanny and Alexander or The Magic Flute?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:06:31 AM PST
J. Baker says:
I like both. Not head over heel. The only top-quality Bergman I've seen past the mid-'60s was 'Scenes from a Marriage'. I'm guessing you might not like that any better than I liked 'The Magic Flute'?

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 8:15:42 AM PST
JB: Let me just say that I would hold either Fanny and Alexander or The Magic Flute in higher regard than Scenes from a Marriage. I cannot say this of many directors, but one really has to take just about anything Bergman directed seriously. One does not, however, have to like them all equally.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:27:35 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
POM: I watched Goodfellas when it originally came out and like Scorsese' other gangster movies, I was absorbed by it. But at the end I just felt kind of empty--like I had watched a good football game that I really didn't care who one. I won't say I was badly disappointed, but more deflated I guess.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:18:22 AM PST
LK: There is a very wide variety of opinion about Scorsese on this board. Goodfellas is a personal favorite--I think it's one of his very best. There is a sequence towards the end of the film when Ray Liotta is going about his business entirely coked up that is one of the very best thinks Scorsese has ever done.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 9:21:41 AM PST
Kacee says:
I love Ray Liotta :)))))))

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 11:59:19 AM PST
stevign says:
Excellent actor and one of my favs. Did you ever see Dominick and Eugene (1988)? I believe it was his 2nd movie role. The following year he would be in Field of Dreams. By the way, have you seen him in NARC? Very heavy drama, he and Jason Patric were terrific.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uWIH-_GmHzo

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 12:04:00 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 1, 2012 12:04:32 PM PST
Hikari says:
Dominick and Eugene broke my heart. Tom Hulce demonstrates a completely different side than "Amadeus". Adding an extra layer for me--growing up an hour from Pittsburgh.

There must be a curse associated with snagging an Oscar nomination for Best Actor in one's first major film role. He never had an equivilent role again. His turn as Mozart should have by rights made him a huge star, but he's been virtually unheard from since.

He followed up Dominick and Eugene with "Parenthood" (1989). Come to think of it, that may have been the career killer.

Apparently Tom gets a lot of theatre work and has his own company. I hope he's happy. Hollywood didn't precisely work out for him.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 12:36:43 PM PST
H: I do so wish that you hadn't mentioned Parenthood. High on my personal list of irredeemably sentimental, and dare I say, completely idiotic films. Not many films have no redeeming features whatsoever. Parenthood is one of them.

The writing team of Mandel and Ganz have inflicted a frightening number of truly nauseating screenplays on an unsuspecting public.

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 5:30:18 PM PST
Open Range (Two-Disc Collector's Edition) Teriffic movie with Kevin Costner playing sidekick to Robert Duvall. Fine performances by both Story line leaves credibility a little short in expecting only two drovers and a young kid to actually manage a herd of cattle. Who cares? The great shoot out war in the last part of the film has memorable scenes that keep you cheering for the under dogs. I'm a very poor reviewer, but this Western puts all my prior favorites to shame. This is a classic and should be in everyone's library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:51:22 PM PST
C McGhee says:
William A. Smith- four Bergman films

I own Fanny & Alexander & found it to be far to farfetched & a bit of a disappointment. High expectations probably had an effect there. In fact it put me off of trying Wild Strawberries. I had considered buying Wild Strawberries instead of Fanny & Alexander & wished I had after seeing F&A.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 5:57:50 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
CM - High expectations probably had an effect there.

I came late to Bergman. No conscious effort, it just happened that way. I'd heard the talk (a master!), so meant to get there one day. When I finally did, I think the expectations effected my experience, thinking afterwards, "That wasn't so amazing". The effect continued, until either the film 'Wild Strawberries' finally lived up to the expectations, or I somehow managed to drop those expectations (unlikely, as I kept thinking eventually I'll catch a masterpiece and see what all the fuss was about).

In other words, I really enjoyed 'Wild Strawberries'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:05:45 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Sloan: BZ

Wish you had chosen Brand Soobian instead. Wild Strawberries might wind up a rental for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 6:55:19 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
CM - Wild Strawberries might wind up a rental for me.

Wise decision. Why gamble when you can rent for a quarter of the cost? Not to mention those blind-buys gone-bad just sit on the shelf, mocking you and subjecting you to buyers remorse. I can hear my copies of the Matrix sequels laughing at me as I type!

Posted on Dec 1, 2012 7:22:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 2:39:27 AM PST
Oz le Fou says:
The last film I watched was the Edward James Olmos directed American Me, which hits you square between the eyes before an image has even appeared: "Nobody talking while I'm talking fellas, so shut the ____ up!". Strong, confronting, and wasting not a lick of time.

The film follows a fairly classic format - the look back through the years, giving us the tip early that remorse runs a fair swathe through the ensuing story. All the recreations of days of yore are first rate, from costume, set design, music..the lot. The leisure at which the story is told helps here, as we're not jolted around as we skip from year to year.

Assimilation versus superiority of the ruling class is looked at. The superiority versus a will not ever willing to submit, leading to the oft repeated strain of forced shame, of esteem crushing, of a rebel spirit that eats within due to its need to rebel. Really a very honest film, unafraid to look at all the causes, not laying blame at any one sides feet.

One of the films true highlights is the narration; a mix of stark content and poetry as spoken by Olmos' Santana. Another highlight is Olmos himself: an outstanding portrayal of a man who knows nothing but the power struggle behind bars; who soon learns the power of fear, the warped quest for respect bequeathed by generations before.

A brutal film, inside and outside, with a fittingly brutal finale....but really, it never ends.
7.5/10

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 7:34:16 PM PST
stevign says:
I would give it an easy 9/10.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  199
Total posts:  9887
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 13 customers

Search Customer Discussions