Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 4459 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 3:07:14 PM PDT
Goal Hum says:
give it a chance. the series makes its way after the episode 4 or 5. I loved the chemistry between Mireille Enos and Joel Kinnaman.
The naked woman ( we didn't see any naked woman stricto sensu by the way) is just the tree that hides a huge forest of corruption and political cynicism

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 8, 2014 1:45:37 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
I started watching "The Killing" but was put off by the dreariness of the whole business. I know this mopey Scandinavian-inspired gloom is all the rage in the mystery biz, but I'm tired of it. Plus, the starter is the obligatory dead naked woman. It's such a cliche. Without dead naked women, could C.S.I, Criminal Minds and all their descendants manage?

I'd put Breaking Bad in number one, except for maybe the last season and a half, which went downhill like a runaway train full of Heisenberg meth.

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 11:19:26 AM PDT
Goal Hum says:
Top 10 tv series:

1- Game of thrones
2- Breaking bad
3- Dexter
4- Deadwood
5- The Invaders ( Roy Thinnes)
6- Firefly
7- The killing
8- Downton Abbey
9- Viking
10- Mike Hammer

Posted on Jul 8, 2014 12:53:38 AM PDT
Top 10 Fox TV Series

1. The Simpsons
2. Family Guy
3. Married With Children
4. The X Files
5. 24
6. Millenium
7. That 70s Show
8. Futurama
9. In Living Color
10. Cops

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 4, 2014 11:07:43 PM PDT
WAS: Another interesting pick once upon a time to tackle the Alice books probably would have been Chuck Jones. But alas, Walt Disney got to it first, and because The Phantom Tollbooth (another underrated and great film) was all but forgotten when it first came out, he never made another feature length film. Of course, he did one or two Robin Hood-related short films with Daffy and Bugs that predate the Disney animated version as well, but I wouldn't exactly credit them as genuine adaptations so much as spoofs (heck, Robin Hood as played by Errol Flynn doesn't even appear until the end of the Bugs Bunny one). But at least they were hilarious.

Another set of works that he did that, from what I can gather, were much more enjoyable was some of the short stories in The Jungle Book. Heck, he did direct a rather enjoyable Rikki Tikki Tavvy if I do say so myself.

Posted on Jul 4, 2014 11:30:27 AM PDT
Gordo: I too would have thought that Tim Burton was the man for doing a great Alice film. I'd have to give some thought as to who could, or could have done, justice to the Alice books, --you would have to make one film for each, since they are quite different. The elements that make them great--remarkable visual imagery; a text full of puns, much verbal dexterity, and a profound insight in the philosophy of language and meaning; dream logic; games; mathematics--come together in a way that is quite unique.

Perhaps it is interesting to speculate what Bunuel might have done.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 3, 2014 5:28:40 PM PDT
WAS: I can definitely tell that most of the fault came from Linda Woolvertein, and it shows coming from a woman who only co-wrote one film without a single feminist stint in any way, shape or form. Guess what other film she recently worked on (surprisingly enough, she wasn't involved with Frozen)? That's right! Maleficent! And I'm going to tell you this right now: Even if I did see Neighbors, or Blended, or even planned on seeing the new Ninja Turtles movie among many others, they'd all be hard-pressed to beat Maleficent for worst movie of the year. And that's a tall order since I essentially announced it on the spot without having to see a single frame of such dreck (Maleficent or the others mentioned).

SPOILER ALERT (then again, I'm doing humanity a favor spoiling this movie): This isn't Sleeping Beauty given the Wicked Treatment! This is Sleeping Beauty given the Twilight treatment, and having Maleficent instead be a good guy who lives happily ever after. The only thing missing is the Twilight-esque romance between Aurora and the titular character (and even then, it appears that lesbianism and feminism don't exactly get along).

As for the question, who could possibly write/produce/direct a great Alice film? There may be someone out there who could handle it, but the most likely of picks may have came with Tim Burton, and fell flat as a result.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 2:05:04 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
The best treatment of Alice was done by Gracie Slick and the Jefferson Airplane in "White Rabbit". Just a mild opinion.

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 1:09:32 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
Who do you think might be able to produce/write/direct
a great film treatment of "Alice..."?

Posted on Jul 3, 2014 1:02:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 4, 2014 11:22:51 AM PDT
LC: There were passable moments in Alice, but overall, it was an abomination. Yes, I can say that I absolutely hated it, as a vulgarization of one of the great works of literature, and one which has never, as yet, gotten a great film treatment. I hated it in the way that I hate few other films--AI and It's A Wonderful Life come to mind.

And that's all I really can say. How the filmmaker who made Big Fish could make such a stinker is quite beyond me.

Posted on Jul 2, 2014 10:52:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 2, 2014 10:53:23 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
I think a more fitting title for "Alice..." would've been "Return To Wonderland",
since it's established in the film that she's been there before.
I didn't hate the movie, but, except for a semi-animated Helena Bonham Carter as the Queen,
it was rather forgettable.

I don't know that you necessarily ever get too old to play the misfit,
but it can get trickier to find just the right kind of misfit to play.
Yes, Depp does seem to depend on make-up, costumes & such things a lot for his roles,
but I don't know that that's a bad thing. Still, it would be interesting to see him
meet the challenge of playing a less...um...enhanced? character & see what he can do with that.

I always considered the "Pirates..." films a sort of self-parody, really.
How much can you really expect from a movie based on a theme park ride?
A megadose of originality would do both Burton & Depp a world of good,
but I guess it remains to be seen whether they're out of ideas.
I think it would make sense for them to either stay away
from remakes/previously existing characters
or just do something else entirely.
Look what happened to the once brilliant Steve Martin
(reduced to doing a bad Peter Sellers/Clouseau imitation).
You can't always be the best forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 2, 2014 5:17:49 AM PDT
Hikari says:
Yes. Your first sentence summarizes my three paragraphs above. Let's see something else from Johnny . . .an adult role tethered in the real world, where he wears regular clothes and looks recognizably human. Just to see if he can do it. That's my challenge to him. As I said--now that he's 50 years old, the Maladjusted Clown roles are wearing very thin. It's not dignified.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 10:49:16 PM PDT
Goal Hum says:
Yeah, but now he needs to stop. Enough of this Sparrowmania.
Sparrow = Tonto = Mad Hatter = Wonka = you name it

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 1, 2014 4:36:18 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@Laust, our Haiku master of the movie board,

Johnny Depp has, over a 30 year career, established himself as a master of the Eccentric. He takes 'acting' to a whole new level. Some of his stuff is as stylized as the Kabuki theatre. Johnny has been Tim Burton's muse for nearly as long as he's been an actor. Johnny's top performance in my book was a non-Burton role, "From Hell" . . and his second-best for me was a Burton role, in "Sleepy Hollow". Of course, I love Captain Jack Sparrow . . or did, in the first film. As the franchise wears on, every frame of Capt. Jack becomes self-parody.

Johnny is now 50 years old. I wonder what the future is going to bring. The roles that he's most well-known for are those for a young guy. A young man being that goofy and Out There is one thing; when an old geezer does it . .it just verges on into major creepitude . . or sad self-delusion. Take somebody like Bill Nighy--he does the flamboyantly loopy parts (Underworld, Davy Jones) with the Grand Guignol weirdo makeup and costumes . . but he mixes those up with light comedies and solid dramatic roles. He does the gamut. While his face and lanky frame are immediately associated with certain genres . . he defies being put into a box and works across genres equally well.

To me, Depp is something of a one-trick pony. Infamously shy in person, I think he is so reliant on all the external props of acting--the makeup, bizarro costumes and hairstyles and etc.--to create a second skin for him to hide himself behind, I question whether he can really act without all that stuff. 'The Tourist'? I liked him in 'Chocolat', but his part was negligible. As he enters the latter half of his career, is he going to be able to have a career where he isn't playing some kind of oddball, social misfit or cartoon character? Do we really want to see Captain Jack Sparrow at 60? These are just things I wonder.

Posted on Jun 30, 2014 6:17:17 AM PDT
LC: Burton's recent work has been subpar. Alice In Wonderland was flat-out terrible, and Dark Shadows couldn't make up its mind to be a homage, or a parody.

I have high hopes, however, for Big Eyes (If I have the title right). Might be another Ed Wood.

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 1:01:58 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
William A. Smith--

Tragically, I'm afraid that's one of the truest observations you've ever made.
We may be doomed to repeat our own history many times over.

Hikari--

Speaking of history some may not know or may have forgotten
(though you probably realize it),
Depp, even before "21 Jump St.", had already been in his first film,
the original "A Nightmare On Elm Street".
My big disappointment with Depp's recent work has been
the lack of unusual, thought-provoking character roles he was doing early on--
"Edward Scissorhands", "Benny & Joon", "Ed Wood", "Dead Man"...
With the major exception of the excellent "Sweeney Todd",
his work with Burton in recent years has been mediocre at best,
while elsewhere, he's been less than impressive (again. at best).
Whether cute or gross, he still has talent, but doesn't seem to be
inclined to use it for many worthy projects.

Posted on Jun 29, 2014 8:33:24 AM PDT
H: How sad it is that one can note, with some degree of truth, that for many people anything that did not occur in their lifetimes--actually, anything that did not occur in their lifetimes prior to the age of 8 or so--simply does not exist.

Have we really completely lost any sense of history?

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 28, 2014 12:01:57 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Most people born prior to 1980 know this. That's quite a big number. But the fact that the show aired 25 years ago (ie, a whole lifetime for people born after 1980) means that they can get away now with shamelessly ripping off old TV shows for current movies. Never watched the show and certainly am not going to pony up cash to see Jonah Hill in anything . . reprising the Depp role, is he? How droll. 'Cause Johnny was so cute and fit circa 1987. But he and Jonah do share an intial so I guess that's enough.

Johnny was awfully cute in those days. Emphasis on past tense. Now he's just gross.

Posted on Jun 28, 2014 8:59:55 AM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
Wonder how many people know that "21 Jump Street" (the first movie) started out as one of the first TV shows on Fox back in the '80s, making a star out of Johnny Depp--

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NBIcbB4wXk4

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 7:37:57 PM PDT
Top 10 films of 2014 (so far):

1. Grand Budapest Hotel
2. How to Train Your Dragon 2
3. X-Men: Days of Future Past
4. Captain America: The Winter Soldier
5. The Monuments Men (still need to see it in its entirety)
6. 22 Jump Street
7. Noah
8. The Amazing Spider-Man 2
9. The Lego Movie
10.Mr. Peabody & Sherman

Keep in mind, I'm 100% certain the bottom three films will not remain on my list by year's end. After July, it's looking to be a vastly superior year in movies than 2013 was.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 1:30:18 PM PDT
Goal Hum says:
Nobody dares to talk when William is around the block.
You're the big mouth here: http://www.tunivisions.net/images/images_articles_2013/TNV32478ridicule300.jpg

One day, you will end up swallowing bugs.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 1:19:19 PM PDT
SM: Gordo creepy?

What a very nasty thing to say.

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 1:16:42 PM PDT
Incredible, is it not, how our educational system can create complete dolts like Goal Hum who are under the delusion that they actually can think.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 26, 2014 11:15:27 AM PDT
Goal Hum says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=62xShTNJXSw

Posted on Jun 26, 2014 11:08:01 AM PDT
Gordo: GH is just another one of the pests we find here without taste and who can neither think nor write, but, owing to a combination of defective education and, probably, overly indulgent parents, think that they are enormously clever while they live in a basement, eating away the substances of their relatives.

He is of no account.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 179 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  98
Total posts:  4459
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  4 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions