Customer Discussions > Movie forum

George Lucas sells Star Wars and Lucasfilm to Disney? And it's not April Fools Day!!!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-72 of 72 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 8:16:20 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
Mars certainly is a desert planet. Of course, it's also a barren, frozen lifeless rock with almost no atmosphere. So if, for the sake of John Carter, we're going to overlook the temperature and lack of air and populate Mars with various fauna, we're not allowed to hope for a tree or two? Maybe a few cactus? Some sagebrush? What're all these people living on, given the lack of good farming country? Where are the bleeding canals?

As to the leaping about like a jackrabbit on steroids, Mars gravity is a little more than a third of Earth's. Not two or three percent, which is would allow young Mr. Carter to casually leap the half-mile or so illustrated. Even LeBron couldn't do that in .38 G.

I'd also carp that despite John's leaping abilities, everything else on Mars seems to obey Earth gravity, and fall with about the same acceleration you'd see on Earth.But that'd be even nit-pickier. Being faithful to the novel isn't necessarily a good thing, if the novel is bad pulp. I don't blame ERB for not doing hard science fiction. But the whole jumping thing must've looked better on the page, 'cause on screen it looked pretty dumb.

Superman flying.... How does he does that, anyway? No wings for lift, so it's got to be all thrust. But, no propellors, so...jet propulsion? Like a ramjet, in one end and out the other?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 11:46:51 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 4:49:31 PM PDT
Ron says:
"Perhaps too many have taken heart the commonly repeatedly cliche, "The guys who make the trailers should make the movies." Although trailers have them self-changed. In Golden Age Cinema, Trailers often told stories themselves. These days trailers are bunch of scenes from the movie edited together to make it look cool with some narration more to entice than anything."

Sorry to get off topic here...but this is why I can't enjoy watching trailers anymore. They either reveal too much of the movie or, in the case of John Carter, provide insufficient setup of the story and its characters. I used to look forward to the trailers as much as the main feature. Now I purposely show up 10 minutes late just to avoid them.

To paraphrase what mr. critic said: A trailer should be all "setup" and no "delivery".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 12:01:47 PM PDT
GarionOrb says:
"Also, how weird is it going to be to not see & hear the 20th Century logo & fanfare at the beginning of the movie?"

I was thinking this exactly! The logo, and especially the fanfare, is just as much a part of the films as what happens afterwards.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 12:06:47 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 12:08:28 PM PDT
W.T. says:
I think Superman's flight was explained more as a really advanced form of psionic levitation in the mid-eighties when John Byrne revamped the comics. But the way they keep changing definitions of things in the world of comics, who knows these days?

As to John Carter, ERB left a major out for any science weaknesses in explaining what John Carter could or couldn't do on Mars. His Carter was a very exceptional (immortal) being before he ever set foot on Mars. He had lived many, many lifetimes as an elite warrior serving in many different armies in many different times, so he probably already had above-human physical abilities when he was still on earth.

And in thinking back to ERB, there actually were some less bleak locations on his Mars, such as the river valley where much of the second book "The Gods of Mars" takes place. So the precedent did exist for them to show a bit more ecological diversity, I agree.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 1:29:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 2:31:42 PM PDT
Ron says:
Wait, wasn't Superman's original ability ONLY to jump and not fly?! Hence the phrase, "Leap tall buildings in a single bound". Lol

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:21:13 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
D. Larson

The problem with leaving out the jumping in John Carter is that, in the books, it is one of the most important things about him that makes it possible for him to accomplish what he does. The analogy isn't exact but you could no more make a movie about John Carter and leave out the leaping than you could do a movie of Moby Dick and leave out the Pequod and the small whaling boats.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:00:52 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I've only read Prnicess of Mars. The notion of him being immortal was not in that book. The premise of the Barsoom stories is that John Carter has super powers because as he's from Earth just as the original Golden Age Superman could Leap about because he was originally from a planet with higher gravity.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:28:08 PM PDT
Correct. If you have seen the trailer you have seen all the good parts of the movie. You just have to put them in order.

Posted on Nov 6, 2012 10:44:00 AM PST
Alex says:
I don't know about finally getting these releases on Blu-Ray. There is a LOT of Pixar films yet to be released on Blu-Ray (Finding Nemo to be the biggest) they seem to have been re-releasing blu-ray ONLY when doing a 3D version of the film.

I'd love to see some Marvel / Star Wars cross overs, and I'd also like to see Star Wars directed under a much darker tone... I'm thinking Zack Snyder would make an excellent choice, he did the large battle scenes in 300, he is good with setting a tone, (Sucker Punch, Watchmen) and he has worked in that large budget action super-hero genre... (Man of Steel, Watchmen, all of his movies basically). I think it would be a good choice, but a very unlikely one to actually occur.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 6, 2012 12:08:26 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 6, 2012 12:09:09 PM PST
W.T. says:
If you read Princess of Mars, in the very beginning where John Carter introduces himself to the reader, he describes himself as a type of immortal, for lack of a better word. He says this about himself:

"I am a very old man; how old I do not know. Possibly I am a hundred, possibly more; but I cannot tell because I have never aged as other men, nor do I remember any childhood. So far as I can recollect I have always been a man, a man of about thirty. I appear today as I did forty years and more ago, and yet I feel that I cannot go on living forever; that some day I shall die the real death from which there is no resurrection. I do not know why I should fear death, I who have died twice and am still alive; but yet I have the same horror of it as you who have never died, and it is because of this terror of death, I believe, that I am so convinced of my mortality."

It's never really explained exactly WHAT John Carter actually is....

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 10:32:25 AM PST
K. Ramba says:
OH SNAP!!! Hold on to your Kleenex everybody: Quentin Tarantino made it clear that he will NOT direct the next Star Wars movie!

These are the master's words: "I couldn't care less, especially if Disney's going to do it. I'm not interested in the Simon West version of Star Wars."

Damn. Those Disney executives must be devastated - I bet that ol' Quentin was at the very top of their list. (And if you listen closely, you can hear Lord Vader scream "NOOOOOOO!!" from the top of his lungs right now. Well, another 70s movie star who could have had his glorious comeback in a Tarantino flick bites the dust!)

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 4:52:16 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
I can let it be known that I will not be directing the seventh Star Wars film. It seemed important the public knows so there won't be any disappointment.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 7:52:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 10, 2012 8:58:00 PM PST
Ron says:
WHAT!!! You're not directing them, Cavardossi?!?! Well, thaaaaat's just great. What's next? Are C.J. Vasta and Bill going to be on strike like Spielberg during episode 6? Because if that happens, I can't even see the point of making these movies anymore.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 7:56:05 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 10, 2012 8:56:07 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 11:19:04 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
R A

I know, R. Without C.J., Bill, and me there is genuine reason for concern as to how well these films will turn out to be.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 9:40:16 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 12, 2012 9:57:32 AM PST
K. Ramba says:
Hey Cavardossi, you won't be directing it too? Me neither! Geezus, what are the odds? Let's get together at an anonymous group meeting, share our stories about how we are not gonna shoot a Star Wars movie and hug each other - I'll bring some heavy liquor.

;P

PS: I hear that Steven, Quentin, Zack and J. J. will be coming too. Could you provide a big bowl of chocolate flavored hash cookies?

Posted on Mar 31, 2013 8:34:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Mar 31, 2013 8:35:15 PM PDT]

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 5:36:31 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Wow. I haven't seen this thread in forever.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 6:41:53 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
So, is it significant that the thread is back and you're back and this time is really is April Fool's Day?

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 8:00:48 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Somebody else brought it back and then deleted their remark.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 1, 2013 9:32:25 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
Deleting your own remark is like disclaiming your own fart; you might evade the blame, but the aroma lingers on.

Posted on Apr 1, 2013 9:51:30 AM PDT
Ron says:
Truer words were never spoken, D. Truer words...
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  72
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Apr 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions