Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 2376-2400 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 7:42:48 PM PST
I'm sure I'll read about it in the paper tomorrow.

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 7:47:45 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Sloan, five punches landed, Gordo the lonely puppet zero punches landed *Judges score round to Sloan.*

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 8:55:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 13, 2012 10:58:05 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
My Top Ten Horror Hotties

EDITED TO BE A LESS LAZIER ORDER:

1. Asia Argento
2. Kate Beckinsale
3. Melissa George
4. Jennifer Connelly
5. Milla Jovovich
6. Christina Lindberg
7. Salma Hayek
8. Jessica Biel
9. Famke Janssen
10 Sheri Moon Zombie

Posted on Nov 13, 2012 10:10:47 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Jennifer Connelly is too low on that list!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:18:29 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
She is great looking, but the women above her are far better looking, in my opinion. I take it she's your favorite on the list?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:47:25 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: Jennifer Connelly : "favorite on the list?"<

Wellll...yeah. Best actress on the list too, for me. It's purely a personal taste issue, but seeing that Moon Zombie chick so high above her is a little disconcerting.
Kate Beckinsale is maybe the most perfect looking, sorry to say her 'Underworld' persona leaves me cold. It's a shame. She might not even make my top ten of contemporary scream queens for that reason.

If I made a list it would have a lot of older actress like: Daliah Lavi, Maggie Wright, Simone Simon, Soledad Miranda, Edwige Fenech, Eva Bartok, Fay Wray, Claudine Auger, Tuesday Weld, Ingrid Pitt, Barbara Steele, Suzanna Love, Florinda Bolkan, Hazel Court, Jessica Harper, Miriam Hopkins, Barbara Bouchet, Caroline Munro, Mary Woronov, Alida Valli, Catherine Deneuve, and of course, Vampira.
Uh, that's more than ten. I don't think I can whittle it down.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:51:23 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
To be honest, I was a bit lazy on the list and threw out my faves in no particular order. If it were in order, Asia Argento would be much higher and Moon Zombie way lower. As for the best actress on the list, I would say Connelly is right up there with Melissa George.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 10:58:41 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Melissa George is nice. She made that 'Amityville Horror' remake watchable.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:01:45 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
She was good in that flick. She too was really good in that vampire flick 30 days of night.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 7:35:48 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 14, 2012 7:36:14 AM PST
Three great scream queens, in particular, must be recognized:

Barbara Steele, who ornamented so much of Mario Bava;
Hazel Court, who did the same for Roger Corman;
Barbara Crampton, if only for Re-Animator.

Although not technically a scream queen, one ought to add Marisa Mell--very lovely indeed in Danger--Diabolik!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 5:41:10 PM PST
Coincidentally enough, I just put Wolf's Rain on my wish list.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 5:48:50 PM PST
Top Ten Studio Ghibli anime films

1. Howl's Moving Castle
2. Princess Mononoke
3. The Secret World of Arriety
4. Spirited Away
5. Grave of the Fireflies
6. Ponyo
7. Tales of Earthsea
8. Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind
9. Kiki's Delivery Service
10. My Neighbor Totoro

(Except for Spirited Away, I've seen each of these only once, so the list is flexible.)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 6:22:20 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Cilantron: Of all the films on your list, only Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service were the least bit watchable.

My Neighbor Totoro is astonishingly infantile, appealing to a painfully young demographic.

Tales of Earthsea was just plain weird, as was Ponyo (the latter I don't need to address; the Nostalgia Critic reviewed the film in great detail for me).

Princess Mononoke and Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind are similarly idiotic and pretentious; at first, I thought I missed something when I saw Mononoke, but WAS confirmed it for me; the movie is indeed astronomically moronic.

I don't believe I need to explain myself any further what is wrong with Grave of the Fireflies aside to reitterate that banal sentimentality, painfully stupid and selfish decisions, and an exercise of guilt tripping and anti-Americanism all rolled into one does not a good movie make.

Howl's Moving Castle (apparently your favorite film from the studio)? A work of self-centered feminist propaganda with a heavy anti-war stint not found anywhere in its source material. Like The Little Mermaid, Pocahontas, and Hunchback of Notre Dame, it's a complete disrespectful take on the source material and is thus crass and vulgar.

Beyond the shows I've already admitted to liking, I will never know what was the big deal with anime anyways. Pretentious throughout; banal and sentimental in some areas; crass, vulgar and completely witless in others; and filled to the brim with a profound level of moral, ethical and intellectual depravity (again, Evangelion is bad enough to make something like Dogville watchable by comparison, and Wolf's Rain and 99.9% of all of Tomino's works rival Eva in terms of philosophical corruption).

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:31:02 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Now, to close my anime lists, hopefully for good, here's a list of my favorite anime films in no particular order:

Akira
Perfect Blue
Paprika
Spirited Away
Kiki's Delivery Service
Galaxy Express 999
Cowboy Bebop: The Movie
Pikachu's Gotta Dance! (short film)
Pikachu's Vacation (short film)
Ghost in the Shell (okay; a little too weird for my taste, but mildly enjoyable)

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 6:33:10 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: "...just plain weird, as was Ponyo (the latter I don't need to address; the Nostalgia Critic reviewed the film in great detail for me)."

In other words, you're okay with with not using your own eyes and ears to make judgements: not having a mind of your own is no problem for you.

>>"I thought I missed something when I saw Mononoke, but WAS confirmed it for me; the movie is indeed astronomically moronic."<<

No, you both missed much of the qualities from that very good movie. Your reaction's hyperbolically mimetic. Again, mindless.

>>"Pretentious throughout..."<

Not having seen or known enough about an art form, before making sweeping judgements about it, is one sure definition of pretentious.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:02:18 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Baker: ''In other words, you're okay with with not using your own eyes and ears to make judgements: not having a mind of your own is no problem for you.'''

If someone else expressed identical views on a movie as myself, and can go into detail better than I can, what's the point in going into detail as well? The undeniable trait of Miyazaki's films is that every one of his characters seem to be incredibly base and shallow; at least in Spirited Away, the girl was surprised with what was going on, but nobody else seemed to give a crap that their town was completely flooded in Ponyo.

Baker: Please look up WAS's review of Princess Mononoke on IMDb. If you filter the reviews with the lowest scores first, the very first review you see (the one under Buzzerbill) will be his review. And it's not like I'm parroting WAS's preference either because I rented the film once, saw it, and gave it a perplexed look; as if it was one of the dumbest movies I've ever seen. I wasn't going to review it myself because I couldn't make any sense out of it, and then I found out that there was no sense to make anyways.

''Not having seen or known enough about an art form, before making sweeping judgements about it, is one sure definition of pretentious.''

The liberal philosophy that is, ''One cannot judge a book by its cover'' can only go so far. The unrelenting truth of the matter is that almost all anime is indeed pretentious in some way, shape or form. Granted, there are a couple that rarely if ever take themselves seriously and thus aren't really pretentious so much as, perhaps, a trife trivial (Pokemon and Yugioh in particular), but I speak more of the shows and films that take themselves far too seriously. Even Akira, a film I admittedly like, falls victim to pretention as well as, perhaps, joyless ideology.

And frankly, after watching much of Gundam (particularly the Gundam shows with Tomino's involvement), Wolf's Rain, and Evangelion, I have every right to make such judgment calls. All the more the right and intelligence after watching most of Miyazaki's films, and some of the most braindead programs from Shonen Jump. And I'm sure there are plenty of other people who will get behind me in my view of the medium.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 7:54:06 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Re: "The liberal philosophy that is, ''One cannot judge a book by its cover'' can only go so far."

You're confusing liberal philosophy with an axiom of those who are literate, experienced.
Bottom line: if you don't see for yourself, you don't know what you're talking about. It's not so much liberal vs. reactionary as clued-in vs. clueless.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:22:20 PM PST
AJA says:
Gordo: "My Neighbor Totoro is astonishingly infantile, appealing to a painfully young demographic."

Tonari no Totoro is perhaps the most beloved anime in Japan. Akira Kurosawa listed it among his 100 favorite films, a list of which only 10% of the movies were Japanese.

Just because the two protagonists are little girls and the film celebrates childhood innocence does not necessarily make it "astonishingly infantile" or only "appealing to a painfully young demographic." If you're so fond of what professional critics have to say, read what many of them have to say about Totoro; the vast majority would disagree with your opinion.

The vitriol you spew on some of your posts is quite extensive. It must take a lot of effort to work up so much contempt and loathing.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 8:29:07 PM PST
Try listening to his rants on The Little Mermaid sometime.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:02:08 PM PST
Hikari says:
Seconds to "Tonari no totoro". I was living in Japan shortly after its release and saw firsthand how beloved it was there. I had a stuffed totoro once upon a time; don't know where it is now, but the influence of that film was everywhere.

Japan does celebrate the 'kawai' (cute) to an extreme degree, but I wouldn't call a anime featuring a mother dying in a TB asylum either astonishingly infantile or the usual kiddie cartoon fare. Totoro is a classic that transcends ages, much like our Wizard of Oz, and I say that without cynicism--though I have been rather shocked by the scathing ridicule reserved for that film in this community.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:07:29 PM PST
"....though I have been rather shocked by the scathing ridicule reserved for that film in this community."

Who dissed Oz!?! You give me the word, and I'll unleash my flying kangaroos!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:20:50 PM PST
Hikari says:
@Sloan
I hasten to add, the film OZ, not your country.
No worries, mate--you're bonzer.

As for the other thing, yeah, imagine my surprise but there are enough self-appointed critics 'round here that talk about how much Wizard of Oz sucks, you can't really spit without hitting one of 'em. Gone With the Wind, too. I think for 77-year-old films both hold up remarkably well. Cinematic achievements for their time, certainly, whatever else one thinks of the content.

The other day I had great fun watching a Craig Ferguson interview from last December. Ken Branagh dropped by (would not be Sir for a few months yet) and there followed a frankly surreal bit with Ken and Craig doing dueling Aussie accents as they described the Sydney Opera House's architecture as a giant vag*na, or rather a series of 8 layered vag*nas. That's the CraigyFerg effect for you--reduce the world's leading Shakespearian interpreters to this level. The audience liked it. One does not get to hear 'the' Kenneth Branagh talk about lady bits in an Aussie accent every day. Ken's Irish--he knows how to have a good time. Craig was the instigator of course, but Ken played along gamely. What else can one do when one finds oneself trapped 'in a dank basement populated by hoboes in the middle of the night'? Why, fake an Aussie accent of course! I believe the gist was that Sydneyites are ponces for dumping on Brisbane. I think. I was laughing a bit too hard to be sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 10:29:24 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I may have said a negative thing or two about 'The Wizard of Oz' *ducks*....I probably shouldn't have admitted that!

Surrender Dorothy!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XIRN43cVMHI

That's the most Whit Stillman-like scene in a Scorsese movie. No other contenders.

Posted on Nov 14, 2012 11:32:27 PM PST
Keep your eyes to the sky, Jon.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 11:54:43 PM PST
"Wonderful" isn't a word I use much, but it fits when describing 'The Wizard of Oz'. Wonderful, and wonder-filled. It holds up well in my book.

Now that I think about it, I do recall someone saying something about how Dorothy is a small girl and her "crew" are just pedophiles masquerading as lions, and tin-men, and scarecrows...Oh My! Ya gotta wonder about the mind that would think this type of stuff...well, ya don't *gotta*....in fact, best not to think about it at all!

@dumping on Brisbane
Brisbane hates Sydney, and vice versa. Sydney hates Melbourne, and vice versa. But they all come together to rag on Adelaide! We're cool with it, though. We bide our time...sharpen our tools....
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  116
Total posts:  6046
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  1 day ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions