Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 7:46:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 8, 2010 7:48:49 PM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
I think this is the only thing I've ever seen him in, but he was really good in it. He is also in Hot Tub Time Machine and that is one that I really want to see soon.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 7:51:23 PM PST
bella7 says:
Robinson is really good on The Office. I've heard Hot Tub Time Machine was good....silly, but there's nothing wrong with that! : )

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 7:58:51 PM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Now you are making me want to see it even more. The sillier the better, I say. :)

Posted on Dec 8, 2010 8:00:53 PM PST
Skyline

I went and saw "Skyline". I had judged the movie from the promo video and I found it to be a terrible movie (of course that is just my opinion). After the first 20 minutes the movie went downhill all the way.

The ET's looked like fakes and the acting was just as bad. Half-way through the movie I was hoping the female and male who played the leads roles would be eaten and the movie done with. It was really a waste of money.

I had hoped it would be a fun, interesting ET Science Fiction movie and it was not. Bad story line with cut rate theatrics.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:04:02 PM PST
bella7 says:
I heard that, RNR! Sometimes only a silly/dumb movie with do. lol!

PS I've really lucked out on getting internet connection today, therefore I gotten almost NO house cleaning done. Oh well, I'm on vacation.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:11:18 PM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
That's the spirit! Screw the damn housework, prop up your feet, get drunk and party on the internet. Oh, you are going to have a good time tomorrow, Bella, trying to get all that work caught up while nursing a hangover.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:16:06 PM PST
'Twice Upon a Yesterday' was a neglected movie, one of a legion of 'alternative reality' fare, of which 'Run Lola Run' and 'Sliding Doors' were the most popular, and 'There are Days ... and Moons' and 'Smoking / No Smoking' are the seminal precursors of that wave. Sadly, I don't think either of those are available on DVD. They're made by France's best two directors: Claude Lelouch and Alain Resnais.
I remember really liking that 'Twice Upon a Yesterday ' one. I should probably see it again.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:17:26 PM PST
bella7 says:
I'm afraid I'm getting addicted to Amazon...this, after you mentioning that I don't usually get on here everyday. lol
I partly blame you, RNR, because you are so fun to talk with. (I like your new Santa profile pic, also) : )

Do you know of a 12 step program for Amazon discussion addicts??

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:25:53 PM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Aww, You are so sweet, thanks, Bella. Try not to think of it as an addiction, but as a kind of therapy where you get to unleash your inner thoughts, feelings, and deep dark secrets, and also unwind a little and enjoy having some fun with your online family and friends...Okay, you are addicted! What else can I say, you need help, Girl! LOL! Seriously though, I enjoy chatting with you to.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 8, 2010 8:33:17 PM PST
bella7 says:
You're right, this is a good, free forum for: entertainment, therapy, information, humor, creating international goodwill, creativity, and so on.... : )

Posted on Dec 19, 2010 9:12:19 PM PST
Hikari says:
THE CRY OF THE OWL Starring Paddy Considine & Julia Stiles
(3 stars)

The novels of Patricia Highsmith have been turned often into cinema with varying degrees of success: "Strangers on a Train"; "Purple Noon"; "The Talented Mr. Ripley". So I was intrigued by this, a Highsmith story with which I was not familiar. The two lead actors, Paddy Considine & Julia Stiles, share a "Bourne" connection: Julia of course, played 'Nicky' in all three Bourne movies, Considine's best-known role is probably that of the tabloid journalist that gets gunned down in a London train station in an early setpiece in "Bourne Ultimatum". Here, Considine regrettably quashes his native English accent as Robert Forrester, a man who has just gone through a bitter divorce & moves to a small, unnamed town & takes a new job to get away from associations of his ex-wife. Though the nondescript locations are meant to suggest the Midwest (Highsmith set it in Pennsylvania), one can tell by the accents of the supporting actors that it was actually filmed in Canada.

Robert is deeply unhappy & emotionally fragile . . .just prior to the divorce, he'd had a pretty bad mental breakdown, and now he's living alone in a tiny rented house in Nowheresville. On his drive home from work, he comes across Jenny's (Julia Stiles) house, set in a rather remote rural area, and is drawn by the lights on in her rooms & the pretty picture of happy domesticity she presents as she goes about her homely tasks: cooking, having dinner with her boyfriend. Robert is a nightly visitor to Jenny's, and although his motives are not sinister, try explaining that to the young woman when she catches him prying. Despite this unpromising meeting, the two feel a kinship with one another from the start. Jenny is lonely, too, in a smothering relationship with a violent man and as is revealed gradually bit by bit, emotionally fragile herself. In fact, her emotional clinginess soon feels to Robert like stalking, somewhat turning the tables on him. Is the angelic-looking Jenny his Angel of Mercy or a bad omen? As misfortunes begin to pile up, and the hapless yet innocent Robert is in precisely the right place at the wrong time to appear responsible for a string of mysterious deaths, we begin to wonder.

Despite a promising premise, this movie never quite realized its potential. Both lead actors have been far more dynamic in other roles. Considine's nervous, sad-sack low affect is appropriate to his shell-shocked character, but Stiles is almost a nonentity as Jenny, lacking in visual or dynamic energy. Maybe the dreary weather was getting to the actors .. the unrelenting gray palette and monotone line readings certainly got to me. Caroline Dhavernas provides a dash of color as Robert's sadistic ex-wife (ironically named 'Nicky'). The ending is unexpected, which is saying something for a movie that barely held my interest in the getting there. Having not read the Highsmith novel of the same name, I can't say whether it is a faithful adaptation, but it's a bit of a miss.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 6:35:20 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:22 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 8:09:06 AM PST

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 9:52:05 AM PST
bella7 says:
The Fighter 7.5/10

The story starts in 1993 and man, I forgot about how BIG the hair was back then!! lol

This is an underdog movie and I found myself rooting for Micky, who had various obstacles to overcome (mainly his family). I found the fighter Micky, often overshadowed by his outspoken, attention stealing older brother (Christian Bale) and his mother. Supposedly the movie follows the true story closely and Wahlberg's character IS a more quiet/less dramatic person. Wahlberg was believable as a boxer and I know he trained extensively and did his own fight scenes.

If you stay for the closing credits, you will see video of the "real" fighter Micky and his older brother.

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 9:57:07 AM PST
Black Swan

I have heard everyone else say that this movie is awesome. I decided to give it a try because the previews did look very interesting but I was very bored with this movie. Even the little twist at the end was predictable. I was extremely disappointed because I had so much hope for this movie. The acting was very good though. Natalie Portman did an outstanding job playing a deranged ballerina. If you want to see it, wait for it to come to Red Box or Netflix.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 10:02:46 AM PST

Posted on Dec 20, 2010 1:09:50 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:24 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 20, 2010 3:09:01 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 20, 2010 3:11:38 PM PST
Actually, tarek, I haven't seen 'Black Swan' yet.
I was giving counter-reviews to McGhee's claim that it has only received "raves" so far.
If you only pay attention to Rotten Tomatoes ratings, you get a really false sense of what "the critic's are saying". There are some very good critics out there who are never included in the consensus.
Unfortunately, nearly all the "critics" who are included don't deserve to be called critics (Roeper, Travers, Edelstein, etc.)

I plain to see 'Black Swan' soon, even though I don't like Aronofsky much as a director. The only Aronofsky I waited for the video on was 'Pi', because it was his first.
Even though I have many problems with his work, I respect him enough to watch his films as they were meant to be seen.
It helps that I have a theater that I go to that turns a blind eye to my theater-hopping tendencies (!), so I get in cheap and watch a few movies per day (at least I used to, I'm so busy now I can barely watch one per day!).

Since there are a few critics I tend to trust that absolutely loathe 'Black Swan', I'll be going in with much trepidation.

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 7:43:34 AM PST
Jersey Girl says:
The Other Guys 1/5 stars

Will Ferrell,Mark Wahlberg,Michael Keaton
I had read a lot of reviews on Amazon and even though some were negative there were a lot of positive ones. The hubby wanted to see it anyway since it is a comedy so we rented it. About five mins into this movie I realized it was going to be a stinker. Will Farrell goes into a long speech rant (like he was trying to impersonate Vince Vaughns rant in Wedding Crashers but that one was funny and it made sense and had a point) this one did not. It had no reason or rhyme to it. It was like verbal vomit. Then Wahlbergs character gets mad at him and starts yelling a bunch of things that also do not make sense...wow. Might I add that I had a good buzz going and that usually makes comedies better. This just was not funny. Michael Keaton I hope was wearing makeup because he really looked older than his age and was balding. Samuel L Jackson and Dwight "The Rock" Johnson have small cameos in this. From the previews I thought that the two sets of cops would have some sort of comedic rivalry but when they died five mins into the film you realize there was really no point in really even having their characters in the film. Ferrells character is married to Eva Mendes and when he takes Wahlberg to his home and he meets her he in incredulous that she is married to him. That was probably the only time I laughed in the film. He asked her "Who are you?" she replies "His wife". He says, "No,seriously-Who ARE you?" But even that ends up going nowhere as her character is just like Farrells. I would say skip this movie all together. I only stayed with it because at least Wahlberg provided some eye candy and he seemed to be the only person who took his role somewhat seriously. Ferrells Megamind was far superior...

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 8:49:02 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:25 AM PDT]

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 10:37:59 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Aug 13, 2011 7:37:58 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Tron: Legacy

This is a spectacular action movie filled with strange and interesting characters, amazing special effects, and beautiful visuals. The story isn't the most endearing and thought-provoking story that you will find in the movie theaters, but it still holds one's interest well enough to get you through to all the good parts, which are of course the incredible sights and sounds of life inside the "Digital Frontier" of Tron. Still, I thought it was a pretty good story overall, which mostly centered on the love of a father for his son.

Tron is the name of a computer program created by Alan Bradley, played by Bruce Boxleitner, a computer program which was created for use by the computer software company known as Encom International to help keep their companies' virtual world and interests secure and safe from hackers and viruses and the sort. Jeff Bridges stars as Kevin Flynn, a famous computer game programmer who also works at Encom, and who gets trapped inside of a virtual world that he helped to create with popular video games such as Space Paranoids. To the outside world, Kevin Flynn suddenly becomes a missing person who has disappeared without a trace, but inside the virtual world he still lives trapped in for a couple of decades inside the dangerous digital landscape without any way or means to escape. His son, Sam, played by Garrett Hedlund, years later and grown up is now the controlling interest shareholder of Encom, and so off he goes to begin this investigation into the mysterious dissapearance of his father which leads him to his father's old abandoned arcade where he finds a secret underground level which soon begins his journey into the exciting and dangerous digital world of Tron.

Jeff Bridges actually plays 2 characters in this film, and he does an excellent job playing both Kevin Flynn, and his computer program counterpart named Clu, a program he created to help do his bidding inside of the digital world and to also help keep it secure along with the help of the Tron program. Jeff also plays the version of Kevin Flynn of 20 years earlier, as well as the older Kevin Flynn who has been trapped inside of the digital world for two decades by a ruthless program bent on controlling everything that exists inside the cyber realms.

The movie is a sequel to the 1982 movie titled Tron and for anyone who is familiar with that and enjoyed that film will enjoy this new sequel which is even better and grander in scale than the original in every respect. The only major downside to the movie is that the character Tron was not very prevalent in this film and I think could have been used so much more considering the movie's title. But overall the movie delivers in great CGI special effects and stunning visuals, and also has a great soundtrack created by the electronic music duo Daft Punk.

Posted on Dec 21, 2010 10:42:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 21, 2010 10:44:52 AM PST
Hikari says:
SNOW CAKE Starring Alan Rickman & Sigourney Weaver
3 stars

Continuing with my 'wintery' theme in movies lately, I added this small, quirky joint UK-Canada feature to my list. Alan Rickman (whom I adore) is in relatively few films, so he was the main draw here. Sigourney Weaver can be brilliant depending on the material ("Alien"; "Working Girl"), or she can be a collection of patented mannerisms, it all depends. This performance hit somewhere in the middle for me. She plays Linda, an autisitic woman living in a small Canadian town where her eccentricities are well-known & mostly tolerated by neighbors, though the local cab company refuses any more calls to Linda's address. Rickman plays Alec, a sad, private man who we first meet sitting alone at a roadside diner with a book. A vivacious young hitchiker comes in, invites herself to sit at a Alec's table & asks him for a ride. This is Vivienne, Linda's daughter. Alec tells his new passenger that he just got released from prison and says "I just wanted you to be aware that it's the average-looking people you have to be careful of." Before he can reveal more of himself, a careless truck driver rams into them, killing Vivienne instantly. Racked with guilt, Alec makes the journey to see Linda & these two form a very odd couple as he winds up staying at Linda's home for several days to help her with funeral arrangements for her daughter.

Linda is a high-functioning autistic, extremely verbal but held hostage by her various tics, which manifest in obsessions about germs and dirt & continual straightening things around her home. Only a few things give her joy & distract her from her compulsions: 'sparklies'--toys with light & movement; jumping on her backyard trampline & eating snow. She is matter-of-fact about her loss: "I didn't lose her; she's dead," she tells one neighbor. Linda was extremely dependent on her daughter, but any maternal grief she feels has to fight its way out of the layers of her neuroses. In fact, of greatest concern to her is that Alec stick around until Tuesday . .not because the funeral is on Monday, but because Tuesday is garbage day and "I don't do garbage. Vivienne always took care of the garbage."

It's a committed, energetic & completly vanity-free performance by Weaver, with Rickman functioning as the 'neurotypical' representative of the audience. Since he is a deeply broken man who has been isolated from socieity for years, only someone as dysfunctional as Linda could actually make him feel normal again. We've had a long tradition in cinema of 'normal' actors playing characters with intellectual disabilities: Dustin Hoffman as Rain Man; Cliff Robertson as 'Charly'; Mary Stuart Masterson in "Benny & Joon", Hugh Dancy in "Adam", to name just a few. So Weaver's portrait of an autistic woman is as 'realistic' as a normal person can make it, but there will always be that artifice around it . . .maybe it is presumptuous in the extreme for the 'neurotypical' actors and scriptwriters & directors attempting a story about the intellectually-challenged to portray a facsimilie of a disorder they haven't experienced first-hand. Weaver's Linda lacks the endearing sweetness of Dustin Hoffman's Raymond, but perhaps is closer to a 'typical' sufferer of this disorder. Without having experience of autism in one's own life, this is probably as close as the viewer will get to it.

As is typical with most small-budget British and Canadian films, "Snow Cake" is an intimate portrait of only a few lives, not a big splashy canvas. It is quite slow-moving & its tone & production design is muted & realistic. I preferred "Adam" for a story with similar themes, but "Snow Cake" is worth a rental for fans of Rickman & Weaver.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 12:01:03 PM PST
C McGhee says:
RNR-

did you feel that the female's roll was increased & therefore less time was available for Tron? It seemed that way to me though I didn't view it as a negative. It was more like let's have Tron too.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 12:43:27 PM PST
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Hi McGhee - Yes, they devoted more time to Olivia Wilde's character Quorra, which isn't a bad thing in and of itself. She played an important part of the movie, but I still wish they had given Tron a little more screen time. We didn't even get to see Tron's actual face, he always had his headgear on. It would have been nice to see the movie makers regress Bruce Boxleitner to a younger age like they did Jeff Bridges' Clu character, and let him have some fun playing Tron. But it's just minor nitpicking, really. But who knows, maybe they will throw us some surprises in the way of extra added scenes when the movie comes out on DVD and Blu ray? I also wonder if they are planning on doing another Tron sequel and focus that one on Sam Flynn and Quorra in some kind of new adventure? I kind of hope not. I think they should just leave it as it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 21, 2010 12:55:50 PM PST
C McGhee says:
RNR- TRON

The thing I'm watching for is the re-release of the original TRON. The original widescreen edition is currently $200 used over here. I have the Anniversary edition & it's $160. My daughter came by last weekend to borrow TRON for her boyfriends children. Mommy gives it to her & she carries it upstairs to tell me bye.

When I see it I casually yell out, "where TF do you think your going with TRON. GIve me that! If your gonna watch it you'll see it in this house."

You know what happened next. She called for mommy who thought I'd
let it leave here just because she thought it was a good idea. I already had it so I said, "If you think you can, bring your tired old rear over hear & take it from me." The *itch took it..... I still can't believe it. TRON is supposed to come home tonight. I'll feel better when he's here. :)
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions