Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Best actor of villainous characters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 76-100 of 264 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 6:31:31 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 29, 2012 10:31:43 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 1:15:24 AM PDT
Q says:
The only thing worth a damn involving Keanu Reeves is "Point Break".

On that note, I wish that Lori Petty would come out of whatever black hole she fell into. Something about her is hot and not-hot at the same time. Intriguing, nonetheless.

Okay, I have to admit...I also liked KR in the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Shhh.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 1:23:03 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
What, no Bill and Ted!?! Parenthood!?!

Shame on you, Q.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 28, 2012 5:18:40 AM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
"Okay, I have to admit...I also liked KR in the remake of "The Day The Earth Stood Still". Shhh."

Yes, to this day it's still probably his best comedy work. <he said with tongue in cheek>

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 7:17:40 AM PDT
Peridot says:
It's been a while since I've screened the film. It's possible that Oldman's performance overshadowed everyone else's for me. I'm not certain Coppola should have attempted that project. I expected so much more and I was disappointed with virtually every scene. Gothic horror not so much his genre, I fear. More's the pity. What an absolute waste of talented actors. Even the memory of it leaves a bad taste in my mind.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 4:39:58 PM PDT
Has no one mentioned Charles Middleton? I can't believe it.

Posted on Sep 28, 2012 10:46:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 28, 2012 10:51:22 PM PDT
Peridot says:
I regret to report that Charles Middleton is a stranger to me. I shall have to look him up in the IMDB.

Edit: Which Charles Middleton, please? There are three listed in the IMDB. To which actor did you refer? The one who played Ming the Merciless? I am eager to know.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 12:27:35 AM PDT
Yes, the one who played the Merciless Ming. But it wasn't just Ming, of course. This thread originally began with a requirement of at least 10 performances of evil doing. This man far exceeded that minimum with a career composed almost entirely of evil, mean, nasty, rude and ill-tempered bad men. He was even a low-down, double-dealing, hostile, small-minded, petty, dishonorable villain in comedies of W.C. Fields, the Marx Brothers and 5 Laurel & Hardy films. My vote for the number 1 villain of the movies.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 10:41:20 AM PDT
Gene Hackman in any movie where he's the villain or some type of antagonist.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 10:49:08 AM PDT
Kacee says:
Fallen,
And when Gene is a hero ie Rev Scott, he is gorgeous (swoon).

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 10:55:25 AM PDT
My favorite villain role of Gene's would probably be from The Quick & the Dead. I just hated him in that movie, but that lets me know he was doing his job.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 11:14:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2012 11:15:58 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Ramona - I don't know what you have against Gary Oldman. I think that yours is a minority opinion. He's one of my favorite actors, but for you to say that he was miscast in Dracula and that everyone else was well cast is ridiculous. I think that Keanu Reeves, in particular, was god-awful in that film. One of the worst acting performances I've ever seen as a matter of fact.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 11:34:58 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Warchild - Love your list. Check out Alan Rickman in Snowcake, and The Search For John Gissing also since you like him comedic roles, though the first one is more comedy/drama. The upcoming Gambit looks like it's going to be a funny one too, judging by the trailers I've seen. The screenplay is by the Coen brothers and also features Colin Firth.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 11:44:32 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Brian C. Lawton - I think you meant George Sanders. Did you ever see him in The Picture Of Dorian Gray?
Don't forget Edward G. Robinson in the gangster classic Little Caesar.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 11:48:00 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Balok - Great list. They played some of the best villains ever. To this list I would add James Mason.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 3:05:28 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2012 3:13:43 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Ms Turner: I beg your pardon, but I'm terribly confused. What are we voting on here? 'Minority opinion'? I don't know what that means. How is it relevant to the fact that I dislike Gary Oldman? Look upthread. Please show where I claimed that everyone else was well cast? What I wrote was that his performance overshadowed everyone else's for me.

I am a major fan of vampire films and Dracula iterations specifically. I read DRACULA the first time when I was 8 years old, so I've been a fan for quite some time. I have high expectations of the genre. Therefore, in my considered opinion, Gary Oldman lacked the looks and the charm to carry off the romantic side of Count Dracula's vampire character as it has become. Oldman is unattractive, too thin and too short to carry off the physical requirements of the role of the dark and mysterious Count Dracula. He has all the dark and mysterious appeal of dank seaweed.

You're entitled to your opinion on the film. If you enjoyed it and can bear to watch him wearing those ridiculous blue-tinted spectacles, that's wonderful. I sat with mouth agape, unbelieving that Coppola had chosen such a lame noodle to seduce Winona Ryder. Who could possibly believe that her fresh creamy beauty would be tempted by such cracked and dried-out fruit? Not I. He made my skin crawl because he still felt creepy and old no matter how young he supposedly became. Ick.

Don't get me started on having Mina kill him. 'Elisabeta,' I mean. That's a can of worms you don't want to open. Whether Coppola did that or the writer who adapted the script, they were off in LaLa land.

Note how I disagreed with you without calling you or your opinion ridiculous. How is it relevant if my personal POV is a minority? Opinions are always, by their definition, subjective. Allow me to provide another example: I cannot abide onions, so I *never* eat them under any circumstances. If 80% of the population (a guess) love them that will have absolutely NO effect on how I feel about the vegetable. I will always loathe and despise onions.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 3:17:58 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 6:34:44 AM PDT
I would nominate Robert Ryan. He came off as a truly mean and snarly dude in most of his roles. A close second would be Lee Marvin. And, of course, there's the marvelous Robert Mitchum.

As far as Dennis Hopper is concerned....well, evil is a mild word for his role of "Frank Booth" in David Lynch's mesmerizing 'Blue Velvet'.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 8:43:13 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I think you should base your judgement as to which Dracula is better based on your own viewing experiences. Lugosi captures Dracula as a pompous aristocrat, and has a memorable piercing hypnotic stare. His performance in Abbot & Costello Meet Frankenstein shows how good be as Dracula. It was his last role in a major film. I don't think either the blackmailer in the Body Snatcher or the maniac Ygor were the best showcases for him. Another good Lugosi villain turn was The Raven (1935). Although, notably Karloff gets the play more complex character there.

I would say as far as Universal Draculas go Lugosi was better than John Carradine who had to rely on gimmicks to hypnotize.

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 9:22:20 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2012 9:23:49 PM PDT
Stan Giesea says:
Actually, Ramona, in your post from Sept. 27, at 2:08:20 PM, in reference to Gary Oldman's performance in Coppola's BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, you wrote, "That film was ruined for me by him. EVERYONE ELSE WAS WELL CAST (emphasis mine) but he stood out like a frog in a punchbowl."

Does that ring a bell?

Posted on Sep 29, 2012 10:33:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 29, 2012 10:33:37 PM PDT
Dennis Hopper as Howard Payne in the film 'SPEED' was a pretty great villain.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 10:38:13 PM PDT
'Point Blank' was definitly one of Keanu Reeve's best movies. And where did Lori Petty go? The last thing I saw her in was Tank Girl, back in 95. I think her best film was 'In The Army Now'

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 29, 2012 11:42:57 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Billie Hays did play Robert Scorpio's Secret Agent Mentor on General Hospital circa 1979-1980.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 8:26:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 8:49:54 AM PDT
Peridot says:
I stand corrected, thank you, Mr Giesea. I did write exactly that. In a later post I also wrote something along the lines of Oldman's performance overshadowing that of the other actors.

Oldman ruined the film for me. But I seem to be repeating myself. My skin crept whenever Oldman was onscreen, and it was not in a good way. It was a grave disappointment. I'd expected much more from Coppola.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 8:57:11 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Ramona "He has all the dark and mysterious appeal of dank seaweed." I have to say I love that description! I started laughing it is soooo mean! I once wrote a note, crumpled it up, dropped it on the floor at work because there was this snoopy, eager-beaver, who just had to know everything--looking over your shoulder to see what you wore working on etc. The note said: "Sam has the soul of a dead, dried up frog!" I am going to cheat here. I know this thread is about a career as a bad guy, and I would ad Jack Lambert to the list for sure. On the other hand the only time I was in a theater when the audience as one, stood up, cheering, yelling, cursing, was when Clint Eastwood finally shot and killed the character played by Andy Robinson. His character was so awful and played to the hilt. I always thought he was robbed by not getting an academy nomination.

Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:48:07 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 2:49:12 PM PDT
Stan Giesea says:
Andrew Robinson is an excellent addition to the list, Larry. His characterization of a psychopathic serial killer was particularly scummy.

It should be noted, however, that at the end of the film, Robinson is not dead. Rather, Eastwood is torturing him by standing on his wounded leg as the helicopter shot recedes into the distance.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  264
Initial post:  May 15, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions