Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Best actor of villainous characters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 264 posts in this discussion
Posted on Sep 30, 2012 2:51:08 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Stan: I could have sworn he killed him. Have thought so all these years. I thought he went over backwards in a stagnant pool of water and just floated there. I am stunned!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 6:46:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Sep 30, 2012 6:51:14 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Ramona - You did, in fact, say that everyone else was well cast (turn back to page 3) unless you were referring to some other film I don't know about.
As for Gary Oldman, even though I don't think that this was his best role, I do believe he is a great actor and I think many people would agree with me. It's OK if you don't like him. I was simply wondering why, that's all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 30, 2012 6:58:01 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Robert Bykowski - I thought that Robert Ryan's character in Billy Budd was a very nasty piece of work. I really detested that man. Pure evil.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 10:22:16 AM PST
Peridot says:
This is a copy of an earlier post, which is a response to two other posts:

'I did write exactly that. In a later post I also wrote something along the lines of Oldman's performance overshadowing that of the other actors.

Oldman ruined the film for me. But I seem to be repeating myself. My skin crept whenever Oldman was onscreen, and it was not in a good way. It was a grave disappointment. I'd expected much more from Coppola.'

After reconsideration, and in all honesty, I have to admit that I enjoyed Gary Oldman in THE FIFTH ELEMENT. He did a cracking job as Zorg. He hit all the notes for comedy and villainy. I even laughed at him in certain places and when he was choking I wanted him to be saved. Therefore, IMHO it was miscasting that led to the problems in Coppola's DRACULA.

I've also learned there were personality issues between Oldman and Ryder during the making of the film. I don't care about it enough to investigate and learn what they were; perhaps they were having sex, perhaps not, whatever it was makes no difference to me, I still dislike the script changes and Oldman's performance. Bram Stoker is likely still spinning in his grave at the ridiculous story changes. Still, perhaps these made a difference...

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 1:57:26 PM PST
Jack Palance as the hired killer 'Wilson' in Shane - the epic showdown in the saloon between Alan Ladd's 'Shane' and Palance is a study in lighting, getting the right mixture between dialogue/speech and silences, and magnificent camera work. The tension mounts to an almost unbearable level - how many viewers have been on the point of shouting "Look out Shane" just before the gunfight? But, it is Palance, sitting at that table in the shadows, like a cross between 'Alien' and a Vampire who just exudes the most visceral evil I had ever seen. Only Anthony Hopkins in "The Silence of the Lambs" has hit that chord since for me.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:11:39 PM PST
C. J. Vasta says:
OH, I don't Lex Luthor in Superman II was probably his worst role.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 12, 2012 2:46:22 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Brendan P. Delaney:
Excellent description of a scene in a movie that I have watched over and over through the years, just to watch that scene. You are right in everything--the lighting, the setup, the talk, the silences, the tension in everyone including the audience. Excellent.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 13, 2012 11:40:08 AM PST
Well, then almost any villain Gene Hackman has played. lOl I really though Jack Nicholson's role in The Witches of Eastwik was awesome.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:11:19 PM PST
Ms. Brentano says:
@Brendan P. Delany - Loved Jack Palance in that role. I also like the scene where he's sitting astride his horse, never taking his eyes off of Shane and then slowly dismounts, all while having such an evil grin on his face. I thought he was quite menacing in that scene also.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 14, 2012 12:27:19 PM PST
Ms. Brentano says:
@JB. Taylor - I must respectfully disagree. It doesn't matter whether or not it came out before or after The Matrix. I just thought that he was awful in Dracula. Not just the accent, but his entire performance was very wooden to me.

Posted on Nov 15, 2012 7:23:57 AM PST
Sean Penn...U Turn, Carlito's Way, Dead Man Walking, Mystic River-although in the last movie, he's not really a full blown villian but still a gangster small time racket type.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 6:59:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:27:15 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:02:20 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:26:57 PM PST
@Stan Giesea - Totally agree--on all points. Tom Waites was fun as Renfield, too.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:10:29 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:24:39 PM PST
Maybe I'm missing something, but I haven't seen a lot of range in Keanu Reeves. In the Matrix films, he did very little except look serious and flip around in the air. It was the film itself (I'm speaking of the first one) that was so good. Hugo Weaving and Joe Pantoliano were both better than Reeves. I think he did a better job in "Parenthood" and "Bill & Ted's Excellent Adventure". And, as someone else suggested, he was perfectly cast as the robotic Klaatu... :-)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 19, 2012 7:13:49 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 19, 2012 7:23:48 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 19, 2012 7:39:03 PM PST
My list includes many some already named & a few more:

David Warner
Lee Marvin
Robert Mitchum
Christopher Lee
Gary Oldman
Alan Rickman
Jason Isaacs (his character in "The Patriot" was more scary than Lucius Malfoy)
Barbara Stanwyck
Gene Hackman
Rutger Hauer
Harvey Keitel
Glenn Close ("Dangerous Liasons" as well as "Fatal Attraction")
Terence Stamp
Toshiro Mifune
Robert De Niro
Jack Palance
Peter Stormare
and, though he's also known for being a romantic lead, Ralph Fiennes ("Schindler's List", "Red Dragon" and the "Harry Potter" films)

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 22, 2012 2:11:38 AM PST
M. Gaudet says:
Peter Cushing And Christopher Lee.

Posted on Nov 23, 2012 2:50:18 PM PST
I think Samuel L. Jackson needs to have more villain roles. When he does play a bad guy he does pretty well. I'm mostly referring to Jackie Brown. Even as average as The Spirit was I thought Sam was cool as The Octopus.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 24, 2012 11:09:29 AM PST
Peridot says:
SLJ is outstanding in any role.

Posted on Dec 24, 2012 3:18:29 PM PST
Joaquin de alameda : bucho in the movie Desperado

Posted on Dec 26, 2012 5:31:40 PM PST
mack says:
Cape Fear with Robert DiNiro!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 26, 2012 8:39:04 PM PST
Laust Cawz says:
Reeves has always been (&, I guess, always will be) most believable as a surfer dude. He doesn't know how to act & still come across as natural. I guess his role in "Parenthood" (which I didn't hate him in) was close enough to the type he already had played that he didn't totally suck, but he's been pretty terrible in enough of his movies that I was interested in seeing that I wish he'd gone into another line of work. He was the worst thing about "Bram Stoker's Dracula" & he kept "Speed" from being as amazing as it should've been. Everybody & everything else about "Speed" was perfect, but he sort of ruined it. I never wanted to see ANY of the "Matrix" movies simply because he's the star.

Wasn't interested in the "Bill & Ted..." movies from the start
(why did Carlin choose such lame movies to be in?).
It was obvious this was just more bad imitations of Jeff Spicoli.
I give Alex Winter credit that the only non--"Bill & Ted..." movie
I ever saw him in, "Freaked!" was very cool
& he was better in it than Keanu's ever been in ANYTHING.
Also a surprisingly good part for Brooke Shields.

Posted on Dec 27, 2012 5:48:35 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Laust Cawz: In my opinion: Some actor's potential or even real talent is badly hampered by their voices. I am not saying that Keanu Reeves has any great talent, but even if he did, his voice sounds like a surfer dude. That is a problem for Stallone. I thought Cliffhanger was pretty good as a movie, but every time Stallone got excited or tried to talk fast, his voice took me right back to Rocky, First Blood, etal. I will say that I admire Stallone for making some movies that millions enjoyed, regardless of their value vs quality films. If half the story of how he finally got to make Rocky is true--then that story is similar to movie Rocky--pretty much against all odds. Swatznegger is another example of someone with an almost indecipherable accent at times, with a huge body, not a particularly good looking man, who made himself into a zillion dollar star. In an acting contest with any actor of quality, he would finish last--but I have enjoyed many of his movies because they are very entertaining. I have never gone to a Reeves, Stallone or Swatznegger movie expecting to see Olivier, DiNiro or Duval.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:00:32 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 28, 2012 10:05:07 AM PST
Peridot says:
Richard Boone still stands out as an actor who was great as portraying wonderfully cheerful and likeable psychopaths. Unfortunately, most of the roles he played were in westerns, but his characters were chillingly real.

Boone's Frank Usher in THE TALL T predated Norman Bates by more than 5 years, yet Usher was someone the viewer wanted to get away with his crimes. This was a new sensation in the cinema at a time when everything was always black and white, the good guy got the girl and the bad guy always died. The censors insisted on it. Most of the time they were colour coded so they could be differentiated by their hats: White Hats for Good Guys, Black Hats for Bad Guys. That made it easier for the slow folks to keep up.

It was disturbing to find that maybe, just maybe, you wanted the bad guy and the good guy to be friends. Just this one time, could it happen, perhaps? Richard Boone was brilliant in this film starring Randolph Scott, directed by Budd Boeticher.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 10:13:49 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Ramona: I think Boone was at his best in "Hombre" and I think it was one of Newman's best performances (Martin Balsam was excellent as always). Boone was also great in "Big Jake". He took the villains role, which in many of Wayne's movies was a cookie-cutter character for Wayne to beat up or shoot, and made the villain a real nasty character. That gravelly, drawling voice of his could be so utterly evil and mean!!
One of my favorite scenes all time in a western is when Boone and his bad guys have Newman and a bunch of incompetents trapped in a building at the top of a hill. Boone comes up under a flag of truce and tells them all how it is going to work for them to go free. Newman says something like, "I got a question for you?" "What's that?" asks Boone. "How you going to get back down that hill" and then he starts shooting at Boone. Great scene.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  264
Initial post:  May 15, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions