Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_plcc_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums $5 Off Fire TV Stick Subscribe & Save Shop Popular Services pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 26-50 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:01:51 PM PDT
Disagreed. One: I never cared much for them in the first place. Two: They're as burned out as Guns N' Roses, a band I despise with every ounce of my body.

Statement: Robin Williams was at his best in Good Will Hunting.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:07:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 9:08:17 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Disagree. Although he was great in good Will Hunting I believe Robin Williams was at his best in both Jack and Patch Adams.

Statement: The Godfather is a classic and will continue to stay relevant for a long, long time.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:19:59 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Disagree: 'The Godfather' is a dull exercise in over-romanticized gangster movie cliches that has more often ruined a lively genre in its pernicious influence, a genre that was better served in a Warner Brother tabloid pace than a slow-as-honey-river Rembrandt-lit fiasco.

Statement: Zombie cinema reached its apex in ingenuity in the drama, horror, and comedy realms, with Romero's 'Dawn of the Dead', and it was all downhill from there.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:21:47 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Disagree: Shawn of the Dead and 28 days later were pretty good.

Statement: J.K. Rowling is a tremendous author.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:32:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Oct 31, 2012 9:34:19 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
I may have been exaggerating about "all downhill" but your response seems to indicate that you thought the original 'Dawn' was no better than "pretty good"? The main thrust of what I was saying was that Romero's 'Dawn' was the top of the hill of Zombie cinema. You disagree?
------
Agree: J.K. Rowling is a tremendously overrated author. (sorry!)

Statement: Fantasy fiction today is at the lowest ebb in human history. There isn't a single new writer with a fraction of the talent of John Wyndham or Alasdair Gray.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alasdair_Gray

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:40:08 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Disagree: If you've haven't read Harry Potter, you should read them. If you have, you should give them a second shot and give the books a fair shot.

Statement: The first Matrix revolutionized movie making and still influences films today.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:53:47 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
On the Potter: I have read half of one. That's enough for me.

----

Disagree on 'The Matrix'. Nothing particularly original about it at all, in concept or design. And its influence is to the detriment of movies today.

Statement: There has never been a good straight movie adaptation (not a spoof-adaptation) of a successful TV series.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:58:15 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Disagree: Serenity was a great film adaptation of the show Firefly.

Statement: Warehouse 13 is one of the best shows on television.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:28:33 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
I'll take your word for it. I haven't seen any of that.

Have a very happy haunted night!

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 10:32:12 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Thank you. You too.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 4:31:36 PM PDT
Statement: "The length of a film should be directly related to the endurance of the human bladder".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 4:39:35 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Agree.

Statment: Daniel Craig makes a great James Bond

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 4:47:03 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Disagree. Haven't we had this one already? Compared to Sean Connery, all Bond's that followed are insignificant.

Statement: "I believe the common denominator of the Universe is not harmony, but chaos, hostility and murder.".

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 4:54:23 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Agree. To quote Einstein, "The world is a dangerous place to live; not because of the people who are evil, but because of the people who don't do anything about it."

Statement: Movies have sank in quality to do poor imaginations.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:06:48 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 5:09:12 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Agree mostly. There are many factors into why movies have fallen so much in quality, and it's the same as why standards have have been dropping in the quality of practically everything in modern times.
Ever since corporations started buying out all the old studios in the 1970s and making movies even more a "product", they don't generally care or understand about the individual qualities that made movies special in the past; they only want to see an instant return on sure-fire formulas. Diversity of talent is an alien concept to them now, with a rare few exceptions. And they keep recycling the same formulas over and again until they become diluted and ineffective.

Statement: (only paraphrasing Herzog this time:) "Someone like Christopher Nolan is for me intellectual counterfeit when compared to a good creature feature."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:07:36 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 5:08:57 PM PDT
Half. Only The Dark Knight is not valid of that statement.

Statement: Full Metal Jacket is one underrated film.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:12:22 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 5:13:21 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Disagree. Sorry Pastor and Sloany, I know you love this movie, but I find it exactly the opposite: 'Full Metal Jacket' is overrated by pretty much everyone in my eyes.

Statement: (to make it a Herzogian trilogy!) --
"If you switch on television it's just ridiculous and it's destructive. It kills us. And talk shows will kill us. They kill our language. So we have to declare holy war against what we see every single day on television. Commercials and - I think there should be real war against commercials, real war against talk shows, real war against "Bonanza" and "Rawhide", on all these things."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:17:23 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2012 5:17:49 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:19:44 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Agree kind of.
There are good shows on television, some scary, some for intelligent people, and others that are good wholesome fun for the family.

Statement: Reality shows we deliver us into a world identical to the movie idiocracy.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:50:37 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Somewhat Agree - geeze Napoleon, like anyone can even know that! (...you have to realize that that Herzog statement was made in 1980, before the rise of Reality TV OR special cable shows on HBO or AMC, etc....that was a world of televangelists, who were even worse than Reality TV stars)

Statement: Most of the character actors in older movies (made before the 1980s) were more interesting and talented than nearly all the actors we have today.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:57:00 PM PDT
Agreed.

Statement: Gone With the Wind is one of the most overrated films of the first half of the 20th century.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 5:59:13 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2012 6:05:29 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 6:43:18 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Nov 1, 2012 7:49:44 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:01:52 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 7:02:13 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Baker, what were you trying to say here?

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:08:09 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I would have to say that Senerity is not an "adaptation" of a TV series but a continuation with the same cast like the Star-Trek movies which were probably most successful example of TV to Movie transition. I would say Star Trek 2009 was a fairly good adaptation of the original series, and the Mel Gibson Maverick movie was a fair to middling adaptation with a few clever moments and some good casting choices.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 4, 2015

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions