Automotive Deals HPCC Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc Look Park Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Handmade school supplies Shop-by-Room Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 All-New Kindle Oasis Segway miniPro
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

TV Shows That You Wish Hadn't Been Axed Or Canceled

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 355 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jan 29, 2013 9:41:35 PM PST
J. Case says:
Carnivale was that on USA?

Heroes
This left me wondering was Sylar going to stay good?

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 6:25:51 AM PST
stevign says:
re" "Heroes: This left me wondering was Sylar going to stay good?"

It left me wondering how I could get Kristen Bell and Ali Larter to come over and jump my bones?

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 7:28:40 AM PST
Alan Sheriff says:
I wish the original Twilight Zone was still on. I know you can get it on various channels through out the month. I taped as many as I could on my DVR during the 1st until I ran out of space. These were absolutely the best. Mr. Garrity and the Graves, Hocus-Pocus and Frisby (Andy Devine), The Monsters Are Due on Maple Street (Classic, mob mentality), The Howling Man (be very careful who you let out upon Mankind), The Hitch-Hiker, Elegy, Two 1/2, People Are Alike All Over and so many others.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 10:17:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 30, 2013 10:17:34 AM PST
Since a few mentioned Joss Whedon's show "Firefly", I'd like to submit another show of his:

I'll nominate "Dollhouse"- a show that seemed to be doing good at Fox- at least until they moved it from Thursday to Friday. Bad idea...

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 10:22:42 AM PST
Carnivale was HBO.

As far as network shows, I've always wondered if the exec's ever considered that they killed a bunch of shows by taking them out of a good time slot and moving them around, or pre-empting a show too many times? It seems to reason that if a show is doing well, and then doesn't perform after a move, it's not the show. You should probably try to move it back to the slot it had.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 1:09:06 PM PST
Balok says:
@A. Sheriff:

> I wish the original Twilight Zone was still on.

While the original TZ was definitely groundbreaking and produced some of the greatest half-hour dramas in TV history, by the fifth season, it had pretty much run its course and was already starting to wallow in its own cliches. I'm not sure that they could have kept it up for 50 years, especially since they were doing 36 episodes a season back then.

Posted on Jan 30, 2013 1:39:24 PM PST
D. Larson says:
It strikes me that a great many of the shows mentioned were what some call "high concept" programs.

That is, the premise could not be explained in six seconds to a viewer clicking by, remote in one hand and bag of Doritos in the other. "Firefly" suffered from being science fiction, always a hard sell, and besides that, "cowboys in outer space".

"Dead Like Me" was a wonderful program, but to learn all the "rules", you almost had to watch from the beginning of the series. . Ditto "Pushing Daisies". "Carnivale", "The Event", "Last Resort", that dinosaur thing Spielberg had on last year.... Explaining what was going on could take longer than the average clicker has patience.

On the other hand, take a show like "How I Met Your Mother". Four obnoxious functioning alcoholics sit around a bar every night and drink while Neil Patrick Harris (!) chases women. That's been on what, eight years now? Simple setup, easy for a new viewer to settle into.

"2 ½ Men", same deal. "2 Broke Girls" could easily run ten years, since it is just easy sex jokes and minimal production values. "Anger Management", "Big Bang Theory" (admittedly that last one has a thin overlay of sciencey stuff to offset the easy sex jokes, but it's just another sitcom), these shows have longevity because they have simplicity.

I could include the perennial most popular hour on TV, "NCIS" in that category. It's basically a family sitcom, with an implausible murder every week. The plots are so absurd they're scarcely worth paying attention to, but folks tune in for years to watch the kids, Timmy, Tony, Ziva, and Abby grow up, and their parents Gibbs and Ducky get older and grayer. A viewer can step into the endless repeats on basic cable at any point, and be caught up within a week as to who's who and what's what.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 30, 2013 1:56:54 PM PST
I'm a firm believer that many shows should have, or should have had a beginning and a final destination in place before the show aired. Running a show until you run out of ideas almost never ends well, plus you run the danger of the unforseen events. People dying, getting stupid on you and getting fired, your best writing team gets wooed by the competition etc. An anthology like Twilight Zone could have continued, after all writers didn't stop writing Urban fantasy, or Sf stories. Analog, Amazing and Fantasy and Sf are still publishing. However a show like the X-files should have wrapped up long before it did.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 6:50:03 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"TV Shows That You Wish Hadn't Been Axed Or Canceled"

Looking over what other people have posted - one that hasn't been mentioned that I would have liked to see at least another season of was, Stargate Universe.. I didn't like that it ended on the cliffhanger like it did... Same as they did with Defying Gravity.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 9:17:38 AM PST
Speaking of that, I guess a whole other category would be shows just left hanging that at least deserved a conclusion.

1. Crime Story (biggest cliff hangar ending ever)
2. Quantum Leap
3. X-files (why they didn't do this with the films I'll never know)
4. Carnivale

That's just the recent stuff. Television history is littered with series that never got a proper finish. I got to speak with Chuck Connors once if there was ever a conclusion to "Branded". He had to think for a minute and realized no, there never was one.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 10:27:24 AM PST
D. Larson says:
"Deadwood" suffered from premature ending, too.

There was a final episode, but it was a rushed, unsatisfying affair, especially given the leisurely development of the characters' fates up to that point. They'd expected another season to wind things up, but then the axe fell.

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 10:30:58 AM PST
illmatic says:
Heores, The Greatest American Hero, & my favorite Dragonball GT

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 10:54:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 10:55:53 AM PST
Jean Vidos says:
Life, Carnivale, Dirty, Sexy Money and Jekyll

Posted on Jan 31, 2013 11:10:26 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 12:26:37 PM PST
What do you think is in the majority; good shows that outlasted their welcome, or good shows that got the axe too soon?

Now that I look back on it, I sorta wish the reincarnated BSG had gotten the axe after season 3.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 11:15:42 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Amen to that! Actually, BSG's descent down the white porcelain whirlpool was underway during season two. Once they started down the road of religion in funny hats and heavy handed political parables, the whole enterprise began to come apart at the seams.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 12:29:30 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 31, 2013 12:32:32 PM PST
I use to think getting axed after season 2 would have been perfect, but looking back on it the idea of the first Earth being a dead planet was rather ingenious (certainly caught me off guard), and was a great season finale, unfortunately the show for me at least had already pasted the point of an unrecoverable death spiral. If they'd ended it after season three we could at least all still pretend that they'd had it all figured out.

*I'm sorry, ppl really think I hated BSG and I didn't. I think SF on television owes a lot too it (though no other shows have really tried to copy it yet). A good show with a solid premise that flounders and loses it's way will always cause more ire and disappointment than a show that didn't try at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 1:02:56 PM PST
KinksRock says:
A mix of both. I, for one, think that 30 ROCK lasted too long, and I'm bewildered by all the press about the finale. I stopped watching a few years ago when I realized I wasn't laughing. (Tracy Morgan . . . not funny.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 1:04:54 PM PST
stevign says:
"Life" was really good, I fell in lust for Sarah Shahi.

http://www.bolumrehberi.com/images/tv-show/Life/sarah_shahi_life_wallpaper_1280x1024_1.jpg

http://soulishexhortations.files.wordpress.com/2012/06/life2.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 1:10:46 PM PST
hmmm, I can see how that would be easy to do.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 31, 2013 1:14:27 PM PST
stevign says:
Oh yeh, as easy as breathing.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 3:14:57 AM PST
Balok says:
@James N. Smith:

> Crime Story (biggest cliff hangar ending ever)

They constructed a building for housing aircraft on the edge of a cliff?

> Quantum Leap

Well, there *was* that episode of _Star Trek: Enterprise_ in which Captain Archer looks in a mirror and sees a black woman staring back at him. . .

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 5:10:42 AM PST
Shawn says:
LIFE(I CANT SAY THAT ONE ENOUGH) House, Rescue Me, Firefly.(although N.F is kind of where he belongs on CASTLE)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 7:04:02 AM PST
stevign says:
Rescue Me was outrageously cool.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 1, 2013 8:31:18 PM PST
J. Case says:
Is that what happened in Baywatch? No final destination it continued when it should have stopped.

The River
Why is the River alive, what would the River do to kill them, etc. Also were the other shocking secrets we didn't know about the people on the boat. It did end on a cliffhanger that it left it open for a second season.

Posted on Feb 1, 2013 8:41:15 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Oh, doggonit: Celebrity Death Match!
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  355
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions