Professional restaurant supplies BDD_MSW16 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Made in Italy Amazon Gift Card Offer out2 out2 out2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors Kindle Paperwhite ReadyRide Bikes from Diamondback STEM
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

TV Shows That You Wish Hadn't Been Axed Or Canceled

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 355 posts in this discussion
Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:34:29 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Balok: There are a lot of clips of Parks singing on Youtube. His version of "Long Lonesome Highway" has some Dylan in it, but I listened to it and it made me want to go buy some more of his albums--well CD's. In my opinion he is a better singer than an actor--and he was very good as an actor. Played a good villain too. What is weird is that I found, looking at Parks clips, that there are episodes of Route 66 available--I tried to find the series on VHS years ago and at the time it was tied up in some sort of legal bs. I had hoped that it would be out in re-runs at some point, and I guess it is, but it has never played locally. Watched a bit of an episode just now and it still holds up pretty darn good. I wish they would bring "Then Came Bronson" back.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:37:38 AM PST
Yes "Man With A Harmonica" Talk about perhaps one of the best examples of image + music in cinema. Funny thing is as successful as that scene is and no matter how many ppl say they admire Leone, the majority of screenwriters and filmmakers today would never allow that much time for a scene to play out. Alas.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:38:43 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
Good to see Columbo getting a mention. That was a very well-done series. Besides the great character that Falk created with his performances, the show was also very well-written and directed. A young Spielberg even directed some of them.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 7:40:30 AM PST
I don't know if this show necessarily got axed, but I used to love the British show U.F.O. Still remember that theme song. Of course I didn't know it was British at the time, but I really did dig the cool space ship designs, and the female members of the cast were exquisite.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:43:13 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
The Complete UFO Megaset

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 7:47:14 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
stevign: You are absolutely correct (as always). "The Civil War" has to be one of the top 5 or or documentary or regular films made for Television. I haven't much cared for Burn's other docs, they are all heavy message docs and I have found them almost unwatchable. The music, the vintage photographs, the experts that did the explanations of what was going on in the South and North--especially Shelby Foote, were just outstanding. The music--wow!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:03:55 AM PST
stevign says:
I liked his Civil War series so much I bought it a few years back. I also own a copy of the movie "Gettysburg". As for Burn's other documentaries, I really like Baseball: A Film by Ken Burns and will be buying that soon. My mom doesn't even care for baseball but loved it.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:05:16 AM PST
D. Larson says:
Yeah, among the other weird things JJ Abrams did to Star Trek was to bring back the microdresses and kinky boots for the Enterprise babes. I can't imagine the Starfleet rationale for those uniforms; maybe they work better in microgravity?

I wonder if he'll spice up the girls' costumes for his new Star Wars? I, for one, don't want to see Carrie Fisher in that short a skirt anymore. Maybe back in 1977, but now? Let's don't.

But in the cancelled space opera department, how's about some love for "Space 1999"? From what I've seen, it wasn't as tacky as Trek, and the miniatures looked better than most.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:21:51 AM PST
T. spencer says:
I remember watching the Prisoner. I will check out the collection. Thanks.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:25:02 AM PST
T. spencer says:
I love Columbo too. I have every season okn DVD. I can't picture anyone but Peter Falk playing though. I also love Quincy, M.E..

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:30:12 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
"...and the miniatures looked better than most."

Going the other direction.. I really liked this series back when I was a kid - the oversized props were great.

Land of the Giants: The Full Series (The Giant Collection)

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:43:41 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
D. Larsen

I tried watching Space 1999 back in the day but could never get into it. I just thought that, compared to Star Trek, it just wasn't very interesting.

Two much admired shows I never watched were the just mentioned Columbo and Quincy, M. E. At this late date I don't remember why I purposely skipped them. Probably they aired opposite shows I did like. That's the way it worked in those days. There was no recording the competing show for later viewing. Who knew the times were primitive then?

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 8:45:57 AM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Balok - what a great Star Trek name.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 8:48:32 AM PST
T. spencer says:
You can see Quincy on Netflex now if you have it.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 9:21:45 AM PST
A Customer says:
"Frank's Place", a CBS series starring Tim Reid that aired in 1987-1988. It was a very good show that ended far too soon.

The "Frank's Place" opener:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kpig9t0VdEE

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 9:29:29 AM PST
D. Larson says:
That's the fact, Jack! I think television viewing must have been very different back when you had to be physically in front of the TV at the appointed time, and if you missed it, it was gone. You might see it again in reruns, but if you didn't, it was lost in the ether.

And, if two shows you wanted to see were on opposite each other, you had to choose.

I remember my Dad's first VCR; a JVC, I think, the kind that loaded into a tray that sprung up from the top. It weighed about forty pounds, had thirteen channels, and a remote on the end of a wire (he was an early adopter of that kind of stuff). But, it worked for many, many years; those things were built in Japan, and built like tanks. That is, heavy, solid and reliable. And, he could fall asleep in his chair and not miss Johnny Carson, just watch it over breakfast!

It was a great leap forward.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 9:56:54 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
The Prisoner is also free right now on Crackle.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:30:43 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
A show I really liked, still think was one of the most consistently funny on television was "Barney Miller". If I had the money and it was available I would have every year of that show. "Police Story" was another really excellent show.

Posted on Feb 20, 2013 10:37:03 AM PST
AJA says:
Two Westerns from the 1970's: Hec Ramsey, starring Richard Boone, and Nichols, starring James Garner.

Also, Karen Sisco, starring Carla Gugino and Robert Forster.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:37:34 AM PST
W.T. Keeton says:
Barney Miller is currently airing on Antenna TV.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:52:31 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
AJA: I have heard of the "Nichols" series a number of times over the years but have no recollection of ever seeing it or hearing of it while it was on. I finally figured out why--I was unemployed a lot in 1971, one of the worst times of my life, and we had no TV, nothing--I just read a review, sounds like a takeoff of Support Your Local Sheriff--or maybe it transitioned into the Support movies--not sure when they came out but both were very funny.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:53:17 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Bill, thanks but that is not a channel I get.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 10:57:37 AM PST
Yeah for another person who remembers "Frank's Place".

Anybody remember the Sf series about garbage collectors in space, "Quark" starring Richard Benjamin. Definitely a forerunner to the film Galaxy Quest.

And since we're talking some classics, I used to really like "Hardcastle and McCormick" starring Brian Keith. Didn't watch the show during its initial run, but started catching it in reruns. The chemistry between the two leads really sold that show for me, and it was fun. The buddy formula done right.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:00:53 AM PST
K. Rowley says:
Quark - The Complete Series
Hardcastle and McCormick: The Complete Series

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 20, 2013 11:11:06 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 20, 2013 11:14:53 AM PST
Man, you are on it!

(But damn that H & M complete set is steep!)

(. . .and that Quark set isn't that cheap either. Esp. considering it was only a season of 8 eps.)
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  88
Total posts:  355
Initial post:  Jan 6, 2013
Latest post:  Jul 27, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 8 customers

Search Customer Discussions