Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Whay are some films great....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-19 of 19 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jan 24, 2013 10:46:42 AM PST
...when you see them as they premier -- and then when you watch tyhem 30 years later, they are awful? (I think I know the answer but fire away and I will hopefully learn something.) On the other hand, some films remain incredible.

Examples of "films gone sour" (for me, anyway):

-- Dirty Mary Crazy Larry
-- Blazing Saddles
-- Hatari!

Examples of films which remain great:

-- Doctor Zhivago
-- The Cabinet of Caligari [http://www.amazon.com/Cabinet-Caligari-Glynis-Johns/dp/B0009X759C/ref=sr_1_7?s=movies-tv&ie=UTF8&qid=1359053083&sr=1-7&keywords=caligari]
-- Cleopatra
-- Most Hammer Horror films

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 11:10:05 AM PST
Maybe it is because as you grow older, your taste change.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:20:08 AM PST
Well, that's my simple answer and I agree with the idea to a degree but it really does not fully explain why I don't like some but continue to like the others.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:32:36 AM PST
JMM says:
I agree with Spiritual Architect.

Whether a film is great, awful, or anywhere in between is a matter of personal opinion and taste.

Since the film did not change, obviously your tastes did. This is to be expected, particularly if you first saw something as a child and are now revisiting it as an adult.

Posted on Jan 24, 2013 11:56:19 AM PST
Your expectations from film are not as demanding when you're young. A film either entertained you, or it didn't. I find that many of the films I enjoyed as a younger person, I still enjoy now. Movies like: The Great Race, The Life and Times of Judge Roy Bean, Valley of Gwangi. These movies never get old for me. Even, The Green Slime, while I don't like it in the same way as I did when I was a kid in the theater, I still get a kick out of it. I was never an art snob.

There are some things I liked as a kid, I went through a period when I couldn't stand it, and then got a bit older still, and realized I hadn't got the joke, or the point (The Adam West Batman was like that). In fact there are many films I saw as a kid I realize I just wasn't mature enough to appreciate at the time I saw them, and now I see how good they really were. Apocalypse Now, and French Connection are two films in that category.

Anyway as one poster said, the change is really an individual matter since the films haven't changed at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 24, 2013 3:43:42 PM PST
Hatari may seem fantastic when you are a kid, not so much as you grow older. The other 2 you mentioned are comedies, so what was funny then is no longer now.

I have no excuse now for why I would watch Gilligan's Island, but I will admit that I did.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 6:12:21 AM PST
>>>I have no excuse now for why I would watch Gilligan's Island, but I will admit that I did.<<<

This is a guilty pleasure I still have to this day, much to the chagrin of my friends who know me as a solid and knowledgeable film watcher who can't abide crap. I just find Gilligan's island funny. I think Jim Backus is a hoot, and he looks like he was really enjoying himself. Russell Johnson is another funny straight man who really doesn't get the credit for being a funny as he is. (I also have his autograph, a really nice guy). Alan Hale and Bob Denver never get mentioned when people talk about comedy teams, but they are great together much in the same way that I found Redd Foxx and Desmond Wilson to play really well off each other. The show also had some great guest stars. Han's Conreid as "Wrongway" Feldman never ceases to bring a smile to my face, and oddly enough when the show was cancelled it was still doing pretty good in the ratings -- so unlike a lot of shows you don't really have a mediocre final season. It just ended. Then we got mediocre reunion shows a decade later -- except for that one Alf episode.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 7:09:26 AM PST
KinksRock says:
The show was a fun farce. That's your excuse for watching it.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 7:34:49 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 7:36:11 AM PST
It's not a question of greatness. The term "great film" is pretty meaningless if it's completely subjective--all the means is that "I liked it a lot".

In order for a film to be genuinely called great, there has to emerge some kind of broad consensus--and some fairly objective criteria of what constitutes greatness in film. I will admit to being considerably pickier than most. At any given time, I doubt if I could name more than 20 or 25 films that I would call great--using comparable criteria for, say, calling Emma or David Copperfield or A Dance To The Music Of Time great novels, or the Beethoven 9th or the Monteverdi Vespers great musical works, or Velasquez's Maids of Honor or Dali's Persistence of Memory great paintings.

Certainly one's tastes change. I am always a bit nervous when I watch a film that I liked when I was young. Fortunately, more often than not, they hold up if they were really good in the first place.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 8:48:15 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 9:35:21 AM PST
There are films, I don't know if they were/are considered great, but they seemed to get lots of attention when they came out that I hardly hear mentioned now. Films like "The Sting" were huge when they came out, and you couldn't go anyplace without hearing Scott Joplin's music for years afterward. I don't think I've seen The Sting on television or at a revival house since I saw it in theaters. Kinda' the same for Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid, wildly popular when it came out. I think it still holds up well, even with the musical interlude, I don't know if I'd consider either of those films "great" per se, but they don't deserve the obscurity they seem to be having now.

Butch Cassidy's probably a poor example, a better example might be Boys From Brazil.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 8:51:51 AM PST
I consider Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid one of the greatest westerns ever made. Gilligan's Island, not so much. The visitors could always leave the island, but the locals could not. Must be where they got Lost from.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 25, 2013 9:34:04 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 25, 2013 9:51:12 AM PST
You could be right.

Actually I think BC&tSK to be a major influence on films, and a certain type of character, that we take for granted now, because it's been copied so much.

I sometimes look at the highest grossing pics of all time and despair. A film like BC&TSK isn't even in the top 50, and it is a superior film in all respects to over half the films listed, but then again I also know that box office grosses and quality are not interchangeable terms, though people like to debate as if they were. I just wish more studios and directors would stop trying to cater to the widest general audiences and just make, solid, thought-provoking, or just well-written, intelligent entertaining pictures. Such a picture in this climate might not become a blockbuster, but it will probably stand the test of time.

Posted on Jan 25, 2013 11:03:56 AM PST
Oh I'm like many here, such as the folks who still like *Gilligan's Island* -- not a biggie with me but I can see how people might latch on to it. I do the same with certain low-budget TV productions, Old Doctor Who, etc. My favorite (not low budget) was surely this episode of *The Three Stooges*: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=labL_KAD2rk

Somebody tried to define "great films" -- I sort of agree with their characterization. I find of late that the so-called Independent films are among some of the best these days. And now we are are getting access to films which were previously stuck away somewhere like this one: The Fall Of The Roman Empire (Two-Disc Deluxe Edition) (The Miriam Collection)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 4, 2013 11:25:29 AM PST
BackToGood says:
Yeah, I still laugh at Gilligan's Island, too. Some stuff you grow up watching you still latch onto. Gilligan's Island and Three's Company are two such "silly, guilty-pleasure" shows that I still find funny and enjoyable to watch. I'm in a comfort zone watching these shows, most probably because they DON'T take themselves seriously and there's no message and they're more humorous than given credit for. Total agreement about GI. Gilligan/Skipper-great comedy duo. Mr. Howell-hilarious. Professor-underrated straight man. And of course the ladies! Mrs. Howell-classy and dignified. Mary-Ann-sweet and sexy. Ginger-WOW! :-D

That said, there are a lot of shows I can't watch now that I watched ad nauseum as a kid, like The Brady Bunch, for example...No thank you!

Posted on Feb 4, 2013 1:46:05 PM PST
I did like that one *Gilligan's Island* episode where they *almost* got off the island but something screwed up and they didn't get to leave.

Also was very keen on that *Scooby-Doo* episode where the kids and Scooby were in that spooky place where there was a monster but, in the end, it turned out to be somebody in a monster suit and there was actually no monster at all!

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 9:38:53 AM PST
Hikari says:
>>>I did like that one *Gilligan's Island* episode where they *almost* got off the island but something screwed up and they didn't get to leave.

That 'one' episode? Wasn't that nearly every episode? The Professor would concoct a plan; Gilligan would do something spectacularly stupid and ruin it.

The episode that stands out the most for me, and probably my favorite is the one where Mary Ann gets conked on the head and thinks she's Ginger. She can't understand why all her sparky dresses have 'stretched' so much! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 11:46:27 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Feb 5, 2013 12:13:03 PM PST
Actually they did get off the island a few times. In one there was this mad scientist on another island that switched everyone's personalities. There was at least one other island within canoe distance because they were visited by natives on several occasions.

Also according to Russell Johnson, if the show had gone for a fourth season, Ginger would have gotten off the island, as Tina Louise really didn't want to do the show any longer.

In reply to an earlier post on Feb 5, 2013 1:44:13 PM PST
It woulda been easy to write people outta that show -- just say they drowned.

Posted on Feb 9, 2013 10:58:41 AM PST
BackToGood says:
Or get jungle madness! :-D
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  8
Total posts:  19
Initial post:  Jan 24, 2013
Latest post:  Feb 9, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions