Customer Discussions > Movie forum

10 Worst Films Ever Made

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 303 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 8:35:21 AM PDT
Fidel Amaya says:
I know it wasnt the entire series. Just Book 1. I just hated the fact that In the Film, Aang was to serious and resposible. In the Cartoon he was scared and a had a little kid attitude.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:25:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 9:27:41 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@C.J. Vasta - That's precisely why my mother hated Fail Safe. No President in his/her right mind would ever do anything like that.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:33:25 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@R. Tolar - Yes, that really is what I was referring to. The worst of the worst. Some of the films listed here really don't qualify. Some of you have not seen enough movies to know what truly bad films are.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:35:04 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Gary Bowden - Even the title of that one makes me laugh.

Posted on May 10, 2012 9:35:09 AM PDT
Savage Lucy says:
To be honest I can find enjoyment in almost any movie, even if it's 'bad' by the standards of most. What I can't forgive is a movie being boring or uninteresting. If I don't care what happens next, that to me is a bad movie.

Examples: Rubber, Are we there yet?, Suckerpunch

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:38:11 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@James N. Smith - Awww. How could you even mention that one? It's one of my favorites.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:43:18 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Jonathan Baker - WHAT??? A Clockwork Orange, The Manchurian Candidate, Funny Girl. I very strongly beg to differ, especially on the first two.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:51:30 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@Cinderella - I happen to love the Potter films because some of my favorite actors are in them and I find them entertaining but, as I said before, to each their own. I think you can do better than that though. How often do you go to the movies?

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:10:58 AM PDT
>>>Don't be so presumptuous. Anyway, you're wrong.<<<

That statement was directed at the ones who clearly haven't; not the ones who are just having fun. You know the ones I'm talking about, who when asked to name the 50 greatest films of all time come up with a list that perhaps has only 10 films (and I'm being generous) that are more than 20 years old. These are people who have 1) Not seen enough movies to engage in such a discussion, or 2) Have no clue as to what makes a film great, under which circumstances they still don't have the qualifications to engage in such a discussion. No presumption -- just fact. Those who don't fit the above classifications are probably okay, and don't have to worry about it.

I still like reasons for saying a film is bad. Just because a film doesn't suit someone's particular taste is not indicative of a bad movie. There are plenty of films I absolutely detest, for numerous reasons, but I recognize them as very good film. For instance I can abide the film Birth of a Nation. Is it a bad film? Absolutely not, it's a revolutionary film no matter how you slice it. It's called objectivity, and it's a good thing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:15:38 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
You, of course, are speaking of technical issues, which some people unfamiliar with computers wouln't get. The bit at the end was supposed to be profound. "Nuclear Warfare is just like Tic Tac Toe, it's hard to win, because it's much easier to block an attack than to score offensively." Then there's the whole the only way to win is not to play. What if not playing is not an option. The consequences could be a lot more severe than obstructed Xs on a board.

As to technical howlers about computer hacking. I can think of no worse offender than an episode of The Facts of Life where Natalie was able to remotely access the computer of a business rival of Charlotte Rae's. This was in era where data was usually kept on floppy discs, Computers were turned off when not in use, and had to be accessed though dial-up modems. The girls access this guy's recipie database and Jo decides to sabotage some recipes but inadverently wipes out all the system. We later find out he guy even though he's fairly old and probably wouldn't trust computeres have any paper back-ups of his recipies. (He does however print-out some copies of Mrs. Garret's recipies and conveniently throw the print-outs in the trash later in the episode.) Ironically, this unintentional foray into Science Fiction is much more plausible than it was when the possible when the episode. I can see some kid watching it and saying, "Wow those were the days before firewalls. It was the Wild West back then."

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:22:33 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
One thing I don't get is how the eeevil corporations plan to make money off the Xenomorps, I have never seen a lot of profit-potential, there, but it's generally driving the plot or the one other of most of the movies.

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:26:08 AM PDT
Here's a question for thought. Is a bad film always a bad film, or can a film that was thought to be good, or even great when it was released become bad over time?

The reason I ask is that as CGI gets better, and more accessible to pretty much everyone, and audiences expect more and more, I'm starting to notice quite a few very competent and enjoyable movies that get slammed or ignored, when the fact is that if they had come out 10 years earlier, they'd have been considered groundbreaking, they might have even been blockbusters. Same with some movies that were really huge when they came out and are sometimes unwatchable. As an example, everyone pretty much hates The phantom Menace, me among them, but honestly, if that film had come out in '77 instead of Star Wars what would people have said?

If one were being truly objective how many "great" films and the oeuvre of many top directors would be considered pretty bad by today's standards, but because like many writers or painters, people just say they're great because everyone else says they are great.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:31:09 AM PDT
@James N. Smith - Awww. How could you even mention that one? It's one of my favorites.

Don't worry, I don't think Alien is bad. It's still very watchable, it's just I was curious sense the same criteria he was using to consider Event Horizon a bad film could also be applied to Alien, except I think everyone pretty much knew up front that Alien was a Horror/Sf movie from the gitgo.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:53:13 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
Good points. On that note, the following runs thru my mind when say people talk about Tranformers 3 or whatever being the worst movie of the year:

This topic often turns into what is really most over-rated, biggest let down, or most well know bad movies. I suspect very few people have seen or are even aware of the actual 10 worst films ever made ... and for that I am happy because there are enough I have seen that are stinkers.

Posted on May 10, 2012 1:42:45 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Exorcist 2: The Heretic.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 1:52:56 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 1:53:27 PM PDT
RichieV says:
Rock N Rolla says:
Kevin Smith's "Cop Out" starring Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan was one of the worst movies that I ever saw.
---------------------------------
Richiev says:

It's funny; but I really liked the concept behind Cop Out: They decided to do a tribute to Eighties buddy cop films. The problem for me with the film was Tracy Morgan. I didn't believe for a second that he was a real cop. As an actor, did he do ride-a-long's? Study polices officers, any research what so ever?

In Beverly hills cop, in spite Eddie Murphy's antics you got the impression that at his core he was a good cop. Even in a comedy you have to be believable.

Cop out could have been great, but Kevin Smith needed to reel in Tracy Morgan or he needed to get a different actor to play that part.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 2:24:09 PM PDT
Why would anyone think that a tribute to 80's buddy cop films was needed? They never stopped doing 80's Buddy cop films! It's a frikin' genre unto itself. In fact 80's buddy cops films probably started in 1965 with In the Heat of the Night.

Posted on May 10, 2012 2:39:59 PM PDT
College Trip (went to see in the cinema for Martin Lawrence - one of only two movies where I left early - the other being Tomb Raider - why waste time ?)
Taras Bulba - Tony Curtis as a Mongol made suspension of belief impossible

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 2:50:32 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
Yeah, that might have had a little something to do with it also, but the jokes in Cop Out just felt forced and flat to me, and the story just didn't grab my interest at all as well. Which is a shame because I thought for sure that with a teamup like Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan that it would have been much better than it was? Oh well, they can't all be winners.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 2:58:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 3:01:59 PM PDT
Fascinus says:
JB: You were going so well there until Manchurian Candidate, Frankenheimer and Axelrod's one masterpiece. But Manny Farber's idea of White Elephant Art (vs. Termite Art) is a good indicator of how to pick worst e.g. Ben Hur, High Noon, River Kwai,Schindler. 4'O Clock is just dull, I think, but Serpent's Egg may be nutty enough to be rescued.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 2:58:46 PM PDT
RichieV says:
James N. Smith says:
Why would anyone think that a tribute to 80's buddy cop films was needed? They never stopped doing 80's Buddy cop films!
---------------------------------
Richiev says: Well you had that electronic syncopated music, The overly violent bad guy that might break someones finger or shoot them in the head but was really into fine art or classical music, You had the Romantic comedy element but instead of a man and woman you had the two cops.

They would have a meet cute, they would bicker and fight throughout the movie, one of them would tell the "sad story" at a key moment that would bring them closer together and in spite the fact that they couldn't get along, everyone in the movie theater new they were meant to be together.

And of course they would get yelled at for doing their jobs well.

80's cop films, part comedy, part bro-mance and part over top violence.

Now action films are all slow motion with people dodging CGI bullets and over the top computer generated special effects. The bad guys are more politically correct and everything seems to be PG-13 because some accountant decided they might make a few extra bucks if they take out all the good scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 3:06:24 PM PDT
RichieV says:
Rock N Rolla says:
Yeah, that might have had a little something to do with it also, but the jokes in Cop Out just felt forced and flat to me, and the story just didn't grab my interest at all as well. Which is a shame because I thought for sure that with a teamup like Bruce Willis and Tracy Morgan that it would have been much better than it was? Oh well, they can't all be winners.
-------------------------------------
Richiev says: I like Keven Smith but in this particular case, (Cop Out) you have to put the blame on him. When I watched the movie I didn't see Tracy Morgan as a cop with some quirks when he did something funny, I looked at the screen and thought, "Look, there is Tracy Morgan doing a bit" and that is on the Director. Just because and actor cracks everyone up on the set when he improves a line, doesn't mean that line should go into the movie.

Tracy Morgan was obviously put in the movie to play the Eddie Murphy part (Just as Bruce Willis was there to play... well, the Bruce Willis part) but I just didn't believe Tracy Morgan for a second as a police officer. That is Keven Smiths fault for not keeping to the script better or maybe not editing out the funny lines that had nothing to do with moving the story forward... Or, hiring the wrong guy to play the part. (Even though on paper it looked like it should work)

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 3:22:59 PM PDT
>>>(Even though on paper it looked like it should work) <<<<,

Yeah, a whole lot of stuff must have looked great on paper.

Posted on May 10, 2012 3:35:26 PM PDT
maiden pa. says:
All Vacation movies with Chevy Chase.They play them to death.Also,there isn't a day goes by that a Christopher Walken movie isn't on.Some channel has one of his movies.I think he's a great actor and like his movies,but doesn't he ever sleep.Every day

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 3:44:17 PM PDT
Baron S.,

Re: 'The Manchurian Candidate', 'Interiors', 'The Shining'.

Yeah, I get why people like them. In fact, some of my best friends not only love 'The Shining' and 'The Manchurian Candidate', they occasionally place them at the very top of their favorites. To me, the failure of pretension overwhelms whatever little good there is about them.

- - -
And, a note to my zero-of-one people (not you, Baron!) -- it appears I was wrong in assuming the above post (@ on May 10, 2012 1:02:45 AM) was obvious in sentiment: I did not mean that my opinion is superior to consensus opinion about these movies or others. Since it's the main thing I have to go by, these movies are indeed very, very bad to me.

What's the point in constantly stating the over-obvious that: what's good for some is going to taste like poison to others?
I don't expect anyone to agree with me that 'Cold Heaven' is one of the great movies of the '90s, and 'Titanic' is one of the worst. Consensus opinion is wrong all the time, needless to say. I'm wrong every once in awhile too.
Oh, and also, grass is green and kittens are cute. Film at eleven.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  78
Total posts:  303
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Dec 3, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions