Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Top Five "Christmas Carol" Movies:

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-17 of 17 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 2, 2012 5:07:51 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 5:11:03 AM PST
Joe Anthony says:
I say:

5. "An American Christmas Carol" (with Henry Winkler [a.k.a. "The Fonz"] as "Scrooge")
4. "Christmas Carol" (with George C. Scott [a.k.a. "General Patton"] as "Scrooge")
3. "Mickey Mouse's Christmas Carol" (with "Scrooge McDuck" as "Scrooge")
2. "A Muppet Christmas Carol" (with Michael Cain as "Scrooge")
1. "Mr. Magoo's Christmas Carol" (with Quincy McGoo [Jim Backus] as "Scrooge")

What say you?

I hope this leads to a lively discussion on the classic tale by Charles Dickens and the true meaning of Christmas.

EDIT: as an aside; I wonder if anyone has an approximate estimate on how many "Christmas Carol" adaptations were made for cinema or made-for-TV movies. I'm thinking that it could be well over 100.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:52:57 AM PST
Re: Adaptations of A Christmas Carol:

I can think of three respectable ones--I have no patience with the cartoon ones, or the endless bastardizations of Dickens' story, with the possible exception of Bill Murray's Scrooged.

Reginald Owen's version, 1938, a typical classic period MGM exercise;
Alastair Sim's version (also known as Scrooge), 1950, still the gold standard;
George C. Scott's version, 1984, worthy to be set along the other two.

Why settle for a bad copy when you can get close to the original with these three?

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 6:15:26 PM PST
Ms. Brentano says:
My one and only favorite is the Alastair Sim version (AKA Scrooge - 1950).

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 7:38:55 PM PST
MJEH says:
I was pleasantly surprised when I saw the OP's picks. I didn't think too many people remembered the 1979 Henry Winkler version. And, with the exception of the 1938 version, I believe these are all available on Blu-ray as of December 2012.

5. "Disney's A Christmas Carol" (2009/Animation) Jim Carrey

4. "Mickey's Christmas Carol" (1983/Animation) Mickey Mouse

3. "The Muppets Christmas Carol" (1992/Live Action/Muppets) Michael Caine/Kermit/Miss Piggy

2. "An American Christmas Carol" (1979/Made for Television/Live Action) Henry Winkler

1. "A Christmas Carol" (1938/Live Action/B&W) Reginald Owen

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 6:21:42 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 6:59:02 AM PST
Hello Joe,
I like the five films you've mentioned and would like to add the 1970 version starring Albert Finney.
It's my all time favourite.
I could see Albert really getting into the role of Scrooge as the film went on. Although it's possible that segments were filmed out of sequence.
We have a tradition of pantomine in the UK and it has that light hearted aspect about it.
It's a 4 out of 5 stars for me.

Scrooge

I'd love to watch this version
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0216621/

There is also a BBC version starring Sir Michael Hordern

http://youtu.be/gjf-UvEyH44

And a Dr Who special

http://doctorwhotv.co.uk/episodes/series-5-2010/5x-a-christmas-carol

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 7:27:30 AM PST
Well, call me a purist, but these various adaptations (American Christmas Carol, Mickey, etc.) strike me as pretty witless.

And the musical version with Finney is an abomination--a waste of some fine actors. Even the best of Dickens musicals--Nicholas Nickleby--is something of a trial of watch. Leslie Bricusse's score is unusually sticky. A lump of coal, and a hearty "Bah, humbug!"

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:41:29 PM PST
L. S. Lamb says:
I would say the 1950 version with Alistair Sim is my favorite. I, however enjoyed Ms Scrooge very much. Cicely Tyson was wonderful in this production ! unfortunately it is not on DVD yet.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 5:20:51 PM PST
Only one for me, the Alistair Sim version is the standard. As a kid I could've sworn it was made in the 1840s.
There's a beautiful animated version from 1971 (with Sim playing Scrooge again!) - my only complaint is it's way too short.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 11:38:55 AM PST
Melisann says:
The Alistair Sim version (Scrooge, 1950) is my all-time favorite.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 1:03:03 PM PST
Laust Cawz says:
I'm not sure at this point where to find it (or if it's on youtube somewhere--I don't see it anywhere, but maybe I need to look harder or put in something different in my search), but I remember an episode of "Amazing Stories" in the '80s that presented a "sequel" to the original story, in which Scrooge's new found relentless generosity gets carried too far & people begin to not take him seriously & start treating him as a sucker. He gets visited by three more ghosts &, when he's taken to his grave, he's been entirely forgotten. His name on the gravestone is even misspelled ("Ebenoozer Screege"). The resolution to the story is that he needs to strike a happy medium between being miserly & just randomly giving everyone everything. A great (& long overdue, I might add) lesson in value & worth.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 22, 2012 1:28:35 PM PST
mack says:
I agree . It's my all time favorite also..he's the best Srooge in my opinion!

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:10:42 PM PST
D. Larson says:
While I'm supposed to say it's the Alaister Sim.... meh. Kind of bores me.

The one I actually always enjoy every year is "Scrooged" with Bill Murray.

For the "straight" Dickens, give me the George C. Scott or, second best, the Patrick Stewart. They're both perfectly respectable movies. But I'd still rather watch "Scrooged".

Posted on Dec 22, 2012 8:51:54 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Oh, and check out the brilliant animated version by Richard Williams. Made in 1971 for television, it's thoroughly creepy and scary, beautifully drawn, and minimizes the Tedious Tim bits in favor of the ghosts.

And, it does it all in under a half hour, and it's available free on the You Tubes!

Posted on Dec 23, 2012 1:13:37 PM PST
mack says:
I like Alaister Sim. He's the best scrooge in my opinion.

Posted on Dec 28, 2012 3:58:44 PM PST
These are the versions my family owns and our rankings of them:

1. A Christmas Carol (George C. Scott)
2. Scrooge (musical - Albert Finney)
3. Disney's Christmas Carol (Jim Carrey)
4. A Muppet Christmas Carol
5. Mickey's Christmas Carol
6. A Christmas Carol: The Musical (Kelsey Grammer)

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2012 12:42:36 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2012 12:43:56 PM PST
mack says:
A christmas Carol (Allisater Sims) . I think he was the best scoorge of all...I have seen other actors play this part and I prefer A. Sims over all the others.

Posted on Jan 1, 2013 5:46:05 AM PST
Islander says:
A Christmas Carol: The Musical (Kelsey Grammer)
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  13
Total posts:  17
Initial post:  Dec 2, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions