Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Alibi Lounge

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 101-125 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 10, 2012 8:29:55 PM PDT
Thanks for all the feedback on spoilers. I hadn't considered new generations of movie watchers. And I got my come-uppance just a minute ago. I was looking around at Amazon movies, found Night of the Jackal and added it it my Netflix queue. Amazon then suggested I might be interested in Night of the Generals. Omar Shariff, Peter O'Toole, Christopher Plummer...was I interested? Of course I was!

Their product description gave away the whodunnit.

I am assuming I no longer need to see the film.

Posted on May 10, 2012 8:39:37 PM PDT
You know who I miss as an actor? Who died way too young?

Raul Julia.

I loved him and William Hurt in "Kiss of the Spider Woman". That was a good film.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:47:29 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
JPB- only one

Of course. I was shocked to see it. I've seen my dvd-r a rental dvd-r & now this. Amazon has it on DVD, 4 new ones starting at $29.95 & 13 used ones starting at $24.88. 1/2 price has 3 starting at $30.61 & running to $50.96. Bet mine was a trade-in as part of a large group that all went into the bin.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:48:41 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
MG- Night of the Generals

Nope, I'd say you still need to see it. A worthwhile movie.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:50:36 PM PDT
Q says:
Crap. I still haven't seen 'Citizen Kane.'

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:50:56 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
MG- Raul Julia

R I P Gomez Addams.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:53:53 PM PDT
C McGhee says:
MG- come-uppance

Why do people get on a roller coaster whenn they already know the ending? Hint: the thrill of the ride.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 9:58:46 PM PDT
Q says:
re: Star Wars

Long, long ago, in a galaxy far away, a girlfriend made me sit through a Star Wars marathon, and it made me want to slit my wrists with papercuts. Good thing she was cute.

I STILL don't get the thrill. And I'm not necessarily a 'young viewer.' I'm 31.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:01:41 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 10, 2012 10:26:59 PM PDT
Q says:
re: Avatar

I have to put that on my list of "movies that you ought to see because people say that you should, but you really have no interest to see." Along with 'Citizen Kane.'

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:22:56 PM PDT
Q says:
re: 'Signs'

I laughed so hard when Joaquin is in the closet watching TV with the tin foil hat on. Watch his reaction when it shows the alien creep out at the little girl's birthday party. Effn hilarious!!! I had to re-watch that scene about 10 times.

PS- I may not be the brightest crayon in the box, because when I was watching 'The Village' I was apparently the only one who didn't "get it" until the very end. Wasn't Joaquin in that one too? I just like saying Joaquin. Joaquin.

M.Night is done. You can't continue making movies with "twist" endings and expect them to be shocking, when your trademark is making movies with "twist" endings. Pssh.

Posted on May 10, 2012 10:28:27 PM PDT
Q says:
Speaking of "died way to young"...

River Phoenix. Who doesn't love 'Stand By Me'?!

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 10:57:29 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@Q
"Signs" got so much right in the small details and the setting up of atmosphere. Too bad M. Night decided to go for the cheap and cheesy ending. I still think it would have been a far stronger film if the 'threat' had never been shown. After spending so much time on a nerve-tightening escalation of suspense and making us care about these people, M. Night goes for the flabby sell-out. *****spoiler alert!****** That alien in the living room that looked like a half-way deflated helium balloon, brought down by a glass of water. How scary.

M. Night, thinking himself this generation's Alfred Hitchcock/Orson Welles, can't resist putting himself in his own movies, despite the not insignificant flaw that he can't act worth a damn. It's bad enough in a cameo scene where he barely speaks; in Lady in the Water, he had the audacity to make himself not only a co-star, but Savior of the World, to boot. What a narcissist.

But back to Signs--I thought it was a bit of inspired casting to have Mel & Joaquin play brothers. The scene in the closet is hilarious; another favorite is when the boys are running around the yard trying to frighten whatever's out there, and Mel's Reverend is trying his best not to use any bad language.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:05:04 PM PDT
Hikari says:
@M.G.
Did I ever tell you about the time I met William Hurt? (Well, we weren't properly introduced, but I did touch his hand. We had interface. Sort of. Mr. Hurt is very tall.) This was 1986; Bill was fresh from his triumph at the Academy Awards, and still good-looking. And thin. These fair-skinned blonds don't age very well. But I had a bit of a crush at the time. It remains my closest encounter with celebrity.

In reply to an earlier post on May 10, 2012 11:25:00 PM PDT
Q,
My favorite scene in 'Signs' is......Joaquin in the closet with the tin-foil hat!! No jokes. I love how he plays that scene. How he rationalizes the crop-circles, then his shock at the alien appearing. Top shelf Joaquin.

Posted on May 11, 2012 6:45:40 AM PDT
On the VHS box for "Citizen Kane", some thoughtful designer put a sled, right in the center. If you have good eyesight and look carefully, you can make out "ROSEBUD" printed on the sled.

Raul Julia was very good as Harrison Ford's lawyer in "Presumed Innocent". It was great fun just to listen to him talk. His accent makes certain phrases a little difficult--"nip and tuck" he pronounces quite carefully--but he maintains such suave dignity. Paul Winfield, as the judge, also has a fine voice. They're both dead now.

Posted on May 11, 2012 8:25:43 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 1:48:38 PM PDT
Hikari says:
So . . .my alibi for not doing any work yet this Friday morning? I have been busy watching "Stefon" videos on YouTube. Bill Hader is the most talented SNL cast member since the late Phil Hartman. If you don't know "Stefon", the fey NYC club boi, I urge you to avoid some of your own work and check 'em out.

And if you have an entire 20 minutes to waste, queue up (new American) Craig Ferguson doing the 2008 White House press correspondents' dinner-pretty classic! Chase that with "Craig Ferguson laugh attack" during which Craig's robot skeleton sidekick Geoff Peterson caused him to lose it totally on the air. Happy Friday to my fellow company-time stealing criminals. :)

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:07:26 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 9:30:03 AM PDT
Bill Hader is without a doubt a great talent, but...C'mon now, SNL has a lot of excellent talent lately. Fred Armisen is always fun to watch, Abby Elliot is really cute and funny to boot, Bobby Moynihan just makes me giggle by looking at him, Nasim Pedrad is so Hot, man, if I wasn't married and she wanted to make babies with me, I would not argue with her about it! Andy Samberg is also very talented, and Jason Sudeikis needs no defending, he's excellent!; and Kenan Thompson is great too, ...let's not forget the super-hilarious and talented Kristen Wiig!

Will Ferrell is hosting SNL this weekend...Don't miss it!

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:25:05 AM PDT
Q: re Avatar v. Kane: There's a big difference. Kane is fun to watch, and extremely entertaining--something that you do not get from the excessively reverential tone with which some approach it. It may be the most entertaining great film of all.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 9:25:43 AM PDT
Q: Of course I like Riven Phoenix--but Stand by Me?

Twaddle.

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:32:38 AM PDT
This news clip is for you, William...

'Cat Cafe' Serves Coffee, Cake, Fur
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qaiagsQW2iw&feature=g-u-u

Posted on May 11, 2012 10:35:15 AM PDT
Hikari says:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8QPKcADzNQs
-------------------------------------------------
I think this may catch on . . . .Conan O'Brien shares the Office of Homeland Security's new Terror Threat Alert system. Nicolas Cage is the official spokesperson.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:49:48 AM PDT
Not the Bees!!!! Aaaaahhhh!!!!

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 10:57:42 AM PDT
Rock: When's the next flight to Vienna?

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 11:26:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 11, 2012 11:30:51 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@Rock re. current SNL cast members . . .

>>>Abby Elliot is really cute and funny to boot.

I know. Who'd have thunk that Chris Elliot could produce such attractive progeny? Abby's mother must be a supermodel. Who'da thunk Chris Elliot could get such a hot wife? "Cabin Boy" didn't exactly earn him a spot on the permanent A-list. I like Chris. I wouldn't have thought his genes would look so great on a daughter, is all. Abby has the distinction of becoming the youngest cast member ever when she was 17 years old, beating Eddie Murphy, who was 19 during his first season. Most of our cast members are well into their 30s or 40s. Rather unexpected for such across-the-board immaturity, innit?

>>>Bobby Moynihan just makes me giggle by looking at him.

Bobby is the Horatio Sanz of this cast. For his first couple of seasons, I was worried about his future because they gave him so little to do. Then, when Justin Timberlake did the 'Single Ladies' spoof, and Bobby was one of the 'backup dancers' . . .I could tell he had Arrived. He was a natural in a leotard and heels.

>>>Nasim Pedrad is so Hot, man, if I wasn't married and she wanted to make babies with me, I would not argue with her about it!

Agreed that she is lovely, though I personally will take a pass on making babies with her.

>>>Andy Samberg is also very talented . . . .

Andy's certainly got his devoted fan following right here in the Movie Lounge. He's got his moments. Is funniest in tandem with JT as one of the Guys, you know . .those Guys. Also with Chris Parnell, who is one of the cast members I miss a lot.

>>>and Jason Sudeikis needs no defending, he's excellent!

Jason makes a superlative Joe Biden, and was so much fun to hate as one of the Two (Butt)_holes along with Kristin Wiig.

>>> . . .and Kenan Thompson is great too,

Kenan has come into his own somewhat in recent seasons after far too long playing 'token bandleader guy' or anytime a skit called for a guy in drag. He's got a good voice. Great Bill Cosby impression. I think my absolute favorite from Kenan are the 'lovemaking positions' faux video commerical where he does some truly inspired improvisation with his body and various props. But it's not exactly Eddie Murphy-style biting satire that he cooks up. Of all our cast members, though, I could see Kenan going far on Dancing With the Stars like his fellow Disney alum Kyle Massey.

>>>...let's not forget the super-hilarious and talented Kristen Wiig!

Kristin has had a good run, but I am ready to bid farewell to Gilly, Target Lady, Lawrence Welk show Tiny Hands Girl, Aunt Linda and the whole stable of neurotic, manic chicks. Definitely one of the go-to girls for her entire run . . her characters all began to feel the same after a while. But I still queue up her Beauty with Gerard Butler as Beast ('cept he thinks it's the other way 'round) when I need a laugh.

Fred Armisen has been a good Obama. I look for him to leave the show soon, too, particularly if Obama does not get re-elected. Fred is now the senior member of this cast. Even if Obama does get a second term, Jay Pharoah needs more to do. Is he still there? Haven't been watching this season, but last year we barely saw any of the new featured players they added.

I still pick Bill Hader for my fave, though, for the cast member who manages the most complete transformations from character to character.

In reply to an earlier post on May 11, 2012 12:08:59 PM PDT
"Jay Pharoah needs more to do. Is he still there? Haven't been watching this season, but last year we barely saw any of the new featured players they added."

Pharoah is still on the show, but they do not give him much to do, and what little I have seen of him just wasn't all that funny. He does some good celebrity impressions though.

I have been keeping up with the latest season for the most part, and one of the best episodes that I saw recently was the one where Josh Brolin hosted. I thought that one was so funny that I just had to record it for later viewing.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  53
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  May 8, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 5, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 9 customers

Search Customer Discussions