Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Martin Riggs vs John McClane

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 28 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 17, 2012 12:18:12 PM PST
i recently got on an action kick and watched all 4 die hards and all 4 lethal weapons. got me thinking...who is the better action hero? not that there is a wrong answer. Riggs or McClane?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 17, 2012 12:27:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 17, 2012 12:49:30 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
I'd vote for McClane. Battling terrorists while barefoot, that's fairly impressive.

EDIT: Also, I find it difficult to respect Riggs with that mullet. Let's be honest... the only true action star who actually rocks the mullet is good old Jack Burton.

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 12:37:14 PM PST
Laust Cawz says:
I've only seen the first "Die Hard" & just bits & pieces of one or another
of the "Lethal Weapon" movies. I really didn't feel inclined to watch more (or all) of the "Lethal Wapon" series, but, after not thinking it was gonna be anything good or different or distinctive when it first came out (& the first few years after before I actually saw it), I've come to love the original "Die Hard". I even tried watching the first sequel at some point, but I had a hard time staying interested. The first one is hard to resist, though ("Now, I have a machine gun. Ho, Ho, Ho.").

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 3:14:52 PM PST
they don't make movies like that anymore...such a shame. cant wait for A Good Day To Die Hard

Posted on Dec 17, 2012 4:59:41 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
John McClane, definitely. Nothing against Riggs, but McClane is simply more entertaining. (At least, for me.)

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:16:15 AM PST
yea, bruce willis is just flat out badass in any role he plays

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:35:05 AM PST
D. Mok says:
John McClane wins hands down.

a) Riggs needs Murtaugh; McClane truly fights alone.
b) Riggs doesn't conserve his bullets (see Lethal Weapon 2 when he wasted a whole Beretta clip on one guy); McClane can take down a helicopter with just two .38 revolver shots.
c) McClane is from New Jersey.
d) Riggs has permanent damage from being beaten up by Wah Sing Ku.
e) Riggs has to babysit Leo Getz at all times.
f) McClane has more money; the Die Hard franchise made over $1.1 billion worldwide with a budget of $298 million, and with another film to come; the Lethal Weapon franchise made $955 million with a budget of $215 million, and the series is already done.
g) Bruce Willis can still do action movies; Mel Gibson is now a director, so he'd be out of shape.
h) All McClane has to do is play his CD of The Return of Bruno and Riggs' brain will melt.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:09:53 AM PST
haha...all true. ive always leaned towards mcclane too...but not by much.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:25:00 AM PST
Music Lover says:
McClane is much more of a hero in the true sense of Hollywood. Unassuming tough cop who gets caught in a crazy situation and won't give up till he takes out all the bad guys. His main skills are tenacity and heart and he's instantly likeable, trying to get back with his wife and building a great rapport with the Family Matters Dad.

Riggs is a disgruntled ex-Special Forces guy on the verge of suicide after his wife's death. He's depressed, sullen. He's an expert marksman(though D.Mok correctly points out for such a marksman he seems to waste a ton bullets), knows Jujitsu and is downright crazy wih an axe to grind and a deathwish. It takes till the second half of the first movie before most viewers even trust, let alone embrace Riggs.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:40:47 AM PST
Hikari says:
Given that the first Lethal Weapon was made in 1987, at the height of Mel Gibson's beauty, I kind of wanted to embrace Riggs right away. (Okay, not when he was all scary with the gun in his mouth.)

I'd have to go with John McClane as to the OP. Not really sure that the the two guys can be evaluated on the same playing field, since Riggs was obviously conceived as a more comedic character, going broad for laughs. A more even comparison would be John McClane and Jason Bourne. In that showdown, I'd have to go with Bourne because he can kill with his bare hands. Both get points for creativity and coolness under fire.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:44:56 AM PST
D. Mok says:
> since Riggs was obviously conceived as a more comedic character, going broad for laughs.

Not in the beginning. In the first film, Martin Riggs was a manic depressive, and his clowning stemmed from great pain and suicidal anguish. Starting with Lethal Weapon 2, Riggs gradually lost his edge until he was all clown in Lethal Weapon 4. It took Danny Glover's natural dignity and actor's control -- in spite of all the pranks and slapstick -- to ground the series so it didn't degrade completely into chaos. Riggs had very little emotional impact after Lethal Weapon 2; it's mostly Murtaugh who provides the humanity.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 11:25:32 AM PST
Hikari says:
That atttempted suicide scene was a great bit of acting from Mel. It was his anguish in that scene that convinced Franco Zefferelli to cast Gibson as Hamlet in his 1990 film version. They pulled back from that precipice to emphasize the buddy-comedy elements of the story and it worked--until they went too much the other way. I remember enjoying the second movie, but the other two were pretty much disasters, weren't they?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 12:32:25 PM PST
Music Lover says:
Hikari-I'm with you. the first Lethal Weapon is an excellent movie imo. the second was funny but still had some great action. the last 2 just didn;t appeal to me

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:58:19 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 1:59:49 PM PST
'Die Hard' and 'Die Hard 2' were good action flicks, but then the film series ran out of steam.
The 'Lethal Weapon' series of films ran out of steam after the first one.

So my vote goes to McClane, although I find both actors' arrogance rather irritating. And the way Mel Gibson has proven himself a total jerk in his personal life is something I can no longer ignore when I see him on screen.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 3:32:26 PM PST
RichieV says:
If you are asking who would win in a fight? Riggs

If you are asking who is easier to connect with, has to be the every-man McClane.

I can't be Riggs but every guy thinks if they were in the same situation as John McClain, they would do the same thing... (I know it's a fantasy but a good one)

Oddly enough, Lethal Weapon 1 seemed to follow the Romantic Comedy formula more than the action formula: There's a meet cute, the characters bicker and fight but the audience know they are meant to be together, At some point one tells the other a sad story and they grow closer, Just when you think they have connected there is a misunderstanding keeping them apart (The audience believes Riggs to be shot dead) The movie ends when Riggs falls into Murtaugh's arms.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 6:27:44 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Richie V

Are you telling us Lethal Weapon 1 was the first film "bromance"?

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 7:20:44 PM PST
RichieV,

Then again, Dirty Harry Callahan would kick the asses of both Riggs and McClane !

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:22:57 PM PST
RichieV says:
I don't know if it was the first, but it was a romantic comedy disguised as an action flick

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 7:35:57 PM PST
J. Baker says:
'Hickey and Boggs' had that going on in 1971. Same duo from 'I Spy' -- Robert Culp and Bill Cosby. Totally different characters but the same buddy-detective chemistry.
Not sure what the first buddy-cop movie was. Must have been before my father's generation.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 8:59:32 PM PST
D. Mok says:
> Dirty Harry Callahan would kick the asses of both Riggs and McClane!

No, he wouldn't. Dirty Harry was quite a weak character as far as action goes. He couldn't even use a real .44 Magnum -- his Smith & Wesson Model 29 was a .45.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 9:35:34 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
That romantic comedy formula sounds like a fit for 'Withnail and I' too.

Anyway, I'm gonna go with McLane. In my experience, in a fight, sane beats insane.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:25:56 PM PST
Balok says:
You know you're getting old when. . .

. . . you see the title of this thread and you think, "Bobby Riggs vs. Billie Jean King."

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 10:34:11 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 19, 2012 12:27:47 AM PST
Kacee says:
I prefer the Die Hard films to Lethal Weapon. I used to have crushes on both Bruce Willis (from his Moonlighting days) and Mel Gibson (after watching him in The Bounty).

I would definitely choose John McClane.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 10:35:13 PM PST
RichieV says:
Balok, Did you see, "When Billy beat Bobby"? It was a fun movie. I was too young at the time to realize how much of a scam artist Bobby Riggs was.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 19, 2012 1:11:38 AM PST
Balok says:
@RichieV:

> Balok, Did you see, "When Billy beat Bobby"? It was a fun movie.

Never seen it (even though I'm a fan of Holly Hunter).

> I was too young at the time to realize how much of a scam artist Bobby Riggs was.

Actually, in his day (15 -- 20 years before he played Billie Jean King), he was one of the top tennis players in the world. And I seriously doubt that at the time Billie Jean King could have beaten, say, Bjorn Borg, although I'm fairly sure that she beat Bobby Riggs fair and square.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  14
Total posts:  28
Initial post:  Dec 17, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 20, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions