Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Rate The Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1301-1325 of 1000 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:42:45 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Sloan: BZ I can hear my copies of the Matrix sequels laughing at me as I type!

Yeah, I ask for the first Matrix one Christmas & got the whole set. Guess I could donate the others to the library.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 8:45:53 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Sloan: BZ- American Me

Olmos has always been a great actor to watch but I think this was perhaps his finest moment. A truly stark picture.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 9:18:34 PM PST
stevign says:
re: "but I think this was perhaps his finest moment"

I would agree too. Sal Lopez always turns in fine performances as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=97m6cgQAlkM

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 1, 2012 10:02:01 PM PST
C McGhee says:
stevign- Sal Lopez

I was watching Full Metal Jacket the other day & my brother-in law says, "Hey look that's Sal Lopez." I hadn't picked up on that until then but then I didn't recognize Vincent D'Onofrio of Miami Vice until the second time I watched it, duh!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 9:47:19 AM PST
stevign says:
Although Michael Mann is one of my top favorite directors, I never cared for the way-too-slick tv series Miami Vice. As for D'Onofrio, he never registered with me until Law & Order: Criminal Intent.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 10:59:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 10:59:51 AM PST
Hikari says:
@WAS
I did reference That Stinking Pile Directed by Ron Howard That Shall Henceforth Never Again Be Mentioned By Me In This Space Or Any Other as the toxic sludge responsible for laying waste to Tom Hulce's promising feature film career, if that will earn me a dispensation. What a meteoric fall into obscurity!---1984: Receive an Academy Award nomination for only his second movie (first being National Lampoon's Animal House.) 5 short years later: Appear in That Film. Movie career over.

You'd probably dismiss his turn the year prior in Dominick and Eugene as a mentally-challenged Pittsburgh garbage collector as too sentimental, but I thought it was a fine performance. I cannot recall now if Mr. Hulce scored another Oscar nod or whether his brain-damaged character Eugene would have been considered too 'full retard' to get such. Jamie Lee Curtis & Ray Liotta co-star. Pittsburgh looks suitably filthy and depressing, following Eugene on his garbage route in the middle of a slushy winter. There have been several other films set in Pittsburgh, and that lady resolutely resists being smartened up for Hollywood.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:20:35 AM PST
H: Hulce got a Golden Globe nomination. Given Oscar's pendant for diseases, it would be natural to suspect a nomination there as well.

I will just say that that sort of thing is not my dish of tea, and leave it at that.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:46:43 AM PST
Seven Chances

Lord, I love Keaton.

10/10

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 9:18:19 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
MIB3

6/10

A good but not great film. It had it's funny moments, it even had some heartfelt moments to go with them. The acting was great, Josh Brolin was genius, and as always with the 'Men In Black' films, the special effects and aliens were top notch and fun to look at.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 2, 2012 11:00:25 PM PST
C McGhee says:
stevign- D'Onofrio

I watched Miami Vice because I liked D'Onofrio not because I thought it was great TV. The point was that I didn't pick D'Onfrion out as one of the main characters in Full Metal Jacket. I would have expected to recognise him immediately given his prominent role.

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:39:22 PM PST
The last film I watched was How Tasty Was My Little Frenchman, a film that gives away its ending in the...er...yeah.
A Frenchman, thought to be the enemy Portuguese, is taken in by a local tribe, where they use his skills all the way up until dinner time. Sounds fun, right? Well, it is.
If the jingle-jangle of a man-dangle repels you, do not watch. If you've always got a kick out of those National Geographic pics (you know the ones, you sick perverts), then do watch. If you just want to watch something different (and oddly reminiscent of a Herzog film), then also, you may like this film.
6.5/10

Posted on Dec 2, 2012 11:45:59 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 2, 2012 11:49:56 PM PST
I'm currently watching the very depressing, very sad 'A Day in the Life of the Friendly Neighbourhood Zero'. Talk about disturbing! This film makes 'Henry: The Portrait of a Serial Killer' look like Sesame Street! Mayhaps, by watching, I will garner an understanding of the mind on show, a mind in need of compassion, care, and bucket-loads of good old fashioned pity.

As Mr. T once so aptly stated, "I pity the fool!".

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 5:24:53 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
McGhee: I thought D'Onofrio committed suicide in basic?? Haven't watched the entire film in a long time but that is what I remember.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 7:01:38 AM PST
Sloan: I can find no reference to that film on IMDB. Who is the director? It may be showing up there under a different titile.

In fact, a full Google search does not turn it up.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 8:21:05 AM PST
Jonathan says:
Are you kidding?
'A Day in the Life of the Friendly Neighbourhood Zero' was a rather notorious entry to the Yugoslavian 'Zero to One' film series of the early '70s.

Try AlloCiné I guess.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:37:27 AM PST
JPB: Not kidding at all. A general Google series does not turn up the title. Nor does it turn up anything about the zero to one film series. Nor is there anything on Allocine.

One is perplexed.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 8:50:39 AM PST
Jonathan says:
There's only one answer then....

It's upon us. Those Mayans were off by 18 days. Life as we knew it is fading into something Other. All the memories, traditions, principles, and hopes we held dear...like mist over the hill. What will be revealed in its place, who can tell?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 9:03:20 AM PST
stevign says:
re: "The point was that I didn't pick D'Onfrion out as one of the main characters in Full Metal Jacket."

I understood that, I was just adding my take on Miami Vice.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 9:04:02 AM PST
JPB: Even to suggest, even in jest, that this Mayan rubbish has any credence at all is quite annoying.

The alternative, of course, being that you and Sloan have invented a remarkably obscure film and film series looks more probable. It's very hard not to leave a trace on the internet.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 1:37:03 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
"Aileen Wuornos: The Selling of a Serial Killer"
Nick Broomfield documentary about America's first female serial killer, Aileen Wuornos. Contains interviews with Wuornos, her adopted mother, and her (IMO) crazy lawyer during her trial. Extremely low budget, but still interesting. 6/10

"Aileen: Life and Death of a Serial Killer"
Nick Broomfield's follow-up documentary about Aileen Wuornos. Set near her scheduled execution date, the documentary centers around her declining mental state. 7/10

"Across the Universe"
A 1960's era drama/romance set to the music of The Beatles. Normally this is not my cup of tea, but turned out to be an enjoyable experience... even with all the flaws. 9/10

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 3:11:29 PM PST
William,
Don't mind us peons, amusing ourselves down here. It's gutter humour, which having flown over your head suggests that today, you sir, are upside down!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:08:33 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Larry Kelley- suicide

Yep, that's the first half of the film & no other character gets more personalized abuse than him. He is the downside of the first half & even those that don't know D'Onofrio as an actor remember the one that killed & then comitted suicide. Firearms put criminally in use affect people that way when there's only one instance.

Posted on Dec 3, 2012 4:08:56 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 3, 2012 4:09:53 PM PST
The last film I watched was John Ford's Sun Shines Bright [VHS], a play on prejudices and divide, of old wars and wounds, driven by the character of Judge William Pittman Priest (as played to perfection by Charles Winninger), the local judge and moral compass.

Just brilliant, hovering somewhere in the 9's, threatening to burst the 10 barrier.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:13:13 PM PST
D'Onofrio also utters the line that gives the film its title.

His performance is one of the chief reasons for my thinking that film exceptional.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 3, 2012 4:27:17 PM PST
C McGhee says:
Sloan: BZ-

>>His performance is one of the chief reasons for my thinking that film exceptional.

>>Agreed.
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  201
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Jun 15, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 3, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions