Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Star Wars VII-IX Official Discussion Forum

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 646 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 12, 2015 12:42:44 PM PDT
"Many Bothans died to bring us this information."

"Rogue One" opens Dec. 16, 2016 ~ Star Wars VIII opens May 26, 2017.
I wonder which story will be better?
Boba Fett and the bounty hunters stealing the Empire's plans to the Death Star seems like old news.
And what about those Bothans?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 22, 2014 8:52:33 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 22, 2014 8:53:12 AM PDT
Ron says:
Yeah, it does makes sense for him to go with a beard for the reasons you've stated. It's gonna seem weird though. We always think of Luke as the boyish adventurer, not the wise old sage.

Posted on Aug 22, 2014 8:19:59 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Luke Skywalker is going to have a beard ala Obi Wan. That's a small detail that the EU never did, but which makes perfect sense. Most (but not all) of the older human Jedi shown in Eps. 1-6 wore beards. And it covers up Mark Hamill's poorly aging baby face.

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 2:10:21 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
I want to know why Billy Dee Williams is not returning, you have not heard his name mentioned at all, I find it hard to believe that he would have turned down the oppurtunity, what is up with that?

Posted on Aug 17, 2014 12:44:31 PM PDT
Ron says:
A new hope?! Or a phantom menace?

http://comicbook.com/blog/2014/08/16/exclusive-original-unaltered-cut-of-star-wars-trilogy-to-be-rele/

If this is true, maybe I'll take back what I said about Disney.......maybe.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 7:18:35 PM PDT
Goal Hum says:
"should any of us be surprised if he ignores the EU canon?"

I hope that he will ignore it.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 7:07:37 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
I am trying to have faith, the new film will be set 30 years after the events of ROTJ, that being said I would say that it is in the time frame of "New Jedi Order" timeline in the EU, because I have not read these (yet), I can't say, but given the fact that J.J. Abrams didn't keep with the "Star Trek" canon....should any of us be surprised if he ignores the EU canon?

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 12:05:12 PM PDT
Ron says:
I'm with you W.T.. I really am. I'll be honest...I'm not a fan of most of the EU except for the books you cited as well as a handful of others. It would have been great to get the Thrawn trilogy on film especially. I remember reading it as a kid and easily imagining how it could look on the big screen. If only it had been attempted while the actors were still the same age as their characters during that era.

As for wiping out the distant history EU... I can only assume they're planning a movie that takes place during that time. And again, they don't want to shell out $$$$

I gotta say I don't like anything Disney has done with Star Wars so far. It seems they're playing off nostalgia to sell this new movie. Sorry, but it's gonna take more than a puppet walking behind JJ Abrams to give me hope about these movies.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 5:11:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 15, 2014 6:48:43 AM PDT
W.T. says:
If they had just removed the EU stuff from "The New Jedi Order" and beyond, that would have given the screenwriters wide flexibility without tossing out everything. It would have maintained the Solo family unit, the Thrawn trilogy (the best Star Wars story ever written), etc, but it would have allowed total flexibility going forward.

And how does it help future writers to toss out the distant history of the Jedi? Those stories pretty much existed on an island by themselves, but they gave the Jedi a history that made them feel more real.

But the worst? Why in the name of hell couldn't they keep Brian Daley's legendary Han Solo novels in canon? That's almost a slap at the memory of a late. great writer who really made a small, but very important contribution to making Star Wars great the first time around (he wrote the aforementioned Han Solo trilogy as well as the legendary Star Wars radio dramas, which were better than the movies, frankly).

From what I hear, some regular Star Wars writers are not entirely happy about this development. If I were Timothy Zahn, I wouldn't touch Star Wars again with a ten-foot Gaffi stick. That said, I hope some of the writers begin to "sneak" things back into canon as they write future novels.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2014 2:40:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2014 4:43:44 AM PDT
Ron says:
I get where you're coming from. But in fairness to the filmmakers, you can't build upon stories established in the Expanded Universe if most people aren't aware of them. With that being said, I'm sure canning the EU had more to do with not having to pay royalties to any of the writers than it did with telling a story.

Posted on Aug 13, 2014 6:16:23 AM PDT
W.T. says:
Now that the entire Extended Universe has been jettisoned, I'm almost dreading the new movies. I fear the characters will be strangers instead of old friends, as everything they've lived through in the last two decades no longer happened. Will Han and Leia still have their kids? Will they still even be married? Without the family dynamic that was built up exclusively in the EU, I wonder if I'll recognize these people...

In reply to an earlier post on May 2, 2014 5:14:39 AM PDT
Tony says:
RE. I have no idea. I do know George Lucas has little to nothing to do with the new installments coming out though.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 10:53:18 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Baron Sardonicus

Count me in as the fifth member of this small group. I liked Crystal Skull up until the interdemensional aliens awakening sci-fi sequence near the end. I didn't think something like that belonged in an Indy film. Till then, though, I had a hoot and still like it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 5:45:41 PM PDT
Re. What are they going to do to with the Star Wars universe that would justify the existence of a new movie?

Didn't Lucas have an outline for nine films at some point?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 5:43:46 PM PDT
Carrie Fisher is still funny with that deliciously sardonic and wry outlook. She was a hoot on a "30 Rock" episode some years back, and she appeared as herself on IFC's series "Dinner for Five" (really interesting show).

The prequels will seem better after this one? (You mean they'll seem decent, haha.) I think we're jumping ahead too quickly.

I liked Indy's "Cystal Skull" movie-- but I'm in the teensy group of four people who felt that way.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 5:38:31 PM PDT
Geezer fight, I love it.

Posted on May 1, 2014 2:14:26 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 1, 2014 2:17:08 PM PDT
Tony says:
I already like three things about this movie but have one reservation/question.

Three Things: The director, bringing back the three main cast members (luke, leia, han solo), and casting unknowns for the new leads.

Reservation/Question: The script. What are they going to do to with the Star Wars universe that would justify the existence of a new movie?

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 11:17:54 AM PDT
Roman85 says:
Still not sure I want to see an aged Luke, Han, & Leia...recent interviews with Fisher & Hamill show them not in the best of shape, neither has aged well, even Ford is getting long in the tooth, as I said in a previous post, people who want to see these characters again only think they want to see them again...with the prequels we didn't have to worry about that, I think the prequels will be better in most people's eyes after this new film, we saw that with "Indiana Jones/Temple of Doom" after "Crystal Skull"....hopefully I am wrong, but I doubt it.

In reply to an earlier post on May 1, 2014 7:08:12 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
No, that's a great idea! Han and Luke are at the senior citizens center on Tattooine, and they get into a tiff. Han has his walker, and Luke has a cane, and it's a clash of aluminum against aluminum instead of light sabers dueling!

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 7:25:52 PM PDT
The inclusion of the trio of Hamill, Fisher, and Ford will satisfy diehard classic Star Wars enthusiasts (as will the appearances of the two droids and Chewie).

I heard that Max Von Sydow will be in it; he should be a nice addition. Such a cinema legend, with solid acting chops.

It would be hilarious if Fisher, Hamill and Ford were only featured very briefly in the upcoming film, like if they played a trio of senior citizens sitting at the coffee shop next to Tosche Station.
Just kidding.

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 30, 2014 7:04:48 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
Sounds about right. Old Han Solo will be just about as wrinkly as Old Spock was.

Posted on Apr 29, 2014 7:43:37 PM PDT
Roman85 says:
Well, it has been confirmed that Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher & Harrison Ford will be in the new film along with some other actors I have never heard of.....should be interesting, I get the feeling they will not be at the forefront of the film, I bet J.J. Abrams will give them the same kind of appearance that he gave Leornard Nimoy in the new "Star Trek" films

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 14, 2014 12:11:13 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 14, 2014 12:13:13 PM PDT
ozzy says:
It was a mistake that's all...

In reply to an earlier post on Apr 3, 2014 6:48:32 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2014 6:50:01 AM PDT
W.T. says:
The difference is that Indiana Jones was still the star of that movie, while (reading between the lines) it sounds like the "big three" will only be supporting characters in the new Star Wars trilogy. Much more than mere cameos, but not carrying the movie.

For the record, though, I would love to see a stand-alone Star Wars Old Republic movie. Something showing the Jedi at their peak, not the waning days of the order that we saw in Eps. 1-3.

Posted on Apr 3, 2014 6:08:37 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Apr 3, 2014 6:15:16 AM PDT
Roman85 says:
You know I have been doing a lot of reading on the "Old Republic" novels, books like "Revan", "Fatal Alliance", "Decieved", & "Annihilation" & especially the "Darth Bane" trilogy of books are just begging to be made into films, I really believe it is a mistake for Disney to attempt to bring back the the original three characters Luke, Leia, & Han Solo, people only think they want to see these characters again, I mean, we got another Indiana Jones & look how that turned out, all you haters were turned off by Ford's aging, do we really need to see an aged Luke, Han, & Leia?....if they are in cameos, then that might work, but they had their day, it is time to flesh out some new characters & the "Old Republic" is where it is at, don't get me wrong, I like Luke, Han, & Leia as much as the next fan, but I don't want to see these characters again, those who do only think they do, but they don't, the last Indy movie proved that point, & don't give me "it was the aliens" story....you gotta do better than that, maybe I am ranting, but I just feel Disney & J.J. Abrams are going in the wrong direction.....I hope I am wrong.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 26 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  50
Total posts:  646
Initial post:  Nov 5, 2012
Latest post:  20 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions