The top ten anything thread

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 21, 2014 10:33:00 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
I really Liked Regarding Henry.
I really liked The Graduate
I really liked Working Girl.
The Graduate seems slow to me now, but that is because I watched it some many times years ago. Regarding Henry is an under-rated movie and a very good performance by Harrison Ford.
Working Girl was a really fine film to watch. I loved it when the underdog wins. Doesn't happen often in real life, but that makes it even better to see it well portrayed on the screen. Melanie Griffith did a fine job and her supporting cast, Joan Cusack, Sigorney Weaver etc., were all right on. Once again, Harrison Ford is very good.

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 6:21:03 AM PST
Top Ten Words starting with La...

10. Lagerphone (meaning: a percussion instrument with bottlecaps loosely nailed to pole)
9. Labeorphily (collection and study of beer bottle labels)
8. Lampadomancy (divination by flame)
7. Latitudinous (broad or wide interpretation)
6. Labtebricole (living in holes)
5. Lackaday (expression of regret or deprecation)
4. Laicisation (process of returning a clergyman to lay status)
3. Lacuna (a blank space or missing part)
2. Lallation (childish speech; mispronunciation of speech sounds)
1. Laodicean (lukewarm or half-hearted)

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 6:06:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 21, 2014 6:22:52 AM PST
Top Ten Movies of 1954 (that I would pay no less than $25 to see on the big screen in good prints):

1. Adventures of Robinson Crusoe
2. Touchez Pas au Grisbi
3. Vera Cruz
4. Pushover
5. The Far Country
6. Ali Baba and the Forty Thieves
7. Johnny Guitar
8. Rear Window
9. Senso
10. River of No Return, or, Late Chrysanthemums

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 6:05:59 AM PST
Top Ten Movies of 2014 (that I wouldn't see unless paid a minimum of $25):

1. 300: Rise of an Empire
2. A Million Ways to Die in the West
3. Transformers: Age of Extinction
4. Maleficent
5. X-Men: Days of Future Past
6. The Dog Who Saved Easter
7. The Judge
8. Lucy
9. Sin City: A Dame to Kill For
10. The Other Woman

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 5:46:38 AM PST
One of my favourite Mike Nichols' films is Regarding Henry. Brilliant film.

RIP Mike.

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 5:31:22 AM PST
Did Dr. John sing the theme tune to Blossom?

Posted on Nov 21, 2014 12:26:02 AM PST
Dr. John is seventy-four today. Born Malcolm John Rebennack Jr., November 21, 1940 in New Orleans, Louisiana, U.S.A.

Top Ten Dr. John Songs Featured in Movies or TV:

1. "Right Place, Wrong Time" (featured in 'The Lumberjack' and others)
2. "Sweet Rider" (from 'Skateboard')
3. "When the Battle Is Over" ('The Sopranos')
4. "Gris-Gris Gumbo Ya Ya" ('The Brave One')
5. "I Don't Wanna Know" ('True Blood')
6. "Down in New Orleans" ('The Princess and the Frog')
7. "Ac-Cent-Tchu-Ate The Positive" ('Mrs. Winterbourne')
8. "Makin' Whoopee" (Sleepless in Seattle')
9. "Frosty the Snowman" ('A Very Special Christmas with Beavis and Butt-Head')
10. "I'm Just A Lucky So-and-So" ('He Said, She Said')

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014 11:31:09 PM PST
Hah, I knew I made an error. 'The Fortune' was supposed to be only #4, and instead of 'Carnal Knowledge' taking its rightful place at 7 I wrote in 'The Fortune' again.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 9:20:45 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014 9:24:15 PM PST
Tony,
I don't tend to see films as "dated" (per our discussion a few weeks ago). However, I may go along with you on this one. In 1967 I went to the theatre five times to see "The Graduate." I was absolutely crazy about this film. Many of the lines are still funny, the delivery of the actors spot on, cutting of the film is still effective, but times and attitudes do change and I have to admit it's not the same film I experienced in my tender youth. I wouldn't argue with your top 3 list either. It would be close to mine on any given day.

Of course, how different would any Top 10 list be when Nichols only made 22 films? It would be interesting--or not--to see 15 people do a Top 10 Mike Nichols Films list.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 20, 2014 6:47:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014 6:48:30 PM PST
Tony says:
Jeff: I tend to prefer your list more than the other commentor's except for "The Graduate"(a bit dated for me). "Woolf", "Working Girl", and "The Birdcage" might be his best films; to me at least.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 1:22:14 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014 1:22:40 PM PST
Top 10 Mike Nichols films (in no particular order) even if I wasn't the first to think of it.

Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
The Graduate
Working Girl
Heartburn
Silkwood
Catch-22
Biloxi Blues
The Fortune
Carnal Knowledge
The Birdcage

Thanks, Mike.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 1:13:21 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014 1:18:43 PM PST
Nos. 4 and 7 were very similar movies.

But I know it's difficult to find 10 when he only made 22 films.

Posted on Nov 20, 2014 5:44:20 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 20, 2014 11:31:37 PM PST
Top ten movies of Mike Nichols (born Mikhail Igor Peschkowsky; November 6, 1931 - November 19, 2014):

10. The Day of the Dolphin
9. Wit
8. Biloxi Blues
7. Carnal Knowledge
6. Who's Afraid of Virginia Woolf?
5. Heartburn
4. The Fortune
3. Wolf
2. Charlie Wilson's War
1. Silkwood

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 3:09:29 PM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Jonick: Thanks for exposing yourself--so to speak--I have seen both Hondo--a number of times, on of Wayne's better efforts and based on a Louis L'Amour book--and I liked "The Big Clock" but it has been years and years since I watched it last.

Watching "O Lucky Man" I did not notice that many of the actors were doubling until over half way through the movie. It may have been when the band was playing/singing "Everybody Goes Through Changes" that I noticed the doubling. The surprise when I did notice it just added to my pleasure in the film.

I have not seen "If" either and am not terribly interested in seeing it. I may have seen more of the movies on your list than I admitted earlier, but I simply cannot remember them base on a title alone. Memory is shot to heck. Still these forums for movies are fascinating to me most of the time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2014 9:40:25 AM PST
Budas Root says:
Never mind, my bad. It is Secret Beyond the Door... Ha!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2014 9:37:12 AM PST
Budas Root says:
Jonick, number 2 is "Secret Behind the Door," sorry but you got another Lang.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 17, 2014 8:24:45 AM PST
Hey, Larry. It's Jonathan Patrick here (Jon←→ick).
Price was rich in talent. First time I saw 'O Lucky Man!' I hadn't seen the forerunner Malcolm McDowell and Lindsay Anderson made (If....), which some prefer to the more ambitious 'O Lucky Man!'. And the first time I saw it I didn't even know Price was the same guy from The Animals.

Of the last three movie lists you mean the 1969 and the "Beyond" titles?
They all exist. All the 1969 domestic ones are readily available on video except 'Law and Order' and 'Back and Forth', which are harder to find but not impossible.
Of the foreign titles probably only the Ferreri, Chabrol and Rohmer are available on DVD in the USA.
I know all the 'Beyond''s are on video, save for 'Beyond Glory' (Alan Ladd and Donna Reed) which is directed by John Farrow, one of the forgotten greats (husband of Tarzan's Jane, father of Mia Farrow) who also directed 'The Big Clock', 'Hondo', and 'His Kind of Woman'. Sadly, there's quite a few Farrow's that are not on video, including the excellent Faustian film noir fable 'Alias Nick Beal', starring Tommy Mitchell and Ray Milland.

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 7:37:56 AM PST
Larry Kelley says:
Jonick: Clicked to see if I could figure out who you were-noticed that you have the album "O Lucky Man" listed as a favorite. I liked the movie, was fascinated by it, and loved the album, particularly liked the piano piece by Alan Price, "Pastoral". I have had the album on Vinyl, on Cassette, but never got around to buying it on CD. I have gone to youtube several times trying to find Pastoral and finally it is on there so I got to listen to it for the first time in years just the other day. Of your last 3 lists of movies, which I assume actually exist, I have seen or heard of 4 of them. I feel very left out, alone, exiled, snubbed, etc.

Posted on Nov 17, 2014 12:50:27 AM PST
Ten best movies with "Beyond" in the title:

1. Beyond the Valley of the Dolls
2. Secret Beyond the Door...
3. Beyond Glory (1948)
4. Beyond the Forest
5. Beyond a Reasonable Doubt (1956)
6. Beyond Rangoon
7. From Beyond the Grave
8. It! The Terror from Beyond Space
9. Beyond the Time Barrier
10. Beyond Mombasa

Ten worst movies with "Beyond" in the title:

1. Beyond Therapy
2. Lawnmower Man 2: Beyond Cyberspace
3. Beyond Borders
4. Beyond the Law
5. Beyond the Stars
6. Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome
7. Beach Babes from Beyond
8. Beyond the Sea
9. Battle Beyond the Stars
10. Beyond Re-Animator

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 11:56:10 PM PST
Mike Gordan says:
Top 10 funniest death scenes in movies (intentional or otherwise):

1. Five Shots, Five Screams (Turkish Karate Girl): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAdniWncWu4
2. Aim for the Bushes (The Other Guys): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=epI36-fRvEU
3. Any Death from the Final Destination series
4. 1:30-1:55 (Sharknado): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ARpJBSTmcJ0
5. Freak Gasoline Fight Accident (Zoolander): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_SSbFjK_gnY
6. The Killer Rabbit (Monty Python and the Holy Grail): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tgj3nZWtOfA
7. Crew Explosion (MacGruber): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_jxFXpNZjA8
8. Shot Marvin in the Face (Pulp Fiction): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LBBni_-tMNs
9. Poor Dogs (A Fish Called Wanda): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qguwpiDbMws
10.Fiona's Bird Song (Shrek): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=56PdNaZEsrU

Hope you can yuck it up to these hilarious death scenes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2014 11:11:18 AM PST
BR: My o my. I hadn't caught up on some of the recent material on this thread, and you really went into a paranoid snit on 11/11. I'll cite only one instance: "Emma is a guy who feels safer as a woman. "

I've corresponded with Emma off these threads, and I can assure that you she is not a man.

Let me be blunt. Only one other poster on here displays the same unwonted arrogance, combined with genuine ignorance and poor taste, that you do, and even he isn't as much as a raving paranoiac as are you. I echo Pastor--get some help. And, if you have indeed undergone Freudian analysis as you have stated--get a lawyer, and sue for malpractice.

You really are a pretentious little squirt of a thing, aren't you?

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 16, 2014 11:03:46 AM PST
BR: How curious that the only historian you would mention is Walter Benjamin (whose dictum has far more to do with his Communist / leftist politics than good historical analysis) whose thesis exactly fits the idea " leftists as perversely needing misery to fuel their ideas of history". And yes, I am aware that WB left the Communist party in disgust with Stalin--but never left its ideas.

Yet more proof that you uncritically accept all the dicta of the Left.

Posted on Nov 16, 2014 2:05:51 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 16, 2014 2:06:18 AM PST]

Posted on Nov 15, 2014 2:47:03 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 16, 2014 12:21:39 PM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 15, 2014 2:41:31 AM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 16, 2014 3:33:05 AM PST]
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 199 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  101
Total posts:  4964
Initial post:  May 16, 2012
Latest post:  2 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 7 customers

Search Customer Discussions