Industrial-Sized Deals TextBTS15 Shop Women's Handbags Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon Beach House $5 Off Fire TV Stick Grocery pivdl pivdl pivdl  Amazon Echo Starting at $99 Kindle Voyage Nintendo Digital Games Shop Back to School with Amazon Back to School with Amazon Outdoor Recreation Baby Sale
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Favorite Arnie Movie

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 146 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 5:34:00 AM PDT
Balok says:
@K. Q. Jackson:

> whenever I think about Total Recall

Not that the movie didn't have its moments (it's certainly a highlight in Sharon Stone's career, if I may be permitted the luxury of damning with faint praise), whenever I think of it, I think of how much better the story it was based on was, that if you were exposed to the Martian surface without a spacesuit, you wouldn't explode, and that Mars's two moons don't hang in the sky as they are shown in the movie -- Phobos crosses the sky from west to east in something like four hours.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 7:03:26 AM PDT
Balok says:
@Robert Bykowski:

> 'True Lies'. Easily.

Chacun a son gout, I suppose.

> Great supporting performances from Tom Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis

If the best thing about your movie is the supporting performances from Tom Arnold and Jamie Lee Curtis, your movie is in serious trouble.

The only time that I've felt as bad for an actor (not the character portrayed, but the depths to which the actor had to degrade himself in order to make a living) as I did for Art Malik in _True Lies_ was my reaction to the sadistic treatment Anna Chancellor received at the hands of all concerned (primarily the writer and the director) in _Four Weddings and a Funeral_.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 7:10:20 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> if you were exposed to the Martian surface without a spacesuit, you wouldn't explode
> and that Mars's two moons don't hang in the sky as they are shown in the movie -- Phobos crosses the sky from west to east in something like four hours.

Who cares? I suppose your next target is saying they shouldn't be speaking English in The Sound of Music, or there shouldn't be a loud voice in the background saying things in GoodFellas.
It's called drama. If you want reality, go live life.

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 9:01:29 AM PDT
Roman85 says:
how about this one......Arnold to Ronny Cox...

"I got to admit Coheagen....it is the best mindf*** yet.....after being told why he is there.

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 9:42:45 AM PDT
R0cK-N-RoLLA says:
"Oh, you think you're bad, huh? You're a [bleeping] choir boy compared to me! A CHOIR BOY!"

End of Days

Posted on Oct 31, 2012 10:27:46 AM PDT
The Villian with Ann Margaret.....a comedy kind of like the coyote vs roadrunner

In reply to an earlier post on Oct 31, 2012 11:46:05 PM PDT
Balok says:
@D. Mok:

>> if you were exposed to the Martian surface without a spacesuit, you wouldn't explode
>> and that Mars's two moons don't hang in the sky as they are shown in the movie -- Phobos crosses
>> the sky from west to east in something like four hours.

> Who cares? I suppose your next target is saying they shouldn't be speaking English in The Sound of
> Music, or there shouldn't be a loud voice in the background saying things in GoodFellas.
> It's called drama. If you want reality, go live life.

I have no problem in principle with dramas that deviate from reality -- e.g. I can enjoy Shakespeare's history plays even though they are by and large pure propaganda, I don't mind science fiction movies in which explosions are heard in a vacuum (even though Kubrick proved that you can make a dramatically valid SF film in which no noise is heard in a vacuum), etc. I admit to a personal difficulty with "dramas" that violate their own premises; for example, I thought that _The Matrix_ was insanely stupid not just because it takes place in a world lacking the Second Law of Thermodynamics, but because the premise of the movie is self-contradictory.

I cannot help noticing that you failed to respond to my other criticism of _Total Recall_, namely, that it is not nearly as good as the original story.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 5:59:11 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
> you failed to respond to my other criticism of _Total Recall_, namely, that it is not nearly as good as the original story.

Maybe because I don't care?
Philip K. Dick was a genius. But comparisons to literature are moot. Gone with the Wind is not as good as the book, either, but if you knew anything about film, you'd know that a 1037-page book would never fit onto a 224-page screenplay.

What's next? You're going to say that reality doesn't involve cuts, dissolves and onscreen graphics? Sound in a vacuum. What a pathetic criterion for film quality.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 8:23:38 AM PDT
R0cK-N-RoLLA says:
"Come on Cohaagen, you got what you want. Give deez people ayre!"

Austrian Death Machine - Come On Cohaagen, Give Deez People Ehyar
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ykNy4WV6yzw

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 12:59:48 PM PDT
"You got a lot of guts showing your face around here, Houser."

"Look who's talking?"

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 1:41:25 PM PDT
gambitrmp says:
I think I'll go with Predator partly because it introduced one of my favorite mosters of all time. I like most of his movies so there would probably be plenty of candidated if not for that factor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:43:24 PM PDT
gambitrmp says:
Sloan,

That sully sequence was good.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 1:47:24 PM PDT
gambitrmp says:
D. Mok,

End of Days is one I wish I could forget.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 2:38:44 PM PDT
I have to second that. It was interesting because this was the first time we ever saw Arnold get manhandled (well, alien-handled) almost to death.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 3:16:47 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
> It was interesting because this was the first time we ever saw Arnold get manhandled (well, alien-handled) almost to death.

He was beaten up in Conan the Destroyer, by both Bombaata (Wilt Chamberlain) and Dagoth (Andre the Giant).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:36:45 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 7:37:37 PM PDT
Still he came pretty close. Not to mention he literally had no chance of winning in a straight fight. There was no "turning the tide" in that fight. You can't say he didn't get out of that situation by luck.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:48:49 PM PDT
D. Mok says:
Actually, Conan the Barbarian was also a straight loss but for pure luck. It took a literal deus ex machina (Valeria's ghost) to get Conan out of certain death at the end of the fight in the dunes.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 9:49:59 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I thought it was better than Purple Rose of Cairo at least in the fact that Jack Slater 4 looks like a real example of the type of movie that's being portrayed. The only discordant note is that Cartoon Cat which wasn't very good use of the budget for a two-off joke. Action movies have their own reality base and an animated character wouldn't be living in their universe.

Contrast this with the title movie in Purple Rose. Movies of that era tend to have a simple plot with simple conflicts often with Rich and poor interactions and boy meets girl/boy loses girl/boy gets girl plot dynamic much discussed in this uproarious comedy: Boy Meets Girl [VHS]. (Apparently on availible on VHS.) Insted it sems to be one of those 50s European films Woody like so much if it was adapted by 30's Hollywood under the Hays Code. The only thing that works in the movie is Jeff Daniels dual performance, particularly as the actor.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 11:50:35 AM PDT
R0cK-N-RoLLA says:
"Get your ass to Mahs!"

Arnocorps - Total Recall
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nVvA_nErFcA

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 7:40:53 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:41:14 AM PDT
Bill Duke's character Mac had some memorable moments in Predator. Especially when he went ape$#!+ when Blaine got killed and he picked up that minigun. I bet to this day nothing grows in that area after that scene. lOl

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 7:49:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 7:54:48 AM PDT
R0cK-N-RoLLA says:
Yeah, Bill Duke was great in Predator.

Sergeant Mac Eliot: "Long Tall Sally, she built sweet, she got everything, that Uncle John need. Aw baby, I'm gonna have me some fun, I'm gonna have me some fun, I'm gonna have me some fun."

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:06:57 AM PDT
Not to mention what happened to that poor boar he stabbed to death. lOl My friends and I still think that whatever happened to Billy had to have been the worst thing in the world because we didn't see what happened to him and when we saw him dead he was pale white.

Posted on Nov 3, 2012 8:35:09 AM PDT
D. Mok says:
"You're ghostin' us, mother&^%$er...you give away our position one more time, I'll bleed you, real quiet, leave you here. Got that?"

Don't forget Cooke in Commando.

"This Green Beret's gonna kick your big a%$."
"I eat Green Berets for breakfast. And right now I'm VERY HUNGRY!"
"I can't believe this macho bull&^%$!"
"These guys eat too much red meat!"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 12:52:18 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 3, 2012 12:58:46 PM PDT
R0cK-N-RoLLA says:
"There's something out there, and it ain't no man."

Billy was a brave dude to stand alone against the Predator. That's why he was so white when they found him. He didn't know what the heck he was dealing with when he first confronted it. Plus, all he had was a knife...at least the Yakuza guy from Predators had that Samurai sword when he made his final stand.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 4:46:43 PM PDT
You forgot the most important part of that line.

"We're all gonna die."
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  39
Total posts:  146
Initial post:  Sep 21, 2012
Latest post:  Feb 2, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 1 customer

Search Customer Discussions