Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Your Review of the Last Movie You Watched

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 176-200 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Dec 29, 2010 6:44:40 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:39 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 7:11:39 AM PST
>>"It's the first time I have seen any nudity from Paltrow"<<

So, R N R, that means you haven't seen: 'Shakespeare in Love', 'Mrs. Parker and the Vicious Circle', 'The Royal Tenenbaums', 'Moonlight and Valentino', 'Flesh and Bone', 'Great Expectations ', or 'Sylvia' ( http://www.celebritymoviearchive.com/tour/movie.php/9118 ), etc.?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 7:16:12 AM PST
She was terribly miscast as Sylvia Plath, though. She should have simply been the body double for an actress with more gravity than a leaf in a puddle.
Sylvia Plath was a genius. It takes a somewhat more capable actor to play genius convincingly.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 7:18:53 AM PST
re: 'Winter's Bone' - see it for yourself, Hikari. Or don't.
It's one of the better movies I saw last Summer. It was a dull Summer, so maybe I thought more of it than was really there.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 8:59:57 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Feb 23, 2011 8:31:35 AM PST]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 9:03:43 AM PST
Actually I did see "The Royal Tennenbaums" but I most likely fell asleep before her nude scene came up because I can't remember having seen it.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 9:27:43 AM PST
I can sympathize, as it's Wes Anderson's dullest movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 9:46:07 AM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on Aug 8, 2011 10:07:06 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 29, 2010 1:40:25 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
Wow, so that's what people who like "Winter's Bone" sounds like.

Did you get the meaning of the title, or was that just more pretention?

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 1:45:20 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
SPOILER ALERT*** Don't read if you plan on seeing "Winter's Bone"

What did we learn from this movie? Guy "talks" about druggie hillbillies so they kill him. Yeah? And what? Don't hang out with stupid hillbillies, is that the message here?

That whole place is covered in mud, dull people, dreary existence, nobody is happy, everyone is complaining, stupidity is the rule of the day...

Reminds me of something Sam Kenison once said, "Yeah, we got deserts here, we just don't live in them!"

Posted on Dec 29, 2010 2:04:07 PM PST
Grant says:
Last movie I watched...

PICTURE SNATCHER (1933) James Cagney, Ralph Bellamy, Patricia Ellis, Alice White, Robert E. O'Connor.

This was a very entertaining early Cagney flick by Warners. Lots of great pre-code fun. Cagney is an absolute delight in this as we get heaping samples of the "Gangster" the "Hero" and the "Comedian" all rolled into one entertaining character. Cagney is a former racketeer fresh out of Sing Sing who becomes a photographer for a scandal sheet, trying to work his way up to reporter much to the chagrin of his now directionless former gang.

Cagney sinks his teeth into the job with the same ruthless tenacity as he did the rackets, willing to slap around and bed a couple femme fatales to get what he wants. In fact, there's one femme fatale willing to slap him around to get what she wants! Helping him out is scandal sheet reporter Ralph Bellamy and nice girl journalism student Ellis who happens to be the daughter of a police lieutenant and former enemy of Cagney.

Cagney attempts to impress his editor by conning his way into an execution to take a photograph of a female death row prisoner who is scheduled to get the electric chair. But this is a major no no, even the reporters know that and when Cagney gets the photo and the reporters and prison guards find out, they all try to stop him from getting the film to the presses.

This is a terrific, fast paced, amusingly cynical film with a wonderfully frenetic performance by Cagney. After watching it, I have to say that it's now one of my favorite Cagney films ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:57:01 AM PST
rick tan says:
J. P. Baker says: one of the better movies I saw last Summer

this. JPB dawg tell them nerds what it is.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 2:00:34 AM PST
rick tan says:
J. P. McDonald says: Winter's Bone

yusss.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 2:20:06 AM PST
Black Swan 9/10

This movie was near perfect. Natalie Portman was incredible as Nina Sayers- a ballerina who descends into madness after winning the role of Swan Queen in a production of Swan Lake. Darren Aronofsky directs a brilliant thriller which is often tense and horrific. Vincent Cassel and Barbara Hershey also give noteworthy performances as Nina's director and overbearing mother, respectively, although Mila Kunis seems to be the lone supporting nominee this awards season. It's definitely worth seeing. I've seen it twice.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 4:26:58 AM PST
C McGhee says:
D Duarte- Yeah, we got deserts here, we just don't live in them!"

I haven't seen Winter's Bone but I'm certain other people do live in deserts & a few by birth or inability to withstand much human socializing. Seems like they & hillbillies should be OK subjects for movies.

>>>What did we learn from this movie?

You might learn a little about a culture different from the one you live in even if it's stereo typical. After all stereo types are generalizations based on a little bit of truth even if they are deceiving when dealing with individuals.

Posted on Dec 30, 2010 11:58:57 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2010 1:19:14 PM PST
Hikari says:
THE KILLER INSIDE ME Starring Casey Affleck, Jessica Alba, Kate Hudson, Ned Beatty

In struggling (and failing) to come up with a star rating for this after viewing it last night, I went to the Amazon reviews to see what other viewers were saying. "The Killer Inside Me" is a true rarity: The '5' star reviews & the '1' star reviews being absolutely evenly split. Nearly the same number of '2', '3' and '4' star reviews as well. There is no resounding opinion one way or the other as regards this movie. In short, viewers don't really know what to make of it. I feel like assigning a 'number' to it is futile & will not try, though I will say that this is easily (easily) one of the most disturbing film experiences of my lifetime.

Casey Affleck cements his rising reputation as the Affleck to watch in front of the camera. Here he plays a character the polar opposite of his upright private investigator from "Gone Baby Gone". He plays a West Texas deputy sheriff in the 1950s whose shiny badge, white 10-gallon hat and neat, pressed white shirts hide a dark secret: this lawman is actually a serial pedophile rapist whose tendencies will turn even darker during the course of the film. Introduced to sadomasochistic sex acts by a female teenage influence in his childhood (babysitter? older sister? Not made clear), he turns to molesting younger neighborhood girls as a teen. Only his older brother, who catches him in the act one day, knows his true proclivities. Fast-forward years later, the older brother (sent to prison for his younger brother's crimes) is released, only to die under mysterious circumstances while working for a local construction magnate (Ned Beatty). Our deputy sheriff is tasked with running the local prostitute (Jessica Alba) Beatty's son & heir has been seeing out of town . . .only our cowboy Lou starts seeing her himself. The prostitute reawakens the dark passions that have (mostly) been slumbering in Lou & their passionate assignations grow increasingly violent. There is a lot of grotesque violence in this film, some of routine (guys getting shot or knifed) and some of it less routine (Lou reducing the women in his life to hamburger with gloved fists or shod feet.) Most of us have never actually witnessed a person getting beaten to death, but director Michael Winterbottom pulls no punches, literally, in giving us the closest cinematic approximation he can create of that event. This may be only 'created' violence on a movie set, but it is profoundly, viscerally shocking all the same. Watching this violence onscreen, I noted that it it makes two of my more violent screen outings of recent memory, "No Country for Old Men" and "Girl with the Dragon Tattoo" seem quite nearly like Sunday School picnics in comparison. Be forewarned that there are visuals here that will turn your stomach.

The plot seemed to be comprised of long stretches of mumbling or driving around in the dry hot sun, punctuated by bursts of this startling violence, so in that respect it is uneven & not always engaging. The parts that are riveting also sicken . . .you'd like to be able to look away, but can't. As to the performances, they are top-drawer, as unsettling as the plot is. Like another 1950s period piece, L.A. Confidential, this film excels in a meticulous recreation of that earlier era, down to the vintage automobiles and a fantastic soundtrack. (This movie also shares with L.A. Confidential Simon Baker in a supporting role, here as the district attorney investigating Lou after women in his life keep turning up dead.) The 'look' is spot-on . ..we just don't always enjoy what we are looking at. Affleck has already received his share of accolades for this role; I want to give a special mention to Kate Hudson, who is a revelation in this film in the small supporting role of Lou's fiancee. As a brunette, decked out in period fashions, Hudson is light-years removed from her bubbly, lightweight ditzy blonde rom-com persona, and exhibits real acting presence . . .the first, beyond sheer 'cuteness' I have seen from her. Her character also must go to a very grim place, and does . . .I wouldn't have thought Kate had it in her, but she surprised me. Bravo.

I will tell you neither to see this nor not to. Be advised that if you do, you may find your sleep disturbed. If what this film has to offer artistically & thematically is worth that price, that is up to each individual viewer to judge.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 12:59:08 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
C. McGhee,

If you can learn something from watching Jerry Springer, then yes, you might learn something from watching "Winter's Bone."

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:12:13 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2010 1:18:35 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
The Killer Inside Me 3/5 stars

I recently saw it on cable too, and I have to give it credit for a few things...

1. First sex scene between Alba and Affleck was hot! I've never known a sexy woman who didn't enjoy a good spanking as foreplay, and it really got Alba's character's motor running.

2. It didn't just imply or talk about brutal violence, it showed it. To be really fair, it wasn't as explicit as some European movies, but for an American movie, it showed much more than the average violence fare that we're feed on a daily basis.

3. Movies with unsympathetic protagonists are a very hard sell, but this movie was willing to go there, and I respect that.

4. This movie attempts to get inside of the head of a cold blooded killer. We, as a society, tend to dehumanize killers and others we deem to be "unlike" us all the time. I believe that "understanding" is valuable to all of us, as opposed to dehumanizing.

My criticism of the movie is that it wasn't gritty enough, in the sense that it still "felt" like a movie rather than a slice of realism.

Also, I still didn't understand Affleck's character, even after all was said and done; I felt we as the audience was still on the outside with him. Look at the series, Dexter, for an example of a serial killer that we, the audience, can understand.

Also, "No Country for Old Men," that movie got me to actually like, and somewhat root for, the killer. He was a fun, funny, and entertaining character. Not so much with Affleck.

If you want to see a dark twisted protagonist and Alba in some juicy sex scenes, I recommend this movie.

But it's ultimately unsatisfying in it's lack of realism and with it's unsympathetic protagonist, i.e., it doesn't really give the audience anyone to root for.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:33:07 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:44 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:43:38 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 30, 2010 1:50:14 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
tarek,

sounds like 3.5/15 or 1.17/5

PS--I doubt that we actually saw Alba's butt, she prolly had a body double...which to me is stupid, because she obviously has a nice butt, but you know how some actresses are, they think they actually loose something by people admiring their flesh.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:45:56 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:44 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:49:09 PM PST
bella7 says:
Jessica Alba was in "Meet the 'Faulkers'".

She is in her bra and panties. From a female perspective, I would give her butt a 4/5. She looks good for just having a baby recently!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:52:28 PM PST
D. Duarte says:
tarek,

when you rate something 0.5 out of 5, it implies that there are 5 points possible... therefore it could have gotten 5 for the story, 5 for the butt and 5 for the acting...which, by your logic would leave a...

15/5?

Get it now?

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:54:52 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:45 AM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 30, 2010 1:56:25 PM PST
[Deleted by Amazon on May 19, 2011 10:45:45 AM PDT]
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  272
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Nov 17, 2010
Latest post:  Mar 1, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 17 customers

Search Customer Discussions