Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The World's Worst Discussion Thread...Ever.

This discussion has reached the maximum length permitted, and cannot accept new replies. Start a new discussion

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 226-250 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:15:48 PM PDT
Rock~N~Rolla says:
"Its like someone mentioned Kiss earlier. I mean, do these guys have a single thought in their heads?"

Not for the most part. That's why they're so cool. Life gets to be boring and scary when you think about it all too much. KISS knew this and they gave us mindless, harmless Rock 'N' Roll fun to help us forget our troubles for a little while. People have marketed much worse things in life that don't have 1/10th the therapeutic value, that's for sure.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:18:15 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>"disabled on certain computers"<

You can try the method Wm. Smith mentioned: type "character" in the ''search programs and files'' box at the start menu, but make sure that "num lk scr lk" (numbers lock) isn't on, if your computer ever has a separate numbers section on the side of the keyboard.
If you don't have that separate "alt" + X option, then it's likely because your keyboard doesn't have a separate numbers pad on the side.
That's as much as I know about that.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:29:05 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
Thomas Stith, re: the Georgedc troll.

You aren't missing anything. Whatever substance there is to "his" posts is designed to provoke a simple, crude reaction. There is no discernible intelligence behind them.
This is the same "guy" who spent nearly a full Month on the Overrated thread typing nothing but `'The Kings Speech' is a queer movie for wankers. Wanker movie` -- or some such, over and over. Always the same ill-thought post, trolling for a reaction.
Clearly a sheltered, possibly demented, existence.
He might be a bot, or he might be a separate account of another user called "douglas" who pops up from time to time.
Likely he is already back on the Politics board (home base of Amazon degenerates) where he is imagining high-fiveing and be carried on the shoulders of a grateful forum, at having disrupted the Movie forum queers.

That is all I know or care about that. I'd put him on ignore if I were you (he only responds with more idiocy, nothing coherent.)

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:30:35 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 16, 2012 3:08:05 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:33:53 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>TAS: "And the amazing thing is that they are All right, all the time and that fact never cancels out the fact that all the others are right too. Amazing, isn't it?"<

And yet, like sporting teams that all have god on their side, some come out way ahead, and some are crushed. Funny, funny thing.
Yes, it's all about showing who's bigger. Dominating the other side, it's not only a game to watch on TV. It's a great part of what makes us who we are. Not so far from the jungle after all.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:39:36 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
TAS: re: Peter Weir

>"When are we going to get another Last Wave instead of more Green Cards?"<

Have you see his latest? The Way Back. Based on Slavomir Rawicz's disputed memoir, originally called The Long Walk: The True Story of a Trek to Freedom.
It's an interesting book, and I think I may finally make the leap to watch it tonight. I hear the movie was dry, and long, and brutal. We'll see.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:42:11 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Is there a feud going on here? I've been in those.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:44:48 PM PDT
rocknrolla: "That's why they're so cool. Life gets to be boring and scary when you think about it all too much"

Well, we will have to part company on this. Mindless music is not something I am much interested in. We need to face the music and dance--as it were--not avoid. But, hey, that's just me. People enjoy what they enjoy. I just don't like rewarding mediocrity--it tends to breed more of the same.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:44:50 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 16, 2012 3:32:50 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:47:57 PM PDT
jpb re idiocy

Funny I never noticed even on the defunct Overrated thread. Just as well I guess.

Its funny because a year or so ago when I was thinking about checking out the movie threads here I was warned not to because I would run into tons of people like the one you describe--but not in those words. Fortunately, for the most part, I have not.

But I know enough to stay far away from the Politics boards.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 2:50:47 PM PDT
Miami Nights says:
OH my, how I wish they make prequels for the Twilight saga. My life would then be complete.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:52:18 PM PDT
JB re The Way Back

Another film I have become out of touch with. I will check it out.

In browsing Amazon I saw two interesting films one called Next Door--Norwegian, I think--and one called In My Skin, described by someone as Cronenbergian. Thinking about checking them out.

I also just found out that Ferrari's bizarre and hilarious Don't Touch the White Women is out--how did I miss that? And a mediocre film that I must rank as a "guilty pleasure", The Strawberry Statement. Obviously a missing link to my idealistic youth. I kind of need to get both of those.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:56:15 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>Thomas Stith says: "Mindless music is not something I am much interested in. We need to face the music and dance--as it were--not avoid."<

I'm not sure what you mean by "mindless music"... most good music isn't very intellectual. It's more about emotional truth than expressing ideas. I was listening to some music last night and arrived at the conclusion that music the disturbs and scares me is a certain criteria for me taking it seriously.
There's music that lulls one into a pleasant mood, music that can energize one into an ecstatic state, and then there is music that can quietly devastate you.
I'm more into that last form. Because I'm one of those wretched ones who's into the `sadcore` genre of antifolk and rock and country. And when it comes to classical, I usually end up listening to Penderecki, G. Crumb, or Satie as much as Schumann, Bach, or Vivaldi.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 2:59:05 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>Miami Nights says:
"OH my, how I wish they make prequels for the Twilight saga. My life would then be complete."<

THat's the spirit!

And while we're at it, George Lucas needs to remake all the first three 'Star Wars' movies so he can give a role to that delightful Jar-Jar creature in each.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:00:27 PM PDT
JB: "like sporting teams that all have god on their side"

Made me think of a pretty decent war film that, for the most part, still holds up: The Longest Day, in which the German general, played by Curt Jurgens mutters, as things get bad for the Nazis, "I sometimes wonder whose side God is on."

Or on Roger Waters' great album (and I try not to use that word very often) "Amused to Death" where he plays an actual interview of someone claiming: "I like War. I like to see if our side is winning or if our side is losing." Yeah, great fun.

It also has a very telling song called "The Bravery of Being Out of Range", which is pretty self-explantory.

I get the same feelng with evangelicals. They prattle on about Jesus this and Jesus that and do not seem to realize that a majority of the people in the world do not agree with them. But are just as convinced of their religious views. Which doesn't make anyone wrong, of course. But it reall should give one pause.

Did you ever see the original "The Wicker Man", the one with Edward Woodward? I think its subtext about religious beliefs--all of them--made it an even more interesting film than is first apparent. I mean, if Christopher Lee's peoples' beliefs are obviously wrong, then doesn't it follow that Edward Woodwards are just as empty?

"First I want to thank God for giving me this victory..."

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:02:45 PM PDT
"And what is a good queer movie for wankers? Any suggestions?"

Now there is a question that makes this thread great--or uh, the worst.

"A Night at Halsteads"?

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:08:58 PM PDT
JB re Mindless music

I meant music with lyrics, should have made that clearer I guess. Pure music is something totally different and, as a matter of fact, a subject I know little about. I have favorite pieces I listen to, but I have little knowledge of the subject.

Satie's Gynopides, Mendelssohn's Songs Without Words, Beethoven's Ninth, Wagner Overtures and Preludes, Barber's Adagio for Strings, Mahler's Third and Fifth, Rachmaninoff's 3rd--Scott Joplin rags, I love them. (Vivaldi, as you mentioned him, drive me up a wall. Does every "symphony" sound the same to anyone but me?)

Those are some of the "pure" music I like, but I have no background in it to comment intelligently.

I meant witless songs. Ala Gene Simmons and company.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:10:36 PM PDT
jb re George Lucas:

Do you remember when Lucas promised THREE trilogies? The third one would take place AFTER Return of the Jedi, but he was waiting to make them when the stars were old enough to play their characters at the right ages.

I swear this was his plan at one time. Hopefully the world will be spared a geriatric star wars.

Posted on Mar 16, 2012 3:11:06 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Ahem.

Sorry, but apparently this is complete necessary . . .

Vaginal warts.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:16:17 PM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Mar 16, 2012 5:53:51 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:38:03 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Well, that's interesting, TAS. I just typed that w word you had there and *I* got the Red Message of Doom. Why should that be, I wonder? Is it some kind of gender discrimination? I cry foul!

I was trying to tell you I've got a contender in the pipeline tonite . . ."Blow Dry" with Rickman and Nighy. Anyone seen it? It just may be epic!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:41:21 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
@Waltzing Matilda
You are right. A haunting song that most sane aussies see as our unofficial anthem. You really are well versed in all things aussie.
I be impressed. TAS, my man.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:43:42 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
@AC/DC..or Acca Dacca,
It works for me too.
Truly our greatest export!

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 3:46:01 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
New low. Kenny G and Acca Dacca in the same sentence.

How far we have sunk....

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 16, 2012 4:31:53 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
>Thomas A. Stith says:
"JB re Mindless music

I meant music with lyrics"<

Oh, like Van Halen and whoever did the song "Kung Fu Fighting."

I sort of have a weakness for deliberately "dumb" lyrics in pop music. Like Peaches, Beardo, and the prince of Dumb himself, Iggy Pop. . .

http://www.songmeanings.net/songs/view/95959/

So, obviously, I have no problem with AC/DC. No my favorite hard rock fix, but they're alright.
‹ Previous 1 ... 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 ... 400 Next ›
Discussion locked

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  149
Total posts:  10000
Initial post:  Mar 7, 2012
Latest post:  Jun 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 12 customers

Search Customer Discussions