Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Agree Or Disagree

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 512 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:30:57 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Baker: Disagree; we may have common interests, but each person is an individual, and each and every aspect of our being--from our physical and biological traits to our tastes, intellectual and philosophical perceptions--come to define each and every one of us individually. So in essence, no, we are not all alike. For more information, check out the works of Ayn Rand--specifically The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.

Statement: Out of the films nominated for Best Picture in 1983, The Right Stuff should have won instead of Terms of Endearment.

Posted on Nov 1, 2012 7:48:37 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Gordo: Agree
Statement: Terms of Endearment and The Way We Were are both bad soap operas.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:49:27 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
My post got truncated when I was editing. I had nothing to do with that.

I've noticed with my slow connection, sometimes when I edit a post it takes an extra long time to re-post and only a fragment reappears.

Very annoying.

The punchline was that all peoples are more or less alike no matter cultural, language, religious differences... except Luxembourgers, who are pure evil children of the dark, the damned:

http://media.iwm.org.uk/iwm/mediaLib/42/media-42646/large.jpg

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 7:55:38 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 8:02:46 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
You completely misunderstood what I was saying, Gordo, and garbled it up with all that sociopathic psuedo-philosophical Ayn Rand nonsense.
Aside from that, it was a build up to a joke. But you make me wish I was serious all along, because it was part of a larger understanding of human nature, of the law of nature of all living things, than that feeble-minded, hypocritical harpy Rand could ever comprehend.

I've read all the Rand my heart and mind can stand, thank you no thank you.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 1, 2012 8:01:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 1, 2012 8:04:59 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
I respectfully disagree, Mr. K. We're really getting into matters of subtle individual taste here! Both 'Terms of Endearment' and 'The Way We Were' were slightly above-average soapers from my view. I don't have much affection for the genre, but I'd put things like 'Beaches' and 'Steal Magnolias' at the Bottom of the spectrum, things like 'Terms' or 'Valley of the Dolls' near the bottom-middle (not bad: they're too enjoyably trashing and laughable to be altogether "bad"!) ...and 'Written on the Wind' / 'Peyton Place' is middle-high soap opera, while 'Strangers When We Meet' is just about the top of the soap mountain.

STATEMENT: 'The Statement' has Michael Caine's best performance in the past 30 years. And if you haven't seen that: Michael Caine is our greatest living British actor.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 5:44:59 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Baekyr: I am not a big fan of Streisand. Not even of her marvelous voice except her rendition of "Happy Days are Here Again" and the duets she did with Gibbs and Diamond. And I will admit enjoying some of the comedies she did with Ryan O'Neal. This movie had so much hype, I had so many people tell me "you have to see this movie" so I went. In order to have a great romance on the screen, you have to have some "heat" between the lovers. If there was any "heat" between Streisand and Redford, it was a damp squib! The same hype for "Terms" plus it had many of my favorite actors in it. Had always been a fan of Nicholson, MacLaine, saw Jeff Daniels as an up and comer, and after Winger's performance in "Officer and a Gentleman" and "Urban Cowboy" I thought this movie has got to be special. Duh! Whine, whine, whine.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 6:22:55 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 6:25:08 AM PDT
Hikari says:
@UCCC
You're not making this easy for me but,
Disagree: The Statement is a very good performance from Caine, but I give the edge to "Harry Brown". Both performances would have been inconceivable to me back in the "Jaws 4" days. "Greatest living British actor" I cannot determine, but he is surely way up there and deserving of his "Sir". Well done for a Cockney lad to be sure.

STATEMENT: George Clooney is one of the most overrated actors of recent times.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 7:19:42 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
Is Clooney "Overrated" as an actor. I realize he reeceived a supporting Oscar, but I assumed that was more to award his Smug "Out-of-touchness" than his acting abilituy. But the Critical establishment doesn't treat Clooney as they do a number of other actor including DeCaprio. It's clear they have lesser expectations of him. He's received decent reviews as a director. So, I don't Clooney can be overrated as an actor because he's never been rately highly over his ability.

STATEMENT: THe popular theory that John Ford's "My Darling Clemntine" is all about how women like Clementine tamed the West ignores the fact that the movie would not be fundamentally different if the ending had Clementine leaving for Boston instead of staying in Tombstone.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 9:52:41 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 10:16:08 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Mr. Kelley,

I wasn't around for that 'The Way We Were' hype, but I agree that the Streisand-Redford chemistry was nonexistent, not to mention their styles of acting and hairdo were way out of the Period element.

I dislike a lot of things about that movie. Oddly, I like most of the movie around them. Not quite as much as 'Tootsie' or 'Out of Africa'. I think Sidney Pollack did his best work though in these genres he was less familiar with. Of course he was capable enough in the thriller genre ('Three Days of the Condor' being the best of those).
'Terms' is harder to come to terms with ... bad script, soppy direction, bland photography. Yet I was pulled into the movie by the performances. Not by much. Only enough to not quite call it bad.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 10:11:27 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
Re: 'Clementine'... hmm, to be honest I don't see the point ...of the supposed Popular Theory that Ford's MDC is "all about" Clem taming the west...
If the point is that The movie is *not* all about that, then I agree most surely, and the ending doesn't hinge on the validity of that theory.

Statement: Many of the prophecies of 'Fahrenheit 451', book and movie, have come to pass (the flat "Wallscreen" TVs, the banal reality TV immersion in other's lives, the destruction of the richness of our common language through an ever-faster, flashier, image-based, content-less media culture, etc.) or are seemingly coming to pass.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 10:35:49 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Baekyr: I am likely a little harsh in my criticism of Terms. Nicholson is always "working" but seeing him fat and flabby-ah well, your evaluation is solid. I thought and think that 3 Days of the Condor is an excellent movie and watch it anytime it appears on TV. I had read the book (there is a sequel to the book that is somewhat interesting) and loved it. The whole idea of getting paid to read Spy Thriller novels to see if any secret tech was being leaked/or to find new ideas for the CIA laboratories to invent, was just too good. I loved the idea and would have applied for the job in a minute!! James Grady, the author, wrote some other interesting books and one or two not so interesting.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 10:38:25 AM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Baekyr: Agreed. Statement: "The Princess Bride" is a near perfect movie. Cast, Director, Script, performances.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:23:30 PM PDT
In terms of achieving what they set out to achieve, I agree. A great fantasy/comedy/kids film. Enthusiasts of the genre got what they wanted. People not so fond of the genre could offer arguments against the statement, I'm sure.

Statement: One does not have "no taste", but rather varying degrees of good taste or bad taste (oftentimes a healthy mix of both).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:47:32 PM PDT
Agreed.

Statement: The best Chuck Jones short is What's Opera, Doc?.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 3:51:47 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
More accurately, when one has "no taste" they have tastes that are radically different than the accuser. Who see him or herself as having a much subtler palate of taste which while at the same time makes him or her superior to those he or she has accused, he or she also views as more mainstream or at least deserving of mainstream validation.

STATEMENT: People who say Vertigo is the best Hitchcock movie let alone the best movie ever made have no taste.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:53:22 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
No, "Duck Amuck" is much more clever.

For Statement see Above.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 3:57:20 PM PDT
Disagree, as the people who say Vertigo is Hitch's best are displaying their taste in films, ergo "some taste" ,as opposed to "no taste".

STATEMENT: The Oscars are a joke.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:00:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 4:00:55 PM PDT
Agree.

Statement: 2001 is the most evocative science fiction film ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 4:11:04 PM PDT
Yeah, I'd pretty much agree. A string of memorable images can easily be recalled from that film - a bone is lifted into the air and smashed into the ground, the spaceship ballet, Hal's eye, a baby in space (and many more). I'd be reticent to say that it is definitively the most evocative, but it's in the running, no doubt.

STATEMENT: Australian cinema ain't what it used to be.

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 4:38:54 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Nov 2, 2012 4:45:50 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I'll admit not having the best grasp of Australian cinema but Yahoo Serious in Young Einstein seemed a big comedown from the exports of the late '70s and early '80s. What was the last Aussie film to receive significant American attention: Once Were Warriors?

STATEMENT: The Searchers is far from the Best John Ford Western, or John Wayne movie. It's not even in the top ten.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 5:04:57 PM PDT
"What was the last Aussie film to receive significant American attention: Once Were Warriors?"

That one is from New Zealand.

I couldn't tell you what the last Aussie flic to receive significant American attention was. Maybe Happy Feet? Australia? Urghh.

Films like Snowtown, Animal Kingdom, The Proposition, Wolf Creek, Chopper, The Castle, etc, all received a modicum of attention. There are still a handful of good films being made in Oz, but compared to the output of the 60's/70's/80's, it's pretty spare on "masterpieces".

Posted on Nov 2, 2012 5:22:00 PM PDT
Larry Kelley says:
Sloan: "Muriel's Wedding?"

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 6:08:22 PM PDT
'Muriel's Wedding' is certainly worthy of attention. There are some diamonds among the rough.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 2, 2012 7:06:22 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Absolutely agree, C. J....'The Searchers' is mid-range Ford. Lots of great things (the older actors, the cinematography and score) mixed in with some bad stuff (the younger actors, the overly mythic storyline that rings hollow as it does "epic"). Ford has done much better in Westerns and other genres.

Statement: Burton's 'Ed Wood' is the last great black and white movie made in Hollywood (that is, real black and white photography, shot on actual black and white film stock).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 3, 2012 8:27:26 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Baker: Disagree, but only slightly. There has yet to be a superior black and white movie since Ed Wood, but I'd also consider Good Night and Good Luck to be a contender.

Statement: The secret of the universe is...47.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  26
Total posts:  512
Initial post:  Oct 30, 2012
Latest post:  26 days ago

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions