Customer Discussions > Movie forum

▬ ❀ ~ Favorite Cult Films: Continuation Game & Discussion ~ ↻ ▬

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 1000 posts in this discussion
Posted on Nov 9, 2014 10:58:29 PM PST
[Deleted by the author on Nov 9, 2014 10:58:42 PM PST]

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 5:51:11 AM PST
DDDDUH DEEE DUH DEE DAT'S...

It's never over, a revolution of your mind.

I am the white rabbit.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 10, 2012 1:05:30 AM PST
Jonathan says:
I hope Q comes back soon, but in another way I don't... she'd be pissed to see it over already.

Posted on Nov 10, 2012 1:01:23 AM PST
After.....aw Drats!

I miss you already, cult game.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 9:32:03 PM PST
Jonathan says:
He was also a mascot to Nirvana. Saw him at one of their last shows.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 9:25:51 PM PST
Bobcat Goldthwait is a director. (0)(0).

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 8:16:12 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I highly recommend the threads that Toby Sloan started:

Game of Actors & ✈ The Movies Game ☠

The good thing about those is that they are constantly revolving in competition, and it doesn't matter if you were late to the game because the points in each contestant only go from 0 to 10. The rules are different that the standard elimination game, but they're easy to learn. They're my choice for the best games out there at the moment, and sometimes morph into interesting discussions.

Emma's
The Best Sidekick Ever: A GAME
--that's a lot of fun too.

I started a Hitchcock and Director's Game a while back, and new posters are always welcome to those or any other.

Agree Or Disagree is another good thread going on now.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 7:44:14 PM PST
Coach D says:
So, is there an off-season OR, is there another thread you guys/gals could recommend?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 6:08:12 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Thanks again to all of our players.

It was heartening to see the rally of support for 'Dawn' and 'Assault' towards the end there. Sorry that some of our earliest players like Q and 7&7 weren't here to see it. Hope all you MIA contestants, from Alice, to Cilantron, to Mischief, all the way to the original game starter Laust Cauz, are doing well.

I wish I had the time to do a more thorough Runner's-Up list. But it's all there in the archives, how the deal went down.
Some movies like 'The Gang's All Here' and 'What Ever Happened to Baby Jane?' held on much longer than recent entries like 'Clue' and 'Garp', but it would have taken forever to figure out the fairest order to them all.

Great mix of films. It's been fun.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:49:05 PM PST
Epic game! Great list. Helluva lot of fun. Viewing pleasure, the odd moment of viewing hell.

Two thumbs up.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:47:32 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
Thanks for the game, Jon. I caught on later, but it was a genuine good time.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 5:43:05 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
Jon,

Alas all good things must come to an end. Thank you for the fantastic game.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:37:38 PM PST
Jonathan says:
Alright fellow cultists, I'm going to call the game now, since it appears I'm the only one left in this who has seen and liked Resnais's 'Life is a Bed of Roses' the best of the remaining.

I hope you all enjoyed it. It's been a hell of a time. Ups & downs, ins & outs, the whole thing.
On 5:37 PM Pacific standard time, Friday the 9th of November, 2012, here are the top thirty of some 200 or so titles that passed through our cultivated elimination. . .
`

1. 'The Warriors' (1979, Walter Hill; starring: Michael Beck, James Remar, David Patrick Kelly)

2. 'The Rocky Horror Picture Show' (1975, Jim Sharman; starring: Tim Curry, Susan Sarandon, Meat Loaf)

3. 'Modern Romance' (1981, Albert Brooks; starring: Albert Brooks, Bruno Kirby, Bob Einstein)

4. 'The Big Lebowski' (1998, Joel & Ethan Coen; starring: Jeff Bridges, John Goodman, Steve Buscemi)
5. 'Valley of the Dolls' (1967, Mark Robson; starring: Barbara Parkins, Patty Duke, Sharon Tate)
6. 'Donnie Darko' (2001, Richard Kelly; starring: Jake Gyllenhaal, Jenna Malone, Drew Barrymore)
7. 'Sleepaway Camp' (1983, Robert Hiltzik; starring: Felissa Rose, Jonathan Tiersten, Katherine Kamhi)
8. 'Somewhere in Time' (1980, Jeannot Szwarc; starring: Christopher Reeve, Jane Seymour, Christopher Plummer)
9. 'Raising Arizona' (1987, Ethan & Joen Coen; starring: Holly Hunter, Nicolas Cage, John Goodman)
10. 'Streets Of Fire' (1984, Walter Hill; starring: Diane Lane, Michael Paré, Amy Madigan)

11. 'Withnail & I' (1987, Bruce Robinson; starring: Richard E. Grant, Paul McGann, Richard Griffiths)
12. 'Dawn of the Dead' (1979, George A. Romero; starring: Ken Foree, Scott H. Reiniger, David Emge)
13. 'Repo Man' (1984, Alex Cox; starring: Harry Dean Stanton, Emilio Estevez, Olivia Barash)
14. 'The Driver' (1978, Walter Hill; starring: Ryan O'Neal, Bruce Dern, Isabelle Adjani)
15. 'Friday' (1995, F. Gary Gray; starring: Ice Cube, Chris Tucker, Tommy 'Tiny' Lister)
16. 'Heathers' (1988, Michael Lehmann; starring: Winona Ryder, Shannen Doherty, Christian Slater)
17. 'Assault on Precinct 13' (1976, John Carpenter; starring: Darwin Joston, Austin Stoker, Laurie Zimmer)
18. 'Fahrenheit 451' (1966, François Truffaut, Nicolas Roeg; starring: Julie Christie, Oskar Werner, Cyril Cusack)
19. 'Performance' (1968/70, Donald Cammell, Nicolas Roeg; starring: James Fox, Mick Jagger, Anita Pallenberg)
20. 'La Vie est un Roman / Life is a Novel' (1983, Alain Resnais; starring: Vittorio Gassman, Fanny Ardant, Pierre Arditi)

21. 'Eyes without a Face' (1960, Georges Franju; w/ Alida Valli, Pierre Brasseur, Edith Scob)
22. 'Plan 9 from Outer Space' (1959, Edward D. Wood Jr.; w/ Vampira, Bela Lugosi, Criswell)
23. 'Ed Wood' (1994, Tim Burton; w/ Johnny Depp, Martin Landau, Jeffrey Jones)
24. 'Curse of the Demon' (1957, Jacques Tourneur; aka 'Night of the Demon'; w/ Dana Andrews, Niall MacGinnis, Athene Seyler)
25. 'Clue' (1985, Jonathan Lynn; w/ Eileen Brennan, Tim Curry, Madeline Kahn)
26. 'Harold and Maude' (1971, Hal Ashby; w/ Bud Cort, Ruth Gordon, Cyril Cusack)
27. 'The World According to Garp' (1982, George Roy Hill; w/ Mary Beth Hurt, Robin Williams, John Lithgow)
28. 'Hush ... Hush, Sweet Charlotte' (1964, Robert Aldrich; w/ Olivia de Havilland, Bette Davis, Agnes Moorehead)
29. 'The Legend of Lylah Clare' (1968, Robert Aldrich; w/ Kim Novak, Peter Finch, Ernest Borgnine)
30. 'The Gods Must Be Crazy' (1980, Jamie Uys; w/ Marius Weyers, Sandra Prinsloo, N!xau)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 5:09:08 PM PST
Jonathan says:
I call it in favor of 'Assault' simply because the matter was resolved quickly enough and it's clear what JB Taylor's intention was.

Last night on the Movies Game I eliminated 'Natural Born Killers', but Amazon censors deleted my post before Sloan voted (because I used the dreaded B-word in a quote) and I accepted the result of continuing with NBK, because it was first come first serve, no matter how unfair it was that Amazon deleted my post.
I don't feel any need to be consistent in the first-come-first idea, although it looks like Emma was first in graduating 'Fahrenheit', technically. No need to feel sorry about that.

It comes down to intentions, and as long as it's corrected on the same voting day, I'm fine with 'Assault' going before 'Fahrenheit'. I think we all secretly know though, that zombie-like Book People are superior to zombie-like gang members!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 3:18:02 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
It's my bad. I should have paid more attention before I voted.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 3:15:59 PM PST
We usually allow people to go back and add the missed votes, sooooo.....

Assault it is!

Doesn't mean I'm not still torn.

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 2:52:38 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
I concur, though to be honest, I'm very biased. :)

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:51:06 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
Unfortunately , I say assult.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 2:16:33 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 2:29:42 PM PST
Unfortunately , I say burning books .

Not a popular answer I'm sure.

What about Republicans who always vote Republican and neglected to vote?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:53:46 PM PST
Coach D says:
Looks good to me, as JBT voted yesterday and then today. His vote yesterday was +3 for Assault, so we can assume that his vote today would be the same, especially considering where Assault prior to his vote (sitting on 97). What say the instant review judges?

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 1:21:47 PM PST
Referee calls foul (flags go flying). JBT only added one vote to Assault!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 1:08:09 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:28:19 PM PST
El Emmarino says:
After Taylor,

Fahrenheit 451 - 100 =)
Performance - 40
La Vie est un Roman - 19

+1 for Fahrenheit 451....... welcome to the cult hall of fame!

In reply to an earlier post on Nov 9, 2012 11:40:44 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Nov 9, 2012 1:24:39 PM PST
J.B. Taylor says:
After Clyne,

EDIT ***

Assault on Precinct 13 - 100 ********
Fahrenheit 451 - 99
Performance - 40
La Vie est un Roman - 19

+3 Assault on Precinct 13

Sorry Guys, my mistake on only adding one.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 11:13:37 AM PST
Coach D says:
Agggggh! This is close, very close.

Trivia on Assault on Precinct 13:
Following the release of his first feature, Dark Star, John Carpenter was approached by a group of investors who gave him carte blanche to make whatever kind of picture he wanted, albeit with a very limited budget. Although Carpenter wanted to make a Western, he knew he wouldn't have the resources to make a period piece. He wrote this film as a highly stylized, modern-day western, essentially remaking Rio Bravo, which was directed by Carpenter's hero, Howard Hawks. Carpenter acknowledges this debt to Hawks and "Rio Bravo" by using the pseudonym of John T. Chance for his film editor's credit, which was the name of John Wayne's character in "Rio Bravo".

The assault takes place on Precinct 9, Division 13. Many have noted the title misnomer, since there is no "Precinct 13" in the film. At first, Carpenter wanted to call the film "The Anderson Alamo" (the original title of his screenplay), and, at one point, he changed the working title to "The Siege." CKK, the film's distributor, was responsible for the misnomer; they rejected Carpenter's titles and came up with the name "Assault on Precinct 13" (which they felt was more ominous sounding) during post-production.

The precinct's new address, 1977 Ellendale Place (written on a sign erected in front of the building), was director John Carpenter's real address when he first lived in Los Angeles.

Posted on Nov 9, 2012 8:48:17 AM PST
After Diamond Dave Dalton,

Assault on Precinct 13 - 97
Fahrenheit 451 - 99
Performance - 40
La Vie est un Roman - 19

+ Assault
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 70 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  24
Total posts:  1739
Initial post:  Jul 3, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 9, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 5 customers

Search Customer Discussions