Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Jack Reacher

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-20 of 20 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Dec 16, 2012 10:36:19 PM PST
J. Case says:
This looks like a throwback to the Old School 70s and 80s Action movies.
The fighting looks realistic not unrealistic moves.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 11:07:28 AM PST
I know little guys can be really mean, but I have a hard time picturing the diminutive Tom Booze beating anybody up.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 1:48:52 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 18, 2012 2:07:04 PM PST
Despite the quirks of his religious beliefs, Tom Cruise is a damn good actor who has been fortunate to have worked with some of the best actors (Newman, Hoffman, Redford, Streep, Nicholson, etc.) and directors (Scorsese, Kubrick, Levinson, Stone, etc.) in the business. Based on acting alone (not personal life), he's had very few movies that could be considered out-and-out BAD. 'Jack Reacher' stands a very good chance of being a fine film.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 1:54:51 PM PST
Hikari says:
Isn't it a bit of irony that this "Jack Reacher" wouldn't have much of a reach? I got the impression that book Jack Reacher was like, a really tall badazz dude. Haven't read any.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:04:21 PM PST
That is funny. Unlike Rob, I never thought he was a good actor, infact I find him to be a phony in everyway. But people go to his movies so others will keep making movies with him.

Actually I found him to be good in Cocktail, as that was the real him. No acting needed.

Posted on Dec 18, 2012 2:08:25 PM PST
It's pretty hard to deny that he was particularly outstanding in Oliver Stone's 'Born on the Fourth of July'.

But to each their own, I guess.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 2:11:31 PM PST
I did not like that movie at all. You win though, because it gives you one more actor to go see than I have, so you have more possibilities. My movie list is narrower.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:02:56 PM PST
Hikari says:
My favorite Cruise performances:

1. Col. Claus von Stauffenberg, 'Valkyrie'. This could have gone totally sideways and been a Mission Impossible: WW2. That is what I was fully expecting when I went to the theatre. I was so happy to be wrong. In his portrayal of a genuine war hero, Cruise is just right; never too much. His Americanness does not intrude. He digs deep to find some depth I wouldn't have credited him with having. And, although marketed as a star vehicle for him, and while his character is pivotal to nearly every scene, he calibrates his performance to match the outstanding ensemble cast of veteran character actors surrounding him. This is not simply a variation on Ethan Hunt in German uniform. I found it extremely touching.

2. Charlie Babbitt, "Rain Man". Tom inhabits this part like it was written expressly for him. Maybe it was.

3. Mitch McDeere, "The Firm". Sort of a riff on Charlie Babbitt, if Charlie had collected a wife and gone to law school. When John Grisham wrote the book, he had to be envisioning Tom in the lead, because, duh, it's a no-brainer.

Honorable mentions:
-----------------------
"Risky Business"--whoo, what a debut. Well, his debut as a lead.
--------
Mission Impossible. One of those perfect popcorn thrillers that's just a whole lotta fun at the movies. The other three really do not bear mentioning.
----------
"Collateral"--I didn't care for the movie, but Tom was a bit of a revelation as 'Vincent', the ice-cold, gray-haired hit man. Props for playing against type. Or is he? His Risky Business director is on record as recoiling slightly when shaking Cruise's hand when Tom, who had recently completed 'Taps' came to read for 'Joel Goodsen' . . he was quoted as saying he remembers thinking 'This guy is a psychopath'. Maybe. Or just maybe good at playing psychopaths.
----------
"Magolia"--okay, I really hated this movie; it made my skin crawl. But Tom goes balls to the wall as a greasy,long-haired leather pants clad serpentine Lizard King-y character--Dude, way to tank your wholesome image!

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 3:15:37 PM PST
Oz le Fou says:
I hear Cruise's next gig is playing Andre the Giant in 'Andre: Behind the Ropes'.

In reply to an earlier post on Dec 18, 2012 5:26:03 PM PST
I agree that he was good in the Firm. Oblivian might be worth checking out too.

Posted on Dec 20, 2012 9:00:09 PM PST
J. Case says:
At Barnes and Noble there is a Jack Reacher Rules book.

Posted on Dec 29, 2012 2:36:12 PM PST
Last edited by the author on Dec 29, 2012 2:40:11 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
We hear so many people slamming Tom Cruise for his private life that I've found myself wondering about the reason for it. Think of it this way: is Cruise's private life the most messed up in Hollywood today, or even in movie history? Many, many, too many, actors and actresses have had multiple marriages and divorces, many of them far more rancorous and messy than his. For all his odd religious beliefs, we don't read or hear about, let alone see on tv, stories of Tom being drunk in public, fighting in bars, a DUI Cruise crashing into other people's cars or trashing his own with subsequent arrests, and no reports of his being arrested at airports with cocaine or marijuana on his person.

He must lead a very disciplined private life to continue looking as young as he does at 50, so he's most likely not drinking to excess, snorting various illegal powders up his nose, or overeating behind the doors of his home. The closest thing to reported scandals, apart from the divorces, are the occasional stories or rumors of homosexuality. Leaving aside for the moment the fact that none of that is any of our business, none of these alleged encounters seem to have held up under investigation. Sure, Cruise gets his lawyers on these right away - they are attacks on his professional life. Why would anyone expect him to do otherwise, let alone find it suspicious?

Tom Cruise has had one of the most successful acting careers since the dawn of the movies; jealousy in others is only to be expected. He strikes me as someone who has taken his career seriously and has worked hard at it. By all accounts, those qualities aren't to be found in all actors. Tom Cruise is an American success story; why should he be pilloried for it?

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 7:36:02 PM PST
J. Case says:
I saw Jack Reacher Today. A oustanding must see movie. It doesn't move slow, the Villain has a unique name and appearnce, Tom Cruise is outstanding showing Jack Reacher to be a mostly unstoppable force, also Robert Duvall and Tom Cruise on the big screen together again, guns used but more hand to hand fighting.

Posted on Jan 3, 2013 10:08:28 PM PST
Cavaradossi says:
Robert Duvall back in the movies - that's gotta be a good thing. Duvall and Gene Hackman are irreplaceable and deserve to be in movies as long as they want to continue. I recall reading an interview with Hackman a few years back in which he said he was effectively retired because the offers weren't coming in any more. This just isn't right. Bring Hackman back, Hollywood, and keep he and Duvall busy for years to come. They can add to the value of your product, giving it a touch of grace not always in evidence.

Posted on Jan 8, 2013 8:08:43 PM PST
J. Case says:
I'm going to see the movie again.
Also there is something that makes it obvious for a sequel.

Posted on Jan 15, 2013 12:11:29 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Looks good, I'd really like to see it.

All kidding aside, I feel as though Tom Cruise was born with the express purpose of playing "Les Grossman", in Tropic Thunder. Now I can imagine what a lot of you would say to that, but, to me - that - was gold.

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 12:41:40 PM PST
D. Larson says:
Testify, Brother! Les Grossman was by far the best role Mr. Cruise has had in a very long time. Probably the best since "Magnolia"!

"Okay Flaming Dragon, @#$%face. First, take a big step back... and literally @#$% your own face! I don't know what kind of pan-Pacific bul@#$% power play you're trying to pull here, but Asia, Jack, is my territory. So whatever you're thinking, you'd better think again! Otherwise I'm gonna have to head down there and I will rain down an ungodly @#$%ing firestorm upon you! You're gonna have to call the @#$%ing United Nations and get a @#$%ing binding resolution to keep me from @#$%ing destroying you. I am talking scorched-earth, mother@#$%! I will massacre you! I will @#$% you up!"

[hangs up]

To assistant: "Can you find out who that was?"

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 15, 2013 1:35:39 PM PST
Kevin Beirne says:
Absolutely awesome, that scene - hahaha, seriously hilarious!

In reply to an earlier post on Jan 16, 2013 5:53:19 AM PST
Last edited by the author on Jan 16, 2013 5:53:51 AM PST
Billy says:
Agreed that Cruise is at least a pretty good actor. I don't pay any attention at all to that crazy cult stuff he's into.

My approach is that actors don't HAVE personal lives. When I interface with them, they are AT WORK, and that's all that matters. I don't care what's going on in the lives of most of my co-workers, other than a few personal friends among them, so why should I care about what's happening in an actor's life?

Very much looking forward to Oblivion.

Posted on Jan 18, 2013 10:26:56 AM PST
Robert Redford still leads the pack at keeping his private life PRIVATE.
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

ARRAY(0x952940f0)

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  9
Total posts:  20
Initial post:  Dec 16, 2012
Latest post:  Jan 18, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions