Best Books of the Month Shop Men's Shoes Learn more nav_sap_SWP_6M_fly_beacon $5 Albums All-New Amazon Fire TV Grocery Amazon Gift Card Offer jrscwrld jrscwrld jrscwrld  Amazon Echo Starting at $49.99 Kindle Voyage AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Fall Arrivals in Amazon Outdoor Clothing STEM Toys & Games
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Best actor of villainous characters

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 51-75 of 264 posts in this discussion
Posted on May 26, 2011 6:49:29 PM PDT
By the way, looking over wiki's list of horror movies of the 30's, there was "sweeny todd, demon barber of fleet street".

Posted on May 26, 2011 8:07:20 PM PDT
Laust Cawz says:
"90 years ago, I was a freak; today, I'm an amateur."

--John Leslie "Jack The Ripper" Stevenson (David Warner) in "Time After Time" (1979)

Warner actually played one of the good guys in
"The Man With Two Brains" (1983)

Posted on May 27, 2011 6:56:07 AM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
Yeah, I liked Warner in "The Man With Two Brains"....but he still scares me. I LOVE "Time After Time" and always think about it everytime we drive by the Palace of Fine Arts in San Francisco.....and the music soundtrack as well!

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 12, 2012 4:04:17 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@R Barnes- Another great villain role of Karloff's was the character he played in The Black Cat. Bela Lugosi actually plays a sympathetic character in that one too.

Posted on Jun 12, 2012 4:28:53 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 12, 2012 4:38:59 PM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
My favorites are Alan Rickman (Die Hard, Robin Hood, Closet Land), Gary Oldman (Leon:The Professional, True Romance, The Contender, Bram Stoker's Dracula, Hannibal), Basil Rathbone (A Tale Of Two Cities, Robin Hood, The Mark Of Zorro), and Boris Karloff (The Mummy, The Black Cat - 1934 version, The Black Room, The Body Snatcher).

Posted on Jun 25, 2012 8:12:58 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 25, 2012 8:13:25 AM PDT
Peridot says:
Richard Boone was excellent at portraying a multi-dimensioned villainous character. He did this well in THE TALL T with Randolph Scott. His bad guys weren't all bad, which was a new thing in the black and white Fifties wherein he debuted. You wanted him, like the leopard, to change his spots and reform, knowing it wasn't possible and that he had to do as all bad guys did at that time: die.

Boone had a magnificent voice, so wonderful that it got him to Hollywood. An actress friend asked him to help her with a screen test and he agreed to assist her. With his back to the camera, all director Lewis Milestone could hear was the voice of Richard Boone. Milestone said, 'I don't care for the actress but get me that voice!' A star was born. Boone appeared in THE HALLS OF MONTEZUMA and the rest is history.

Alan Rickman may be the inheritor of the Richard Boone mantle. He has an outstanding voice, low and rich and capable of delivering extreme threat and menace. Recently I learned that, like Richard Boone, Alan Rickman came to acting a bit later in life. There's a certain symmetry in that.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 25, 2012 11:16:32 AM PDT
Ms. Brentano says:
@parrotheadtink and Laust Cawz - I don't know if you remember but David Warner has been around for a long time. He appeared in an offbeat comedy back in 1966 called Morgan! (full title: Morgan-A Suitable Case For Treatment) which is a great little film, also starring Vanessa Redgrave (her film debut). The scene with the gorilla suit always makes me laugh.

Posted on Aug 30, 2012 8:53:26 PM PDT
post-1970 so good at being bad they can be identified by one name alone - Walken, De Niro, Malkovich

they also played - Gary Sinise, Glenn Close, Gene Hackman

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 3:04:03 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Ralph Fiennes--- Lord Voldemort

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 3:35:58 PM PDT
Peridot says:
Ralph Fiennes did well as the hateful Nazi Amon Goeth in SCHINDLER'S LIST. However, he's not known for solely villain roles.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 3:39:14 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
He was great in the movie, I agree.

Posted on Sep 26, 2012 4:30:59 PM PDT
Stan Giesea says:
I gotta go with Alan Rickman in DIE HARD and Gary Oldman in AIR FORCE ONE (an over-the-top tour de force if ever there was one), two films that I consider guilty pleasures.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 5:03:53 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Sep 26, 2012 5:04:14 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 5:04:29 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
Die Hard, as a guilty pleasure, no way. Air force one, I can see that being a guilty pleasure, but not Die Hard. That's a good movie all the way through. Even the sequels were good.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 5:36:47 PM PDT
Peridot says:
The single performance I can bear Gary Oldman in is THE FIFTH ELEMENT. I don't like him. He absolutely spoiled BRAM STOKER'S DRACULA, he was so wrong for the part.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 26, 2012 5:43:24 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
I agree, Gary Oldman didn't fit Bram Stokers Dracula at all.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 2:08:20 PM PDT
Peridot says:
That film was ruined for me because of him. Everyone else was well cast but he stood out like a frog in a punchbowl.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 2:12:52 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
I agree. I think Gary Oldman is an incredible actor who can transform himself for any role, but this one in particular, even his skills couldn't make up for the account that he was just flat out wrong for the role.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 2:34:35 PM PDT
Peridot says:
You'll get no argument from me.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 3:28:29 PM PDT
JCRB says:
Do the Avengers count? Tom Hiddleston played Loki so well and so vile in both movies, made even better by him being at first a sympathetic character in a comic book movie.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 3:45:11 PM PDT
Stan Giesea says:
Ramona, I have to respectfully disagree about Gary Oldman's performance in DRACULA. I think he quite literally becomes the shape-shifter that Dracula is meant to be in Bram Stoker's novel. He is essentially a different character in every scene.

As for all the other performers being well-cast, again I must disagree. Keanu Reeves is totally out of his depth, Winona Ryder's accent is woefully inadequate, and in my opinion, Anthony Hopkins gives the worst performance of his career.

I rather like Cary Elwes and Richard E. Grant in the film. However, their roles amount to little more than glorified cameo appearances.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 4:02:33 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
I think the criticism of Keanu Reeves in Dracula is unfair. If this came out after The Matrix people would have looked at it differently. Keanu Reeves is a very talented actor. But in saying that I agree with your opinion of Winona Ryder's accent. It was god-awful.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 5:32:35 PM PDT
"Keanu Reeves is totally out of his depth..."

I was about to post this, then I read your post. It's been said ad nauseum, but Reeves' accent in 'Dracula' was awful. There is a reason it's been said ad nauseum.

Posted on Sep 27, 2012 6:24:02 PM PDT
Stan Giesea says:
JB, I also think that Keanu Reeves is quite talented and can be very good in the right role (THE MATRIX, THE GIFT, BILL AND TED'S EXCELLENT ADVENTURE), but in Coppola's DRACULA, I think he just couldn't find the groove.

In reply to an earlier post on Sep 27, 2012 6:29:12 PM PDT
J.B. Taylor says:
You make a solid point. It definitely wasn't his best film.
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  65
Total posts:  264
Initial post:  May 15, 2011
Latest post:  Feb 1, 2014

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions