Customer Discussions > Movie forum

Best Films About the Roman Empire

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 48 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 8:14:17 PM PDT
Magic door says:
William: No doubt these veritable cretins find their feeble attempts at humor to be droll. The sheer stupidity of some is simply beyond words, is it not. Perhaps one might imagine them throwing feces at each other, laughing in their own filth as they parade about in a sea of soiled nappies. I am glad that some still retain the level of seriousness needed for adult conversation. Frankly, these degenerates make me lament for the intelligence of our race. Feh, to them and theirs!

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 7:39:01 PM PDT
Everything you ever wanted to know about the Roman Empire is featured in the Starz series "Spartucus" which occurs in 70 B.C......& HBO's "Rome" which is set in 40 B.C....then you can follow those up with the "Passion of the Christ" or whatever film about Jesus is to your taste......because my ancestors immigrated from Italy I can't help but wonder if any of them were ancestors of the Romans....."Spartucus" shows you the nasty side of the Romans....whereas "Rome" shows that not all were sadists

Posted on Mar 15, 2013 7:08:32 AM PDT
Curious how some would define hip as irrelevant, illogical, and monumentally stupid.

Not to mention cliche-ridden. Mean streets. How clever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 15, 2013 6:48:16 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
That's what you get for being too hip for the room, Dude.

There are those who would recast "Spartacus" into the mean streets of NYC, and then there are those who wouldn't.

I choose to party with those who would.

Crassus: "Who is Spartacus?!"

First crucified gladiator: "I am Spartacus!"

Second crucified gladiator: "I am Spartacus!"

Third crucified gladiator: "I am Spartacus!"

Fourth crucified gladiator: "Yeah, he's Spartacus, awright! That guy! Now c'mon, can we do somethin' about these freakin' nails?"

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 5:02:31 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
They don't call us degenerates for nothing.

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:53:30 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 4:53:42 PM PDT
Curious how a sensible discussion can degenerate in the hands of some.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 4:34:16 PM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
"Hey, I'm not an animal, you're the one that's an animal. You're full of snails, man. What are you talking about? You walk out with those slaves and low-lifes and degenerates out on the streets and you sell your little oysters for peanuts? For some low-life pimp who stands in the hall? And I'm an animal? You're the one that's an animal, man. I don't go eating oysters and snails with a bunch of killers and junkies like you do. You call that bein' hip? What world are you from?"

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 4:04:51 PM PDT
joanie: Now I know that DL is mixed up.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 1:30:04 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
What, you're telling me an actor of Ustinov's talent and training couldn't pull off a "Hey! I'm walking here!" to an insolent charioteer, or "You take the Appian way across the Tiber borough bridge, you beat all that traffic, I'm tellin' ya!"

"You declaiming to me? I don't seen anybody else here, so you must be declaiming to me, right?"

Tony Curtis: "Snails? Oysters? What're you... Hey, are you coming on to me?"

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 1:11:45 PM PDT
DL: Bad acting makes Cleopatra a good film?

Actually, Cleopatra has a well-written and reasonably intelligent script, and the first half is quite good. The second half is dragged down by Liz and Dick--by Liz as the fishwife of the Nile, and by Burton shamelessly overacting.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 14, 2013 12:41:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 14, 2013 12:42:26 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Bill,

I think ol' D. Larson has his films mixed up~~
I Copied and Pasted his comment, so you would know it wasn't taken out of context
~~~~~ "Quo vadis? I got ya vadis right here!" ~ Peter Ustinov, with a Bronx accent and gesturing rudely~~~~~
Peter Ustinov was born in London England ~~Bronx Accent?????
Tony Curtis~~In "Sparticus" Born in the Bronx~~English Accent??????

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 12:20:15 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
"Quo vadis? I got ya vadis right here!" ~ Peter Ustinov, with a Bronx accent and gesturing rudely.

But here's a vote for Liz 'n' Dick's "Cleopatra", a quick Nile barge trip through the Triumverate and moving briskly on to Augustus. Spectacular visuals worthy of Cecil B., lavish costumes, risible acting and Richard Burton in a leather skirt!

Posted on Mar 14, 2013 11:42:09 AM PDT
W.T. says:
My favorite is "Quo Vadis" simply because Peter Ustinov gives a performance as Nero that is one of the truly greatest acting performances ever.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 12, 2013 5:51:04 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 17, 2013 11:16:37 AM PDT
Teddy says:
Charlie,

You are such a naughty boy~~~~~~~~I think you might have chased some people away, with your astute observations!!!

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 7:22:23 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 12, 2013 7:22:40 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 7:13:52 AM PDT
I cannot help but agree. As a serious student of History and Archaeology, History Channel makes me cringe quite often. Certainly History Channel is for entertainment purposes only...and National Geographic is not much better.

Posted on Mar 12, 2013 6:55:55 AM PDT
D. Larson says:
If it weren't for "Spartacus", would we know that the Romans considered oysters and snails to be equally delicious? And if you put 'em together in like a pizza, mmmm! Mama mia!

And the other Spartacus reminds me that Lucy Lawless as Xena Warrior Princess actually had a thing with Julius Caesar (he was just Julie at the time). There was a bad breakup, he had her crucified, she carried a grudge, she eventually talked Brutus into stabbing him.... Lots of great insights into the history of the early empire!

For the hisotory of the Romans in Judea, you can totally rely on "The Life of Brian"! Biggus Dickus, indeed!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:50:51 PM PDT
Every time I try to watch something about the Roman Empire, there is some guy bedding his mother. Then they bring out the sissy boys.

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 7:43:40 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
stevign,

I said I was outta here~~~but I missed recommending one of the best films ever, extremely educational.
All of the history of the world in under 2 hours~~History of the World Part I
Now I'm really outta here!!!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 7:30:11 PM PDT
stevign says:
I try not to list anything as "The Best". Right now I'm really enjoying the tv series "Spartacus" on the Starz channel. It ain't for everyone though; buckets upon buckets of blood (Kurosawa and Tarantino would love it), full frontal male and female nudity, sex and course language. Surprisingly enough, the writing is actually good, the episodes interesting and the actors can actually act and speak their lines quite well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4WXDJPaHuR4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElnzlfKW5xc

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:50:55 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 5:53:45 PM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:43:15 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
WAS,

Do you enjoy putting others down~~why should you insult my opinion?

The Question was about Films, and my OPINION, is the History Channel trumps most historical films. There have been many versions of different events portrayed on the History Channel.

I'm outta here!!!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 5:35:55 PM PDT

In reply to an earlier post on Mar 11, 2013 5:34:35 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Mar 11, 2013 7:27:14 PM PDT
joaniepony® says:
Steelers fan,

This is a historical Novel ,Exodus, I found very educational as well as an entertaining read.

Jeff Chandler was described to a T, although Paul Newman did a great job, but he was too young for the lead part Exodus

Stick to The History Channel, when the reading eyes start to fail!!

Posted on Mar 11, 2013 3:57:17 PM PDT
Steelers fan says:
Howard Fast wrote the novel.
‹ Previous 1 2 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  20
Total posts:  48
Initial post:  Nov 16, 2012
Latest post:  Mar 15, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions