wrong-Mystic River
right-Dead Man Walking

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 12:32:28 PM PDT
William Hurt
wrong - Kiss Of The Spider Woman
right - Altered States

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 12:43:42 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Might I point out that not all Oscar winners are great actors. I'm just saying.......

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 1:41:10 PM PDT
Severin says:
Bette Davis
won Oscars for: "Dangerous" (1935) and "Jezebel" (1938)
but should have won for: "Of Human Bondage" (1934) and "Dark Victory" (1939)

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 1:52:07 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
James Stewart "The Philadelphia Story" (1940)

Should have one for "The Man Who Shot Liberty Valance" (1962)
also "The Greatest Show on Earth" (1952) was worth a supporting nod

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 1:53:21 PM PDT
Humphrey Bogart
wrong= The African Queen
right= Casablanca

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 3:35:52 PM PDT
Severin says:
Or "The Maltese Falcon." He went through a wide range of emotions in that one, it's as much a classic as "Casablanca."

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 3:42:06 PM PDT
[Deleted by the author on Aug 25, 2012 3:42:51 PM PDT]

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 3:44:58 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
I was just trying to narrow it down, but feel free to expand the category.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 3:45:36 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
I'd go with The Maltese Falcon over Casablanca myself. Love The Maltese Falcon!

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 4:37:40 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:38:19 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
'In a Lonely Place' was Bogie's best performance. But it's the kind of movie and thankless role that never wins awards.

Robert Ryan was probably the best actor of that era never to be nominated, let alone win. Also, the fact that Eddie G. Robinson never won highlights exactly how irrelevant the Oscars were/are.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 5:07:35 PM PDT
J.A. says:
I thought Leonardo should have won for playing "Arnie" in "What's eating Gilbert Grape". I thought it was a better performance than Dustin Hoffman in "Rainman".

I was a bit surprised that Sally Field was not nominated for best supporting actress in "Forrest Gump".

I really don't care for Val Kilmer but his Doc Holiday was the best ever.

Let my thrashing begin! Peace! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 5:23:14 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:23:31 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
Yes, I've seen that Bogart movie 'In a Lonely Place'. It was a very disturbing role. A way before it's time film and performance.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 5:28:11 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
Totally agree about Kilmer. Every time I see him in Tombstone, I just think he should have at the very least been nominated Best Supporting Actor. That was a tough category that year, though. My personal choice would be Kilmer or Penn (for Carlito's Way), but they would have been up against DiCaprio, Fiennes, and Postlethwaite, all deserving of winning.

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 5:36:57 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:39:55 PM PDT
Russell Crowe -- wrong: Gladiator
right: A Beautiful Mind

Paul Newman -- wrong: The Color of Money
right: The Verdict

Robert Redford -- wrong: His Best Director Oscar for Ordinary People. Although Redford did a great directing job, Martin Scorsese should have won that year for directing Raging Bull.
right: Best Actor for Havana

Al Pacino -- wrong: Scent of a Woman
right: The Godfather Part II

Dustin Hoffman -- wrong: Kramer vs. Kramer
right: Little Big Man

Henry Fonda -- wrong: On Golden Pond
right: A Best Actor Oscar for The Grapes of Wrath and a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Once Upon a Time in the West

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 5:43:43 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 5:48:29 PM PDT
BackToGood says:
"Robert Redford -- wrong: His Best Director Oscar for Ordinary People. Although Redford did a great directing job, Martin Scorsese should have won that year for directing Raging Bull."

In the Redford directing category,
wrong-Ordinary People
right-A River Runs Through It

"Dustin Hoffman -- wrong: Kramer vs. Kramer right: Little Big Man"

For Hoffman pre-80s,
wrong-Kramer v Kramer
right-The Graduate or Straw Dogs

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 6:09:27 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 25, 2012 8:18:24 PM PDT
J.A. says:
BTG... I love when Redford directs a sweeping visual delight full of natural beauty. It just seems to fit his style so well. It is easy to tell when a director is passionate about nature.

Hoffman for K vs K was wrong... so very wrong.

Nice to know that I'm not the only one who sees this!!!

Posted on Aug 25, 2012 6:49:12 PM PDT
Jonathan says:
Although I now find it hard to care about any part of Oscar history, I'll try and be good by listing some I do have an interest in, according to the rules.....

1. Jeff Bridges...
Wrong: 'Crazy Heart' ▬▬ Right: 'The Big Lebowski' or 'Fearless'.

2. Denzel Washington...
Wrong: 'Training Day' ▬▬ Right: 'Devil in a Blue Dress'.

3. Cate Blanchett...
Wrong: 'The Aviator' ▬▬ Right: 'Charlotte Gray' or 'Heaven'.

4. Ginger Rogers...
Wrong: 'Kitty Foyle' ▬▬ Right: 'Swing Time' or 'Primrose Path'.

5. Nicole Kidman...
Wrong: 'The Hours' ▬▬ Right: 'The Others' or 'Portrait of a Lady'.

6. Christian Bale...
Wrong: 'The Fighter' ▬▬ Right: 'Recuse Dawn'.

7. Susan Sarandon
Wrong: 'Dead Man Walking' ▬▬ Right: 'Atlantic City'.

8. Daniel Day-Lewis...
Wrong: 'There Will Be Blood' ▬▬ Right: 'Gangs of New York'.

9. James Cagney...
Wrong: 'Yankee Doodle Dandy' ▬▬ Right: 'The Roaring Twenties' or 'Ceiling Zero'.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 10:21:38 PM PDT
Balok says:
@Robert Bykowski:

> Henry Fonda -- wrong: On Golden Pond
> right: A Best Actor Oscar for The Grapes of Wrath and a Best Supporting Actor Oscar for Once Upon a
> Time in the West

I'm pretty sure that his Academy Award for _On Golden Pond_ was a belated apology for his failing to have won for _The Grapes of Wrath_ for what were almost surely political reasons coupled with the realization that this was almost certainly their last chance to make up for that blunder.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 25, 2012 11:07:46 PM PDT
Pastor, my favourite Bogey films are TAQ, C and MF.
At least he won an Oscar. What was bad imhumbleo, was Paul Newman being giving a hurried Oscar for the Color Of Money as he was drawing to the end of his career and he deserved Oscars long long before that.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 12:15:34 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 26, 2012 12:19:19 AM PDT
Jonathan Baker,

Can't agree about Daniel Day-Lewis' performance in 'There Will Be Blood' being wrong. That may very well be the greatest single acting performance I've ever seen in a film. He is our current best living actor, just as Meryl Streep is our current best living actress.

What makes Daniel Day and Meryl both so brilliant is that they really make you believe they ARE the person they're playing. They literally become their roles.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 1:35:06 AM PDT
Jonathan says:
When I saw DD-L in 'Gangs of New York', that character felt brave, fresh and vivid... 'There Will Be Blood' seemed to me a stale rehash with an overdose of John Huston vocal impersonation. It's his most 'actorly' and mannered work to date.
I almost chose 'The Boxer' as the one he should have won for, but that one was almost too subtle. 'Gangs' seems powerful yet lifelike. 'Blood' was larger than life, and I can only imagine on this course that his Abe Lincoln will be a towering pile of ham, but I hope I'm wrong. He was one of the great actors of our time.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 10:37:34 AM PDT
Mike B. says:
I agree about Edward G. Robinson (who was never even nominated). The flip side is Peter O'Toole - still the record holder for most nominations (8 times) with no wins. Though they were awarded honorary oscars (Robinson's posthumously, but he knew it was coming in advance), they remain prime examples of Hollywood getting it wrong and coming through with too little, too late.

Both gave so many fine performances over a period of decades, I couldn't possibly single out which movie they should've won for!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 2:17:26 PM PDT
Severin says:
The award process is very political. The studio has to put the performance up for consideration, there's lobbying, etc. Nicole Kidman wan best actress for "The Hours" even though the lead was divided between her and Mery Streep and Julianne Moore. Sometimes there are sentimental favorite actors who get chosen or awarded because they didn't win previously. They may not win because they won the year before.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 26, 2012 2:39:11 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I am shocked that O'Toole didn't get the standard make-up Oscar for Venus. I suppose if anyone should have beaten him it would have been Forrest Whittaker, but you'd have expected Will Smith and Leo DiCaprio to split of the vote off for different reasons. Add to the fact that Whittaker is for the most part a character actor in a rare lead role (kind of like Broderick Crawford in All the King''s Men), Whittaker was quite the dark horse.
‹ Previous 1 2 3 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  22
Total posts:  58
Initial post:  Aug 25, 2012
Latest post:  Nov 21, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions