Truck Month Spring Reading 2016 Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV with 4k Ultra HD Subscribe & Save Mother's Day Gifts Amazon Gift Card Offer ctstrph2 ctstrph2 ctstrph2  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Fire, Only $39.99 Kindle Paperwhite UniOrlando Shop Now May4th
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

I am OUTRAGED! Burton's "Dark Shadows" is a comedy!

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 976-996 of 996 posts in this discussion
In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 2:27:01 PM PDT
TinkHerToy says:
They're gonna jack up the Munsters. Portia deRossi (Mrs. Ellen deG) will be Lily. omg. More for the purists to get their panties in a bunch all over again. I wish they could come up with original ideas, instead of reboots and reworks and reruns and re-re-REeverything.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 13, 2012 5:02:46 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
What's really important is who's going to be Herman and Grampa. Fred Gwynne added just the right touch of sweetness and lovability to that intimidity form. In the forgotten revival, The Munsters Today, John Schuck played like he was Herman like he was Fred Flintstone. Similarly Howard Morton was a very bland replacement for Al Lewis. Perhaps Jim Pasons as Herman. I can hear his say "Oh goody, Oh goody, Oh goody." I'm not sure who would be good as Grampa. It's much Harder to find older actors with that old world flair. Perhaps Joe Flaherty.

Posted on Jun 15, 2012 11:29:48 PM PDT
D. Bitgood says:
I am OUTRAGED! that this thread is going to die off now that the movie has come and gone.

In reply to an earlier post on Jun 15, 2012 11:36:37 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
It had a pretty good run with some memorable segues such as whether Tolkiien considered Alice in Wonderland a legitamate fantasy.

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 5:15:38 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jun 16, 2012 5:16:37 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
D. Bitgood

Well, there may be more discussion and outrage when Dark Shadows rises up on DVD/BD. Movies have a long afterlife on home video these days, so there is no reason the outrage can't last as long as Barnabas. I, for one, suspect I will still be interested in DS when I'm long in the tooth (incisors, maybe?).

Posted on Jun 16, 2012 10:34:01 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
What ever happened to that shrill Terri person who was all over me for suggesting that people should possibly SEE the movie before deciding what it was or wasn't? Besides mangling her metaphors all over the place, she suggested that I was "disloyal" to Dark Shadows. I always thought that was an interesting concept. Can you BE disloyal to a 40 year old piece of cheesey Americana like DS? I mean, I'm like everyone else. I watched DS as a kid and loved it. And then, I grew up, saw it again on reruns and couldn't help but laugh at how lousy the production values were and also at how ham-fisted some of the acting was. It didn't take away from my enjoyment of the show, just put it in perspective. But to hear Terri and a few others around at the time, you'd have thought I insulted their mothers. And I didn't and don't get that. It's silly and bizarre in the extreme. And again, imagine my surprise when I actually saw the film and found it to be much more of a genuine gothic horror story than a lot of people (and to be fair--the advertisements for the movie itself) would have had you believe. I don't know why the studio marketed the movie the way it did, because I thought they did it a disservice. Yes, there is humor interspersed throughout the movie. I mentioned that in a previous post. But again, it was MUCH closer to the spirit of the original show than I was led to believe.

So, I'm just wondering if any of the "faithful" actually saw the film themselves? I'm betting that most if not all of them have. And if you want to continue the discussion, let's see what some of THEM think about it.

Posted on May 6, 2013 8:06:53 AM PDT
So I guess the fans just might have been right about this turkey after all?

Sometimes you can tell by the people involved how somethings going to turn out.

Posted on May 6, 2013 11:08:52 AM PDT
Vegan Marcos says:
Yeah, you see how the Munsters worked out, right? One movie and the series wasn't picked up. I didn't like it at all. It was missing the charm of the old show. I mean, they tried this with The Adams Family years ago and the films met with some success but none of them were critical successes. The only reason they did well were, in part do to the great writing and excellent acting from Raul Julia and Angelica Huston. Can't say that about DS. And poor Jonny Lee MIller. He's a frigging, brilliant actor and they gave him a crap role in DS. So sad.

Posted on May 6, 2013 11:38:40 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2013 11:39:43 AM PDT
W.T. Keeton says:
The one that still offends me is that "Land of the Lost" was a comedy. I mean, the original was campy by modern standards, but by the standards of Saturday morning kids programming (which is, remember, what it was intended to be), it was intense and dramatic. And it had scripts written by science fiction legends like Ben Bova, Larry Niven, and even Theodore Sturgeon(!). Not to mention that David Gerrold was the creator and wrote a bunch of them too. In terms of sci-fi names, that gives the show about as many big names as even Star Trek! That's remarkable writing talent for a low-budget kids show!

So what if they had taken the efforts of these great masters and had done a legitimate, big budget adventure movie? It would have been amazing. It would have been a tribute to the multiple legends who wrote the original.

But instead, we got a mediocre Will Ferrell vehicle that had little comedic value at all, but which did succeed in mocking the original concept mightily.

Talk about missed opportunities.

Posted on May 6, 2013 1:47:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2013 1:48:37 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
It turned out that I actually enjoyed the movie when I finally saw it. As someone above said, the trailers didn't sell the film well. That's where my original outrage came from - seeing one of the previews which made my stack explode.

I finally succumbed and bought the whole original soap of Dark Shadows when Amazon had it at its lowest price, one it's never been down to again. I am taking my time going through it, but I am having a most enjoyable experience with the old show. Yes, it's everything that's been said about it by the detractors, but here's the thing - the series is still danged entertaining and more than occasionally downright chilling.

I was going to end by saying, "Way to go, Barnabas!", except he hasn't appeared yet in my reviewing.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 1:48:52 PM PDT
Hikari says:
Hey, Cav--

Where you been, mate? Best Detectives is languishing without you. TAS is bashing Bacchus again--you gonna let that stand? :p

(I couldn't.)

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 3:51:15 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2013 3:52:44 PM PDT
I totally feel you on LotL. They had great writers working on that show (and I mean honest to goodness SF writers)! Sure it was a kid's show, and it was fairly low budget, but they didn't dumb it down, and everybody put their hearts into it. You also had some good Sfx guys doing the stop motion and effects. I didn't even have to go see the film version to know what to expect. As I've said many times if you want Hollywood to stop trashing the work of people and putting out crap, then you have to stop feeding the troll. Don't reward them for mocking peoples memories!

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 4:01:06 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 6, 2013 4:02:43 PM PDT
Vegan Marcos says:
The full series has never been sold on http://amazon.com. It was a daily series and many of the episodes are lost. Think All My Children or General Hospital. How would you complete All My Children (the complete series)? You can't.

Ok, I stand corrected. Is this the complete series for real?

Dark Shadows: The Complete Original Series (Deluxe Edition)

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 4:47:07 PM PDT
Well, it's complete as far as all known eps that exist. Some are just lost, but it was a soap opera after all and you could miss an episode, or two or three and not miss a beat.

In reply to an earlier post on May 6, 2013 5:31:52 PM PDT
It's incredible to me that most of the episodes of a 1960's soap opera were salvaged somehow for the home video market; the chances of that should be so slim. I mean, wasn't this show on every weekday afternoon? Modern soaps probably don't keep all their episodes, save for the really big ones (weddings or whatever).

Originally the only reason I knew of "Dark Shadows" was because of its notorious bloopers (since the series was shot rapidly, without any retakes ... there were often mistakes, which were left in). Only by poking around did I learn exactly what the show was about and what it was like. Plus, I watched a few episodes on home video, to sate my curiosity. It must have been fun to follow it during its run on TV in the 60's/70's. I heard that teens rushed home from school activities to tune in, and adults stopped their routine to see what was going on at Collinwood. Quite a wacky plot over the years, including witchcraft, time travel, mad scientists, voodoo, ghosts, werewolves, and tragic romance.

Posted on May 6, 2013 8:11:24 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Yes, that's the one, the deluxe box. Amazingly, all but one of the 1225 episodes of Dark Shadows has survived. Only #1224 is lost, but the soundtrack has survived and the episode was reconstructed fitting stills from the show to it. I'm not there yet, so I can't report on how successful it is, but it's all still amazing that the show has survived and can be enjoyed again so many decades later.

I rushed home from work each day, unless, of course, we had overtime, to catch DS, as did my brothers, who rushed hoe from school to watch it with me. We had a ball, as did a good part of the country. Dark Shadows was something of a national craze there for a few years.

Posted on May 7, 2013 4:31:23 AM PDT
D. Bitgood says:
Unlike now, there wasn't much else on tv of a supernatural flavour back then. I was a kid and would struggle with the rabbit ears to get channel 13 in to catch a glimpse of Dark Shadows in the afternoon after school. Btw, glad to see this thread is still kickin'.

Posted on May 7, 2013 6:17:26 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
D. Bitgood

You mention an important point about Dark Shadows back in the day - there wasn't anything really like it on TV at the time. Supernatural and horror movie fans had to get their fix at the movies. I think it was the novelty of getting something like them at home was a novelty, especially a daily show.

When you think about it, the recent near surfeit of vampire and supernatural series are more than a little in debt to Dark Shadows. Thanks, Dan Curtis.

Posted on May 7, 2013 9:17:19 AM PDT
To echo Captain Renault in Casablanca--I am shocked, shocked, to see this debate resurrected.

The original Dark Shadows was one of the silliest things ever to appear on television--badly acted, written, and produced, and didn't make a lick of sense. If indeed we credit Mr. Curtis for the current glut of vampires, he has much to answer for. The reverence in which the original is held by some is frankly incomprehensible.

Burton's version failed to a degree because he tried to do two things--be faithful to the original, and exploit the absurdity of the original. If he had had to courage to engage in a straightforwardly parodic treatment--and I can think of very few things more ripe for parody than the original--it would have been a much better film. Burton appears to be losing his nerve, based on the extreme variability of his work over the last ten years, and specifically his last three films.

In reply to an earlier post on May 7, 2013 10:14:19 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on May 7, 2013 11:21:22 AM PDT
"To echo Captain Renault in Casablanca--I am shocked, shocked, to see this debate resurrected. "

Lol. Can't keep a good vampire down, or didn't you know that. ?

Posted on May 7, 2013 11:25:16 AM PDT
Or, in this case, a really bad one.
‹ Previous 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 36 37 38 39 40 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  135
Total posts:  996
Initial post:  Mar 17, 2012
Latest post:  May 7, 2013

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 4 customers

Search Customer Discussions