Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What Am I Talking About?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-12 of 12 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 14, 2012 10:38:14 AM PDT
Lev says:
It's a 1950's horror film, b&w, with a shoestring budget. Most of it was shot in an abandoned amusement park. I think it's a cult film now.

The plot: a young woman's car goes into the river. She appears OK after the accident, but she starts having bizarre dreams and flashbacks in which she is being chased through an empty amusement park at night by some very creepy characters.

Could someone please tell me what this film is called?
Your reply to Lev's post:
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 10:41:52 AM PDT
This sounds like Carnival of Souls (The Criterion Collection)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 11:41:49 AM PDT
KinksRock says:
That's definitely it.

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 1:47:00 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 2:10:45 PM PDT
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0055830/combined

True facts:
The only feature ever made by Herk Harvey, filmed in three weeks on a $17,000 budget in and out of Saltair Amusement Park outside Salt Lake City and Lawrence, Kansas.
Harvey's crew only consisted of five other people besides himself.
The shots of the 'ghouls' rising from the Salt Lake were actually filmed in an apartment swimming pool.

The Salt Lake City Chamber of Commerce charged director Herk Harvey $50 for his one-week shoot at the ruined Saltair Pavilion.
The damage to the bridge in the opening scene of the film cost Herk Harvey $17.

It was also the debut of Candace Hilligoss.
Star Candace Hilligoss's agent refused to represent her any further after seeing this film.

Hilligoss's own father refused to ever speak to her again after seeing this movie, going so far as to try to organize the small Utah town to burn her as a witch (the father apparently not knowing the difference between a zombie and a witch).

Okay, that last one was made up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 1:54:01 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Hilligoss went into a deep depression after the film was released, living on a diet of only kidney beans and cranberry juice, and raised alpacas in isolation for the remainder of her days.

I also made that up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 1:55:58 PM PDT
bella7 says:
LOL!

I love alpacas. I got to pet some recently. They are so soft and have such big eyes and long eyelashes. They were quite social/friendly as well.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 2:07:13 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
Be careful. Although they look like llamas, alpacas have a penchant for human flesh and, when they used to live in the wild, they formed packs that stormed people's homes, drawing the strong ones outside with their howls, eating the weak ones like piranhas, then racing off into the night before the strong ones even realized what happened.

All of this is true, except for the parts I made up.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 2:21:45 PM PDT
bella7 says:
Gosh, I never knew that! Thanks KinksRock for the warning. I will heed your advice. And to think those alpacas looking and acted so friendly! Just wolves in sheeps clothing I guess. lol

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 2:25:35 PM PDT
KinksRock says:
They are sneaky b*st*rds!

And watch out for puppies, too!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 2:33:03 PM PDT
bella7 says:
I've also heard that baby birds are quite ferocious!

Posted on Aug 14, 2012 2:42:20 PM PDT
Lev says:
Thank you for identifying this movie for me. Now if we can only find a backer for 'Night of the Living Dead Alpacas'!

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 14, 2012 3:00:31 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 14, 2012 3:03:34 PM PDT
Severin says:
Lev, you may want to buy the RiffTrax version of the movie. If your a fan of Mystery Science Theater 3000 you'll like this. It has Mike Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett ridiculing the movie. You can also play it without their commentary.

RiffTrax: Carnival of Souls - from the stars of Mystery Science Theater 3000!
‹ Previous 1 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  6
Total posts:  12
Initial post:  Aug 14, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 14, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.

Search Customer Discussions