Automotive Deals BOTYSFKT Amazon Fashion Learn more nav_sap_plcc_ascpsc $5 Albums Fire TV Stick Health, Household and Grocery Back to School Ruby jewelry Amazon Cash Back Offer TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection TarantinoCollection  Amazon Echo  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Echo Dot  Amazon Tap  Amazon Echo Introducing new colors All-New Kindle Oasis AutoRip in CDs & Vinyl Water Sports
Customer Discussions > Movie forum

The Dark Knight Rises

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 159 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 11, 2012 10:22:31 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Starts next week.

You know you want to talk about it. Go ahead.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 11:14:15 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 2:08:42 PM PDT
sundancekeed says:
You thought Begins was lame?

I didn't think it was stellar but I did think it was a good foundation for what came after. It sort of combined the origin story with Year One and it introduced Wayne/Batman to a universe where things were as "real" as possible. I liked it though I thought the third act was silly in the extreme.

And honestly, I thought the third act of Dark Knight was weak as well. But Ledger made up for the story deficiencies.

Posted on Jul 11, 2012 10:43:47 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:06:02 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 12, 2012 7:08:15 AM PDT
W.T. Keeton says:
I see there's legitimate "best picture" buzz for "The Dark Knight Rises" already. No superhero movie, and only one fantasy picture has ever won that award. Should be interesting. It may be a case of the Academy feeling that Nolan was robbed by neither "Dark Knight" nor "Inception" winning, so they may pay him back. It's not unusual for them to give "makeup" Oscars even if a given movie isn't necessarily worthy (at this point, I have no idea if "DKR" will be worthy or not, I'm just saying...".

Posted on Jul 12, 2012 7:24:45 AM PDT
Perhaps my most anticipated film of the year, even more so than The Hobbit and Django Unchained. I personally can't wait, as Nolan is one of my favorite filmmakers right now.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 7:25:24 AM PDT
Gordo: What was lame about Batman Begins? I found it to be cleverly written and superior to most other superhero films (not Dark Knight however).

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:50:41 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Pator: re: Batman Begins: One of my complaints when comparing The Amazing Spider-Man to the original Sam Raimi films is that the Raimi films were at least paced better. And it wasn't strictly because Raimi kept the pacing of his films rather tight but because the film is noticeably long at just over 2 hours in length, and there are some pointless filler scenes. Not sure about the filler though, but it definitely took way too long for Batman to become Batman. If anything, Nolan should have trimmed some of Bruce's training and then cut to his return to Gotham. That, or pull a Tarantino and go for nonlinearity, but chances are, Nolan's films aren't suited for such a narrative style.

Is it a bad film? No, but I found it to be Nolan's weakest film to date. Actually, I was only expecting The Dark Knight to be an improvement over Batman Begins; I didn't expect it to be as good as it turned out, however. Actually, here's my breakdown on Nolan's work:

Great: Memento and The Dark Knight
Good: The Prestige and Inception
Meh: Insomnia and Batman Begins (the former is well acted, but the story is painfully predictable and the premise uninteresting)

And that's about it. Because of this, I'd probably rank it among the third most anticipated film of the year strictly because it's coming out sooner than The Hobbit or Django Unchained, and because it could go either way. The Hobbit, on the other hand, only has a slight chance of being bad or, if not that, much, much inferior to The Lord of the Rings trilogy. Because of this, Django Unchained is my number 1 because Tarantino's directorial efforts are guaranteed to be first rate, and the trailer's no exception.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 8:59:48 AM PDT
Gordo: I would personally put Inception up with The Dark Knight. Its casting was near-perfect, Hans Zimmer's score was one of his three best, and the originality was perfect.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 9:01:09 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
WK: Due to the fact that The Dark Knight's snub was highly controversial (even moreso than Wall-E's), the chances of this film becoming a Best Picture nominee seems next to guaranteed. But considering the fact that there has never been a superhero movie that was a nominee for Best Picture to date, don't hold your breath if it doesn't win (the only way those chances could be dashed is if the film recieves a serious critical bashing).

However, this year's ceremony will definitely be interesting if the Best Picture race resembles anything like this this year:

Argo (Ben Affleck definitely deserves some award recognition at this point)
The Avengers (another superhero movie recieving Best Picture buzz)
The Dark Knight Rises
Django Unchained
The Great Gatsby
The Hobbit: An Unexpected Journey
Life of Pi
Moonrising Kingdom (I think this film's nomination is pretty much guaranteed at this point due to the insane amout of promotion it's getting)

And insert two other filler nominees on the offchance something else comes up. As the year is just over halfway done, this list is clearly incomplete. With the possible exception of Moonrising Kingdom, I'm expecting all of these films to make my top 10 of the year list and specifically, TDKR, The Hobbit, and Django Unchained in my top 5.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 9:05:44 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
Mupppets: I frankly haven't heard a good Hans Zimmer score since 1998. Or at least not a great one since The Lion King. And Inception, while good and certainly better than Toy Story 3, is not as clever or original as it thinks it is (visually, most definitely, and it deserved all the awards it took home). Even with the mayhem going on, these dreams feel too organized and precise when they should have been either quiet and somber (like Eyes Wide Shut), or a chaotic mindfauk (like in Paprika). Frankly, I've seen much better films about the nature of the dreamscape include Dreamscape itself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 12, 2012 9:07:21 AM PDT
Gordo: Funny you should bring up The Lion King. I just made a new list on top ten thread. You should check it out, it's bound to start an argument of sorts.

Posted on Jul 13, 2012 2:59:17 PM PDT
sundancekeed says:
David Letterman may or may not have let a BIG one out of the bag in his interview with Anne Hathaway when he offhandedly remarked that Batman dies in the film. Of course, he then denied that he meant it but Hathaway looked pretty freaked about it. That's been rumored to be Nolan's plan to end the series for years. I guess we'll find out next week for sure but I'm wondering how people would feel about that. It would certainly BE an ending.....wouldn't it?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 13, 2012 3:02:18 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
I hear Azrael will be in the film as well. Hmmmm..... didn't he take over when Bane broke Bruce's Back ?

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 8:48:39 AM PDT
sundancekeed says:
Hmmmm......

I thought many more people would be interested in discussing this film. The freaking Dark Shadows thread got tons more response than this. So did the Prometheus one.

Are people burned out on Batman?

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 8:59:38 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
sundancekeed: Dark Shadows turned out to be a far more controversial subject to discuss than TDKR ever was (because the fanbase is freaking nuts), and Prometheus netted far more interesting discussions, especially when the film was finally released in theaters.

TDKR? We know very little about it at this time, and I reckon that many a people won't want to be spoiled so they will try to avoid this thread like the plague. Me? This will probably be the last time I visit this thread before I see the movie for myself because I don't want to know a single review or spoiler or even the slightest hint as to whether or not the film is good.

As for my prediction, I don't think Bruce Wayne will die at the end. Christopher Nolan stated that his Dark Knight trilogy was meant to lead Bruce to become the Batman that everyone knows him to be...you know...before he starts tutoring Robin and Batgirl and all those other sidekicks or replacements. And frankly, I can't imagine Joseph Gordon-Levitt taking over Bruce's position in this movie.

I also suspect that Bane and, perhaps, Catwoman, will have something to do with the villain of the first movie because I heard Liam Neeson's going to make an appearance in this movie (even though it's probably just a flashback).

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 10:23:18 AM PDT
FallenMarvel says:
Unless I see Bane break Batman I just feel eh about. (secretly psyched to see it when it comes out.)

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 11:19:06 AM PDT
You have seen Following haven't you. While the scope isn't as big as the stuff he's done since going Hollywood, but it's a solid first film, and I find that I'll watch it repeatedly more times than I do Batman begins, or TDK. While I really like his take on the Batman, (I think his is the most spot on so far) I don't really find myself watching them again as much as I do Momento , Inception, or Following. I compare it to Danny Boyles first outing with Shallow Grave. Just a very good directorial debut.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 14, 2012 11:21:13 AM PDT
So you think it's going to receive the Peter Jackson , Return of the King treatment, and rack up based on it being the culmination of a successful series?

Posted on Jul 14, 2012 1:33:28 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Son of Batman = Bat-Boy.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 15, 2012 8:54:36 PM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
James Smith: Never saw Following. I've seen all of his other movies though.

And while we're at it, I've never seen Shallow Grave. Frankly, I find Danny Boyle's films corrosive, with the only one I have any liking for is 127 Hours, and that film's only a great movie because of James Franco; it wouldn't have worked without him either way. It's an acting vehicle though; not a genuine article.

And allow me to rephrase what I just said: I don't think TDKR will win. But if it's highly acclaimed, then you can bet on the strong possibility that it will net some serious Oscar nominations including Best Picture, though only as a makeup for TDK's snub. Considering Moonrising Kingdom, Life of Pi, Django Unchained, and a few other upcoming films that may or may not recieve the Academy's attention (this may include The Hobbit as well), it's chances of winning are low. It's relationship to the Best Picture category is, if anything, related more to Toy Story 3's nomination rather than Return of the King's win. I'd be shocked if it actually does win.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 8:27:20 AM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I don't think a nomination for Dark Knight Rise or any other superhero pics is very likely. Since the academy extended the nomination pool the only Sci-Fi type films that were nominated were District 9 and Avatar. District 9 is South African film which is an allegory for apatheid, and Avatar was an earnest ecological fable that borrowed heavily from (among others) Best Picture winner Dances With Wolves. The academy doesn't like the Sci-FI/Fantasy Genre. I imagine RotK only won because the Academy felt they had to honor the immense effort put into it as compared to other films. My guess the only major gold Dark Knight Rises will be up for are supporting awards for Michael Caine or Gary Oldman.

It's odd noone has speculated that it might be Alfred that dies in the film. We have a decidedly Alfred than he should be canonically.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 8:36:49 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
C. J. Vasta: You may very well be right on DKR. However, I'm still convinced that the Academy will try and nominate the film just to avoid getting lynched by fans and critics alike...and that's assuming that the film gets overwhelmingly positive reviews like (or even moreso than) The Dark Knight.

But so far, the year's been pretty kind to me. Other than The Lorax (which I knew was a terrible film), I haven't seen a film that made me angry. Then again, I've skipped over films like Savages, Battleship, What to Expect When You're Expecting, and That's My Boy to name a few.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 8:39:07 AM PDT
W.T. Keeton says:
The biggest thing that DKR might have going for it is that "The Dark Knight" is generally thought to be the specific movie whose snub actually caused the Academy to extend the nomination pool in the first place. That might indicate that DKR is in line for a "make up" Oscar, to right the perceived wrong that the Academy itself has essentially admitted they made against the earlier movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 16, 2012 8:46:34 AM PDT
Mike Gordan says:
WK: That's what I was getting at with DKR for Best Picture. Now whether or not it's a good movie at all is yet to be seen...at least by me, anyways (I reckon I will be the first person on the movie forums to see the movie).
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

Recent discussions in the Movie forum

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  28
Total posts:  159
Initial post:  Jul 11, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 24, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions