Customer Discussions > Movie forum

14 people shot dead, 50 injured, at 'The Dark Knight Rises' premiere in Aurora, Colorado....

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 326 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Jul 20, 2012 2:59:11 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 21, 2012 5:49:20 PM PDT
J. Baker says:
"Early reports indicate that approximately 50 people were hurt and [*Edit* at least 10 were killed immediately, and 2 dying soon after in Hospital] when a masked gunman opened fire during a midnight showing of the 'The Dark Knight Rises' at a mall in Aurora, Colo."
[At Century Theater inside Aurora Mall during a midnight showing of 'The Dark Knight Rises'.]

"According to witness reports on Denver's 9 News, at least one gunman fired into the audience 15 minutes into the midnight showing of the film. Several witnesses reported to 9 News that the gunman - who entered theater number 9 was wearing a gas mask and throwing tear-gas canisters at people in an attempt to stop them fleeing - fired a shotgun multiple times into the audience. Aurora police chief Dan Oates said that 10 died during the attack, and four more died in area hospitals."

Absolutely horrifying, unconscionable.
My sincerest condolences to those struck closest by this tragedy.

---------------------------------------

Updated information:

"For one former San Diego classmate that brought back a memory that now seems particularly unnerving.

"He was a nice guy, who very much wanted to be liked and wanted," the young woman, who did not want to be named, told NBC News. "He was a very, very smart guy. I honestly cannot believe he could do this. I know, I know, everyone says that. But it is truly devastating to me.

"He did not have many friends for someone who wanted to be liked. And he loved all the villains in super-hero stuff, which I did point out as odd. Most people enjoy the hero."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/worldnews/northamerica/usa/9417789/Batman-shooting-suspect-James-Holmes-the-making-of-a-sick-Joker.html

----

Report from N. Y. Daily News about his behavior in prison at Arapahoe County Jail in Centennial, Colo, where Holmes is being held in solitary, the day after capture:

"Let's just say he hasn't shown any remorse," a jail employee told the Daily News. "He thinks he's acting in a movie."

A released inmate said Holmes' behavior behind bars was increasingly irrational.

"He was spitting at the door and spitting at the guards," the inmate told The News. "He's spitting at everything. Dude was acting crazy."

Holmes, 24, was also placed on suicide watch in solitary confinement before eating a jailhouse breakfast of grits and sausage, according to a cafeteria worker.

Two other just-released inmates said the concerns of Arapahoe Detention Center officials over Holmes' life were well-founded.

"All the inmates were talking about killing him," Wayne Medley, 24, said as he left the facility. "Everyone was looking for an opportunity. It's all they could talk about."

"Holmes is due for his first court appearance on Monday morning. He could face the death penalty, if found mentally competent and convicted in the murder spree."

Holmes' next door neighbor Tom Mai said he was "shocked" to hear about the Aurora shooting, describing the alleged shooter as a "very nice guy."

"I cannot imagine this happening," said Mai, 61, who said he has lived here since 1983.

Mai said Holmes was struggling to find a job after studying neuroscience in college, and he went to Colorado to go back to school. The Holmes family was kind, Mai said, inviting his family over for Christmas parties in the 10 years they had been neighbors.

Mai has four children, including 16-year-old Anthony Mai who described James Holmes as "a happy guy who walked around smiling."

The teen said he last saw Holmes about a year ago, and while the two were not close, he got the sense Holmes "had been picked on."

Eleven of the victims shot during the midnight screening of 'The Dark Knight Rises' remain in critical condition Saturday at Colorado hospitals.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 4:18:25 AM PDT
Oz le Fou says:
What the hell could possibly motivate people to do this? It's....beyond horrifying. Sick puppies enabled by the ease with which they can arm themselves. Seriously disturbing stuff.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 4:56:43 AM PDT
bella7 says:
I saw this news story on tv. What is this world coming to? Very sad.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 5:08:57 AM PDT
J. Baker says:
I may regret quoting from this... somehow it's one of the first things that struck me reflecting on this horrible occasion; and the anguished, grasping for philosophy amid the most wretched of human acts, finds some resonance to last night.

~ ~

"How did we lose the good that was given us, let it slip away? Scatter it, careless?... What's keeping us from reaching out, touching the glory?...

"This great evil - where did it come from? What seed, what root did it grow from?
Who's doing this? Who's killing us? Robbing us of light and life. Mocking us with the sight of what we might have known.
Does our ruin benefit the earth? Does it help the grass to grow or the sun to shine? Is this darkness in you too? Have you passed through this night?
One man looks at a dying bird and thinks there's nothing but unanswered pain. That death's got the final word - it's laughing at him. Another man sees that same bird and feels the glory....

Where was it that we were together? Who were you that I lived with, walked with? The brother, the friend. Darkness and light, strife and love - are these the workings of one mind? The features of the same face?
Oh my soul, let me be in you now. Look out through my eyes, look out at the things you made. All things shining."

~ 'The Thin Red Line'; screenplay by Terrence Malick; novel by James Jones.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 5:53:10 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
I'm guessing the majority of people are pretty decent (which is almost harder to say on the internet) but when that 1% or less(?) does something like this, it gets a lot of exposure. Truely sad that we have people that get to that level of sick & twistedness. I certainly don't judge the world as a whole based on extremists or the mentally ill. It's debateable if you don't almost have to be mentally ill to do such stuff. Maybe not a recognized disease per say but there's something wrong in thier brains.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 5:55:56 AM PDT
I just saw this on cnn.com

I have tears in my eyes. It is too horrific. Why, why, why would someone do this?

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 7:55:08 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 9:39:39 AM PDT
Not surprising, really. Every so often in America someone does something abominable like this. Why the shock, people? Aren't you used to it? This is the USA.

I wonder if this sort of thing happens often in other countries. It just seems so prevalent in America. Time after time, some troubled coward gets a gun and plays cowboy (in a mall, high school, anywhere). It's mind-numbingly sickening.

Then you see the speeches on the news afterward, and people saying what a shame it was. But nobody in our government addresses the problem, tries to deal with curtailing it. They need a brick to fall on their heads. (Edit: I am not referring to guns when I say 'the problem'. I mean violence, and the massacre of innocent people.)

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 8:19:46 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 8:20:58 AM PDT
Herr Baron: Such events are commonplace in other parts of the world--generally not at the cinema, to be sure.

There is a term in Jungian psychology for this--participation mystique (it needs to be read as French, hence with the sense of "mystic participation"), meaning unconscious and unquestioning fusion with an idea or concept. It's the root of any type of fanaticism; it's characteristic of primitive thought. (The curious might want to look at Neumann's The Origin and History of Consciousness for an extended treatment.) I will say that this is the first time I've seen actual fanboy violence--but given that death threats have been made against critics who didn't like the film, should we be at all surprised?

And--unpopular as this statement will undoubtedly be--this is what happens when a culture exalts emotion over rationality. The sleep of reason breeds monsters. And innocent people get trapped in the crossfire. This is something that government can't solve--it's a much wider cultural problem.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 8:26:07 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
And what solution do you propose? Make guns harder to get? People will still get them. Have metal detectors EVERYWHERE? I mean this was a movie theatre. Besides, open areas like parks would still be subject to it.

Like you said, it's GOING to happen from time to time.

I'm not trying to be snarky just realistic and a little curious as to what plan you might ACTUALLY have.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 8:28:31 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 8:29:51 AM PDT
More M says:
maybe Amazon should take this Batman flick off of the #$3.99 deal??

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 8:47:01 AM PDT
[Deleted by Amazon on Jul 20, 2012 8:53:54 AM PDT]

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 8:52:31 AM PDT
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 8:52:47 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 10:32:35 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Worst case of disgruntled patron trying to get into a sold-out show in recent memory.

0 of 4 thus far? Fine. Confront horrible tragedy the way you want to. I'll take deadpan black comedy over handwringing and blubbering any day of the decade. Laugh at the void to keep from screaming your vocal cords to shreds.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 9:32:55 AM PDT
re: I'm not trying to be snarky just realistic and a little curious as to what plan you might ACTUALLY have.

Please understand, I never offered a plan or solution. This problem just needs more attention, we need to get to its root.

re: "Make guns harder to get?"

I don't recall mentioning gun control. Guns aren't the heart of the problem; if it wasn't a gun it would be something else he used to murder innocent people.

This violent behavior is a colossal problem, and we seem to grieve and then leave it be until the next massacre. That's my big issue with it. If we can save some bloodshed, all the better. I just don't know how; maybe people need take a long hard look at this issue, what it stems from, how it could be prevented, take steps to helping those who feel the need to act out like a desperado or monster: the psychological aspects, not shutting down the gun shops.

I know I came off callous in my initial response on this thread, but it's numbing. A movie theater. Next it'll be a daycare center.

My heart breaks for the people who were in that theater, and made it out alive. They're going to have to carry on with these emotional scars, with this nightmare coming to them again and again. I hope they seek therapy, that they reach out to family and friends so they can heal a little bit.

Also, the fan aspect is a little scary, too-- why a baby was at a movie around midnight seems questionable to me. Our priorities are screwy.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 9:46:00 AM PDT
bbear99 says:
Where's Batman when you need him.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 9:47:36 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Jul 20, 2012 1:17:17 PM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
[Customers don't think this post adds to the discussion. Show post anyway. Show all unhelpful posts.]

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:07:41 AM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Baron Sardonicus

"......why a baby was at the theatre around midnight....."

Extremely odd at best, especially when you consider TDKR has to be a LOUD movie. There's no way a baby could sleep through that. Was there really no family member they could have left the baby with? This is a problem far too often in movie theatres these days. It used to be no one brought infants and toddlers to movies.

I just hate that anyone was killed, but especially the killing of the baby and children. I just can't fathom how these killers, or any killer for that matter, can live with themselves afterward.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 10:22:44 AM PDT
Apparently the perpetrator was formerly pursuing a PHD in neuroscience. I wonder what could have possibly pushed him to commit such a heinous act.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:26:16 AM PDT
If I went to a late night movie or a big, loud premiere, and I saw a baby there, I would alert the management to have this fixed. That should not even be allowed!

Stupid, selfish parents like this are saying 'Screw You' to everyone else there who wants to enjoy the film. And they are damaging their baby's hearing and eyes and mind. Babies aren't even ready for Sesame Street, much less a dark and scary action movie.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:35:17 AM PDT
S. Stalcup says:
Pastor:
He probably snapped under the pressure of school. It happened up at my school the year before I got here.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:52:00 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
I understand where you're coming from & appreciate it.

My gun mention was speculative since so many people go there. Maybe I should've let you reply before speculate but in doing so I gave my answer to anyone who may have thought that way even if it wasn't you who I was specifically addressing with that post.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:54:56 AM PDT
True.

In hindsight, I see that it could be easy to wonder if I meant that guns were the problem. I actually edited the post to clarify myself.

In reply to an earlier post on Jul 20, 2012 10:56:35 AM PDT
gambitrmp says:
Many of them don't live with themselves afterward. At lot of these end in murder/suicide but I get your point.

Heck, I wonder how many commit suicide because they feel guilty vs. they don't want to rot in jail because it's pretty much going to be one or the other.

It really is a last act of desperation in many cases.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 11:03:10 AM PDT
This is just sad. How this guy flew under the radar is beyond me. He is obviously extremely disturbed to have done this and have his apartment rigged to blow. This needs a resolution like 10 years ago.

Posted on Jul 20, 2012 11:13:38 AM PDT
Kacee says:
I hope justice will be done when the gunman stands trial. I checked Wiki to see if Colorado has the death penalty. Taxpayers shouldn't pay for a prison sentence and he should be executed for the atrocity and suffering he has caused..
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 ... 14 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  46
Total posts:  326
Initial post:  Jul 20, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 17, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 3 customers

Search Customer Discussions