Customer Discussions > Movie forum

What movie would you travel though time to prevent and why?

Sort: Oldest first | Newest first
Showing 1-25 of 132 posts in this discussion
Initial post: Aug 6, 2012 1:23:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 1:24:02 AM PDT
Is there any movie you hate so much that you would build or steal a time machine to go back and prevent it from being made or yourself from seeing it? Part of me wants to choose Popeye because it was the first movie I ever thought was bad and boring and it damaged the magic of movies for me as a child. But Phantom Menace hurts me more profoundly and is even more boring than Popeye. But Mars Attacks and the remake of Planet of the Apes were probably more annoying than even Phantom Menace and seemed to serve no purpose by existing whatsoever.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:28:16 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 1:29:02 AM PDT
Of course there are nobler uses you could put a time machine to. Such as preventing the Holocaust, the Kennedy Assassination, 9/11, etc. And filmwise you could use one to save The Magnificent Ambersons or Touch of Evil from being butchered by the studio, or save James Dean, Brandon Lee, Heath Ledger etc. Or go back and hypnotize or drug a studio chief into greenlighting some movie project that sounds really interesting (e.g. Kubrick's Napolean).

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:31:17 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 1:32:25 AM PDT
What if I narrow it down to what Spielberg film would you most want to prevent? Most people would probably choose A.I. or Hook or maybe Always but I'd be sorely tempted to thwart Temple of Doom or force them to write a better, non-racist script and recast Kate Capshaw. Kingdom of the Crystal Skull was probably bad beyond saving.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:32:20 AM PDT
Cameron Diaz and Meg Ryan films! :)

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 1:33:36 AM PDT
I like When Harry Met Sally and Being John Malkovitch but many of their films have sucked. Jennifer Anniston's pretty bad as well.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:47:46 AM PDT
Jennifer Aniston was great in Friends, and I like some of her films.

I'm not a fan of Andie MacDowell.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 6, 2012 2:06:50 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 2:07:36 AM PDT
If not a Spielberg fan, it might be possible to prevent his entire filmography from eventuating by going back in time and stopping 'Duel' from being made. Maybe 'Jaws'.

Myself, I'd travel back to the set of 'Temple of Doom' and try to get myself a role as one of the slave kids! What would I need? Some make-up and a rag?

But yeah, I may go back, visit George Lucas with a copy of 'Phantom Menace', and show him what he's about to do. Might be worth showing him some photos of fans crying, the burning of mini (life-sized..hehe) Lucas effigies, the critical back-lash and the reactions to Jar-Jar. Then he'll ask, "So, does it make any money?"

Cue me returning to 2012, mission failed.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 4:40:38 AM PDT
K. Rowley says:
Hmm.. probably The Crow - just so that the main actor Brandon Lee wouldn't have to accidently die making it.. Or maybe, Twilight Zone: The Movie - people died making it too..

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 5:33:27 AM PDT
"What movie would you travel though time to prevent and why?"

Peter Jackson's third Hobbit movie. (He won't listen to me today, so I have to go back a year.)

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 1:42:07 PM PDT
Have you guys heard Patton Oswald's routine about going back in time and killing George Lucas with a shovel? Really funny and true.

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 4:04:16 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 6, 2012 4:04:26 PM PDT
I might have to second the Star Wars prequels. Also, can I travel back in time to make Michael Bay's parents never meet?

Posted on Aug 6, 2012 11:19:34 PM PDT
Yes! Michael Bay, Uwe Boll, Stephen Sommers, M Night Shyamalan, Paul W.S. Anderson, and Roland Emmerich.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 1:37:28 AM PDT
Any Tim Burton movie.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 2:06:07 AM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 2:07:03 AM PDT
S. Green says:
Uwe Boll's "Black Dahlia". God, that was awful.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 12:12:06 PM PDT
D. Larson says:
If one had a time machine, one might go back to the night of Adam Sandler's conception and tell his about-to-be mom that she's making a terrible mistake. Persuade her to fake a headache, just not be in the mood, run screaming from the house, whatever it takes.

You could even bribe her not to make baby Adam by using your time machine to step back a little futher in time and open an interest-bearing account for her in the Bank of England in 1823 or so.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 12:28:38 PM PDT
bella7 says:
LOL!! Good one D. Larson.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 12:34:35 PM PDT
vivazappa says:
I'd have made Jim Morrison take a shower not a bath.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 12:45:28 PM PDT
C. J. Vasta says:
I would prefer save stuff that was deleted by the BBC archives due to union rules this includes many episodes of 60s Dr. Who, The Beatles appearance on Top of the Pops there's probably other stuff worth saving. Preventing any major disaster would probably have a lot of "ripple effects' you didn't account for. Although, it would be nice to see the alternate reality where Oliver Stone portrays the Kennedy family as Nazi-loving warmongers rather than seeing JFK as a martyr to the military-industrial complex.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 12:59:21 PM PDT
Last edited by the author on Aug 7, 2012 1:01:16 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
The problem with this whole idea is that it is a virtual certainty that if we could go back in time we would have no more power then than we do today to affect any of these things.

Now, if it were possible, here are three things I would do:

1. Dissuade George Lucas from deciding not to release the unaltered original Star Wars Trilogy on Blu-ray.

2. Dissuade Paul Haggis from writing and directing Crash.

3. Dissuade Gus Van Sant from his odd idea of remaking Psycho.

In reply to an earlier post on Aug 7, 2012 5:51:03 PM PDT
Did you mean Brian DePalma's failed adaptation of James Ellroy's novel The Black Dahlia?

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:01:40 PM PDT
First use of a time machine: prevent studio execs from greenlighting Titanic.
Second use of a time machine: get an uncut copy of The Magnificent Ambersons.
Third use of a time machine: get an uncut copy of Metropolis.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:19:48 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
Danny C. Johnson

"The Black Dahlia"

That's a good suggestion.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:24:56 PM PDT
K. J. Hart says:
Every movie Adam Sandler and Rob Schneider ever appeared in.

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 6:44:33 PM PDT
Green Meanie says:
Unfortunately if you can't go back through time, you will only be going into a parallel world that is similar to our timeline .

Posted on Aug 7, 2012 7:42:32 PM PDT
Cavaradossi says:
William A. Smith

"an uncut copy of Metropolis.."

I heartily second that!
‹ Previous 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next ›
[Add comment]
Add your own message to the discussion
To insert a product link use the format: [[ASIN:ASIN product-title]] (What's this?)
Prompts for sign-in

This discussion

Discussion in:  Movie forum
Participants:  31
Total posts:  132
Initial post:  Aug 6, 2012
Latest post:  Aug 16, 2012

New! Receive e-mail when new posts are made.
Tracked by 2 customers

Search Customer Discussions